Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
4.3 is tolerably large, but its still really big. I can't one hand nearly as much with my GS2 as I can with my iPhone. I don't have small hands, its just not as effortless so I don't do it.

Sure that 5.5" would require using both hands...

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
How far is this going to go? We all know that 3.5" is the one correct size for a smartphone. So Verizon stretched it a little to 3.7". And then Somebody went to 4". Well, 4.3" is only a little bigger than 4". Using this same flawed thinking through 4.5", 4.65", 4.7", 4.8", all of the sudden 5.3" is apparently just a little bigger than 3.5". Something went wrong somewhere. And now We're supposed to believe that 5.5" is basically the same as 5.3"???

It could be essentially the same size if they do nexus like onscreen buttons.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
That may be your opinion, but some people like the size of the Note. Just because you think it is way to big, doesn't mean there aren't people who think differently.

It is physically, anatomically too large for a human being to use. And I have large hands. It would be even worse for someone with more average sized hands.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
It is physically, anatomically too large for a human being to use. And I have large hands. It would be even worse for someone with more average sized hands.

It's too large to use one handed, maybe. But it's not "anatomically too large for a human being to use." In that case, an iPad is also too large for a human to use.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Don't mistake your opinion for a fact. You get harping on and on about how "too big" it is, but some people might not think so. We have this skinny guy at work, asian with a typical asian build, who has the original Note and likes it to death.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
We'll see. If it doesn't fit in a standard shirt pocket like the current one, it will be FAIL.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
It's too large to use one handed, maybe. But it's not "anatomically too large for a human being to use." In that case, an iPad is also too large for a human to use.

That's a different use case. A phone needs to be able to be used one-handed for walking down a street or while carrying stuff, etc.

Don't mistake your opinion for a fact. You get harping on and on about how "too big" it is, but some people might not think so. We have this skinny guy at work, asian with a typical asian build, who has the original Note and likes it to death.

It is a fact that my hands are larger than average. It is also a fact that the Galaxy note is a good inch too large for my hands. Hence, it is a fact that it is too large for the vast majority of the population, unless they have highly atypically-sized hands.

Having had various iPhones over the past 5 years, one of the biggest reasons I left and got a Windows Phone was being fed up with what increasingly felt like a tiny screen.

The 3.5" screen is perfect.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Galaxy-Note-as-phone1-540x441.jpg

Doesn't look too goofy, but I don't know if it would fit in my pocket.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
The 3.5" screen is perfect.

That's your opinion. I have relatively small hands and I have a Skyrocket which has a 4.5" screen, and I can use it one handed, although any bigger might be a little cumbersome for me.
The Note is a wonderful phone for people who want a larger screen and don't care about one handed use. They know what they are getting themselves into when they are buying it and it works for them, which is all that matters.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I think it was just a passing fad, especially since the majority of those sales appeared to be from the first couple months.

Here in South Korea, there are tons of people who have Notes... It's generally young women who have space in their handbags for such a huge device.

Yeah I'm seeing all Galaxy Notes on korean dramas :p

It is a fact that my hands are larger than average. It is also a fact that the Galaxy note is a good inch too large for my hands. Hence, it is a fact that it is too large for the vast majority of the population, unless they have highly atypically-sized hands.

Where are you getting your data from? And you can't post such unspecified facts :p How do you define large? Is it with one hand or two? Using a phone has more dimensions to it than just hand-size. Perhaps you find it uncomfortable to put your fingers/hands in certain positions that would make it easier to use the Note.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

My hands are probably a similar size to yours and I find 4.7" fine to use one handed. Your opinion of the best size isn't a fact.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Where are you getting your data from? And you can't post such unspecified facts :p How do you define large? Is it with one hand or two? Using a phone has more dimensions to it than just hand-size. Perhaps you find it uncomfortable to put your fingers/hands in certain positions that would make it easier to use the Note.

I have done many hand and foot comparisons with other people, and my hands and feet are well above average. I'm also a 6'3" 250lb (and working to reduce the lb) male. Combine that with an occasional gander in the AT&T store, and you have some reality. I laugh at the Note every time I see it in the store.

My hands are probably a similar size to yours and I find 4.7" fine to use one handed. Your opinion of the best size isn't a fact.

It's based on anatomy.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have the Note, and while I'm enjoying it, I'm still a bit on the fence about whether or not I would go with an upgrade of the same or go over to another phone.

• I found it to be too big to use with one hand until I discovered I could shrink the keyboard size and move it over to one side or the other (left- or right-handed). Now I can text again with one hand.
  • It's too big for my pockets, but to my surprise most of the bags I use have some pocket that's big enough.
  • I like being able to take simple notes on it at meetings with the pen and have them be transferred to computer-editable type. I use Evernote, and if the notes aren't too complicated it's great not to have to take my MBA or tablet with me.
  • The sound quality is good, and even better with the provided handsfree. I have an Etymotic BT speaker/mike, but BT drains phone batteries too fast for my taste.
  • Good screen size for surfing and reading Kindle books. I use it a lot for reading on the way to and from work. My tablet now stays home a lot of the time.

Basically I like to try stuff out, and am enjoying getting to know the device. But it is BIG for a phone. :p

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I don't get it either. It's not like Apple or Google are paying you.

I'm currently using Samsung Galaxy S3 and replying with my BlackBerry PlayBook. In a few minutes I'm going out to buy the new 13" MacBook Air. IMO all are the best in their class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.