Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
You really don’t like it?

I'm being sarcastic most the time. Just teasing.

But...I've tried iOS and the way it operates meaning moving around the phone I just don't like at all. I find the gestures on Android way better with the back swipe, etc... and swiping down anywhere on the screen pulling down the notification shade I like much more than some keyboard popping up to search for God who knows what and why?

But the build quality and design apple does for the iPhone, is bar none the best. I will say they create extremely nice devices.

And I will also say apps on iOS are just better, t they do have more settings options. They do seem more polished. I think apps are just done better on the iPhone than they are an Android.

Last edited:

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Nah. If I were to ever venture back to Android, it would be a pixel. While Samsung makes great devices, it’s the software that I just grow tired of. The double apps, and RCS just did not seem to work and I missed out on a lot of texts.
Pixel experience is awesome I wish we could customize some more but otherwise smooth sailing for the most part ..btw iPhone 15PM is running like a champ...bit difference for me after 3 yrs not upgrading

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Nah. If I were to ever venture back to Android, it would be a pixel. While Samsung makes great devices, it’s the software that I just grow tired of. The double apps, and RCS just did not seem to work and I missed out on a lot of texts.

For me it was also the software, I had apps randomly quit back to the Home Screen on me. I would restart my S23 Ultra, and it would be fine for a few days, but then it would do the same again. The double apps is annoying, Samsung could easily fix it tho.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
For me it was also the software, I had apps randomly quit back to the Home Screen on me. I would restart my S23 Ultra, and it would be fine for a few days, but then it would do the same again. The double apps is annoying, Samsung could easily fix it tho.
First off, I am sorry about your experience with the s23 ultra. It seems very different from my experience. I have not had any issues with apps randomly quitting.

If anything I have had about an equal number of glitches between the S23 ultra and P7P. Both have actually been really stable for me. Better than iOS. Now with iOS 17 we shall see if Apple returns to the focus on stability they have had for so many years.

To be honest, the S23 ultra has been the best phone I have ever owned. Of course there is room for improvement, specially with the duplicate app situation but the hardware on the s23 ultra is just about the best and the software is just about the best. There are things that I appreciate more about OneUI than Pixel UI and vice versa. They are both really excellent.

What sets the Pixel phone apart from all others, including Apple is AI and so far that bet has been paying off. The Tensor has allowed Google two really crucial things. One is all the ML/AI chops and the other is owning their own chips design which frees them from Qualcomm update limitations and now we are seeing the results.

I actually predicted or said if Google supported their devices for 7 years it would pretty much get rid of the support advantage iPhone users have had for years. It could potentially boost long term value of Pixel phones.

I don't know what contracts that Samsung has with Qualcomm regarding how long they allow firmware updates but I know there is a limit.

If Samsung could ever get it's Exynos chips working comparable to TSMC produced Qualcomm chips or better then they could conceivably do the same thing as Apple and Google. Seems to me that have the Processor company dictate the terms of support is a bad idea and full of conflict of interest.

As much as people complain about Exynos, this is part of the reason I am willing to compromise using an Exynos based chip. Hopefully Samsung will eventually get there or at least close enough to be the value leader while still delivering good performance.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
First off, I am sorry about your experience with the s23 ultra. It seems very different from my experience. I have not had any issues with apps randomly quitting.

If anything I have had about an equal number of glitches between the S23 ultra and P7P. Both have actually been really stable for me. Better than iOS. Now with iOS 17 we shall see if Apple returns to the focus on stability they have had for so many years.

To be honest, the S23 ultra has been the best phone I have ever owned. Of course there is room for improvement, specially with the duplicate app situation but the hardware on the s23 ultra is just about the best and the software is just about the best. There are things that I appreciate more about OneUI than Pixel UI and vice versa. They are both really excellent.

What sets the Pixel phone apart from all others, including Apple is AI and so far that bet has been paying off. The Tensor has allowed Google two really crucial things. One is all the ML/AI chops and the other is owning their own chips design which frees them from Qualcomm update limitations and now we are seeing the results.

I actually predicted or said if Google supported their devices for 7 years it would pretty much get rid of the support advantage iPhone users have had for years. It could potentially boost long term value of Pixel phones.

I don't know what contracts that Samsung has with Qualcomm regarding how long they allow firmware updates but I know there is a limit.

