Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrebergen

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Netherlands
Make screenshot of Safari settings > Push notifications, quit Safari, remove (relocate) "RemoteNotifications" folder from your Library (~/Library/Safari/RemoteNotifications, start Safari, go to Safari settings > Push notifications (there can be a whole list), delete this list, revisit websites you want notifications. This worked for me. (EDIT, still doesn't work)

Last edited:

jrebergen

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Netherlands
Unfortunately it didn't work. I was very hopeful after seeing MacRumors in my System Preferences Notification center, but I still haven't seen any notification pop up in my screen. Seems like this still doen't work... :(

9to5 works like a charm, hopefully macrumors finds a solution...

Reactions: whsbuss

otherwillsmith

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017
We've seen this happen from time to time with some of our customers and their site visitors. (I work for Roost - We do push notifications for websites.)

For whatever reason it seems that sometimes Safari will corrupt data an push will go wacky. This can cause prompts not appearing again, even after subscriptions have been deleted - or messages not being properly delivered.

You can resolve this by completely clearing your browser's history / settings.

It's a two-step process.

1) With Safari open - in the top left menu, click on Safari -> Reset Safari

2) Now with Safari closed, in the finder menu click on Go -> Go to Folder then enter ~/Library/Safari and click Go - In this window, open the RemoteNotifications directory - select all - Move to trash - And empty trash.

Now you can open Safari and should have a nice new shiny browser. You will have to revisit and allow notifications for each site.

----------

I lied... Almost. In step #2, also delete the UserNotificationPermissions.plist file.

Now you should be good.

This didn't work for me as my Safari doesn't have a "Reset Safari" option. Is this fix for older version?

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Here is the reason MacRumors push notifications are broken while other sites work fine:
The MR push server (https://push.xeeno.com) has SHA-1 SSL certificate.
SHA-1 has been deprecated for quite some time, and all major browsers, including Safari, now treat these certificates as insecure.
Therefore attempt to subscribe silently fails and there's no permission dialog prompting to enable push notifications.

Hence all the attempts described above, like messing with ~/Library/Safari/RemoteNotifications, are not going to help.

To fix the problem, the certificate needs to be replaced.

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
Here is the reason MacRumors push notifications are broken while other sites work fine:
The MR push server (https://push.xeeno.com) has SHA-1 SSL certificate.
SHA-1 has been deprecated for quite some time, and all major browsers, including Safari, now treat these certificates as insecure.
Therefore attempt to subscribe silently fails and there's no permission dialog prompting to enable push notifications.

Hence all the attempts described above, like messing with ~/Library/Safari/RemoteNotifications, are not going to help.

To fix the problem, the certificate needs to be replaced.

Really sad to see the #1 Apple news website to not have such a simple, properly working, aspect when all other Apple news sites have no issues whatsoever.

StevenVig

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2016
I managed to fix mine, heres what you need to do

1. Click on this link - https://push.xeeno.com
2. Click on Show Certificate (press the padlock in the address bar)
3. Tick always trust certificate and enter your computer password to make changes to your Certificate Trust Settings
4. Restart Safari
5. Visit MacRumors and click on Resubscribe and you should be prompted to add to Notification Centre

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011

2. Click on Show Certificate
3. Tick always trust certificate and enter your computer password to make changes to your Certificate Trust Settings
4. Restart Safari
5. Visit MacRumors and click on Resubscribe and you should be prompted to add to Notification Centre

Hope this helps!
Thanks friend, this did the trick!

Others who've had this issue follow what this guy says!

Reactions: StevenVig

Suspended
Jun 2, 2017

2. Click on Show Certificate
4. Restart Safari

Hope this helps!

This worked perfectly for anyone who wants to find a resolution.

Reactions: StevenVig

mophor

Suspended
May 12, 2009
Now come on. Although I'm very thankful for the certificate solution described here (it worked for me as well), but it just can't be that you have to accept an untrusted certificate to get a functionality so many sites have working without any issues. This problem has been reported for several years now! (This thread was started in March 2014!) I'm starting to become quite disappointed from macrumors.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi
does anyone know if High Sierra fixes this?
i also don't want to Trust a cert that I have no info about...

