Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chinesedemo

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2011
Wireless CarPlay is a must. Makes such a difference imo. Would never go back to wired CarPlay.
The only issue with wireless CarPlay I’m seeing in both a BMW iX and MDX Advanced is the fact that there is an overall negative value on the charging. The charging can’t keep up with the battery usage.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
They can try to change the logos, make them look similar to European luxury cars, etc. but all it amounts to is putting a silk hat on a pig. Hyundai's, Kia's and the like are trash. You can disagree all you want, but all that tells me is that you've never owned a decent vehicle. Has your Kia or Hyundai been recalled lately, due to risk of fire? Seems to happen every couple of years or so.

You do realize this is about Genesis cars right? The video below compares the GV80 to a Bentley Bentayga

For anyone that likes cars, Throttle House on YouTube is so much fun to watch.

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
You do realize this is about Genesis cars right? The video below compares the GV80 to a Bentley Bentayga

For anyone that likes cars, Throttle House on YouTube is so much fun to watch.
Yes, and Genesis is the luxury vehicle division of Hyundai. I'll check out Throttle House on YouTube for sure!

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Debate amongst Orange County plastic surgeons about relative merits of Genesis vs. BMW vs. Mercedes in 3...2...1....
I'm just glad these makers are embracing Car Play. Hearing that Chevy is doing away with it completely in favor of pushing their own custom interface/system feels like another maker with their head in the sand. I can hear the board room now "come on, we can make ours better than Apple!" Sure, I want to pay $150k+ on a loaded Vetter that I can't use my iPhone with. I commented in a previous thread similar to your comment as "Execs demanding software update to allow Car Play again in 3.....2.....1......"

eperitus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2020
Why does Hyundai/Kia put sophisticated electronic controls like rotary knobs RIGHT NEXT to cupholders where liquids spill all the time?

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
I assume this is a hybrid? Edit: no, it's an EV. Confusing "Electrified" with what Toyota now calls their hybrids ...

Our 2022 Tucson PHEV has wireless CarPlay, so does my 2022 Bolt EUV. not sure I would use CarPlay on every drive if I had to plug my phone in ...
First world problem, but ok.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Depends on the type of charging — wireless charging in cars is slow AF, but will kill your battery nonetheless)
Very very true, my Dad has an Volkswagen ID.3 and its kitted out exclusively in USB-C and has a Qi wireless charger. During summertime (in Ireland, so not real summertime) the wireless charger will bake the phone to the point I'll get a message about reduced performance until it cools down (and physically it will be very hot to the touch). When I say summertime, that day could be 24 degrees C, pleasant but not roasting. At these temperatures I wouldn't run the A/C (wouldn't need to) but even when we do its a question of when the phone will start to overheat.

So wireless in a car for me is :
- Slow performance and sluggish interaction
- Overheating during charging (hence undoubtedly hampered battery life)
- The chance of another connected Bluetooth phone connecting first and taking over (and the hassle to deal with all that)

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Bluetooth, I use it everyday for a raft of things, but CarPlay over Bluetooth is an impossible sell to me when theres a USB-C cable around.

Reactions: alexandr

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Very very true, my Dad has an Volkswagen ID.3 and its kitted out exclusively in USB-C and has a Qi wireless charger. During summertime (in Ireland, so not real summertime) the wireless charger will bake the phone to the point I'll get a message about reduced performance until it cools down (and physically it will be very hot to the touch). When I say summertime, that day could be 24 degrees C, pleasant but not roasting. At these temperatures I wouldn't run the A/C (wouldn't need to) but even when we do its a question of when the phone will start to overheat.

So wireless in a car for me is :
- Slow performance and sluggish interaction
- Overheating during charging (hence undoubtedly hampered battery life)
- The chance of another connected Bluetooth phone connecting first and taking over (and the hassle to deal with all that)

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Bluetooth, I use it everyday for a raft of things, but CarPlay over Bluetooth is an impossible sell to me when theres a USB-C cable around.
Yup, I tried a couple of wireless chargers and went back to using an Apple's USB-C MagSafe — everything else heated my phone to the point where the screen was hot to the touch.

Unfortunately the bluetooth connection is problematic even when wires aren't involved. Whenever both me any my wife use the car — even if I was the last one to drive it — my phone doesn't connect automatically, even though I set it as the top device in the list of priorities. So first thing I have to do is send a confirm note blah blah blah disconnect my wive's phone. It's ridiculous!

Reactions: johnmacward

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
USB A???

How long is this car going to take to charge? At least ill be able to use my mophie battery bank from 2016 as a backup in the trunk.

I guess its a positive that you dont have to roll the car over to charge it like Apples mice.

Being serious tho, USB C really should come as standard now. At least one of each port (A and C)
I have a 2021 hyundai sonata with USB A. I ended up buying a USB A and USB C adapter for my iphone 15 pro and it charges pretty fast. Takes about 30 minutes for me to get from 20% to 80%

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So you’re paying $75 grand for a car that gets 236 miles on a charge, can go zero to 60 in about 4 seconds. But has some nice tech. How many are they going to sell? No wonder Tesla is winning the EV race.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Don't you have staff to clean that? I thought everyone did.
Normally yes of course, but circumstances overrode. The primary driver (no longer employed naturally) had demanded time off, in itself a firing offense. Her backup (also let go) found this to be the perfect time to have an aneurysm and was at hospital. There was no way I’d trust the task to either the landscape or house staff.

With the all new, more dedicated vehicle staff, I expect a recall to no longer be necessary. And the ankle monitors help with that messy question: what were you doing all that time you were not driving?

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
My neighbor has a 3 year old G80 with 45,000 miles on it. The interior is falling apart. Not to mention the seats are sized for slender folks. My GF's 17 year old Lexus and my 9 year old BMW look like new compared to the Genesis. Its plush, nice design but cheap materials.

appleCakes

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
California, USA
The real practical issue with wired is "... charging and USB compartment includes a spring-loaded cover to help hide things away, but if you've got a Pro Max-sized ‌iPhone‌ with a cable sticking out the bottom for ‌CarPlay‌, you'll have a very difficult time getting that cover to close properly."

Is there any owner here who can confirm? I assume the phone would need to be put in upside down (phone port on top) or lying flat or sideways. Can the cover close (and phone connector not crushed) with Pro Max iPhones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.