If Samsung could ever get it's Exynos chips working comparable to TSMC produced Qualcomm chips or better then they could conceivably do the same thing as Apple and Google. Seems to me that have the Processor company dictate the terms of support is a bad idea and full of conflict of interest.

As much as people complain about Exynos, this is part of the reason I am willing to compromise using an Exynos based chip. Hopefully Samsung will eventually get there or at least close enough to be the value leader while still delivering good performance.
For sure, from a pure hardware and functionality perspective, it's hard to beat the S23 Ultra. :)

I do appreciate their take on pretty much blowing up simplicity and saying "hey, were' just going to throw the kitchen sink at you" approach. The irony is that this is approach is what made using it exhausting after a while. I actually realized that I enjoy simplicity more than I thought. I guess I'm getting old, haha.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
For sure, from a pure hardware and functionality perspective, it's hard to beat the S23 Ultra. :)

I do appreciate their take on pretty much blowing up simplicity and saying "hey, were' just going to throw the kitchen sink at you" approach. The irony is that this is approach is what made using it exhausting after a while. I actually realized that I enjoy simplicity more than I thought. I guess I'm getting old, haha.
I understand that’s been the stance with Samsung… “throw the kitchen sink at you“ approach. But I think it’s more nuance than that.

Samsung gives us options, it’s on the user to decide whether or not they want to improve upon their phone. Some decide to use the S-Pen, others don’t. Even with GoodLock, I don’t take advantage of the entire module... I pick and choose to see what works for me.

It’s the idea that these features are available for the user, if they don’t care to use it... then don’t and keep it simple.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

I understand. It is kind of a hard line to tow. Keep it simple or feature rich. Hard to do both at the same time.

So I appreciate having two distinct approaches like Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel. I think they both offer a very refined version of each approach and each is really good to use because of the years of improvement. But most people either tend to value the "kitchen sink" or you value simplicity.

It is why I can't just have a Pixel or a Galaxy or just an iPhone.

I need to use two OS and alternate between them. I find that it keeps the hardware feeling fresh and I don't get bored of the OS. It is fun to see what features get released to each device.

I find it really hard to use just one device but if I had to it is hard to say. The s pen has really saved me a couple times when I needed to sign documents on the go. The s23 ultra has just been a terrific device from day one. I like all the extras. But I also hate duplicate apps, bloat, and unnecessary gimmicks which Samsung seems to excel in. The Pixel 7 Pro as it is now is a great phone but compared to the s23 ultra is just lacking in a few key areas. If the Pixel 8 pro can improve and hopefully eliminate the issues with the Pixel 7 Pro then it is possible it would be the "one".

As it stands now the s23 ultra is the king. And if you want you can at least tame the Samsung beast by using Nova launcher, turning off all the extra settings, using G-board, and a few other tweaks you can make your s23 ultra feel like a Pixel. But you can't ever make your Pixel feel like a Samsung?

To me Samsung has the best hardware but Google has the best software when you consider the extra AI features in a Pixel. It is those AI features along with the new hardware on the Pixel 8 Pro that could make it the stand out phone of the year. We will all know soon enough.

Reactions: robvalentine

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Double apps lol. I don't use double apps. When people get used to iOS they get used to the apps they were given and then when they jump ship they can't find apps that does exactly what their Apple apps did. It's the same when longtime Android users move to iPhone. Constantly hunting for workarounds and apps that do things better.

Samsung provide their own apps and then they put Google's on there too in just the same way that Apple load their version of apps and you can also install Google apps if you want. Nobody uses both the Samsung and Google apps for the same thing. Pick one and disable the other. I use a 3rd party mail app (Aqua), the Samsung Internet explorer & gallery apps, Google's calendar & SMS apps, WhatsApp and FB Messenger. I have never in my life missed an Apple app. Horses for courses and good luck with your 15PM. I'm sure it's a great phone. At least you gave Android your best shot.👍

jc0481

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Wow! I thought this post would help me decide my next phone. I'm still deciding.
I currently own the iPhone 13 Pro 256 gigs.
I'm also a DoorDash and UberEats driver as a side hustle.
Love the quality of the ios apps and face ID.
I just want a phone that will be fast using it and with data speed. More importantly, a phone that will come in handy in my day to day life.
I like having the option of the S pen and I can put the apps in Alphabetical order. Love the better file management on Android too.
I really hate the disagreement with Amazon and Apple. I can't purchase Kindle books from iPhone Amazon app. Also no Word Runner on the iPhone Kindle app.:mad:
I think I'll wait for the Samsung Galaxy S24.
Point is I want to pick a phone that will make my life easier and convenient in day to day life.
Struggling to pick which will be my next phone.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ugh why get the 15PM? Just curious. Are you used to or familiar with iOS?