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
This worked perfectly for anyone who wants to find a resolution.
I just tried the steps above on Safari 11 under Sierra, and was taken to a warning about the connection not being private. when I clicked view certificate, I didn't get an option to always trust certificate. Just an OK button. Have I missed something here?

StevenVig

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2016
I just tried the steps above on Safari 11 under Sierra, and was taken to a warning about the connection not being private. when I clicked view certificate, I didn't get an option to always trust certificate. Just an OK button. Have I missed something here?

You may need to collapse the trust list and select Always Trust from here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 15.50.34.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 15.50.34.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 272

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
You may need to collapse the trust list and select Always Trust from here
I got it to work but in a different way. In the warning I clicked the link visit website the above website. When I did I got the security box with the password. I entered clicked OK and restarted safari, then got the push box when coming back to this site. Now I am getting notifications. I noticed that the push cert was added to my keychain under certificates. Hopefully nothing else happened in my doing it this way like putting the Mac at risk.

Etela

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
Vancouver, BC
We've seen this happen from time to time with some of our customers and their site visitors. (I work for Roost - We do push notifications for websites.)

For whatever reason it seems that sometimes Safari will corrupt data an push will go wacky. This can cause prompts not appearing again, even after subscriptions have been deleted - or messages not being properly delivered.

You can resolve this by completely clearing your browser's history / settings.

It's a two-step process.

1) With Safari open - in the top left menu, click on Safari -> Reset Safari

2) Now with Safari closed, in the finder menu click on Go -> Go to Folder then enter ~/Library/Safari and click Go - In this window, open the RemoteNotifications directory - select all - Move to trash - And empty trash.

Now you can open Safari and should have a nice new shiny browser. You will have to revisit and allow notifications for each site.

----------

I lied... Almost. In step #2, also delete the UserNotificationPermissions.plist file.

Now you should be good.
[doublepost=1506497072][/doublepost]I do not have a Reset Safari option, and I have a brand new MacBook Pro.
I find it that ever since the Russians left the Apple group, everything went down.

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
How is it that the issue of an expired certificate still hasn't been resolved?! I guess I'll just get my notifications from 9to5Mac....
I clean installed High Sierra because of reasons, and unsurprisingly MacRumors notifications still don't work.

I can't be bothered to do the security certificate exception thing and will just rely on when I visit the website. 9to5Mac and idownloadblog send more worthwhile "tips and tricks" notifications (that I might miss if I didn't get notified) whereas MacRumors sends only their articles, which I will read the next time I visit the site anyway.

Oh well.

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
Well. Idk what magic they did, but today I went to MacRumors homepage then clicked the forums tab and got the allow notifications prompt. :)

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hi all, I don't know if there is a more current thread then this, but Push has stopped working for me from MacRumors in the last week or so. It was working fine, then nothing for several days, went into safari Preferences and deleted MacRumors from notifications, came to the site, and was never asked to allow notifications as it should have. Seems to be site specific again, as I tested 9to5Mac and was asked and clicking allow popped up a notification saying I was subscribed.

If this is a known issue again, please let me know where the correct thread is.

Thanks.
OS MacOS Mojave 10.14.0.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Exactly the same here, for few days it's not working, cannot re-subscribe...
I've been in touch with WildCowboy, and he said they have it fixed, but it's still not asking me to allow. The MacRumors entry is completely removed from Safari's notification preferences, and I've clicked reload I've gone to the forums tab, even clicked on an article. Nothing brings up the dialog so far.
[doublepost=1540571728][/doublepost]I remember the last time this happened, they had an expired certificate. Which was in charge of the push service. I wonder if it expired again. Safari isn't showing MacRumors in green so it's probably not an HTTPS site yet. Not sure if that makes a difference in this case, or not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.