Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Ive heard and read numerous people complain about apps such as newstand, game center, stocks and shares etc....

Ah ok, while some people may not like or use them at least they're Apple apps. It's like someone complaining because Android phones include Google Now by default.

As far as carrier bloat the iPhone has none. My G3 had so much bloat it was beyond ridiculous. As you mentioned its easy to disable them, and in my case I rooted and uninstalled all that crap. But for the average user, disabling them doesnt free up space on their device, so it's far worse than Apple including Apple apps.

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
Samsung has been in the phone industry for decades. In fact, if it weren't for Samsung (along with Motorola, and several other companies) contributions to the cell phone industry and infrastructure, Apple would likely be out of business or have had to spend a lot more money and time developing the original iPhone.

But go ahead and ignore history if it makes you feel better.

They've made a lot of money from it. Also they've made phones for longer than Apple!

Just making a joke :p

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Ah ok, while some people may not like or use them at least they're Apple apps. It's like someone complaining because Android phones include Google Now by default.

As far as carrier bloat the iPhone has none. My G3 had so much bloat it was beyond ridiculous. As you mentioned its easy to disable them, and in my case I rooted and uninstalled all that crap. But for the average user, disabling them doesnt free up space on their device, so it's far worse than Apple including Apple apps.

Thats the carriers fault though, not the fault of Samsung. In the UK, as long as you purchase from a shop such as CarPhoneWarehouse, Phones4U, bascially anywhere apart from the carrier, you dont get any bloat.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Thats the carriers fault though, not the fault of Samsung. In the UK, as long as you purchase from a shop such as CarPhoneWarehouse, Phones4U, bascially anywhere apart from the carrier, you dont get any bloat.

True. Still the iPhone has no bloat even from the carrier. It is a good thing regardless of who's responsible for the bloat.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Yet it can be disabled very easily.

Unfortunately the same cant be said for Apple and the apps they install.

I am talking about bloatware. Trialware. 30-days, then pay me ware. Too much of this on Samsung, and it's really cluttering up the device and user experience.

No, can't be disabled. Can't be uninstalled. And you even need to keep consenting to "updates" even if you don't want that app. Unless you root the Samsung.

Apple products don't have this stuff that needs to be constantly fed with new updates every couple weeks.

----------

...as far as carrier bloat the iPhone has none. My G3 had so much bloat it was beyond ridiculous. As you mentioned its easy to disable them, and in my case I rooted and uninstalled all that crap. But for the average user, disabling them doesnt free up space on their device, so it's far worse than Apple including Apple apps.

This is precisely what I am talking about. Carrier bloat is terrible and I do blame Samsung for allowing it. Just like I blame Microsoft for allowing bloat in Windows Vista. It was the carrier/box-maker bloat that made Vista an awful experience for end-users.

I de-installed the bloat or reinstalled Vista from a bare disk for some friends. By far, the best experience was had by the friends with vanilla Vista, but even the friends who had a "cleaned Vista" did better than they ever had with their HP or Toshiba straight from the maker.

Samsung is going the way of HP and Toshiba; only now it's tablets and smartphones. Samsung arguably makes the best devices available, but then the ruin them with garbage. Stop the madness, I say!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
noo,, all wrong..

Maybe they should of asked the public to test some features too ?

Anyone can compare which one is lighter, give me a break.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I am talking about bloatware. Trialware. 30-days, then pay me ware. Too much of this on Samsung, and it's really cluttering up the device and user experience.

No, can't be disabled. Can't be uninstalled. And you even need to keep consenting to "updates" even if you don't want that app. Unless you root the Samsung.

Apple products don't have this stuff that needs to be constantly fed with new updates every couple weeks.

Things must be different in the US, but in the UK ive has the S2, S3 and Note 1 and had no trailware, pay me ware or anything similar.

----------

Pop them into a folder. Semi gone, problem solved

This is what makes me chuckle. On Android you can disable/hide apps but its not good enough, but on ios its ok!

Talk about double standards!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

They are still pointless apps IMO. However I understand that some people will use them. So I have no problem with any so called bloat apps. I like choice. Samsung have listened to a lot of people's complaints and a lot of things are now not installed out of the box. They can be downloaded if the users wants it.

----------

And they cropped off the parts where people prefers iPad Air.

Cheers Samsung.

Obviously they are actors being paid to say that they prefer the tab S. In real life it wouldn't be that unanimous, unless they picked a bunch of Samsung fans to do the add. Either way it was staged.

I've liked all their previous adverts because I found them funny. But this one is pointless to me.

----------

Oh, the irony!

Tried to look at said tablet on my rMini iPad and it kept crashing Safari, LOL :D

I can view the Samsung website on my Samsung galaxy S5 but not on my iPad Air or iPod touch 5th gen. It just crashes.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
This is what makes me chuckle. On Android you can disable/hide apps but its not good enough, but on ios its ok!

