Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
At this point in the year I was hoping for some really great price drops for the Note 10+ as we're into heavy Note 20 rumors/leaks, alas there's only been a few deals knocking off less than £200 off. Needs to be cheaper for me to bite knowing the lack of future support.

As much as I've considered all the other brands I think I want to go with Samsung to get into an alternative ecosystem from Apple. I still have a heavy question mark on the PWM effects as I can't use Apples implementation. Do people find this an issue on the Note 10+ (if you've been sensitive to PWM)?
I think if you are to give android a go the note line is the best most complete android device you can buy. It’s the only phone i reckon that can do everything you want in a phone and the only one that would ever truly tempt me to get an android phone. Nothing comes close to iOS for me in terms of user experience but note line is the premium feature packed device.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I think if you are to give android a go the note line is the best most complete android device you can buy. It’s the only phone i reckon that can do everything you want in a phone and the only one that would ever truly tempt me to get an android phone. Nothing comes close to iOS for me in terms of user experience but note line is the premium feature packed device.

Ironically, its also probably one of the worst android phone to switch to if you've been a long term iOS person. Its packed with features but can be overwhelming for a lot of people. But the Note line is great.

Coming from an iPhone I would probably recommend a Pixel just becasue its similar in terms of "just works" out of the box and is not overloaded with options.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ironically, its also probably one of the worst android phone to switch to if you've been a long term iOS person. Its packed with features but can be overwhelming for a lot of people. But the Note line is great.

Coming from an iPhone I would probably recommend a Pixel just becasue its similar in terms of "just works" out of the box and is not overloaded with options.
While true i would say if you are leaving IOS because you see as too boring pixel is not the phone to go to IMO.

if you want a similar user experience and updates then yes pixel is a good option.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

The pixel has a few compelling features like the camera and the more advanced google assistant integration. However I've always found stock Android bland. However I'm an ex Samsung user. I used Samsung phones from 2012-2014 and I've had a flagship Samsung phone every year since then. They've streamlined their features more and more over the years. I'm in the minority but I liked the days when Samsung threw the kitchen sink into their devices.
[automerge]1590689041[/automerge]
On the note of software updates. The more I use my S5, the more I see the that software updates are not as important on Android as they are on IOS. I haven't come across one app I can't run yet despite this phone being stuck on Android 6. I can run most of my apps in dark mode including the Samsung browser. All of the core services and apps continue to be updated. The only issue with this phone is that it doesnt receive security updates and hasn't done so for years. However it is a very old phone. The S7 from 2016 is still getting security updates 4 years on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alundra

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

I had every iPhone from the 4 to 7+, the Note 8 was my first Android and took to it straight away.

Every phone "just works", just some have more options than others. It's not so much overwhelming, more you discover cool features along the way. Best to get the phone that most appeals.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Yeah, I would recommend a Sony Xperia or Google Pixel for ex-iPhone users.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Yeah, I would recommend a Sony Xperia or Google Pixel for ex-iPhone users.

Tend to agree, but for me the 2XL was the best Pixel they made, the 4XL just wasn’t as good IMO & their prices got stupid, quickly

I’ve had every Note bar the 7 as we didn’t get it in the UK (same with the 5 as well), but I go the Note 5 920CD and it was a superb phone.

Ive got the Note 8 for my business mobile and the 10+ 5G for my personal phone and I think the 10/10+ would be a superb step into Android from iphones...More so to match power and build IMO

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
So been on Samsung Note 10+ for a couple of months now after switching from iPhone 11 Pro Max.

My thoughts below. Sorry....they are a bit all over the place.

• iPhone is definitely a more premium feeling phone, but it is also heavier. I'm actually preferring the lighter Note's aluminum build over steel which I thought would be an issue.
  • Opening the phone is more difficult on Note. FaceID works great on iPhone and less cumbersome than fingerprint.
  • I don't miss iMessage as much as I thought I would. SMS/MMS are fine.
  • I do miss AirDrop. I tried ShareIT but sick of the ads. Looking for something better to move files between my Note and my wife's iPhone
  • Camera is great. Takes excellent pictures.
  • Love the stylus if nothing more than for using it as a remote control for the camera. Haven't gotten into the habit of using it for anything else yet.
  • Integration with Windows is very good. One of the main reasons I switched.
  • Dex is pretty cool. Only used it a little but kind of awesome that I have access to a desktop computer in my phone.
  • Wish there was "favorites" in contacts. I liked that on iPhone.
  • Battery life is really good. Not quite as good as iPhone 11 Pro Max, but not far off.
  • Was able to try out game streaming services on my Note such as Project xCloud, Geforce Now, and Stadia. They work fairly well, but still a ways off for replacing local gaming, if ever. No idea why streaming services are so limited on iPhone.
Overall I've been happy with my Note 10+. I switched for specific reasons that I felt Apple didn't give me as a non-Mac user such as Windows integration, but I have no negative thoughts of Apple or iPhone. Having said that, I've making the most out of the Samsung ecosystem. I have the Active Watch 2 which isn't as good as Apple Watch at all, but it is still a good watch for tracking fitness routines. Definitely looking forward to seeing future updates in that space.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
At least say they are comparable "definitely premium" is a bit unrealstic. Its your opinion but for me its vice versa, even iphone 11 looks a bit obsolete comparing to all post s8 Samsung flagship phones.
I will still give you ? cause your post was informative.