I can't stand the operating system on iPhone's. I switched to an iPhone 12 Pro Max few years ago when it first came out, and I came running back to a Google Pixel phone, but I did give it time and tried hard with it. Just way too long of a laundry list to write-up here, but after giving the 12PM a good few months test and trying hard to like the iPhone and iOS, I could never get comfortable with it. Way too many things I did not like on how iOS works, the gestures sucked, no back button sucks, Siri blows, and the way certain things like the Phone app still doesn't have a T9 dialer yet, and message forwarding being weird, etc... Too long to discuss here, but it was not my cup of tea at all.

Basically the iPhone 12 PM hardware was great, cool design, very high-end feel, but iOS felt like a decade outdated, a kids Fisher Price toy, that just wasn't for me. So until Apple does a major overhaul / revamp of iOS, I'm out of the iPhone market.

But good luck with yours :) Seriously not joking, there were a few times I almost chucked that iPhone out my car window in frustration with how bad iOS was.

Are you seriously taking about a T9 dialer on a smartphone (or any phone) in 2023!,

Seriously?!

Attachments

• tumblr_m4gjiiSWOc1rn95k2o1_500.gif
    tumblr_m4gjiiSWOc1rn95k2o1_500.gif
    337.7 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: AeroSatan

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I understand. It is kind of a hard line to tow. Keep it simple or feature rich. Hard to do both at the same time.

So I appreciate having two distinct approaches like Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel. I think they both offer a very refined version of each approach and each is really good to use because of the years of improvement. But most people either tend to value the "kitchen sink" or you value simplicity.

It is why I can't just have a Pixel or a Galaxy or just an iPhone.

I need to use two OS and alternate between them. I find that it keeps the hardware feeling fresh and I don't get bored of the OS. It is fun to see what features get released to each device.

I find it really hard to use just one device but if I had to it is hard to say. The s pen has really saved me a couple times when I needed to sign documents on the go. The s23 ultra has just been a terrific device from day one. I like all the extras. But I also hate duplicate apps, bloat, and unnecessary gimmicks which Samsung seems to excel in. The Pixel 7 Pro as it is now is a great phone but compared to the s23 ultra is just lacking in a few key areas. If the Pixel 8 pro can improve and hopefully eliminate the issues with the Pixel 7 Pro then it is possible it would be the "one".

As it stands now the s23 ultra is the king. And if you want you can at least tame the Samsung beast by using Nova launcher, turning off all the extra settings, using G-board, and a few other tweaks you can make your s23 ultra feel like a Pixel. But you can't ever make your Pixel feel like a Samsung?

To me Samsung has the best hardware but Google has the best software when you consider the extra AI features in a Pixel. It is those AI features along with the new hardware on the Pixel 8 Pro that could make it the stand out phone of the year. We will all know soon enough.
AI features for camera & video only.
Google is getting sucked I to the me Rion AI everywhere game to get a stock boost as well.

The ONLY reason the 8 Pro to be voted phone of 2023 is due to he little'un dweeb that mindlessly hang onto every word mkbhd states. His podcast is terrible and glaringly.incorrect a large number of the times. Pure cringe.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ok ... so riddle me this.

Why is there no 'familiar' way at all for Galaxy devices to have SMS Verification Codes auto-fill into any app?
Tones of inquiries across this site and many others and I came across the solution only once.

PS: changing Settings > Accounts > Google > AutoFill is not the answer.

IF something is done much more succinctly and no security issues, then it is the better way K.I.S.S. still is the best model, burring things levels deep in a monolithically pattern goes against the quickest way the human mind can store and relate to specific information. avoidin that to me is better. Not sure what your definition of better way of doing things is - this is an aside to what either of us is used to btw.

It's down to the app. I notice some grab the codes and others don't.

I found a working solution to sms short code or sms 2FA code to be inserted when prompted by an apl or service.

