Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vampyr

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
marketing trick

so let's break down this commercial...

1. in some of the clips, there is no iPad Air... only the Galaxy, so where is the comparison?
2. All the people they meet are a specifically targeted audience of young, hip 20 somethings.
3. The host seems to speak for some of the people, stating his opinion rather than letting the people "on the street" state it.
4. We have no idea what the specs are between the two. In fact, in some of the clips, I couldn't tell which was which.
5. They compare it by watching a video?? That's the best comparison there is?

This commercial doesn't attempt to compare the tablets... instead, it wants to make you think that if you want to be a young, good looking 20 something, then you should choose the Galaxy over the iPad.

What does the Galaxy home screen look like? What features does it have that the iPad air doesn't?
Marketing companies that make commercials like this have no interest in selling the product, but are only trying to sell an image.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Everyone here is not solely a fan. I switched to the iPhone from android because I like many productivity apps located on iOS and most of all, i was tired of google releasing new os's, and I could maybe update once, during the two year life cycle of my phone, unless i bought google's phone or rooted.

However, i miss several things about android, like widgets and some google apps that would let me customize my phone in ways that benefited my user experience. i would have calendar and task widgets that would take up whole screens, so that i could readily see things I had to do without opening the app. I also liked my phone reminding me i have a meeting in 20 mins, and I better get moving in that direction, or the traffic is slow on my route home so i can take an alternate route - which is working better on IOS now.

I reserve the right to be critical of anything I invest my time in and change products if I feel the need. How could people zealously defend a product they have no real stake in? Change the content and this could be a right left political debate or sports debate.

Anyway go back to fighting.

Everyone here does not HAVE to be a fan. I can't understand where the disconnect is. I'm not saying you have to love Apple to post here. What I'm saying is if you're coming here to insult Apple users instead of discussing things you want to see improved, you're a sad person.

You have every right to be critical of Apple. I'm critical of Apple. That's why I don't have an iPhone. I can't understand how people use that small screen. Or how people enjoy looking at a grid of apps on their homescreen. But I don't come here and point and laugh at people who enjoy the iPhone.

I like productive posts. Not ones where people are making up lies to act as if Apple users are idiots.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Everyone here does not HAVE to be a fan. I can't understand where the disconnect is. I'm not saying you have to love Apple to post here. What I'm saying is if you're coming here to insult Apple users instead of discussing things you want to see improved, you're a sad person.

You have every right to be critical of Apple. I'm critical of Apple. That's why I don't have an iPhone. I can't understand how people use that small screen. Or how people enjoy looking at a grid of apps on their homescreen. But I don't come here and point and laugh at people who enjoy the iPhone.

I like productive posts. Not ones where people are making up lies to act as if Apple users are idiots.

No lies have been told. If I could be bothered and had the time id go back through the forum and quote the relevant posts.

Likewise, you get the intolerant users of this site which are happy to mock anything that dosent have an :apple: logo on it.

----------

I have zero idea where you came up with this. I was (or I thought) pretty clear. I said it's sad when Samsung users come here to make fun of Apple users. That's what you're doing. Said nothing about owning Macs, or anything else.

For a start im not a Samsung user, so maybe you shouldnt presume.

Likewise, I havent mad fun of any Apple users. Point me in the direction of said post if you believe I have.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Let the Samsung bashing begin!

Proud Note 3 owner.

Oh; when you guys line up for iPhone 6 don't forget about those Samsung made parts you will be buying keeping Samsung in business.

For me it has nothing to do with keeping Samsung in business or bashing Samsung. It all comes down to one thing: everyday usability without issues. The worst in my experience was a BB since it would always crash and take over 7 minutes to restart. Android for me had too much nonsense that I didn't need on a daily basis and would require more maintenance on my side (this is from years ago btw). iPhone just worked without issue. It's very limited but the limitations cover everything I need to do; hence, no JB or anything else required. If other companies can begin to offer easy use without frills to customers, I'd gladly consider them.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
No lies have been told. If I could be bothered and had the time id go back through the forum and quote the relevant posts.

you claimed tdale was being hypocritical about hiding apps being ok on iOS, claiming double standards. That's the lie you told. You quoted him specifically.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
you claimed tdale was being hypocritical about hiding apps being ok on iOS, claiming double standards. That's the lie you told. You quoted him specifically.

