Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
All these newer cars seem to have very proprietary screens. I have to wonder what the aftermarket radio headunit market is going to be like in 10+ years?

FWIW, I have a Kenwood DMX958XR headunit, and it's a lot better than many manufacturer headunits I've seen.

Reactions: TheNewLou

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
All these newer cars seem to have very proprietary screens. I have to wonder what the aftermarket radio headunit market is going to be like in 10+ years?

FWIW, I have a Kenwood DMX958XR headunit, and it's a lot better than many manufacturer headunits I've seen.

It's dying already.

But it's a bigger problem. Most of the manufacturer shipped ones have a design life of 5-8 years or so after which various levels of necromancy will be required to keep the things going. Seen this a lot recently with friends. Two friends had BMW ICE systems fail completely. And some of the car functions are only on the damn screen.

When I bought a car recently, I looked around for some very specific requirements in this space. Found one without an ICE in it at all. Just a dumb BT implementation for music/voice. And tactile controls for everything. (Dacia Duster). Whack it on the dashboard and my 13 pro is the carplay screen and Siri works fine with everything as does the media control stalk and hands free. It's perfect.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
The range is a non-starter for a $65k+ EV. Come on! My Nissan Leaf Plus - at half the price - got that range in 2019!

People buy a car for more than just range. The 2024 Nissan Leaf is FWD, the Genesis is dual motor AWD. The Leaf is smaller than the Genesis. The upper level Leaf SV Plus (60 kWh battery) has half the horsepower of the Genesis. The Genesis is more of a "luxury" vehicle and yes, the price reflects that.

As far as range is concerned, the EPA estimated range of the 2024 Leaf SV Plus (with larger 60 kWh battery) is 212 miles. The range of the Genesis Electrified GV70 is 236 miles.

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
I was in Orlando for Thanksgiving and we rented a Jeep Wrangler with wireless CarPlay --- I mean we didn't rent it because it had wireless CarPlay, my wife really wanted to try driving a Jeep and it happened to have it.

I absolutely love having wireless CarPlay - and sure I prefer using wired CarPlay because, especially when you're traveling, battery life matters. However, it is so super convenient to just hop in the car and have it connect without fumbling for cables.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Great brand, I still miss my G80. Not sure I could live without wireless Carplay (or Android Auto for that matter), kind of an odd thing to leave out on a luxury vehicle.

Reactions: james2538

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Can someone explain what this post means/implies?
Whenever MR posts a review of Car Play integration for a new make/model of car and/or an article about Car Play functionality in either a specific make/model of car or for cars in general, this gives the more well-heeled MR members, who are mainly from SoCal, the opportunity to flex publicly while debating the relative merits of their Mercedes and BMW sedans (and occasionally also Porsche and Tesla), ie, how they really enjoy the Car Play in their BMW XYZ Series, and overall are enjoying their BMW much more than their Mercedes, which they never really liked, and traded in after only one year, etc.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
This is a gorgeous car. I really really regret that 4 years ago I didnt order a Cybertruck. Now I need an alternative while I wait 5 years maybe this can be it.

Last edited:

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Debate amongst Orange County plastic surgeons about relative merits of Genesis vs. BMW vs. Mercedes in 3...2...1....
This is the first time I’ve heard of Genesis, as far as I know, it doesn’t exist in my country. Is it really on the level of BMW and Mercedes?

Usually where I am from for a big vehicle like this it would be BMW vs Mercedes vs Porsche and maybe Audi / Volvo.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
Wired CarPlay is no inconvenience. Every vehicle made with it also has USB ports right above the wireless charging pad. We just bought a couple of one foot long cables, and there,s no mess or tangles, and when my brother showed off his wireless CarPlay, it was nowhere near as responsive. The built-in tech on his BMW works way better. Especially the voice controls. Our 2023 XC40 is wired CarPlay, but you can't integrate with the car like the built-in voice control, which can turn on the heater or AC (including each of the 4 seats and the steering wheel), set the cruise control, change camera views, navigate, turn the interior lights on or off, and way more. Seamlessly.

Funny though: the USB ports in the front are -A, and the ones in the back are -C!

• Haha
Reactions: Pasqualem

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Personally, I prefer a corded connection for CarPlay. Apple still needs to do a lot more work on integration with the automakers, and limiting the connection to a physical wire has been better for me.