Here is how to select Google for autofill (moredetailed)
Click on "Settings" icon Scroll down and click
"General Management" Scroll down and click
"Passwords & autofill" Below "Autofill Service"
click on "Autofill with Samsung" On next page
click on "Google" then exit.

However any text entry fields that is presented Ina. Table sometimes may not work. Wealthaimple has been hit or miss.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231003_003306_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003_003306_Chrome.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20231003_003314_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003_003314_Chrome.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 49

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Two quick questions for S23 owners:

- How is the cell reception? On my iPhone 15 is terrible. Worst than on my iPhone 12. I believe Samsung is great with cell reception?

- Does the phone get warm during normal tasks? Not comfortable with how my iPhone 15 gets hot with simple tasks.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

- How is the cell reception? On my iPhone 15 is terrible. Worst than on my iPhone 12. I believe Samsung is great with cell reception?

- Does the phone get warm during normal tasks? Not comfortable with how my iPhone 15 gets hot with simple tasks.
S23+ US Mobile mvno T-mobile 5g service: reception has been great/about the same for me as my OP 8T.

P6P reception with the same SIM and service sucked by comparison. Not sure how much it improved with P7P or the latest P8P.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
s23+ user here, Reception is good on a rubbish carrier tho (three UK). Got warm when resetting up otherwise runs cool. I think the S23 series use same modem as iPhone 15 series so something to bear in mind.

I thought I'd go back to Ios with a 15 pro, big mistake so I returned it as it ran warm, and felt like a downgrade. Also the pics from my S23+ seemed more colour accurate than the iPhone...

The gestures make way more sense on Android IMO

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Double apps lol. I don't use double apps. When people get used to iOS they get used to the apps they were given and then when they jump ship they can't find apps that does exactly what their Apple apps did. It's the same when longtime Android users move to iPhone. Constantly hunting for workarounds and apps that do things better.

Samsung provide their own apps and then they put Google's on there too in just the same way that Apple load their version of apps and you can also install Google apps if you want. Nobody uses both the Samsung and Google apps for the same thing. Pick one and disable the other. I use a 3rd party mail app (Aqua), the Samsung Internet explorer & gallery apps, Google's calendar & SMS apps, WhatsApp and FB Messenger. I have never in my life missed an Apple app. Horses for courses and good luck with your 15PM. I'm sure it's a great phone. At least you gave Android your best shot.👍
I am happy to be the first! I use OneDrive for everything as I find Microsoft services plug into Samsung phones a lot better than Google ones. I only keep the Google Photos app around for the odd occasion I need to make use of the ‘blue’ enhancer to brighten up a dull sky or slide the ‘pop’ over by a few percentage points.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I only got the s23 ultra again for my camera testing on X but i forgot how nice it is and how great a device it is.

I will return it when my testing is done but i think i will be getting S24 ultra regardless. that way can enjoy 15 pro max, pixel 8 pro and the ultra throughout the year.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Would anyone with s23 ultra trade up for pixel 8 pro

I've got the 15pm, s23u, pixel8pro sitting in front of me and because they all have their pros and cons, but early impressions so far, no I wouldn't.

iphone 15pm does everything I need. Boring though, nothing to really play with. Kinda the safe bet.

s23u, well lacks imessage, secure face id, diff notifications. Beeper just about fixes imessage, I can use fingerprint instead of face so no problem, notifications still eurg but 3rd party stuff helps. On the flip side, LOVE the camera and the 10x zoom. Love the level of customisation even down to menu changes and adding filters to the camera app. Love samsung gallery and all the options to edit photos. Spen when I need it is a life saver.

Pixel 8 pro. Iphone of the android world? less customisation than the s23u, feels slower to me and gets warmer faster. AI tricks seem to take ages to execute, I got bored with them quickly. Notifications perfect, wish samsung would offer me that default android behaviour. Camera (if I forget the samsung extras) really great. I've seen so many reviews where they manage to find cases where the pixel doesn't perform well but personal experience has been really good in all the shots I've taken. It's the most "DSLR" like performer out of the three phones to me personally. Oh and the secure face unlock is every bit as good as the iphone (for me) and allows all my banking apps to work so well done google.

I mean all three phones are brilliant IMHO.. lucky to own any of them and really once we have one we should stop looking ;-) but you know how it goes.

I just feel like if I kept the p8pro as my daily driver I'd be wishing I had brought the s23u to mess with this or that

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.