Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
I'm on Ventura 13.6.4, M2 Max MacStudio.

I tried to install Safari 17.3 via Software Update and via Standalone Installer.

Both times the install fails. (An error occurred while running scripts from the package "Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg".)

In the log file this line stands out:
Jan 24 02:04:32 MyMacStudio system_installd[696]: postinstall: Failed to run script graftCryptex.sh at /Library/Apple/System/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager-SystemSoftware/792E7AF7-E379-43D3-A731-2DAA807600B8.activeSandbox/OpenPath.4ptSk1/Scripts/com.apple.pkg.Safari17.3VenturaAuto.5sBPgW/postinstall line 45.

Anyone else?
Any tips, hints, solutions?
There is also a Thread at the Apple Discussions...

Thank you!

EDIT: Anyone else who is having this problem: Could you please name your processor? Maybe this is M2-specific? All error reports I've seen so far specifically mention M2.

EDIT 2: As of today (Jan 29th), Apple seems to have fixed the problem. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: katbel

MircoT

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Venice, Italy.
same problem here:

Screenshot 2024-01-23 alle 12.31.13.png

I tried installing it before and after the Ventura update, but got same error.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
This is the package for Ventura, try to give it Full Disk Access before installing
https://swcdn.apple.com/content/dow...bjo97kd2zgan9ng0274/Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg
Thank you.
Could you please elaborate on how to give Full Disk Access to a .pkg?

I tried adding the .pkg to Preferences -> Security -> Full Disk Access, but this didn't work. .pkg is grayed out. It seems that only .app's can be given Full Disk Access.
I also tried to give Full Disk Access to System -> Library -> CoreServices -> Installer.app, but this didn't make any difference either. Installer still fails with the same error message.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
In the meantime, I’ve tested on Ventura and this worked:
- give Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) Full Disk Access in System Settings – Privacy and Security – Full Disk Access
"Change Privacy & Security settings on Mac" https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-privacy-security-settings-on-mac-mchl211c911f/mac

- install the pkg from Terminal

Code:
sudo installer -verbose -pkg ~/Downloads/Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg -target /

The command assumes Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg was downloaded in ~/Downloads/.
If it’s not there, replace ~/Downloads/Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg with the correct path.
InsallSafariPkg.jpg
My previous suggestion was based on comments from this thread “Install with Pkg file failed”https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/install-with-pkg-file-failed.2367425/

• Love
Reactions: camelia

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
In the meantime, I’ve tested on Ventura and this worked:
- give Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) Full Disk Access in System Settings – Privacy and Security – Full Disk Access
"Change Privacy & Security settings on Mac" https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-privacy-security-settings-on-mac-mchl211c911f/mac

- install the pkg from Terminal

Code:

The command assumes Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg was downloaded in ~/Downloads/.
If it’s not there, replace ~/Downloads/Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg with the correct path.
View attachment 2340706
My previous suggestion was based on comments from this thread “Install with Pkg file failed”https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/install-with-pkg-file-failed.2367425/
Thank you!

Unfortunately this did not work either...

Code:
installer: Package name is Safari17.3VenturaAuto
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: Installation vorbereiten ….....
installer: Volume vorbereiten ….....
installer: „Safari17.3VenturaAuto“ vorbereiten ….....
installer: Warten, bis andere Installationen abgeschlossen werden ….....
installer: Installation konfigurieren ….....
installer:     
#
installer: Dateien schreiben ….....
#
installer: Objekte an Zielort bewegen ….....
#
installer: Paketskripte ausführen ….....
installer: Pakete überprüfen ….....
#
installer: The install failed. (Die Installation ist aufgrund eines Fehlers fehlgeschlagen. Wende dich an den Hersteller der Software. Beim Ausführen der Skripts aus dem Paket „Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg“ ist ein Fehler aufgetreten.)

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Thank you!

I'm booted in safe mode now.
Tried software update, Standalone Installer, and Terminal command.
No luck. Still same error message.

Installer LogFile attached.

Attachments

• Installer Log.txt
    20.6 KB · Views: 47

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Ventura has an update as well, 13.6.4. Maybe Safari 17.3 is included there too?
Thank you.

I'm on 13.6.4 already.
In my experience, Safari has always been a separate download. (at least for the last few years...)

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
I just checked the package that bogdanw nicely offered to us to download and retry

I used Suspicious Package to check it . I found this warning: could be because of that? View attachment 2340760
I honestly don't think so.

I have 3 machines running Ventura 13.6.4. On 2 of them (both M1) the Safari Update installed fine. Only on my M2Max MacStudio it did not.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Ventura has an update as well, 13.6.4. Maybe Safari 17.3 is included there too?
Only on the latest macOS, Sonoma now, Safari is included in the OS update. On Monterey and Ventura, Safari is separate.
I used Suspicious Package to check it . I found this warning: could be because of that?
The log posted by @tonmischa #10 shows “postinstall: Failed to run script graftCryptex.sh”, so not one of the ones Suspicious Package flags as using depreciated runtime.

This is the pkg for Monterey, it should work on Ventura too
https://swcdn.apple.com/content/dow...v54gupbx54bt2r3prg/Safari17.3MontereyAuto.pkg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Only on the latest macOS, Sonoma now, Safari is included in the OS update. On Monterey and Ventura, Safari is separate.

The log posted by @tonmischa #10 shows “postinstall: Failed to run script graftCryptex.sh”, so not one of the ones Suspicious Package flags as using depreciated runtime.

This is the pkg for Monterey, it should work on Ventura too
https://swcdn.apple.com/content/dow...v54gupbx54bt2r3prg/Safari17.3MontereyAuto.pkg
Thanks but
comparing the two packages the Monterey pkg installs 7876 items
when Ventura only 60 for half the size. I wait for Apple to fix it then

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 12.34.06 PM.jpg

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I’ve installed it in a virtual machine with Ventura 13.6.4.
I now have two Safari apps, because the Ventura version was already installed.
Ventura
17.3 (18617.2.4.11.9, 18617)
Monterey
17.3 (17617.2.4.11.9, 17617)
safari.jpg

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Why can’t you use Sonoma? Is there a problem with it?

sonoma 14.3 is extremely smooth And Apple prioritizes security updates for Sonoma rn.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I now have two Safari apps....Monterey 17.3 (17617.2.4.11.9, 17617)
I've deleted the Monterey version from Terminal in Recovery: rm -rf "/Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data/Applications/Safari.app"

Comparing the two installers, the Monterey Safari pkg doesn’t have the script graftCryptex.sh.
The installation error in Ventura might be related to the files stored on the Preboot volume.
Running First Aid from Recovery might help.
“Repair volumes, then containers, then disks” https://support.apple.com/HT210898

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I cannot install Safari 17.3 too. Is Apple aware of this issue? Did they do any testing before making it available for us to download and install?

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Anyone else who is having this problem: Could you please name your processor? Maybe this is M2-specific? All error reports I've seen so far specifically mention M2...
@glennck @MircoT @howdytom @katbel @polee

I just called AppleSupport. They told me submitting this problem via Feedback - Safari - Apple is the best thing to do...

@bogdanw
Yup, I repaired yesterday via Recovery after Onyx found a minor problem.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.