Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
When taking a screenshot on iOS and then selecting it, I have below the icons at the top ‘screen’ (the default option) and something that would in English translate to ‘page filling’, the whole webpage you’re looking at in other words. It’ll create a long screenshot of the whole page. Is that what you want to do?
Bingo! It appears that is indeed it. Thanks

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Any users received the OneUI 6.0 update?
Just received it in Spain also.

Some good changes, others not so much. I can't disable the rubbish bin in apps like Gallery, for example, which I previously could.

But it has nice touches and I feel it's more modern and better for one handed use.

Also I liked better the stock blue color for the icons in the quick panel. Now it's white and I can't change it to be just like before.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011

Some good changes, others not so much. I can't disable the rubbish bin in apps like Gallery, for example, which I previously could.

But it has nice touches and I feel it's more modern and better for one handed use.

Also I liked better the stock blue color for the icons in the quick panel. Now it's white and I can't change it to be just like before.
No options in good lock?

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022

Just go to the palette change and select default colours. Blue is in there.

I’ve got to say the larger icons in 6x4 grid was a welcome change. I previously did not like how it made them smaller.

Having the default font very closely resemble Google Sans makes running the device as a Google phone that bit easier. Hacking in other fonts was previously a real pain.

It does beg the question though: if Samsung now see Google as the company to copy rather than Apple, does this mean iOS has fallen behind?

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I understand. It is kind of a hard line to tow. Keep it simple or feature rich. Hard to do both at the same time.

So I appreciate having two distinct approaches like Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel. I think they both offer a very refined version of each approach and each is really good to use because of the years of improvement. But most people either tend to value the "kitchen sink" or you value simplicity.

It is why I can't just have a Pixel or a Galaxy or just an iPhone.

I need to use two OS and alternate between them. I find that it keeps the hardware feeling fresh and I don't get bored of the OS. It is fun to see what features get released to each device.

I find it really hard to use just one device but if I had to it is hard to say. The s pen has really saved me a couple times when I needed to sign documents on the go. The s23 ultra has just been a terrific device from day one. I like all the extras. But I also hate duplicate apps, bloat, and unnecessary gimmicks which Samsung seems to excel in. The Pixel 7 Pro as it is now is a great phone but compared to the s23 ultra is just lacking in a few key areas. If the Pixel 8 pro can improve and hopefully eliminate the issues with the Pixel 7 Pro then it is possible it would be the "one".

As it stands now the s23 ultra is the king. And if you want you can at least tame the Samsung beast by using Nova launcher, turning off all the extra settings, using G-board, and a few other tweaks you can make your s23 ultra feel like a Pixel. But you can't ever make your Pixel feel like a Samsung?

To me Samsung has the best hardware but Google has the best software when you consider the extra AI features in a Pixel. It is those AI features along with the new hardware on the Pixel 8 Pro that could make it the stand out phone of the year. We will all know soon enough.
Nova Launcher has been great for me as I've migrated between Pixel (4a & 6), OnePlus (8 & 8T) and now Samsung S23+.

I'm curious to hear how Nova does with OneUI 6. I'm probably going to stick with 5.1 for a while.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002

everytime I look over at my iphone and think oh I should really move back, it's so easy... someone posts a hint to configure the s23u like that and I think ok wow yeah need to stick with it.

Worked a treat

I’ve got to say the larger icons in 6x4 grid was a welcome change. I previously did not like how it made them smaller.

6*4? mmm cant see that option

Having the default font very closely resemble Google Sans makes running the device as a Google phone that bit easier. Hacking in other fonts was previously a real pain.

It does beg the question though: if Samsung now see Google as the company to copy rather than Apple, does this mean iOS has fallen behind?

I'm sure in reality they're looking at every competitor.... adding satellite per apple etc. but IMHO yes this year iOS has fallen behind with marginal updates, buggy software etc. Marketing really is carrying apple at the mo IMHO

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sorry I'm skeptical because ...

even though all these tuber's stating its available.
example: SamMobile (16hrs ago)

nothing here in N. America as of yet.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Not yet available according to Samsungs Global site.

Car to post a full screenshot of the update prompt from 5.1 in Settings?
Also care to confirm this is NOT OneUI Update 7 (beta) please?

