Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
omg :( that would really throw me a curveball as I was expecting to get on the s-ultra annual upgrade schedule but I don't know that I could lose that 10x zoom.

hmmmm!
Yeah, it sucks because that really was the one feature that held me out on switching back to iPhone for so long, even with the call/text issues I had.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
omg :( that would really throw me a curveball as I was expecting to get on the s-ultra annual upgrade schedule but I don't know that I could lose that 10x zoom.

hmmmm!
Per laptopmag.com
Samsung’s 10x optical zoom was a big deal for the S23 Ultra, so rumors of its exit have left many puzzled. However, thanks to a larger sensor size and wider aperture, the improved 50MP telephoto shooter may offer similar results to the periscope’s 10x optical zoom without sacrificing much in the way of image quality.
I guess we gotta see the results when Samsung releases the S24U.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
I have the S23U and P8P and 15PM. I like the P8P and it is a step above the P7P IMHO. But if I could only have one between the S23U and P8P. My choice would be the S23U all day long.

The display is better the sound is better and the battery is better.
P8P wins on FaceUnlock! I hope Samsung will have something similar on the S24U next year.

Then I think the cameras are really really close to be honest.
Thanks for that information

Reactions: jamezr

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They really did great with the Face unlock on the Pixel ..I'm very surprised...one thing I like about it over the S23 is hold in hand ..not that I hated the S23U just that I like the sleek design of the Pixel..

I wouldn't think the Pixel 8 is a sleep device even without the huge camera uni-brow.

Comparison Link: https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=12082&idPhone2=12546#

Dimensions:
Galaxy S23 146.3 x 70.9 x 7.6 mm
Pixel 8 Pro 150.5 x 70.8 x 8.9 mm

But each to their own - glad you like your choice.

Question,

I have a iPhone 13 Pro that I recently scratched the screen on so I am looking to upgrade earlier than planned. I have been eyeing the S23 and really like the device. Should I grab one now or wait until S24? From what I have read the S24 won't be that big of a difference. I am not interested in the Ultra, it is just way too big and square. I love how small and lightweight the S23 is. I have used iOS primarily for years but always dabbled with Android on the side, but now I am thinking about switching to Android long term. I am just annoying with a lot of Apple's decisions lately and design choices. I don't even use Mac anymore. I am firmly back to my custom built PC's with Windows 11. I find it much snappier and more effecient to get things done nowadays than macOS, but that is another story.

The answer really depends on your location.

The Galaxy S24 is heavily rumored to have a split processor choice - Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 for N. America and western Europe (UK potentially) while other regions will get the new Exynos 2400 which in single and multi-core early GeekBemch 6 bemch marks show promising performance to the current S23's Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 which, yet with added performance in AI and a second generation AMD RDNA 3 based GPU with RayTracing (2nd gen) so for gaming you'll appreciate but every day use and in Samsung Dex you'll not notice a difference.

Right now Smaung will give you a pretty good trade in for your 13 Pro so something to consider unless you have AC+ deductible but will you think you'll get a good Grey market offer for it? Either way look into your options.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Question,

I have a iPhone 13 Pro that I recently scratched the screen on so I am looking to upgrade earlier than planned. I have been eyeing the S23 and really like the device. Should I grab one now or wait until S24? From what I have read the S24 won't be that big of a difference. I am not interested in the Ultra, it is just way too big and square. I love how small and lightweight the S23 is. I have used iOS primarily for years but always dabbled with Android on the side, but now I am thinking about switching to Android long term. I am just annoying with a lot of Apple's decisions lately and design choices. I don't even use Mac anymore. I am firmly back to my custom built PC's with Windows 11. I find it much snappier and more effecient to get things done nowadays than macOS, but that is another story.

If I were in your position I would probably go to a Best buy and look at the s23 ultra and the Pixel 8 Pro. Try them out and see what you think of each UI. The way both phones work is pretty different. Some people love the kitchen sink approach of Samsung and some people love the slick UI of the Pixel. Both run Android but with the Pixel 8 Pro you will mostly get faster updates and faster release of major Android upgrades and for 7 years vs 4/5 of Samsung.

That all being said the s23u is probably the best phone of the year. It has one of the best and largest screens, great speakers, great build quality, incredible cameras and s pen. It is extremely customable and you have Dex desktop mode if you need it. The battery life is incredible, the performance is top notch. It is a beast. So you can't go wrong with the s23u. I would probably want to wait and see what the s24 ultra is and if the price changes. I think the s24u should have some significant changes but whether those are good or not, I just don't know.

What I do know is the s23 ultra is one of the best phones Samsung has made to date. If you can get a good deal I would jump on it and save your money.