Unrealistic? Not at all. That's my perception. Yours is different. It is all good.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
So been on Samsung Note 10+ for a couple of months now after switching from iPhone 11 Pro Max.

My thoughts below. Sorry....they are a bit all over the place.

• iPhone is definitely a more premium feeling phone, but it is also heavier. I'm actually preferring the lighter Note's aluminum build over steel which I thought would be an issue.
  • Opening the phone is more difficult on Note. FaceID works great on iPhone and less cumbersome than fingerprint.
  • I don't miss iMessage as much as I thought I would. SMS/MMS are fine.
  • I do miss AirDrop. I tried ShareIT but sick of the ads. Looking for something better to move files between my Note and my wife's iPhone
  • Camera is great. Takes excellent pictures.
  • Love the stylus if nothing more than for using it as a remote control for the camera. Haven't gotten into the habit of using it for anything else yet.
  • Integration with Windows is very good. One of the main reasons I switched.
  • Dex is pretty cool. Only used it a little but kind of awesome that I have access to a desktop computer in my phone.
  • Wish there was "favorites" in contacts. I liked that on iPhone.
  • Battery life is really good. Not quite as good as iPhone 11 Pro Max, but not far off.
  • Was able to try out game streaming services on my Note such as Project xCloud, Geforce Now, and Stadia. They work fairly well, but still a ways off for replacing local gaming, if ever. No idea why streaming services are so limited on iPhone.
Overall I've been happy with my Note 10+. I switched for specific reasons that I felt Apple didn't give me as a non-Mac user such as Windows integration, but I have no negative thoughts of Apple or iPhone. Having said that, I've making the most out of the Samsung ecosystem. I have the Active Watch 2 which isn't as good as Apple Watch at all, but it is still a good watch for tracking fitness routines. Definitely looking forward to seeing future updates in that space.

Seems like you are still learning to use the Note10+ my friend:

- if you use face unlock on Note10+ its just as fast if not faster granted you lose the 3D security. I use the 2D face unlock and its pretty good. Also use the finger print for individual apps like banking etc.

- Samsung Messages is RC now and is exactly like iMessages with other recent Samsung phones. Share full size videos and images.

- Samsung quickshare is equivalent to Airdrop

- Also I have had favourite contacts on Android since early 2010s. I have them on all Samsung devices including my current S20+.

- Wife has taken my old Note10 and she came from a long history of iPhones. Her initial conclusion included being blown away by the sheer possibilities of the Note10.

We are both Samsung now and she is glad. We use Samsung messages instead of iMessage. Duo instead of FaceTime. Quickshare instead of Airdrop. She isn't missing anything major.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Seems like you are still learning to use the Note10+ my friend:

- if you use face unlock on Note10+ its just as fast if not faster granted you lose the 3D security. I use the 2D face unlock and its pretty good. Also use the finger print for individual apps like banking etc.

- Samsung Messages is RC now and is exactly like iMessages with other recent Samsung phones. Share full size videos and images.

- Samsung quickshare is equivalent to Airdrop

- Also I have had favourite contacts on Android since early 2010s. I have them on all Samsung devices including my current S20+.

- Wife has taken my old Note10 and she came from a long history of iPhones. Her initial conclusion included being blown away by the sheer possibilities of the Note10.

We are both Samsung now and she is glad. We use Samsung messages instead of iMessage. Duo instead of FaceTime. Quickshare instead of Airdrop. She isn't missing anything major.

I didn't have to use fingerprint at all with iPhone. FaceID handled it. It is fine. I'm getting used to not having FaceID. But I'm not going to pretend it isn't superior to Android. I've been on both sides and that is my take on it. It is ok to say one phone does something better than another.

"exactly like iMessages with other recent Samsung phones"
"Samsung quickshare is equivalent to Airdrop"

There are no other Samsung phones in my family. I switched to Samsung to meet MY needs and I don't expect my family to follow. They are happy with iPhone and I'm not a tech dictator.

Glad your wife is happy with her phone.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Yeah, I wish I had that luxury of using a different messenger... but unfortunately iMessage has a stronghold amongst my family and friends. I primarily use my iPad and iMac for message purposes, however I do have AirMessage for my Note10+ and it works fairly well.

