Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
After a month owning the S23+ I'm very happy with it. It's very close to being a perfect phone.

There are some very nice tricks, like mirroring the phone to the tv to watch soccer and still being able to use the phone for other stuff while the game plays in the background. Couldn't do this before in my iPhone 15.

There are SO many ways to customize the experience. I've got the long press power button to do screenshots, for example, and sleep mode activates and deactivates every day (maybe iOS can do this also but I did it manually back then).

I really like the build quality with the matte back and aluminum frame, making the phone lighter despite its size. I love being able to drop down the notification panel with a gesture on such a big phone. Notifications are improved in OneUI 6, there are some new cool and useful widgets, there's a lot of versatility in the camera app, etc.

I definitely can't go back to less than 120hz now. I hate how overprice iPhone has become. Can't get 120hz and good battery life unless you pay almost 1400€ here in Spain. It's a complete scam. You get SO much value in Android hardware wise, and with Samsung nice software too, but not perfect.

It's those little software issues that prevent this phone from being perfect. Like my issues with WhatsApp or Android File Transfer not working, how difficult it is to share files with my Mac and viceversa, so many complex settings, etc.

Now, with the new update, I can't see anymore the screen on time since last charge, which to me is the best way to test my battery life. I liked better the blue stock color of the icons in the notification panel (and even using the personalisation options I can't get it quite the same as before). Android definitely consumes more battery life than it should.

It's weird that the phone didn't come with even an USB-C cable. Can't seem to find one with USB 3.0 speeds for better transfer speeds with my Mac. Samsung should invest more in making good software for Mac to backup and transfer files with their phones.

Overall I'm very happy. I need a change from iOS. The S23+ feels like supersonic speed compared to my previous iPhone 15 thanks to the super fast animations and 120hz screen.

Although I dislike the extreme oversharpening in the photos. Any way to make them look more natural? It's really annoying. I liked better my iPhone 12 and 15 photos, much much more natural.

Check the bottom of your S23+ box... the USB-C cable was tucked under there in a small compartment/box with mine.

I'm just shy of 1 month with this mobile and have had a similar positive experience. Upgraded from OnePlus 8T Android 13 mobile (dumped iPhone 8Plus and went to Pixel 4a as my first "switch" back a few years ago).

I really like the Secure Folder concept and have installed all of my data-sensitive applications in there.

Forget about Android File Transfer... "Nearby Share" (Near Drop) is an open source version of Apple's proprietary utility that works flawlessly for transferring files from an Android phone (or Chromebook) to a Mac. I use Google Keep for everything else (and began syncing "Apple" contacts to Google long before I ditched iPhones).

Use the Expert RAW photo app (placed the app icon just above the stock camera app) for less over-baked photos.

Last edited:

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I guess everyone's here waiting for the update android 14 which is anytime soon I guess
I'm not planning on installing it for a while though curious when general availability becomes reality on an unlocked US S23+ purchased direct from them.

Can't think of a more disjointed and region dependent software/firmware release "schedule" of any product in 35+ years of working in the IT industry.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Reactions: The Game 161

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm not planning on installing it for a while though curious when general availability becomes reality on an unlocked US S23+ purchased direct from them.

Can't think of a more disjointed and region dependent software/firmware release "schedule" of any product in 35+ years of working in the IT industry.
After all the hype I think I'm with you on delaying for about 2wks after it's finally pushed in the country I live in. After Android 12L messing with Andronix (well years before I finally switched, I'm still feeling the pinches/pain) ... I'm not so certain everything under the OneUI6 UX is going to be welcomed or appreciated.

Example:
OneUI 5.1 & Android 13.
- I couldn't figure out why Bixby wasn't working.
- I installed Google Assistant - BAD mistake.
- created a 1x1 stack of Google Search & Microsoft Edge Search (another bad idea).
^ seemed good thinking at the time (Didn't want Edge taking over as default browser just to get BingChatGPT but it did WITHOUT clearly stating so. SO Edge was removed).

