Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I have a feeling this iteration of the fold is never going to be released to the public. Really not much they can do but go back to the drawing board.

I think the rash of issues actually saved them. Had this gone out to however many people who paid $2000, and they had a terrible failure rate it would have been worse.

I think Samsung should have marketed this as a beta product. It would have made the expectations more in line with the tradeoffs.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
People like to feel exclusive. If you branded it early access there would still be a market.

They aren't making huge quantities of them.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Why is that far fetched? I can only imagine how incredible it will be to have that large of a screen fit into my pocket.

I agree.

I was saying that the reviewer felt that, even with some bleeding edge problems, the future was folding phones.

I'm upset that it looks like I won't be able to get one on Verizon.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I agree.

I was saying that the reviewer felt that, even with some bleeding edge problems, the future was folding phones.

I'm upset that it looks like I won't be able to get one on Verizon.

Are these not CDMA compatible? Bleh, I'm on Verizon as well.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
OMG! Finally! The great Joanna Stern has spoken. I was waiting for her end-all-be-all word on the matter. I was losing sleep, but now, I can sleep well again. She has so much experience with developing bleeding edge tech, and therefore, it is she, to decide, how bleeding edge tech should be introduced to the masses. Thank you Joanna, thank you. In other words, her opinion, and the opinion of every other "tech reviewer" is toilet paper to me. Ever since getting out of the walled garden, I no longer jump on the "hate everything, and put down everything not Apple" band wagon. I can truly say, as a former Apple follower, tech media are Apple brown nosers. If the industry waits on companies who define courage as, removing a headphone jack, to move the industry forward, we may as all just forget about the next form factor for another decade. So glad to be in the Android sphere now, and to have so much choice. Full steam ahead with the Fold!
This post has aged poorly. Of course, when you go after one of the most respected people in the industry who took over for the most famous tech journalist in history, you get egg all over your face.

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
This post has aged poorly. Of course, when you go after one of the most respected people in the industry who took over for the most famous tech journalist in history, you get egg all over your face.
I've been following tech news for a while.
I know who Walt is, but I've never heard of Stern before this thread, or if I had, she didn't get my attention.
I know that says more about me than her as she's hardly someone on my radar, then again the WSJ usually lays behind a paywall, so their reach is instantly a lot smaller than the likes of say...MKBHD or Supersaf of the like.
And from what I've seen, they are not even closely as thorough, have less views and a lot less subscribers, unless they have more paid subscribers, which I doubt.

Most respected?
Not really, not at all.

By the way, your priapism is showing.....

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I've been following tech news for a while.
I know who Walt is, but I've never heard of Stern before this thread, or if I had, she didn't get my attention.
I know that says more about me than her as she's hardly someone on my radar, then again the WSJ usually lays behind a paywall, so their reach is instantly a lot smaller than the likes of say...MKBHD or Supersaf of the like.
And from what I've seen, they are not even closely as thorough, have less views and a lot less subscribers, unless they have more paid subscribers, which I doubt.

Most respected?
Not really, not at all.

By the way, your priapism is showing.....

Meanwhile, literally every observation she is making is getting repeated by multiple other sources. Dieter Bohn, Mr. Mobile, ifixit reprts major quality issues. MKBHD reported more issues.

The product is barely avoiding disaster and you’re trashing one of the most respected journalists in tech. It’s a bad product. You deserve better than to have to use ad hominem to defend it.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Meanwhile, literally every observation she is making is getting repeated by multiple other sources. Dieter Bohn, Mr. Mobile, ifixit reprts major quality issues. MKBHD reported more issues.

The product is barely avoiding disaster and you’re trashing one of the most respected journalists in tech. It’s a bad product. You deserve better than to have to use ad hominem to defend it.

I was commenting on your post about how the other comment by another user was aging, and the joy you seem to have in pointing it out, now that we are throwing the term "ad hominem" around.

As for her observations, well she didn't really make any that weren't obvious before she posted hers.
And as for respect and journalism, spare me, I don't respect her, why should I? I can't see behind the paywall, and if her video content is anything to go by, I'll stick to the dozens of other reviewers who give me details rather than opinions.
I'm not defending the fold as such, I'm having a dig at you and your obvious glee.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Nice analysis by mr mobile

[doublepost=1556179546][/doublepost]Another positive video on the fold and the future of foldable phones

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Nice analysis by mr mobile

[doublepost=1556179546][/doublepost]Another positive video on the fold and the future of foldable phones

It’s a shame his Fold was most likely also going to be damaged.

Can’t disagree with his praise, but the fact it was doomed undoes any positives.

