Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Any idea if this will fit the 4th gen ok? I know it’s not officially supported. From what I can see the 5th gen is 0.5mm thicker.

Edit: I think the best way to know is order one and try it, so I’ve put an order in. My guess is that the 4th gen may just sit a touch more inside the case. Can’t see it being a big deal, 0.5mm is small.

Last edited:

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Any idea if this will fit the 4th gen ok? I know it’s not officially supported. From what I can see the 5th gen is 0.5mm thicker.

Edit: I think the best way to know is order one and try it, so I’ve put an order in. My guess is that the 4th gen may just sit a touch more inside the case. Can’t see it being a big deal, 0.5mm is small.
Only the 12.9" version is thicker.
The 11" version is exactly the same as before.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
I was going to get the magic keyboard for my 2021 iPad 12.9, and also the otterbox 360 for when I don’t need a keyboard…I could get this, an Apple Pencil and it’d cost less than the above!

My only reservation is the kickstand, seems like it’ll only really work on a desk so won’t be great for using it on your lap.

Reactions: Livvie

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I was going to get the magic keyboard for my 2021 iPad 12.9, and also the otterbox 360 for when I don’t need a keyboard…I could get this, an Apple Pencil and it’d cost less than the above!

My only reservation is the kickstand, seems like it’ll only really work on a desk so won’t be great for using it on your lap.
Actually the previous gen seemed to work better than other keyboard cases on your lap. Mind you, the previous gen wasn't magnetic, so the flex you can see in this video will not most likely apply to the newer model.

Reactions: Oreon

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for the video, looks good might get it instead of the magic keyboard this year, coming from a 12.9 with magic keyboard at least it’ll feel like a new device ?

Reactions: jazz1 and slplss

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
Combo Touch definitely delivers more bang for your buck. In order to get the same functionality with the 12.9” MKB, I’d need at least:

MKB - $350
Pitaka Case for protection - $70

Even then, the Pitaka case still doesn’t provide much protection when not connected to MKB.

Only downside would be the slight thicker profile with the LCT, but the versatility (and saving roughly $200) overcomes that for me.

Last edited:

l3uddz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Combo Touch definitely delivers more bang for your buck. In order to get the same functionality with the 12.9” MKB, I’d need at least:

MKB - $350
Pitaka Case for protection - $70

The Pitaka case still doesn’t provide much protection when not connected to MKB.

Only downside would be the slight thicker profile with the LCT, but the versatility (and saving roughly $200) overcomes that for me.

Indeed.

I had initially planned to go with the combo you mentioned, however, cancelled the MKB pre-order and preordered the Combo Touch instead.

Having spent a couple of years using Surface Pro devices, this is going to be a similar experience with a huge $$ saving.

Reactions: papbot

brsilb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2018
Has anyone considered the new Brydge Pro Max +? Priced better than MKB, magnetic. I have that on order.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU

Apparenty the "lapability" won't be so great for the magnetic version of the case.

Reactions: thecore762

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Indeed.

I had initially planned to go with the combo you mentioned, however, cancelled the MKB pre-order and preordered the Combo Touch instead.

Having spent a couple of years using Surface Pro devices, this is going to be a similar experience with a huge $$ saving.
I have both a 12.9 Magic Keyboard and a 3rd gen Smart Keyboard folio. I assumed and Apple finally confirmed that the Magic Keyboard will work with the 5th gen but after taking a close look at the Logitech Combo I’ve been thinking that if I really had to replace the MKB the Logitech might be the better choice. The versatility, just pull off the keyboard when it‘s not needed and still have a multi-position stand for the ipad, being able to place it behind the ipad and use the device vertically even while it‘s attached, make this thing a great, and less expensive, option.

I had looked at Brydge keyboards since they were first offered and while they are beautifully made devices functionality has been terrible reading all the reviews. Hopefully they are at the stage where reliability is a lot better, but with a history of being bigger, heavier and far less reliable I’d have to pass. The drawbacks to the Logitech are mainly my own habits, it would take up greater space than I normally have while using my iPad Pro, lap use would be very problematic if not impossible with the keyboard in place. But that shear versatility and the fact it uses the native connector for use, functionality has been very good I believe, and looks so nice make it very compelling.

Poison Astro

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
Damn, after this video I don‘t know if I should better get the Magic Keyboard. My Logitech 12.9 arrives Tuesday my new iPad probably end of the week.

Reactions: slplss

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Damn, after this video I don‘t know if I should better get the Magic Keyboard. My Logitech 12.9 arrives Tuesday my new iPad probably end of the week.

I think it really depends on how you use the device. I always have mine on my lap sitting on a pillow or a lap desk with a pillow under it. That makes the MKB much better suited for me. Plus what he said about the screen being closer to your face is something that has occurred to me as well. I need it placed like that to feel more useful especially since I will still use the pencil, my finger, or another stylus in addition to the keyboard. The Apple products like the MKB do tend to work just better enough to be noticeable and I will usually choose them over a knockoff. But if my use of the iPP was primarily on a desk or table top I’d be mighty tempted by the Logitech.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Two key things I found with the new combo touch that is not mentioned here in the video that IMO are pretty important. (I’m posting my findings to YouTube now so if you want to see it check my signature as it will be up in about an hour or so from now).