Reactions: servenvolley

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I wanted to get a Note as a secondary phone to so I can doodle on the go. I love my iPad Pro and iPad mini but at times it can be cumbersome to handle as a bus commuter. I got a “renewed” Note 9 for $400 but good god their quality check is horrible. Micro scratches everywhere and a worn out spen. I quickly put in a request for a return and refund. I saw an open box (excellent condition) Note 10+ totaling $700 at Best Buy and put in an order. I the arrives this Saturday. I’m hoping that it’s worth the extra $300 but it seems like such a good deal.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I saw an open box (excellent condition) Note 10+ totaling $700 at Best Buy and put in an order. I the arrives this Saturday. I’m hoping that it’s worth the extra $300 but it seems like such a good deal.

IMO, Note 10 is a huge upgrade over the Note 9. I briefly had the Note 9, I could not give up my iPhone X at the time. But I'm a huge fan of the Note 10 hardware... the design and size is whats intriguing about the Note 10 over the Note 9.

And since you are getting the Note 10 Plus, that 12 GB of RAM... is reassuring to have when multitasking.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
That’s great to hear. Does anyone know of a specific case for the note 10+ that can protect the curved screen?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
IMO, Note 10 is a huge upgrade over the Note 9. I briefly had the Note 9, I could not give up my iPhone X at the time. But I'm a huge fan of the Note 10 hardware... the design and size is whats intriguing about the Note 10 over the Note 9.

And since you are getting the Note 10 Plus, that 12 GB of RAM... is reassuring to have when multitasking.
Can't say that I notice the 12GB of RAM at all. I didn't notice the 6GB in the Note 8 before it either. Both reload and refresh tabs/apps every bit as frequently as my old Xperia with 4GB of RAM.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Can't say that I notice the 12GB of RAM at all. I didn't notice the 6GB in the Note 8 before it either. Both reload and refresh tabs/apps every bit as frequently as my old Xperia with 4GB of RAM.

I think you are being a little disingenuous comparing an old Xperia with 4GB of RAM to a Note with 12GB of RAM. However, my belief is the underneath processes that's under the Note 10 Plus helps having 12GB of RAM. Having multiple widgets, on top of background activities... along with using apps and loading multiple tabs, there will be a difference. But, I haven't tested an older Android phone to determine the benefits of larger RAM though.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I didn't have to use fingerprint at all with iPhone. FaceID handled it. It is fine. I'm getting used to not having FaceID. But I'm not going to pretend it isn't superior to Android. I've been on both sides and that is my take on it. It is ok to say one phone does something better than another.

"exactly like iMessages with other recent Samsung phones"
"Samsung quickshare is equivalent to Airdrop"

There are no other Samsung phones in my family. I switched to Samsung to meet MY needs and I don't expect my family to follow. They are happy with iPhone and I'm not a tech dictator.

Glad your wife is happy with her phone.
FaceID is a PITA at the moment with whole mask situation. At work I’m now required to wear a mask all the time. It takes such a long time to get into my phone. Not to mention those apps that unlock with faceID.
[automerge]1592515698[/automerge]
I think you are being a little disingenuous comparing an old Xperia with 4GB of RAM to a Note with 12GB of RAM. However, my belief is the underneath processes that's under the Note 10 Plus helps having 12GB of RAM. Having multiple widgets, on top of background activities... along with using apps and loading multiple tabs, there will be a difference. But, I haven't tested an older Android phone to determine the benefits of larger RAM though.
I have a galaxy S5. My husband has a note 8. The note 8 is noticeably faster and more fluid and stable. The S5 has 4GB of ram.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
FaceID is a PITA at the moment with whole mask situation. At work I’m now required to wear a mask all the time. It takes such a long time to get into my phone. Not to mention those apps that unlock with faceID.
[automerge]1592515698[/automerge]

I have a galaxy S5. My husband has a note 8. The note 8 is noticeably faster and more fluid and stable. The S5 has 4GB of ram.
Way faster processor.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

Good point. One of the things I've found I like about my Samsung Note10+ is that I actually use its facial recognition, fingerprint, as well as patterns all for different reasons. I use facial rec to open my phone. It works fine although not completely secure. I use pattern when masked at night fighting crime....err...I mean...masked cuz of pandemic. And I use fingerprint for opening sensitive apps or making transactions. The multitude of options make it easier than I first reported. I like it.

I wanted to get a Note as a secondary phone to so I can doodle on the go. I love my iPad Pro and iPad mini but at times it can be cumbersome to handle as a bus commuter. I got a “renewed” Note 9 for $400 but good god their quality check is horrible. Micro scratches everywhere and a worn out spen. I quickly put in a request for a return and refund. I saw an open box (excellent condition) Note 10+ totaling $700 at Best Buy and put in an order. I the arrives this Saturday. I’m hoping that it’s worth the extra $300 but it seems like such a good deal.

I bought a refurb from decluttr. It is like new. I don't think I'll ever buy a phone brand new again.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
No idea how you guys can use your fingerprint reader. Mine has a woeful success rate of something like 15%. I have even used up all six stored prints on the ONE finger but to no avail.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.