Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I agree, I never actually had an issue or problem with the iPhone screen.... until I got my GSII. Then realized how much a difference it makes for everything from browsing to emails, I do a ton of both on this phone, night and day better. With that said I'm kinda put off by the larger size Android devices as I personally feel this one is the perfect size for me at 4.3" as the thin factor and small case relative to the screen make it feel barely bigger than an iPhone. Using some of the other Android devices they felt noticeably larger to me (still useable and fit in a pocket no prob, just like the GSII form better), haven't used the GSIII though yet.

I went from the 4" SGS to the 3.5" iPhone, and the iPhone just fits so much better in my hand... even with OtterBox case on it... I could deal with a 4.3", but I doubt I could really deal with anything larger.

I would think that Samsung would come out with a smaller high-end phone, even if it is a bit of a brick to hold the battery, just to have an option to the SGS III and it's gargantuan 4.8" screen.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Samsung should just get thew new 5" Retina LG display that was announced a short while ago with a 440ppi resolution @ 1080p, that would kick Apple where it counts in the resolution dept.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I went from the 4" SGS to the 3.5" iPhone, and the iPhone just fits so much better in my hand... even with OtterBox case on it... I could deal with a 4.3", but I doubt I could really deal with anything larger.

I would think that Samsung would come out with a smaller high-end phone, even if it is a bit of a brick to hold the battery, just to have an option to the SGS III and it's gargantuan 4.8" screen.
They had different sizes before, so I too was hoping there would be a 4.3" S3 model, but looks like I was wrong lol.

This phone runs so fast and smooth with crazy good battery life on this ICS Rom I'm using though that I'll be fine not upgrading later this year, maybe next year we'll see some nice 4.3" models again lol :D

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
They had different sizes before, so I too was hoping there would be a 4.3" S3 model, but looks like I was wrong lol.

This phone runs so fast and smooth with crazy good battery life on this ICS Rom I'm using though that I'll be fine not upgrading later this year, maybe next year we'll see some nice 4.3" models again lol :D

They really don't. The smaller sizes pretty much always have significantly lower specs.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
The note is far to big for me. I understand why some may like it but for me it's too big. I'll stick with my 4s for a while. Then pickup the new iPhone off contract.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
As much as I love my note, there are times the larger size is a pain in the ass, especially when I'm in the car and need to use it one handed.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
As much as I love my note, there are times the larger size is a pain in the ass, especially when I'm in the car and need to use it one handed.

Kinda agree on that, though using in a car is not recommended...

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010

Why do you need to use it in the car one handed? Because your other hand is on the wheel? I hope you don't crash your car using the phone one handed then.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
I don't think it's competing head to head with anything. It's so bizarre and hideous that it's in a league of it's own.

I agree with you. My point about competition was referring to launch date. No doubt that iphone 5 sales will outnumber Note 2 ones...
But NO Galaxy note is not bizarre and hideous, my father has one and this real estate totally changes browsing experience on a "phone". I hate browsing on my phone as I can not read anything unless pinching and resizing all the time...

Last edited:

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
5.5 inches! My tablet is 7.0 inches for goodness sake. If the rumors are true this will defiantly be a phone that you'll have to try out at the store before purchasing.

Exactly.

That iPad pic that keeps getting posted in every Galaxy Note thread/discussion is played out.

First. TEXTING is so popular that I rarely see people using their Smart Phones to TALK.

Second. Who says you have to hold it up when there's Bluetooth (In-Ear or Handsfree for the Car) or using the Headset. I also have Bose AE2i Headphones with Inline Remote.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Smartphones are rather useless if you need both hands. What if you're holding a bunch of crap walking down the street or out of a store or something? I can type, not fast, but I can type on the iPhone with one hand.

I have a Galaxy Note and agree that it is a bit big to use one handed, but with the voice options available, and bluetooth sets available, I don't mind the larger size. I use my phone 99% of the time for things other than making or receiving calls, so the larger screen was the deciding factor for me.
Also, I try not to be one of those people talking on the phone while in a store. Man that is annoying!