I actually have switched back to using a cord for CarPlay even though my Ford EV has Wireless CarPlay built-in.

When using it wirelessly the GPS sensor can become incredibly inaccurate. It will think you're going down side streets at 70MPH when driving on the interstates or suddenly flipping directions (which the algorithm should know is not likely). Doesn't happen all the time but often enough that it's unreliable for navigation.

I've heard mine isn't the only vehicle model that has this issue and it's somewhat prevalent with Wireless CarPlay.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Crazy that this car costs that much and has that many features BUT still doesn't have wireless carplay and relies on USB-A :eek:

This has been an issue on all Hyundai vehicles for like 3 years now. I can't believe they still haven't fixed it. Especially considering paying more money makes you lose Wireless CarPlay.

It's 2023, all vehicles should only be using USB-C by now. Cars manufactured today will be on the road for at least a decade. Can you imagine driving around with some obsolete micro-USB ports from pre-2012? I can't imagine it's a cost cutting measure in this expensive of a vehicle which makes it more confusing.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The range is a non-starter for a $65k+ EV. Come on! My Nissan Leaf Plus - at half the price - got that range in 2019!

100%. 300 miles really should be considered the floor for a premium EV. Especially considering the EPA range is a very optimistic estimate of what an EV can achieve under the best of circumstances.

For instance my Ford has an EPA estimated range of 270 miles. Now that it's 40 degrees outside, I'm not making it more than 210 miles per charge with my highway commute. Cold and high speeds are brutal on EV range. A similar hit on this Genesis would only give you about 185 miles of range.

lxpro

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
Who cares whether it’s USB-A or USB-C? You buy that cable once and forget about it.

There are plenty of wired-to-wireless CarPlay adapters on the market, they work just fine. But for longer rides the battery life of an iPhone becomes an issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: SuperCachetes

CosminM

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
Bucharest
Who cares whether it’s USB-A or USB-C? You buy that cable once and forget about it.

There are plenty of wired-to-wireless CarPlay adapters on the market, they work just fine. But for longer rides the battery life of an iPhone becomes an issue.
For longer rides cable is a issue too…in the summer, my phone always shuts down because overheatig, when i use CarPlay

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
So now it’s a major inconvenience to take a phone out of your pocket 😂😂😂
what have we become?
plus I can’t imagine how awkward it must be driving with one of the larger phones in a pocket. I am a Luddite so still use a 12 mini.
meanwhile I so want to buy a GV70 regular but they don’t sell them in Panama 😢

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Personally, I prefer a corded connection for CarPlay. Apple still needs to do a lot more work on integration with the automakers, and limiting the connection to a physical wire has been better for me.

I'm totally with you on this as wireless CarPlay is often horrendously slow and quite unpredictable. When wired, when I change a song its pretty much instantaneous, with wireless, I could wait up to 3 seconds for a reaction and that's just a crappy experience.

Yea, but you don't always want your phone charging. Sometimes I don't even take my phone out of my pocket, and would hate for that to get in the way of me using CarPlay.

And yet I agree with this also - HOWEVER I found that the majority of USB charging in cars is ridiculously slow that I'm not too worried about killing the battery quicker than usual.

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
They can try to change the logos, make them look similar to European luxury cars, etc. but all it amounts to is putting a silk hat on a pig. Hyundai's, Kia's and the like are trash. You can disagree all you want, but all that tells me is that you've never owned a decent vehicle. Has your Kia or Hyundai been recalled lately, due to risk of fire? Seems to happen every couple of years or so.

tmjdisorder

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
Personally, I wish Apple required car manufacturers to have something besides the touch-screen for interacting with CarPlay. Maybe it's just me, but trying to hit a touch target while driving is challenging.

Reactions: johnmacward

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I'm totally with you on this as wireless CarPlay is often horrendously slow and quite unpredictable. When wired, when I change a song its pretty much instantaneous, with wireless, I could wait up to 3 seconds for a reaction and that's just a crappy experience.

And yet I agree with this also - HOWEVER I found that the majority of USB charging in cars is ridiculously slow that I'm not too worried about killing the battery quicker than usual.
Depends on the type of charging — wireless charging in cars is slow AF, but will kill your battery nonetheless)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.