Alternatively I really think if you are coming from iOS then you need to try a Pixel and see what you think. Specs be damned if you don't like the software experience. Samsung has greatly improved One UI but personally I still prefer Pixel UI so I think you owe it to yourself to check out both.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
For me, hearing that the S24 Ultra was going to do away with the 10x Optical Lens really took away the mystique of owning a Samsung phone. Part of the reason I loved the S23 Ultra was because of that differentiator. I'm sure their 5x will be good, but Apple 5x is good too.
Yeah it seems like a step backwards

The rumoured specs for the 5x lens for S23 ultra

1/2.52 sensor
3.2 aperture

Compared to 8 pro

1/2.55 sensor
2.8 aperture

So how are Samsung going to make the zoom as good in longer ranges? Just doesn't seem likely even with 50mp

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yeah it seems like a step backwards

The rumoured specs for the 5x lens for S23 ultra

1/2.52 sensor
3.2 aperture

Compared to 8 pro

1/2.55 sensor
2.8 aperture

So how are Samsung going to make the zoom as good in longer ranges? Just doesn't seem likely even with 50mp
Yeah, agreed. I mean, even 10x zoom looks decent on the iPhone 15 Pro Max now. But that for me was Samsung's biggest win for me and 10x zoom was the hardest thing to part with when I switched. But as someone that upgrades every year, it would be very hard to be swayed by the S24 Ultra now.

Reactions: The Game 161

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
If you can get a good deal on the s23, I’d get it now. Still a few months before s24 launches. If you decide you want to upgrade when it releases, you could get a decent trade in price from Samsung for your s23 against the price of the s24
Based on what Qualcomm is putting out there, S24 GPU performance will be 81% faster than S23+/U.

Cameras aside, that's not too shabby.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and jamezr

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Everyone is worried about the camera change. This is Samsung's flagship device. I really doubt they'd handicap it in results to loose sales and revenue.

The sensor alone will most likely be very new as well as the glass lenses and their coating over the sensor could make up for the existing 10x Zoom.

Remember the S23's cameras went into the Z Fold 5, and it's picture n video quality increases immensely.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
One week with my S23+. Quite happy but still dealing with stuff that I don't like.

Just now, my girlfriend sent me three messages in WhatsApp and there was no sound notification, just vibration. Phone has sound on. It did sound when I got a Google chat message.

This exact same issue I had with an A71 years ago. What's going on? Never once had this issue with iPhone.

There are more little things, like why Google chat notifications don't show people's images on Android but they do in iOS?

Battery is good, but not much better than my iPhone 15, which is surprising considering it's a little phone. Android does still consume a lot of power in the background.

I really like the 8 gen 2 chipset. Doesn't get as hot as my iPhone 15, not even when fast charging. There's a big difference there.

Another issue is I haven't been able to use Android File Transfer on my iMac. Just worked once. Every time it doesn't open and says no connection to the phone. I do have file transfer option enabled and also tried USB debugging in developer options. Rebooted iMac, tried 3 different cables... Nothing seems to work. My iMac is updated to the previous MacOS (can't remember it's name). I've been able to sent files from the phone to the iMac using Quick Share, but indeed, making Android work with MacOS is a not as easy.

Also picture and video quality is better on the iPhone 15. Camera app works better also.

I forgot about some differences between Android and iOS, like how iOS has files isolated in apps and Android not. I find useful having my media from work only accessible from one app in iOS and not showing in my gallery. On S23 I have secure folder, but I prefer the iOS way. Who would have thought.

Right now I'm worried about the WhatsApp issue. This shouldn't happen on such an expensive phone. I haven't done nothing strange with the settings, but obviously I don't want to spend hours trying to figure out why something so simple is not working as intended. Worst part is I went to iOS because of this issue 3 years ago. I thought at the time it was a bad bad firmware on a low end phone, the A71, but now it also happens on the flagship phone by Samsung?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
One week with my S23+. Quite happy but still dealing with stuff that I don't like.

Just now, my girlfriend sent me three messages in WhatsApp and there was no sound notification, just vibration. Phone has sound on. It did sound when I got a Google chat message.

This exact same issue I had with an A71 years ago. What's going on? Never once had this issue with iPhone.

There are more little things, like why Google chat notifications don't show people's images on Android but they do in iOS?

Battery is good, but not much better than my iPhone 15, which is surprising considering it's a little phone. Android does still consume a lot of power in the background.

I really like the 8 gen 2 chipset. Doesn't get as hot as my iPhone 15, not even when fast charging. There's a big difference there.