With that said, I did use my wifes iPhone today, and totally forgot just how usable that thing is with one hand!

Twixt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Exactly.

That iPad pic that keeps getting posted in every Galaxy Note thread/discussion is played out.

First. TEXTING is so popular that I rarely see people using their Smart Phones to TALK.

Second. Who says you have to hold it up when there's Bluetooth (In-Ear or Handsfree for the Car) or using the Headset. I also have Bose AE2i Headphones with Inline Remote.

+1
I don't remember when having to manage a call without any handfree kit...

Last edited by a moderator:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
It s actually not that I want to bring competition at any cost!
I am quite disappointed by last AAPL developments, skipped 4 and 4s I did not like and am expecting a blast for number 5. Otherwise I will go for another brand and model, and this Note 2 might be the one having my money on...
I am sure I am not alone here having exactly same process in mind, it is "almost" do or die for AAPL in October...
I stumbled upon macrumors by accident but have been noticing a trend among some of its members. Drama! I am in no way what I've seen others called a "fan boy" but saying the next iPhone is "almost" do or die for apple seems like you are crying out for attention or suffering from some kind of dillusional state. I'm not really sure what would be do or die about it as I've been checking the sales numbers as of late for their phones and they seem pretty robust to me. I frequent many tech sites including other iPhone leaning sites and have never seen the level of drama that I have seen here on Mac rumors. I'm sure what ever apple decides to put out next will be a great product as much as I'm sure other companies will continue to put out great products. Just like in my own home, there is enough room for many phones produced by many manufacturers. So how about dropping the hyperbole
and simply discuss the strengths and weaknesses of any given device when compared to one another. Of course while remembering that most people buy the device that best suits their need which of course makes that device the best device for them. Just a new members observation and suggestion. Partly directed towards you Twixt but your post was mostly the catalyst for an overall observation.

Last edited:

thewaffle

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Re:

4.3 to me is the sweet spot as was my Droid X. I could do everything one handed and the screen size was perfect for reading. 5'3 is nice if you use your phone mainly for consuming media and reading but on a daily basis that's a basketball players one handed device. Why do they need to go to 5'5? I could actually put the not in my gym pants pockets but it was tight in my jeans.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
GEEZ. 5.5" When is the madness going to stop?

I have to agree it is quite large! But with previous at 5.3" and SG3 at 4.8" they had to make it significantly bigger...
At least you can eventually browse and read with this kind of display screen!

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
4.3 to me is the sweet spot as was my Droid X. I could do everything one handed and the screen size was perfect for reading. 5'3 is nice if you use your phone mainly for consuming media and reading but on a daily basis that's a basketball players one handed device. Why do they need to go to 5'5? I could actually put the not in my gym pants pockets but it was tight in my jeans.

The Galaxy Note 2, like the Galaxy Note, is not aimed at every single consumer. It is a niche item, aimed at a niche market that wants a smartphone built like a tablet. It is a convergent device, combining a tablet and a phone. It isn't made to be everyone's smartphone, just the people that are looking for a "phablet". For those looking for something a bit more like a smartphone, they sell the Galaxy S3. Contrary to what many may think, the Galaxy S3 isn't a massive phone. It's only slightly larger than 4.3" phones. For example, the HTC Amaze is 5.12" in length, compared to the Galaxy S3 being 5.38. In width, the Amaze is 2.58", while the Galaxy S3 is 2.78". That means the S3 is .25" longer, and .2" wider than the Amaze (which is a 4.3" screen device). That isn't very much device size difference at all, yet the screen size difference is very noticeable.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I have to agree it is quite large! But with previous at 5.3" and SG3 at 4.8" they had to make it significantly bigger...
At least you can eventually browse and read with this kind of display screen!

4.8" is WAY too big. 4.3" is tolerably large, but that's about it. Anything past that is just mental.

----------

That's also from a large-handed and large-boned person, so for many people, 4.3" is just too big, and 4" or smaller would be tops.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
4.3 is tolerably large, but its still really big. I can't one hand nearly as much with my GS2 as I can with my iPhone. I don't have small hands, its just not as effortless so I don't do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.