Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
You're joking right?
Apple doesn't even include chargers or nothing anymore. It's awful. Samsung and other Android manufacturers seem to be way better + offer better phones and Android has more features.
YouTube Vanced is one of those amazing features.
No, I'm not joking - it's pretty clear that's Apple's solution.

If you think a Samsung device or other Android device is better, why not use one of them? I personally don't think anything from Samsung or any other Android brand offers me a better experience than my iPhone. Maybe they have more features, but I prefer quality over quantity, and I would rather have some of the great features Apple has created instead of just having as many things as they can stuff into my phone, or having to set up obnoxious 3rd party services to get half the functionality I'm getting from my Apple devices.

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
No, I'm not joking - it's pretty clear that's Apple's solution.

If you think a Samsung device or other Android device is better, why not use one of them? I personally don't think anything from Samsung or any other Android brand offers me a better experience than my iPhone. Maybe they have more features, but I prefer quality over quantity, and I would rather have some of the great features Apple has created instead of just having as many things as they can stuff into my phone, or having to set up obnoxious 3rd party services to get half the functionality I'm getting from my Apple devices.
I use both. I have Android phones and an iPhone. Try YouTube Vanced and you'll never go back to regular YouTube again.
There are many Android phones out there and most of them have good user experience tbh. I use even $100 Motorola and it runs fine. I can't game on it, but it opens app, receives security updates. I'm looking for a new phone though. I know that whether it'll be iPhone or Android it's going to be a pain in the butt.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I use both. I have Android phones and an iPhone. Try YouTube Vanced and you'll never go back to regular YouTube again.
There are many Android phones out there and most of them have good user experience tbh. I use even $100 Motorola and it runs fine. I can't game on it, but it opens app, receives security updates. I'm looking for a new phone though. I know that whether it'll be iPhone or Android it's going to be a pain in the butt.
I've had many Android phones, running as old as Gingerbread and as new as 10. I've used Vanced and it's just regular YouTube but with the Premium features (which I already have because I have YouTube Premium/YouTube Music).

There are Android phones that have solid user experiences (though none have the flare or smoothness of iOS) - however none of them have an ecosystem like Apple - you can get continuity like features with some third party imperfect workarounds, and some OEMs have tried to emulate their own versions of Apple's experiences, but they all are very sub-par.

I like iOS for its privacy features for third party apps, its overall design and fluid experience, but most importantly, I like iOS and my iPhone because of how interconnected it is with my other Apple devices, in a way no other brand can match.

I have nothing against Android or Android devices (though I love to meme them), but they just aren't for me - not until someone can make an experience with their devices that meets or exceeds what Apple has created.

Reactions: LFC2020

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
But again, there is no good reason to put out false leaks and deliver much less. Unless the leakers are just bad actors out to screw everybody.
Still not getting what isnt being grasped.

Try

Apple didnt say anything official, so they aren't to blame. They didnt say a word officially.

Even with hardware or software, it is not over or under delivering anything. Nothing was ever promised to anyone other than rumors from "unknown sources" via 3rd party leakers/analysts before the even actually happens and announced. Full deniability from Apple.

Disinformation is used all the time to figure out who is leaking it. It is highly possible it happened this time as well.

Realize the 99.9% of their customers dont care about or hear bout any of these leaks; they are normal people, not tech geeks.

And a huge percent of the tech geeks, even if mad like many MR users (like new Macbooks), are still going to run out and empty their wallets for Apple's next product anyway when it does drop. Or buy iPhones and iPads regardless what software feature leaked and didnt come true. Regardless what Apple does. To say this is affecting any sales is simply silly.

How many iPhone 12 120hz etc. features did not end up being true and the best selling phone.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I understand the leaks could be manufactured by Apple themselves to catch the people leaking it. I get that.

But then they showed off iOS 15 yesterday, and it was totally underwhelming, and more like it should be iOS 14.8. Shocking they don't have AoD ( Always on Display ) yet, Android has had it on ****** cheap phones for years with crap displays, I'm not buying the idea it will only come to the iPhone 13 with the newest OLED tech.

And all the other stuff, WTF Apple, wake up. People like to customize their phones, how about support themes and icon packs already. Or at the very freaking least let people place an app icon anywhere they damn well please on their home screen.

More Default setting options, let us choose which apps we want default.

Lockscreen with the Weather on it, hello, that'd be nice.