Another issue is I haven't been able to use Android File Transfer on my iMac. Just worked once. Every time it doesn't open and says no connection to the phone. I do have file transfer option enabled and also tried USB debugging in developer options. Rebooted iMac, tried 3 different cables... Nothing seems to work. My iMac is updated to the previous MacOS (can't remember it's name). I've been able to sent files from the phone to the iMac using Quick Share, but indeed, making Android work with MacOS is a not as easy.

Also picture and video quality is better on the iPhone 15. Camera app works better also.

I forgot about some differences between Android and iOS, like how iOS has files isolated in apps and Android not. I find useful having my media from work only accessible from one app in iOS and not showing in my gallery. On S23 I have secure folder, but I prefer the iOS way. Who would have thought.

Right now I'm worried about the WhatsApp issue. This shouldn't happen on such an expensive phone. I haven't done nothing strange with the settings, but obviously I don't want to spend hours trying to figure out why something so simple is not working as intended. Worst part is I went to iOS because of this issue 3 years ago. I thought at the time it was a bad bad firmware on a low end phone, the A71, but now it also happens on the flagship phone by Samsung?
I foiund some of these for you for Whatsapp

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS23Ultra/comments/15ise09

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I foiund some of these for you for Whatsapp

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS23Ultra/comments/15ise09
Thanks jamezr.

I did spend a lot of time years ago trying to fix this issue. Nothing worked. One day everything was fine and the other it happened constantly.

I just don't want to try to solve an issue that shouldn't be present in 2023 in a flagship phone. I'm getting old for this stuff

I do receive the messages. Just no sound, but it does vibrate. Other app notifications sound as they should. Can't understand how this is still happening or hasn't been fixed or what does it trigger it.

The phone hardware is just lovely. I want to keep the phone. Can't go back to 60hz screen and don't want to pay upwards of 1000€ for the iPhone 15 pro just to have promotion.

Might do a restore tomorrow and keep it simple. Maybe it's the personalized notifications for my girlfriend in WhatsApp. One of those articles suggest logging out of WhatsApp desktop. Excuse me? How is that a solution? Never had to do that on iOS.

I mean, iOS still has issues, like the overheating, so no OS is perfect. Also iOS 17 clearly seemed rushed to me, with bugs.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014

In terms of android file transfer, that never worked with my pixel 7 Pro but the smart switch mac app has a file browser that works with my s23plus

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
By the way guys. I'm selling my Galaxy Watch 6 Classic, black with a leather band for $275. Really good price compared to the original. One of the fun parts about switching, resale value sucks for Samsung! :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
By the way guys. I'm selling my Galaxy Watch 6 Classic, black with a leather band for $275. Really good price compared to the original. One of the fun parts about switching, resale value sucks for Samsung! :D
really does

on comparison site in UK my Z fold 5 is like £618 lol almost worth not selling might as well just trade in if you upgrade but even then samsung UK trade ins aren't great here. think you get like 650

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
really does

on comparison site in UK my Z fold 5 is like £618 lol almost worth not selling might as well just trade in if you upgrade but even then samsung UK trade ins aren't great here. think you get like 650
Apple is no deferent here's my IP14P trade-in going back today at just UKP550 and of course you get no bundled freebies with Apple so the real cost of ownership with case, screen protector etc and even paying to have enough Apple storage to back up your phone adds to the price/loss :(

20231021_105949.jpg

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Apple is no deferent here's my IP14P trade-in going back today at just UKP550 and of course you get no bundled freebies with Apple so the real cost of ownership with case, screen protector etc and even paying to have enough Apple storage to back up your phone adds to the price/loss :(

View attachment 2299479
apples trade ins are bad but generally you can get a massive amount on older iphones.

even the 14 pro max is going more than the Z fold 5 on all comparison sites here

Reactions: DeepIn2U

AeroSatan

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
NYC
Does anyone know if you can take screenshots on IOS that lets you grab more of the page thanks on the screen like scrolling down on Samsung to take a longer Screenshot? I have both the S23 U and the IP 15MP and I wish I could combine the two for the best overall phone ever made.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Does anyone know if you can take screenshots on IOS that lets you grab more of the page thanks on the screen like scrolling down on Samsung to take a longer Screenshot? I have both the S23 U and the IP 15MP and I wish I could combine the two for the best overall phone ever made.
That’s a really good feature from Samsung, I’ve not found it possible on iOS

Reactions: edubfromktown

Zea74

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Belgium
That’s a really good feature from Samsung, I’ve not found it possible on iOS
When taking a screenshot on iOS and then selecting it, I have below the icons at the top ‘screen’ (the default option) and something that would in English translate to ‘page filling’, the whole webpage you’re looking at in other words. It’ll create a long screenshot of the whole page. Is that what you want to do?

Reactions: DeepIn2U and yui4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.