Yep this was already pointed out to him twice. Like I said its crazy that he gets called out for the lie and then is still trying to justify it.

Anyway, I'm done derailing this thread. Dave you can pm me if you want to keep playing the justification game.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Im not playing any kind of justification game.

I was highlighting the point that when people talk about preinstalled apps from Apple which they dont want and cant disable/uninstall, they are told to pop them in a folder and ignore them.

In the same breath, people complain about so called bloatware in touchwiz, which can actually be disabled and automatically vanishes from the app draw.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014

I was highlighting the point that when people talk about preinstalled apps from Apple which they dont want and cant disable/uninstall, they are told to pop them in a folder and ignore them.

In the same breath, people complain about so called bloatware in touchwiz, which can actually be disabled and automatically vanishes from the app draw.

Ok I guess you want to continue airing it out here. These people you are talking about are DIFFERENT people. Do you not understand that?

It's like me quoting one of the posters who disagrees with you and then calling you a hypocrite. I can't fathom how you don't get this.

Tdale said nothing about android and you said "talk about double standards!"

Wheres the double standard? That two different posters have two different opinions?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

You're talking about different viewpoints from different people and then saying they're all the same person. You quoted tdale, stating double standards, when he has not said anything to justify you claiming he had double standards.

Now you're caught in a lie and flailing....

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
You're talking about different viewpoints from different people and then saying they're all the same person. You quoted tdale, stating double standards, when he has not said anything to justify you claiming he had double standards.

Now you're caught in a lie and flailing....

It was a generalisation, quoting tdale to highlight the point he made.

You two are like a couple of dogs with a bit of meat - just cant let it go. :rolleyes:

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014

You two are like a couple of dogs with a bit of meat - just cant let it go. :rolleyes:

you've done a great job in generalizing android users yourself. What a waste of time. Sometimes you gotta just admit you're wrong and move on...would have made you look less silly.

Instead you opted to put the silliness on display for the forum. Now that is chuckle worthy!

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Samsung Asks NYC Street-Goers to Compare Galaxy Tab S and iPad Air in New Ad

You quoted him and replied direct to his comment. If you go back and re-read it, you'll see.

If you were generalising, then you were not clear and just look like you're backtracking like you've been caught out. Generalising is silly, as all people on here are different. Now if you can provide examples of people that have had double standards over hiding/removing Apple apps and responded to one of them, then you might have had a valid point. As it stands, you've been called out and you've flailed.

Last edited:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
you've done a great job in generalizing android users yourself. What a waste of time. Sometimes you gotta just about you're wrong and move on...would have made you look less silly.

Instead you opted to put the silliness on display for the forum. Now that is chuckle worthy!

If you say so ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I am talking about bloatware. Trialware. 30-days, then pay me ware. Too much of this on Samsung, and it's really cluttering up the device and user experience.

No, can't be disabled. Can't be uninstalled. And you even need to keep consenting to "updates" even if you don't want that app. Unless you root the Samsung.

This is precisely what I am talking about. Carrier bloat is terrible and I do blame Samsung for allowing it. Just like I blame Microsoft for allowing bloat in Windows Vista. It was the carrier/box-maker bloat that made Vista an awful experience for end-users.

I de-installed the bloat or reinstalled Vista from a bare disk for some friends. By far, the best experience was had by the friends with vanilla Vista, but even the friends who had a "cleaned Vista" did better than they ever had with their HP or Toshiba straight from the maker.

Samsung is going the way of HP and Toshiba; only now it's tablets and smartphones. Samsung arguably makes the best devices available, but then the ruin them with garbage. Stop the madness, I say!

u haven't been a Samsung user very long have you....

Yes, bloatware is terrible, and Android is about as bad as you can probably get on a mobile device.

That said, Google Experience is designed for this,,, It's not possible to rid yourself 100% of this stuff, even on PC's you get from Dell, HP etc, all come with at least some crap, *but* its at least with Google experience phones, you cut down on the majority of it.

And, it does a good job.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
You quoted him and replied direct to his comment. If you go back and re-read it, you'll see.

If you were generalising, then you were not clear and just look like you're backtracking like you've been caught out. Generalising is silly, as all people on here are different. Now if you can provide examples of people that have had double standards over hiding/removing Apple apps and responded to one of them, then you might have had a valid point. As it stands, you've been called out and you've flailed.