The other misc. stuff would be nice, but not must haves, like revised Control Center and Settings app.

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
I understand the leaks could be manufactured by Apple themselves to catch the people leaking it. I get that.

But then they showed off iOS 15 yesterday, and it was totally underwhelming, and more like it should be iOS 14.8. Shocking they don't have AoD ( Always on Display ) yet, Android has had it on ****** cheap phones for years with crap displays, I'm not buying the idea it will only come to the iPhone 13 with the newest OLED tech.

And all the other stuff, WTF Apple, wake up. People like to customize their phones, how about support themes and icon packs already. Or at the very freaking least let people place an app icon anywhere they damn well please on their home screen.

The other misc. stuff would be nice, but not must haves, like revised Control Center and Settings app.

Well of course, Im not justifying Apple was disappointing. But everyone saying oh leakers are jokes etc are just off base here.

Things change last minute, especially with software (cant really change hardware that last minute), and they could be intentional fake leaks.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Which is why you and everyone else shouldn’t trust the garbage that is iPhonesoft.Fr and the verifier (Israeli site)

especially iPhonesoft. 3 times in a row they said iPhone SE wouldn’t get OS updates after iOS 12 and 3 times they got it wrong. Idiots they are

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
2 things to remember:

-Apple indicated last year that all features over the life of a major release (e.g., iOS 15) might not all appear in the X.0 version any longer. If it wasn’t ready, it doesn’t make the cut. Who knows how many of the features discussed here fit that category.
-Features that didn’t make Beta 1 can still appear in later betas before the public release. Probably not huge features (like AOD), but certainly some of the rumored ones.

Be patient!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
One of what I felt was a BIG MISS was anything alluding to utilizing the M1 / RAM capability of the new iPad Pro's. Felt more like there was an effort to "standardize" iPadOS across all models.

@Tig Bitties I have to agree, it felt more like 14.8. :confused: Pretty big "Ho Hum".

I do like the improvements to the iPad. But I’m with you: feels like a missed opportunity.

I suspect that there are raging battles within the walls in Cupertino about how far to push the iPad towards Mac-like status. I also suspect that, for now, the Mac forces have prevailed, especially now with the increased capabilities conferred by the M1 (and probably much more robust M1X and M2 on the way).

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
One of what I felt was a BIG MISS was anything alluding to utilizing the M1 / RAM capability of the new iPad Pro's. Felt more like there was an effort to "standardize" iPadOS across all models.

@Tig Bitties I have to agree, it felt more like 14.8. :confused: Pretty big "Ho Hum".

I think it is more they dont want to cannibalize the Macbook.

If you can do 95%+ with an iPad, why would you buy both devices? Thats obviously what Apple wants you to do. Their demo shows that with the iPad, Macbook, and iMac together. Have all 3.

I still dont think as many people would buy one or the other as they think; not more than already do. Touch vs non-touch is a big difference still as is iPad OS vs Mac. Just because they can do similar thing or iPad could run "Pro" apps.

The vast majority of regular people are not spending multiple thousands on both an iPad and Mac computer. They may have a Mac and cheaper iPad, or expensive iPad and cheap computer. One is the primary device.

It's a big miss. It is making a $1000-2000 device basically a big iPhone drawing toy intentionally.

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
Let's not forget this nugget today https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-youtube-tags-for-wwdc-keynote-video.2300075/

There is something odd going on at Apple. Like they planned to release more, even in their own words as per this example, and didnt. Everything they do is intentional, this was not some mistake.

And no, I don't believe Apple marketing did this for views. Like lol. They arent concerned at all with making YouTube ad money from views or how many people watch WWDC.

I dont think this is all on the leakers being "frauds." Something odd is going on behind the scenes.

There is too much smoke not to be fire. Wedbush, Morgan Stanley, Min Chi, a bunch of people have been saying summer. Also the regulatory filing for the laptop battery usually done right at launch to prevent leaking. There was a TON of smoke.

Apple SURELY wants to get Macbooks to people before school. Fall would be a huge miss for sales (unless they simply cannot get supply at all)

Maybe they're mini-LED as rumored and like the iPad having a supply issue so the announcement was held back. It is video, cutting a recorded part out is likely mere minutes to do.

It could really be 100 things why so many people are saying summer or WWDC and sound wrong now. It's not just one random leak.