Talk about double standards!

You guys really have to stop getting upset when two people say two different things. It's an epidemic with you android users.

The person you quoted did not say disabling android apps is not ok, in fact no one in this thread did! Stop making up lies.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

No it is Samsung's fault. They could tell them no, just like Apple did.....

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
You guys really have to stop getting upset when two people say two different things. It's an epidemic with you android users.

The person you quoted did not say disabling android apps is not ok, in fact no one in this thread did! Stop making up lies.

No-ones getting upset, no need to try and bring emotion into your post! I said it makes me chuckle , which it does.

This forum is full of contradictions.

I dont need a stupid removable battery, I just carry round a rechargeable battery pack.

I hate cheap plastic phones, but I cover my iphone in a plastic case to protect it.

The list goes on and on.....

I personally think the Samsung ads are good and amusing - even more so when you read how angry some Apple fans get on this forum!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just noticed this on their website. I don't know any details but it sounds like something I wish Apple would do.

Family-Friendly
With Multi User Mode, everyone in the family can create a private and personalized tablet experience that can be secured with the fingerprint scanner. And for those wanting to keep the little ones entertained, Kids Mode lets you customize playtime and apps with parental controls.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
No-ones getting upset, no need to try and bring emotion into your post! I said it makes me chuckle , which it does.

This forum is full of contradictions.

I dont need a stupid removable battery, I just carry round a rechargeable battery pack.

I hate cheap plastic phones, but I cover my iphone in a plastic case to protect it.

The list goes on and on.....

I personally think the Samsung ads are good and amusing - even more so when you read how angry some Apple fans get on this forum!

I think it's more amusing that Samsung fans come here to make fun of Apple fans. Actually no, not amusing. Sad.

Couple that with making up lies to prove some point that you can't prove without lying makes it even sadder.

No one said the things that made you "chuckle" in this thread. :rolleyes:

----------

They are still pointless apps IMO. However I understand that some people will use them. So I have no problem with any so called bloat apps. I like choice. Samsung have listened to a lot of people's complaints and a lot of things are now not installed out of the box. They can be downloaded if the users wants it.

I see you're in the UK and from what I've read here there's not as much bloat (if any) in the international versions of the S5. The whole bloatware thing is most probably just a US carrier imposed annoyance.

I agree that some people might find these apps pointless. But...I wouldn't qualify them as bloatware. Bloatware is the free trial to hotels.com, the free demo of Battle of Clans, and the NFL.com app that was preinstalled on my LG G3 when I got it (along with a crapload of Verizon specific apps like VZ Navigator, seriously who in the world would sign up for VZ Navigator??).

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I think it's more amusing that Samsung fans come here to make fun of Apple fans. Actually no, not amusing. Sad.

Couple that with making up lies to prove some point that you can't prove without lying makes it even sadder.

No one said the things that made you "chuckle" in this thread. :rolleyes:

So by your logic, only people that own all Apple products can use this forum?

What about people that use Macs but have a non Apple phone, are they allowed to post and comment?

Lies? You must be very blinkered when you browse through the posts on this site. Each to their own.

You can always tell when someone has lost a discussion, they result to insults.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
So by your logic, only people that own all Apple products can use this forum?

What about people that use Macs but have a non Apple phone, are they allowed to post and comment?

I have zero idea where you came up with this. I was (or I thought) pretty clear. I said it's sad when Samsung users come here to make fun of Apple users. That's what you're doing. Said nothing about owning Macs, or anything else.

Lies? You must be very blinkered when you browse through the posts on this site. Each to their own.

Again I was pretty clear. I clearly said the person you quoted did not say "disabling android apps is not good enough". You tried to paint him as some sort of contradictory "Apple is always right" poster and he didn't even mention android. It's beyond crazy that you lied, got called out on it, and are still trying to justify it.

You can always tell when someone has lost a discussion, they result to insults.

Completely meaningless sentence. If you felt insulted by the truth, that says a lot.

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Everyone here is not solely a fan. I switched to the iPhone from android because I like many productivity apps located on iOS and most of all, i was tired of google releasing new os's, and I could maybe update once, during the two year life cycle of my phone, unless i bought google's phone or rooted.

However, i miss several things about android, like widgets and some google apps that would let me customize my phone in ways that benefited my user experience. i would have calendar and task widgets that would take up whole screens, so that i could readily see things I had to do without opening the app. I also liked my phone reminding me i have a meeting in 20 mins, and I better get moving in that direction, or the traffic is slow on my route home so i can take an alternate route - which is working better on IOS now.

I reserve the right to be critical of anything I invest my time in and change products if I feel the need. How could people zealously defend a product they have no real stake in? Change the content and this could be a right left political debate or sports debate.

Anyway go back to fighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.