I think a race has emerged in Foldables - whoever can get an IP65 rating (focussing on dust protection) first will take big strides in succeeding.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018

Tech journalist or not it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that this device is poorly designed and will literally fall apart when in use for quite short time.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019

You remind me of myself when I was a blind follower of one company, and blind hatred for another company. We all wake up on our own time. Get back to me when you wake up.

Reactions: iSilas and kdarling

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You remind me of myself when I was a blind follower of one company, and blind hatred for another company. We all wake up on our own time. Get back to me when you wake up.
@GrumpyMom, @jamezr and others can vouch for me. You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm a MacBook owner fairly loyally. I have an iPhone now, but I have owned all three Pixels, the Nexus 5, 6P in the past.

I'm not blindly loyal to anyone. I just know garbage when I see it

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
A more sobering video from Dave Lee

The only thing that I don't agree with is the statement that Samsung was forced into rushing the Fold. That's just him feeling bad for them, as he mentioned, and trying to justify the release of a product that wasn't properly tested.

I still think it's a good concept and hopefully Samsung will learn from this mistake. I would like to see a properly functioning Fold-type phone in the future. Maybe a little more refined and thinner.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
While @AustinIllini posts lean heavily towards hyperbole, I don't think she's (sorry if I'm wrong, assuming based on 'macrumors demi-goddess' label) actually too far off.

I absolutely appreciate that Samsung is pushing boundaries into this entirely new type of device but this is a product that should not be released...yet. I've probably read or listened to at least a dozen first hand accounts from 'reviewers' who were fortunate enough to received 'sample units' (as Samsung calls them). While they nearly all express excitement and fascination with the Fold and the future of 'foldables', simultaneously they also profess that the Fold is a deeply flawed device that nobody should be purchasing now (and that's before Samsung delayed the release). It looks and feels rushed and screams of Samsung pushing too hard and fast to be able to say they released the first of its type for consumers.

If Samsung absolutely felt the need to show the public what they're working on, they could have teased us as they did initially late last year and again at MWC but gone the route of Huawei and said coming later this year or just simply 'Coming Soon'. But Samsung seems to perpetually suffer from an inferiority complex in regards to their competition and has to be able to claim 'First!' Now, they're eating crow....again.

I personally think this won't have any significant lasting effects on either Samsung or the progress of foldable devices and genuinely hope the Fold resurfaces in the future, but only after it's undergone some major improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: spinedoc77

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
B201B12C-6289-4050-81F9-3CA7316DC1B4.png

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I still agree foldable phones are likely part of the future. The problem I see is still the price. I know, I know, iPhone can be very expensive, but people buy a boatload of the "base" models with the minimum storage. I do think an Apple foldable iPhone would be on the order of $2500, which is just too steep.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I still agree foldable phones are likely part of the future. The problem I see is still the price. I know, I know, iPhone can be very expensive, but people buy a boatload of the "base" models with the minimum storage. I do think an Apple foldable iPhone would be on the order of $2500, which is just too steep.
I’m sure the price will come down with future generations and even if it only comes down to £1,500 initially that’s in the range of the top end iPhone XS Max.

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
@GrumpyMom, @jamezr and others can vouch for me. You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm a MacBook owner fairly loyally. I have an iPhone now, but I have owned all three Pixels, the Nexus 5, 6P in the past.

I'm not blindly loyal to anyone. I just know garbage when I see it
While AustinIllini is being gloriously grumpy on the subject of the Fold, I think we can all agree that such grumpy sentiments have merit in this case.

One does not have to be an iSheeple to see that. However, there are multiple ways to look at this product and its flaws and failures. They all hold some merit. Depending on many factors in a person’s background and personality, any given forum member will tend to align themselves with a more positive or a more negative outlook for the impact and prospects of this particular version of the Fold. Or they might choose to embrace complete apathy and leave this topic altogether with a brisk shake of the head and eyes on the next big rumors.

It’s all good. There is certainly enough bandwidth on the internet to accommodate all the varying opinions.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
While AustinIllini is being gloriously grumpy on the subject of the Fold, I think we can all agree that such grumpy sentiments have merit in this case.

One does not have to be an iSheeple to see that. However, there are multiple ways to look at this product and its flaws and failures. They all hold some merit. Depending on many factors in a person’s background and personality, any given forum member will tend to align themselves with a more positive or a more negative outlook for the impact and prospects of this particular version of the Fold. Or they might choose to embrace complete apathy and leave this topic altogether with a brisk shake of the head and eyes on the next big rumors.

It’s all good. There is certainly enough bandwidth on the internet to accommodate all the varying opinions.
Totally agree with you.... @AustinIllini has been pretty critical of the Fold. But he is entitled to his opinion as we all are.

But he is not a blind Apple follower...he is pretty objective we it comes to his tech reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.