Results:
Google Assistant is constantly listening EVEN after I've uninstalled it and rebooted my S23!
Swiping from bottom L/R corners seems to activate Google Assistant.
I do NOT see Google Assistant in my Apps so what gives!? I want the Assistant GONE 4EVER!
Typing shows a white underline on various words, no rhyme or reason to which/why, and ALL words underlined with white line are spelled CORRECTLY! Grrrrr. This is on-top of using and before I even begin to use Grammarly in Samsung Keyboard. I don't know WHAT is causing this as it wasn't there for 3wks. No other apps have been installed.
* figured out Bixby had to be fully enabled in all kinds of sub-settings. I really wished Samsung didn't abandon the Bixby name and just rewritten it from scratch - but honestly I'll not be missing anything about it since I cannot use it at all to control ANYTHING not even announce the time with/wihout Buds2Pro's in.
Hey Bixby what's the time?
Hi Bixy What's the time?
What's the time?
(yes I have the key word requirement disabled).
^ each command returns the classic response (crickets/silence. After watching Michael Fassbender's I Killer on Netflix I'm beginning to mentally input his narrative thoughts anything I forgot about and try to use Bixby only to realize it doesn't work).
Why do I wish Samsung didn't go with the new AI branding? Synergistic in the minds of the users, and IT community as a whole. abandoning the old seems to show they've given up, and presets a minor thought after a honeymoon phase of relief any NEW issues that rear their head in Samsung AI for longer than week, a user may think 'are they going to give up and abandon difficult issues with this as well? hmmm.

Does anyone know HOW to reset Samsung Keyboard with the Grammarly default back to factory? I'm hoping this will eliminate the white underline of correct words i've typed, which I suspect is either a hidden Google Assistant fragment/service or ChatGPT+Edge.

I'd REALLY love for Google to learn just 1 simple and system wide thing from Apple BEFORE coming up with ANYOTHER THING and impose this on developers:
1. NO Application shall make changes to the system without explicitly and CLEARLY informing the user of any and ALL changes - NOT just prompts what the App will do to the top 5 things used by all users (Calls, Text, Camera, Microphone, Pictures & other media)!
2. Enforce ALL Google apps INCLUDING Google Services and Google Assistant NOT to impose primary use and presence onto the user without explicitly asking permission AND allowing the end user to REMOVE/DISABLE permanently. (maybe not Google services BUT it should still respect the user).
3. All applications 2nd/3rd party should NO LONGER impose rights to the device/system/user data or else not function.
^ example: Samsung Email Permissions:
Allowed:
Calendar,
Contacts,
Music and Audio,
Notifications,
Photos & Videos
* I HAD to enable this permissions in order USE and OPEN this app before I could even configure an email account into it. Now, let's consider nobody has recorded a meaningful video under 20MB and tried to send to a corporate mailbox. Whom sends a large video via email anyway - so why DOES it HAVE to be a necessary requirement for Email to work? Nor should Pictures, music and audio file access. Far too many apps want access to crap it shouldn't NEED nor require - and the USER should revoke without punishment of using a FREE application.

When someone needs to question security of an OS in this era ... first look at the OS' permissions setup for Apps vs the User, and then look at WHY apps require access to data it doesn't need to function, then look deeper into the code of apps and see what partnerships/deeds its siphoning off to 4th party actors and what analytics it does. Google being what they are most likely will never change this. One could hope.

/sorry rant off.

Yeah, it's region depended. Those outside of US already received it... and now today reports that OneUI 6.0 has been pushed out.

Except for those of us in Canada ... still no OneUI 6 yet.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
Got the final version here in USA question i need to enroll from the beta program in members app?
d7a0cb2854f20af85965d8ed35a8f28f.jpg

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
Something is off with One UI 6.0, I use Good Lock but now parts of Good Lock don't work /or gone. For example vertical scroll, is missing. You might want to hold off on One UI 6. If I am missing something or you have a fix, please let me know.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Something is off with One UI 6.0, I use Good Lock but now parts of Good Lock don't work /or gone. For example vertical scroll, is missing. You might want to hold off on One UI 6. If I am missing something or you have a fix, please let me know.
I'm going off past experiences and Good Lock is usually behind any UI updates for full functionality

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Still no 5.1 November security update or 6.0 showing up in the US for my unlocked s23+.

That is some kooky new release and delayed update processes they've got there eh?
It’s probably something up with the carrier… that’s what really dictates whether we get a security update or not.

Unlike Apple, Samsung is at the mercy of the carrier and I wish that wasn’t the case.

Reactions: jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Still no 5.1 November security update or 6.0 showing up in the US for my unlocked s23+.

That is some kooky new release and delayed update processes they've got there eh?
Nothing here either for my s23 unlocked on temporary sim, Verizon network.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
OneUI 6 update just appeared for my unlocked S23+ (Version S916U1UEU1BWK4/S916U1OYM1BWK4)

Not going there yet and sure hope the 5.1 November security update is soon to follow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.