1. The combo touch sits so flush when closed it is rather hard to open - this is especially true when the Apple Pencil is attached.

2. When the combo touch is on the iPad it covers what I believe is the 3rd microphone hole on the left side of the device. It’s completely covered with no cutout at all.

Does anyone know what impact that has and when or what that third pinhole is for? Pretty sure it’s a mic.

With that being said I still prefer the functionality and protection of this case over the Magic Keyboard. I need to do more research to find out the impact of the case completely covering that 3rd pinhole as that might be a dealbreaker for me depending on what it’s actually preventing my iPad from doing (if anything).

Reactions: Bea220 and slplss

clumsythief83

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Anyone knows if the magnet on this keyboard/case is stronger than the previous version?
I love my old combo touch, but sold it because the magnet was too weak for my liking. I then bought the Magic keyboard, but if this new Combo Touch is better, I'm going back.

Last edited:

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone knows if the magnet on this keyboard/case is stronger than the previous version?
I love my old combo touch, but sold it because the magnet was too weak for my liking. I then bought the Magic keyboard, but if this new Combo Touch is better, I'm going back.
For me it’s strong enough but I did not have the prior model so I have nothing to compare it to.

I did a brief swing test and it (the keyboard section) did not fall off. You can’t however fold it back as when you try, it simply detaches. If you want to do that you basically have to detach it and reattach it the opposite direction for it to be in book mode with keyboard attached.

Overall this case is a better value when compared to the magic keyboard but I might not keep it since it completely covers up a microphone port (no cutout at all).

To help show what I am talking about (mic port) and also hopefully answer any other questions here it is up close:

Last edited:

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Are you talking about the left side? Looking at the iPad in keyboard mode? Mine has two cutouts for two microphones then the cutouts for the speakers.

Edit: okay I see you are talking about the bottom hole. I don’t see a problem, since you have the two other mics working. I’ve been on facetime and no one has complained about not hearing me with this case.

I’ll ask them when i switch to the MKB and see if they notice anything different. So far I’ve only had one complaint and that is occasionally the mouse gets lost on the screen. Have to hit the home button and that brings it back. I’m on a beta though, so who knows if it’s related to that.

Last edited:

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
No, mine has those cutouts as well. I am talking about the single microphone located on the side of the iPad opposite of where the Apple Pencil connects.

I did a sample audio recording with that mic not blocked and then again with the case on and I can verify that it does impact the sound slightly.

If you don’t do a lot of recordings or are not so concerned about sound as much this might not be a big deal but for the price I would have liked all these things to have been sorted out.

Reactions: slplss

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
No, mine has those cutouts as well. I am talking about the single microphone located on the side of the iPad opposite of where the Apple Pencil connects.

I did a sample audio recording with that mic not blocked and then again with the case on and I can verify that it does impact the sound slightly.

If you don’t do a lot of recordings or are not so concerned about sound as much this might not be a big deal but for the price I would have liked all these things to have been sorted out.
Well, that's a slight letdown, thanks for the vid. I hope they will update their future batches and fix this design flaw.
Otherwise I'm really satisfied with the case, loving the keyboard and trackpad navigation in iPad OS, its pretty addictive.

Last edited:

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I don’t know if they can do anything about it since that’s where the keyboard has it’s connectors to the case. Glad you went to the extra mile and tested the sound. Personally I wouldn’t do anything that requires better sound, but if I did it is nice to know that switching to my MKB would “fix” the issue. I just like the Touch Combo right now for the better protection when I’m outside or traveling (based on earlier version on my iPP 10.5”)

fnsroot

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
So, I got the Folio Touch this afternoon and I am using it with an iPad Pro 2018 12.9. So far, everything works fine and I can confirm the reddit post that I cited above. However, surprisingly I did not got the pop up with a „hardware is incompatible“ message. The only message that I got was to install the Logitech app.

In sum a few thoughts on the keyboard by considering the older iPad Pro:
  1. The case fits very tightly. The iPad has not any free movement. If I wouldn’t know that there is a difference in thickness, it would not come to my mind that the case officially does not support this older model. Yet, I am using the iPad with a tempered glass screen protector. This might add the few millimeters „missing“.
  2. All functions (i.e., special buttons, gestures) are working.
  3. The keys are good; maybe not on par with the mkb but I like the typing experience. However, this is quite subjective.
  4. The function row is a great enhancement. Direct access to keyboard backlight, brightness or volume level is just great.
  5. The touchpad is great; gestures work almost flawlessly. Nonetheless, I have some kind of „kinetic“ movement. Sometimes when I move too fast (?) it is like the curser is charged and moves further even when I have already stopped moving on the touchpad. It feels like “bumping“ the curser. Fixed by disabling pointer acceleration.
  6. It is huge. Due to the floating design of the magic keyboard, the iPad is way closer in comparison to the Logitech keyboard. From my gut feeling it is almost too far away. This feeling is not based on anything you can’t do (e.g., touch) - it is more the overall experience. The mkb has a more pleasant distance. Morever, it needs way more „surface“ to be properly installed. Yet, I am not sure how this might affect „travel capability“ for instance for flights. In business? No problem (at least outside EU). Premium Eco or coach - no way of using this keyboard. There will be not enough „depth“ on the tables to unfold the keyboard with a proper angle.
Any questions? Feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.