Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
In case you guys did not notice, I am between iPhone 5 or this Note 2

Samsung Galaxy Note has been released half a year ago and it proved to be a very successful device. Samsung plans to sell over 10 million units and it seems like it’s able to, considering 7 million units have already been shipped.
A newer Galaxy Note version was to be expected and we now have some rumors about it. It seems like Samsung will inspire from the Galaxy S3, so the Note will look very much like it, though it will be bigger. According to our sources it will also come with Galaxy S3′s new features, like the Smart Stay, S Voice, and S Beam.
It seems like the Galaxy Note will have an even bigger display and a really attractive resolution. It’s 5.5-inch WSXGA+ display with 1680×1050 pixels resolution will feature a 360 pixels density, though it will not be full HD, like some expected. Unfortunately it will be Pentile, just like the one present in the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note.
Maybe you know that some rumors said the Galaxy S3 will come with a new Exynos 5250 processor, though it didn’t prove to be true. But it seems like Samsung is preparing that processor for the Galaxy Note 2. The Exynos 5250 is going to be built on the ARM Cortex-A15 CPU, which should be much faster and battery-friendly.
It’s camera will probably the same one from the Galaxy S3, while it will come with 1.5GB of RAM and 4G LTE. Rumors also say the release date is set for October 2012, when it should hit Europe, while the rest of the world should follow a few weeks later.
The new Galaxy Note 2 should be priced just like the Galaxy Note and Galaxy S3, once it hits the stores.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I honestly thought the Note was going to be an epic fail; I see people everywhere with their Note, which irritates me a bit, but I'm glad there's diversity on the phone market -- I guess.

Personally, I don't like it. It's just too big.
I'll keep my eye out for the 2 just for the heck of it :)

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2011
I honestly thought the Note was going to be an epic fail; I see people everywhere with their Note, which irritates me a bit, but I'm glad there's diversity on the phone market -- I guess.

I'm seeing it a lot too. I find that it's very popular among women. I guess it's not to big when you carry a purse as well :confused

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Not interested in talking on a 5.5 inch mutant of a phone much. I'll stick with the iPhone.

huge-phone.jpg

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I'm seeing it a lot too. I find that it's very popular among women. I guess it's not to big when you carry a purse as well :confused

I think that's it. I personally have yet to see one (outside of the store) so I'm surprised you report seeing a lot of them. Maybe it's because I'm an engineer and not around enough women. :p

Twixt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012

Interesting point.
I guess it also depends on usage as some people only use phoning features vs others mostly gaming and browsing... I suppose women are part of first group though

----------

Not interested in talking on a 5.5 inch mutant of a phone much. I'll stick with the iPhone.

huge-phone.jpg

I wish iPad could embed phone features... And for your information some people do use hands free kits ;)

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think it was just a passing fad, especially since the majority of those sales appeared to be from the first couple months.

Here in South Korea, there are tons of people who have Notes... It's generally young women who have space in their handbags for such a huge device.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

I didn't think it would be a fail, but its still surprising how many I've seen out and about or especially in business. Gotta hand it to Samsung as they targeted a specific market and niche perfectly and the AT&T stores here could barely keep them in stock. It's still too big for me, but obviously there are a lot of people that love it and it's size.

I'm curious what the next Nexus will be like as I preferred my GSII over the current one.

wx4olf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
They really need to wow me with this one. I hope they fix the pen. On mine now it isn't totally accurate. Still a great device.

I'm running the latest leaked build of ICS on mine and the s pen works pretty good after I configure it for lefties. It even does a pretty good job of converting my chicken scratch to text. Note that I am using the s pen holder accessory that makes it more like holding a regular pen.

Overall, I love the screen size for reading and surfing the web but the sheer size of the Note makes it a little unwieldy at times. At least for me it is more of a two handed device so I find that I am drifting more towards using the Note as a mini tablet while relying on my GSII or 3GS for my primary phone. One things for sure, going back to my 3GS to play with the latest iOS updates is jarring. :eek:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Still looks like an idiot talking on something that big ;)

Agreed. The iPhone feels just right. The Note is hideous. I find it amusing that of all the Android phones out there, this forum is utterly obsessed with the GNote. You'd think they would be obsessed with finding a small one to compete with the iPhone or something.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Agreed. The iPhone feels just right. The Note is hideous. I find it amusing that of all the Android phones out there, this forum is utterly obsessed with the GNote. You'd think they would be obsessed with finding a small one to compete with the iPhone or something.

It s actually not that I want to bring competition at any cost!
I am quite disappointed by last AAPL developments, skipped 4 and 4s I did not like and am expecting a blast for number 5. Otherwise I will go for another brand and model, and this Note 2 might be the one having my money on...
I am sure I am not alone here having exactly same process in mind, it is "almost" do or die for AAPL in October...

Last edited:

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Can't wait... I like the GS3. But a Note with similar (or maybe better specs, like a higher clocked processor) would be amazing. iOS 6 disappointed me.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I am quite disappointed by last AAPL developments, skipped 4 and 4s I did not like and am expecting a blast for number 5. Otherwise I will go for another brand and model, and this Note 2 might be the one having my money on...
I am sure I am not alone here having exactly same process in mind, it is "almost" do or die for AAPL in October...

Can I ask what features you actually want?

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

Why? I consider myself quite the geek, I have a number of gadgets (MBP, Kindle Fire, Kindle Keyboard, iPad 3, iPhone 4S), and I think the iPhone is the premier smartphone experience for AT&T customers. I'm rather happy with the 4S, the only big thing I'm wishing it had was LTE, but that's not because of the feature of LTE itself, but rather AT&T's incompetence at managing it's HSPA+ network in some places, like NYC. I love the form factor, the software is good, and one of my main complaints, lack of turn-by-turn other than TomTom will be rectified soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.