Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
I'm a huge Note fan, my Note 10+ is easily the best phone I've ever owned, but If this is true, I'm actually kinda happy. This way, I won't be tempted before the Fold 3. ?

Reactions: Dave245

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yep, really sucks but there must be a reason why they're doing it.

They've conglomerated the features, s21 ultra looks great, shame about the rounded corners.

I can get $1490 trade for my phone, might trade this weekend, I can potentially get the 512gb at no cost.

The battery life, screen, soc make it very appealing.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The original note phone was my first Samsung phone. This is is so upsetting.
was my first phone apart from the iPhone so yes it's very sad to see. lets face it the note line is what kicked started big phones.

The fold really can't be seen as a direct replacement due to the price and not everybody wants a folding phone. So the S ultra will be that but again you need to use their case to support the pen so for many it could be a tough sell.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
was my first phone apart from the iPhone so yes it's very sad to see. lets face it the note line is what kicked started big phones.

The fold really can't be seen as a direct replacement due to the price and not everybody wants a folding phone. So the S ultra will be that but again you need to use their case to support the pen so for many it could be a tough sell.
Personally I’ve got 3 options, i can either repurchase the Note 20 Ultra and live with the battery life, try out the S20 Ultra with S Pen (but I much prefer the design of the Note with that curved display) or lastly I could skip Samsung phones altogether, either stick with my current iPhone 11 Pro Max until the 13 comes out, or buy the Surface Duo when it releases here in the U.K.

I think Samsung are making a mistake, they will lose customers over it. Not everyone will jump to the Fold (im one of them).

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
This is good news if it was officially announced by Samsung. I think a lot of people have complained about the Note possibly being removed, they have changed course and decided to backtrack (as suggested in the video).

Yes its very good news and this Channel is reliable but lets hear it from Samsung.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
"Koh also told Bloomberg, “Note series is positioned as a high-end model in our business portfolio. It could be a burden to unveil two flagship models in a year so it might be difficult to release Note model in 2H"

Exactly what we discussed last year in many occasions. Launching two major flagships in 12 months is costly, exhausting and time wasting.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It's always been staggered between S and Note series releases so nothing really new. Now that the S supports pen it's no big loss but rather a smaller compromise between exterior pen + bigger battery of S or internal pen + smaller battery of Note. Personally, give me a nice Spigen Thin Fit case with pen holder and I won't miss the Note. Spigen Liquid Air is close but not a fan of the back pattern.

https://www.spigen.com/products/galaxy-s21-ultra-5g-case-liquid-air-pro

Reactions: kkh786

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
How? Now we know there will be no Note21 but Note 22 is on the way. At last we heard something from Samsung so its big news for Note fans.

In the past, I'd get the S to play with while holding out for the staggered Note release for the pen. Now the stagger is maybe just longer. Rather have bigger battery + pen in that order anyhow so no big loss since I usually carry a laptop or tablet that has pen support.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Exactly what we discussed last year in many occasions. Launching two major flagships in 12 months is costly, exhausting and time wasting.]
Samsung never had a problem releasing two flagship. This is all smoke and mirrors, let me preference this by saying... I didn't see the video.

But Samsung is only pushing the Note aside due to the foldable market. They went ahead and gave Note users the ability to use the S-Pen in the S Series. But putting a press release saying they are delaying the Note series due to shortages in chips. Well, yeah. They rather release Z Flip and Z Fold over the Note. And that's two different flagship devices at the same time.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
There is a severe shortage of fab capacity right now. Nvidia currently uses Samsung fab for RTX 3000 GPUs. Due to shortage and high demand GPUs have doubled in value so a $1500 Nvidia 3090 is now worth $3000 so it's more profitable to allocate fab capacity to building GPUs and higher end AMD 5950x or 5900x CPUs.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
But Samsung is only pushing the Note aside due to the foldable market.

There is a severe shortage of fab capacity right now

That's not what Samsung's CEO has said. He said its a burden to release two major flagships in one year. Please refer Quotation in post #37 above. After launching a mega flagship like S21 ultra, Samsung simply don't have appetite to launch Note21 this year.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The Verge is rubbish and not a reliable source of info. Just wait until August timeframe when Samsung usually releases the Note and find out. Samsung does have a point that it doesn't make business sense to release two products that overlap and compete with each other plus spreading component shortage even thinner. And, Intel may eventually have to outsource to Samsung or TSMC fab making the situation even worse.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's not what Samsung's CEO has said. He said its a burden to release two major flagships in one year. Please refer Quotation in post #37 above. After launching a mega flagship like S21 ultra, Samsung simply don't have appetite to launch Note21 this year.
Well, the title of MacRumors article suggested that it was a shortage in chip. But as I’ve said… the Z Flip and Z Fold isn’t considered flagship? I would think that the price reflects that. Perhaps, there’s more marketing that goes in on the S and Note series. That’s why it’s considered a “mega” flagship. But, the writing was on the wall with the Note when Samsung added the S-Pen to the S-Series.

Tbh, I don’t think the Note will come back. I could be wrong, but I don’t see a reason to bring the Note back. I think this was strategic on Samsung part, they didn’t want to announce discontinuation of the Note… not yet, at least.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
the Z Flip and Z Fold isn’t considered flagship?

They are flagships but uncomparable in every way with the two big guns of Samsung main phones S & N series.

Your question should be directed to Samsung's CEO who was quoted saying ....

"It could be a burden to unveil two flagship models in a year so it might be difficult to release Note model in 2H"

"

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder if this is because of people (like myself) complaining about the possible discontinuation of the Note lineup? They know about the rumours and with DJ seemingly confirming that the Note lineup will stay (all be it with a break this year) it seems like they are trying to reassure people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.