Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I have to say I'm rather disappointed in the iOS 15 reveal yesterday. Was expecting a lot more stuff.

Several big updates expected to be in iOS 15 per a lot of the big name YouTuber's are not coming whatsoever;

- AoD ( Always on Display ). come on Apple this is an important feature we'd like to get on iPhone's.

- Notification revamp so not so cluttered

- Lockscreen revised and updated, adding weather to Lockscreen, etc...

- Revised Settings menu

- Totally new Control Center

- Darker dark mode, meaning even icons and stuff would go dark as well.

- Themes and icon packs officially supported and baked into stock iOS 15. Because last year with iOS 14 and the Shortcuts app allowing some customization that was never available on a non JB iPhone before, people expected Apple to realize it was a fan favorite and much welcomed feature to be able to do icon packs and stuff, so lots expected Apple to take notice and go with it, making it a stock feature that they could have developers charge money for and Apple wouid make coin too. Kinda surprised Apple wouldn't welcome themes or what is available to do right now in iOS 14 but make it work without needing Shortcuts app at least.

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I have to say I'm rather disappointed in the iOS 15 reveal yesterday. Was expecting a lot more stuff.

Several big updates expected to be in iOS 15 per a lot of the big name YouTuber's are not coming whatsoever;

- AoD ( Always on Display ). come on Apple this is an important feature we'd like to get on iPhone's.

- Themes and icon packs officially supported and baked into stock iOS 15. Because last year with iOS 14 and the Shortcuts app allowing some customization that was never available on a non JB iPhone before, people expected Apple to realize it was a fan favorite and much welcomed feature to be able to do icon packs and stuff, so lots expected Apple to take notice and go with it, making it a stock feature that they could have developers charge money for and Apple wouid make coin too. Kinda surprised Apple wouldn't welcome themes or what is available to do right now in iOS 14 but make it work without needing Shortcuts app at least.

AOD, if it ever comes to iPhone, will be a hardware feature, so perhaps with the new phones this fall.

Notifications were revamped, so I think we need to test them about before passing judgment. Maybe we’ll see widgets (e.g. weather) brought to the lockscreen in the future.

Dark app icons and theming would be cool, but that would require every app developer supporting it, and many apps don’t have a light and dark icon variant, so I question how widespread this would ever become. I don’t think we’ll see deep theming.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Who’s that one leaker, I’m not really a fan of. John P. ? He was stating these updates as 99% really coming in WWDC.

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
The one feature I really want on an iPhone is AoD ( Always on Display ). Hopefully it’s not just something for the iPhone 13 only.

If it does come, which I am so hoping it will, It would not be for older ones due to the new Lower Power OLED coming to the 13 is what would allow AOD without much batter impact. So it coming to the older OLED iPhones are unlikely

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Really could have been app updates vs an operating system update. I like the idea of focus, but more just the alternative home screens. I don't want to 1 by 1 add every single contact as "allowed". I want a "work" homescreen from 8-5 and a "personal" for all other hours. I don't need the DND stuff incorporated.

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
or you know, a lot of these "leakers" with "sources" just make stuff up.

Who’s that one leaker, I’m not really a fan of. John P. ? He was stating these updates as 99% really coming in WWDC.

Or to be fair, were fed bad information since they just say what they hear. It could be intentional disinformation too (either for giggles or Apple spreading it).

It would be far from the first time a company put out fake leaks; or Apple in fact (to try to figure out who is leaking).

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I guess I’m just kind of curious some of these YouTube people have a pretty decent track record on leaks and rumors being somewhat correct. And a lot of the stuff I listed in the OP seemed like it was coming or happening in iOS 15 but none of that happened, like not even close like 0%. They were totally wrong.

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
It could be fake leaks by the company itself being circulated for companies to figure out who is leaking it. Give it to a few people, very slightly different to each, and see what news pops up publicly. Then you know who leaked it. Or at least narrow it down to 1 team. It would not be a first.

It's also totally plausible things simply changed last minute; something was not ready to ship etc. and was left out from what was expected. The original iPhone was changed last second causing a two-week delay in the initial manufacturing ramp of the device due to a last minute change to glass from plastic; because Steve Jobs. So its highly plausible for software.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It could be fake leaks by the company itself being circulated for companies to figure out who is leaking it. Give it to a few people, very slightly different to each, and see what news pops up publicly. Then you know who leaked it. Or at least narrow it down to 1 team. It would not be a first.

It's also totally plausible things simply changed last minute; something was not ready to ship etc. and was left out from what was expected.

Except that there is no advantage to the company to put out fake leaks and then under-deliver - you look bad. You would want fake leaks and then deliver more. I think the prognosticators got carried away with their own wish lists coupled with the recent release of powerful devices with great potential.

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
Leaks are not official so how could it make a company look bad? The company never promised anything to anyone. Not until WWDC keynote begins is it official.

It could equally be things changed, or pulled back. It happens. Most of the bigger leakers get some incredibly specific and accurate information; surely from people inside the company.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Leaks are not official so how could it make a company look bad? The company never promised anything to anyone.

But again, there is no good reason to put out false leaks and deliver much less. Unless the leakers are just bad actors out to screw everybody.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Apple already offers an Always-On Display for iPhone. It's called Apple Watch and they'll happily sell one to you.

But for real, as long as the Apple Watch is a thing, don't expect to see an always-on display on the iPhone, ever. That's Apple's "official" solution to notifications while your phone is off/locked.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
The one feature I really want on an iPhone is AoD ( Always on Display ). Hopefully it’s not just something for the iPhone 13 only.
Personally I think there’s zero chance it’ll be on any older device because of the required screen tech.

IIRC the Always On but was meant to be a small subset of the overall screen.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020

- Revised Settings menu

- Totally new Control Center

They're analyst apparently, get yourself a twitter account and you can be one as well.?‍♂️?

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Apple already offers an Always-On Display for iPhone. It's called Apple Watch and they'll happily sell one to you.

But for real, as long as the Apple Watch is a thing, don't expect to see an always-on display on the iPhone, ever. That's Apple's "official" solution to notifications while your phone is off/locked.
You're joking right?
Apple doesn't even include chargers or nothing anymore. It's awful. Samsung and other Android manufacturers seem to be way better + offer better phones and Android has more features.
YouTube Vanced is one of those amazing features.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Yeah nah. ?‍♂️
They do. :)
Also, I respectfully ask you to never ever talk to me. You are on my ignore list. Please do not quote me as no one even asked your opinion about that. All you say is "yeah nah" and react with laughing emojis.

Many Android phones are better and Android is a lot better operating system than iOS. Even for privacy. Want to get rid of Google and ads? Android! YouTube Vanced etc…
Samsung A52 is a 5G phone and a lot cheaper than iPhone SE. Apple doesn't even give you a charger anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.