Last edited:

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
or you know, a lot of these "leakers" with "sources" just make stuff up.
Yep. Psychics from before the internet era would post a 1,000 or more predictions in the newspapers around the first of every year and say those predictions would occur during that year. At the end of the year they could usually claim at least one generic prediction came true. So people with the intelligence of a rubber-duckie would start believing their predictions, even though 999 were wrong and the 1 that was sort of correct was so generic it was up to interpretation. It's an age old line of BS employed by lots of psychics, shamans, gurus, religious leaders, etc. Morons will believe almost anything, and they always had a large audience of morons to tell their predictions. I think 99.9999% of these Youtubers are just full of hot air too. They know if they make a lot of predictions they have a decent chance of getting one or more somewhat correct, and people will remember the correct ones, no matter how generic they were, and conveniently forget about the numerous incorrect predictions.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

Always On Display would be a hardware change, not an OS-level change. Unless Apple puts new panels capable of supporting AoD without impacting battery life in the next iPhone, announcing that feature now is meaningless and pointless. Those cheap Android phones you refer to also have poor battery life, poor build quality, abysmal performance, little to no storage with minimal expansion options, and occupy the bottom of the Android market for a reason...

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
Always On Display would be a hardware change, not an OS-level change. Unless Apple puts new panels capable of supporting AoD without impacting battery life in the next iPhone, announcing that feature now is meaningless and pointless. Those cheap Android phones you refer to also have poor battery life, poor build quality, abysmal performance, little to no storage with minimal expansion options, and occupy the bottom of the Android market for a reason...

True on hardware, it would be an iPhone time announcement, 15.1 type of thing.

Cant get on board with your Android rant. Low-end phones exist for a reason; the same reason people drive 1990 Honda Civics. Not every can buy a $1000 phone; or a $700 phone. The annual mean wage, before the pandemic, was $56k, the median (the middle salary) $42k, BEFORE taxes. You're talking $3,000-3700/month take-home (using those 2 figures as a spread) in a state with no state income tax; way less in most states.

And to be fair budget Android phones had MORE storage than iPhones for a while until only recently the base being 128gb. There were $400 phones with 128 when Apple was charging $999 for 64. And expansion has ever been a thing on iPhone, and basically gone from most high end $1000+ Androids, so not sure how that is relevant to mention.

And second, I would rather have the option to use it than not. Like the stupid home bar on iphone still and why the hell you can't hide it IF YOU WANT TO. Ship it default and let it turn off. Sure AOD without LPTO kills batteries but you have the option if you knowingly choose to use it; it's not on by default. Customer choice though. Something Apple doesnt cater to.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
While I agree it does feel a bit like Apple have lost sight of the woods for the trees and got lost in the minutiae of arcane features, there were definitely still a few I thought sounded interesting. For iOS being able to pull text out of images will probably prove useful, while the identification of objects in photos might also be invaluable! iPad OS has solved some of my biggest complaints with multitasking so I was pretty happy with that too.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
While I agree it does feel a bit like Apple have lost sight of the woods for the trees and got lost in the minutiae of arcane features, there were definitely still a few I thought sounded interesting. For iOS being able to pull text out of images will probably prove useful, while the identification of objects in photos might also be invaluable! iPad OS has solved some of my biggest complaints with multitasking so I was pretty happy with that too.

Just curious .... how did iPadOS 15 solve some of your multi-tasking complaints?

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021

Of course. I dont think people are saying I won't upgrade to iOs15, but the big features that are left for a .0 upgrade are really tiny. And most questionable real world use.

All of the sharing stuff feels weird, bad timing, at least in the US where we are coming out of lockdown now with high enough vaccine rates to go back to some normal. I guess watch parties are a thing but I cant say I know anyone who does that; Im also not a teenager either though anymore. It feels like that is the target audience age of that sort of thing. I surely dont want to watch someone and watch a show at the same time, not be on camera that long (if at all) awkwardly being stared at. It's very very odd. Sharing screen is nice at least and possibly far more useful.

And they addressed FaceTime like that is the only means of people commutation remotely. Stuff like Mail hasnt been touched in years; seems like the red headed step child. Like zero upgrades other than the privacy stuff which is not really attached to changes to the app itself.

Messages got some cool little upgrades, but more cosumery stuff. The sharing links etc is nice, but unless adopted it will only matter if you use all Apple services. Same thing with IDs in wallet; cool if your state bothers to adopt that. We saw that with app snippets and I have never seen or used one in real life in the year since announced as a big deal.