Well I can't post the update prompt since I already updated :/

I got a prompt saying it was the end of the beta programme, stable to be installed etc...

version number :
S918BXXU3BWJM

happy to be proven wrong of course but it's the stable release AFAIK

Reactions: DeepIn2U and jamezr

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I installed the stable one ui 6 on my UK unlocked s23+. Just before I reset it lol (switching back to pixel as I much prefer the camera and UI)

hockeyfan81

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
Who is your carrier?

I'm using US Mobile (MVNO) T-Mobile 5g and updates are rarely delayed more than a few days after release. No sign of 6.0 yet... I'm not in any hurry for that one.
I have an unlocked unit. Funny thing is my Fold 5 and Flip 5 are both updated to October patch two weeks ago.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Sorry I'm skeptical because ...

even though all these tuber's stating its available.
example: SamMobile (16hrs ago)

nothing here in N. America as of yet.
You know Samsung. The update goes by regions. At least that's they way I remember last time I had a Samsung.

I wasn't on the beta program. My phone is just 3 weeks old. The OneUI 6 update came with the October security patch.

Another nice touch is how notificacions are now separated, but also unified if there's for example two new emails.

The new font is the one that's selected by default? Or is it SamsungOne?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I tried but it's not the same blue as before. I can't get the same blue tone. Now it's more pale and I don't really like it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
No options in good lock?
Some apps from Goodlock still don't work.

I've always had the suspicious that Goodlock is responsible for some of my issues, like maybe some of my WhatsApp messages not sounding when they arrive? Don't know.

In the coming weeks I'll do a factory reset to test the phone without Goodlock and see if the issue persists or not.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Also, now it's more difficult to see the screen on time, because it shows by day and not by last charge, like before, which to me is more accurate.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Some apps from Goodlock still don't work.

I've always had the suspicious that Goodlock is responsible for some of my issues, like maybe some of my WhatsApp messages not sounding when they arrive? Don't know.

In the coming weeks I'll do a factory reset to test the phone without Goodlock and see if the issue persists or not.

yeah this is now my last real remaining complaint. I know everyone loves android notifications but I still find them a bit flaky v ios. I still often seem to get nothing on certain apps from time to time but very inconsistent so hard to track down.

I too have goodlock installed so yeah good idea to try without I guess

Reactions: Sensamic

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
After a month owning the S23+ I'm very happy with it. It's very close to being a perfect phone.

There are some very nice tricks, like mirroring the phone to the tv to watch soccer and still being able to use the phone for other stuff while the game plays in the background. Couldn't do this before in my iPhone 15.

There are SO many ways to customize the experience. I've got the long press power button to do screenshots, for example, and sleep mode activates and deactivates every day (maybe iOS can do this also but I did it manually back then).

I really like the build quality with the matte back and aluminum frame, making the phone lighter despite its size. I love being able to drop down the notification panel with a gesture on such a big phone. Notifications are improved in OneUI 6, there are some new cool and useful widgets, there's a lot of versatility in the camera app, etc.

I definitely can't go back to less than 120hz now. I hate how overprice iPhone has become. Can't get 120hz and good battery life unless you pay almost 1400€ here in Spain. It's a complete scam. You get SO much value in Android hardware wise, and with Samsung nice software too, but not perfect.

It's those little software issues that prevent this phone from being perfect. Like my issues with WhatsApp or Android File Transfer not working, how difficult it is to share files with my Mac and viceversa, so many complex settings, etc.

Now, with the new update, I can't see anymore the screen on time since last charge, which to me is the best way to test my battery life. I liked better the blue stock color of the icons in the notification panel (and even using the personalisation options I can't get it quite the same as before). Android definitely consumes more battery life than it should.

It's weird that the phone didn't come with even an USB-C cable. Can't seem to find one with USB 3.0 speeds for better transfer speeds with my Mac. Samsung should invest more in making good software for Mac to backup and transfer files with their phones.

Overall I'm very happy. I need a change from iOS. The S23+ feels like supersonic speed compared to my previous iPhone 15 thanks to the super fast animations and 120hz screen.

Although I dislike the extreme oversharpening in the photos. Any way to make them look more natural? It's really annoying. I liked better my iPhone 12 and 15 photos, much much more natural.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.