Not at all, but if thats what you think then so be it. :D

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For me it has nothing to do with keeping Samsung in business or bashing Samsung. It all comes down to one thing: everyday usability without issues. The worst in my experience was a BB since it would always crash and take over 7 minutes to restart. Android for me had too much nonsense that I didn't need on a daily basis and would require more maintenance on my side (this is from years ago btw). iPhone just worked without issue. It's very limited but the limitations cover everything I need to do; hence, no JB or anything else required. If other companies can begin to offer easy use without frills to customers, I'd gladly consider them.

Android devices just work too. I haven't rooted my phone or installed any custom launchers etc. everything is stock and it just works. It doesn't crash, or freeze or lag.

Last edited:

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Things must be different in the US, but in the UK ive has the S2, S3 and Note 1 and had no trailware, pay me ware or anything similar.

----------

This is what makes me chuckle. On Android you can disable/hide apps but its not good enough, but on ios its ok!

Talk about double standards!

??? Double Standards?? Where did I imply that? I said its semi gone, which implies not a 100% solution. And yes, iOS you can delete, uninstall apps, then they are gone. It just happens that the stock apps you cannot, hardly a big issue. And hardly surprising either. We also cannot delete/remove trialware, bloatware in iOS, because there is none.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Samsung should rename all of it's products to "the Samsung".
It's much easier to remember than all variants of "Galaxy something".

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Oh Samsung, again with the lies.

barry-young-nexus-one-shootout-fig-1-bw-lines.jpg

if you consider the number of true RGB pixels, not some dodgy half pixels, iPad actually has 3,14 million, and Galaxy Tab S has 2,7 million.

Of course pentile can display pixels with fair accuracy, but colour tinting and jaggy blurred edges in high contrast scenes will make the display look less flattering.

I'm not really a fan of pentile.

htc-one-x-vs-galaxy-nexus-screen-macro-shot-1804.jpg

htc-one-x-vs-galaxy-nexus-screen-instagram-icon-1804.jpg

link with further info:
http://www.stuff-review.com/2012-04/display-shootout-htc-one-x-vs-galaxy-nexus-vs-ipad-3/

Besides, iOS8 supposedly returns subpixel rendering.

I can't understand why Pentile has the same PPI count as RGB, its just not correct

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK

if you consider the number of true RGB pixels, not some dodgy half pixels, iPad actually has 3,14 million, and Galaxy Tab S has 2,7 million.

Of course pentile can display pixels with fair accuracy, but colour tinting and jaggy blurred edges in high contrast scenes will make the display look less flattering.

link with further info:
http://www.stuff-review.com/2012-04/display-shootout-htc-one-x-vs-galaxy-nexus-vs-ipad-3/

I can't understand why Pentile has the same PPI count as RGB, its just not correct

Would help if you quoted the correct information relating to the tablet this thread is about.

Tab-S_subpixels_0.jpg

A quick refresher of the benefits of Super AMOLED:

Because there is no backlight, blacks are true black and take no energy to display. The contrast ratio is about 1,000,000:1

The response time is about 1,000 faster than a traditional LCD

They have a very high color gamut, which means there is little distortion when looked at from an angle.

They exhibit a very high perceived luminance. This is both a benefit as well as a detractor. The screen looks brighter to our eyes than it really is. This is why you'll find applications that dim the screen into a night-time mode available on Google Play, and plenty of Galaxy S phone users rating them highly. Anything shown on the display against a solid truly black background can be startlingly bright in the dark.

They are also very thin and light, and a big part of how Samsung can get away with making a tablet as thin and light as the Tab S.

The 8.4-inch Tab S has a diamond PenTile subpixel structure on a Super AMOLED display at 360 ppi. The 10.5-inch Tab S has the same RGB stripe subpixel arrangement we saw in the Note 2 (with double the blue) on a Super AMOLED display at 287 ppi. Many will hear the word PenTile and start typing to say how bad it is. They would be wrong. At the high resolution and high ppi values that these tablets display, they both look incredible. If you're a fan of AMOLED panels, you'll love these.

But also let me tell you that these panels are some the best screens I've ever seen.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-review-0

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010

link with further info:

You are mixing up 8.5 with 10.5 . 8.5 had pentile other doesnt .

So the comparison would be ipad mini with samsung tab s 8.5 for PPI .

In this case you wont notice the difference in any normal use .

Perhaps before accusing of lying checking the facts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.