It feels like they are all over the place here on what they want iOS (and worse iPad, a whole other discussion) to be 1, 2, 3 years away.

Like notifications got somewhere, but still not great. Android still has general notifications beat by a mile; all Apple had to do was borrow some of that.

Widgets not going interactive is a HUGE miss. So is theming icons; that could be a whole store and revenue stream for Apply rather than the hacky way on Shortcuts.

It just feels very flat; not 1 great feature to get anyone excited, really.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Just curious .... how did iPadOS 15 solve some of your multi-tasking complaints?
With the way it works in 14, you have to keep anything you want to use with multitasking in the dock (or exit your app, grab the second one from the home screen, and go back in) now you both have app library in the dock anyway, and you can switch out apps not in your dock directly without having to exit split view. I guess it's not a gigantic functionality panacea, it just makes it a bit less clunky to operate.

Reactions: dk001

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Of course. I dont think people are saying I won't upgrade to iOs15, but the big features that are left for a .0 upgrade are really tiny. And most questionable real world use.

All of the sharing stuff feels weird, bad timing, at least in the US where we are coming out of lockdown now with high enough vaccine rates to go back to some normal. I guess watch parties are a thing but I cant say I know anyone who does that; Im also not a teenager either though anymore. It feels like that is the target audience age of that sort of thing. I surely dont want to watch someone and watch a show at the same time, not be on camera that long (if at all) awkwardly being stared at. It's very very odd. Sharing screen is nice at least and possibly far more useful.

And they addressed FaceTime like that is the only means of people commutation remotely. Stuff like Mail hasnt been touched in years; seems like the red headed step child. Like zero upgrades other than the privacy stuff which is not really attached to changes to the app itself.

Messages got some cool little upgrades, but more cosumery stuff. The sharing links etc is nice, but unless adopted it will only matter if you use all Apple services. Same thing with IDs in wallet; cool if your state bothers to adopt that. We saw that with app snippets and I have never seen or used one in real life in the year since announced as a big deal.

It feels like they are all over the place here on what they want iOS (and worse iPad, a whole other discussion) to be 1, 2, 3 years away.

Like notifications got somewhere, but still not great. Android still has general notifications beat by a mile; all Apple had to do was borrow some of that.

Widgets not going interactive is a HUGE miss. So is theming icons; that could be a whole store and revenue stream for Apply rather than the hacky way on Shortcuts.

It just feels very flat; not 1 great feature to get anyone excited, really.
Sure, I do agree viz the lack of big tentpole features, it does feel like picking through crumbs a bit to find something interesting. Just wanted to point out that they are there (well, YMMV). Overall I do get the impression they're drifting a bit, I don't think it helps that its been so long since we've had any really significant aesthetic changes (Apart from dark mode I guess, but even that was just a variation on a theme). iOS 7 was the last big one, I guess you could say iOS 10 refined that not insignificantly, but that was 5 versions back now.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
With the way it works in 14, you have to keep anything you want to use with multitasking in the dock (or exit your app, grab the second one from the home screen, and go back in) now you both have app library in the dock anyway, and you can switch out apps not in your dock directly without having to exit split view. I guess it's not a gigantic functionality panacea, it just makes it a bit less clunky to operate.

Thanks! Same for me. Better screen handling.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
This almost seems like Apple is trolling us, and this is really a 14.8 update, and not the real big annual next gen iOS 15 release. They barely changed or added anything, it seems like such a minor release, compared to what all the YouTuber's were saying was coming.

Reactions: redbeard331

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
The one feature I really want on an iPhone is AoD ( Always on Display ). Hopefully it’s not just something for the iPhone 13 only.

Leave it to Apple to come out with a LTPO OLED screen and do nothing with it. With their recent track record of doing the least possible with iOS and the iPhone I believe we’ll still be hoping for stuff like AOD when iOS 25 is about to come out.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
With the crappy iOS 15 reveal, I'm pretty much gonna go back to my tried and true love, the Google Pixel.

As long as there's a Pixel 6 XL coming, and it's supposed to be a high end flagship, I'm probably going back.

Was so excited for iOS 15 after what I thought was coming, but 0% of what I expected is coming, meaning nothing. F crApple.

It sucks, because iOS 13 and especially 14 had great updates and long wanted features added, I was thinking iOS 15 wouid continue that. But this reveal was so lackluster and lame like Apple gave up and did practically nothing for 15.

Reactions: jk1221
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.