Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I've got the 15pm, s23u, pixel8pro sitting in front of me and because they all have their pros and cons, but early impressions so far, no I wouldn't.

iphone 15pm does everything I need. Boring though, nothing to really play with. Kinda the safe bet.

s23u, well lacks imessage, secure face id, diff notifications. Beeper just about fixes imessage, I can use fingerprint instead of face so no problem, notifications still eurg but 3rd party stuff helps. On the flip side, LOVE the camera and the 10x zoom. Love the level of customisation even down to menu changes and adding filters to the camera app. Love samsung gallery and all the options to edit photos. Spen when I need it is a life saver.

Pixel 8 pro. Iphone of the android world? less customisation than the s23u, feels slower to me and gets warmer faster. AI tricks seem to take ages to execute, I got bored with them quickly. Notifications perfect, wish samsung would offer me that default android behaviour. Camera (if I forget the samsung extras) really great. I've seen so many reviews where they manage to find cases where the pixel doesn't perform well but personal experience has been really good in all the shots I've taken. It's the most "DSLR" like performer out of the three phones to me personally. Oh and the secure face unlock is every bit as good as the iphone (for me) and allows all my banking apps to work so well done google.

I mean all three phones are brilliant IMHO.. lucky to own any of them and really once we have one we should stop looking ;-) but you know how it goes.

I just feel like if I kept the p8pro as my daily driver I'd be wishing I had brought the s23u to mess with this or that
What problem do you have with notifications on Samsung phones?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I understand that’s been the stance with Samsung… “throw the kitchen sink at you“ approach. But I think it’s more nuance than that.

Samsung gives us options, it’s on the user to decide whether or not they want to improve upon their phone. Some decide to use the S-Pen, others don’t. Even with GoodLock, I don’t take advantage of the entire module... I pick and choose to see what works for me.

It’s the idea that these features are available for the user, if they don’t care to use it... then don’t and keep it simple.

I fully agree with Samsung Galaxy S & Z series and their software = they give users choices!

Personally, regarding the duplicate applications, it's not overly done like it was some 5-10yrs ago. I'm finding using Smasung Messges & Email, just a more cleaner layout and better navigation than Google's Messages, and especially with Microsft's own Outlook for mobile applications.

Samsung Internet is very comparable as a full browser to Safari (missing some features of course). Google's Chrome browser on mobile is atrocious but it's ease of use has me using it as primary - specifically the Password Manager that's built in. Sure Samsung Pass is a password manager yet in restoring that data is gone (form what I can tell), and for desktop OS sync I need Chrome. There is thr oddity of not being able to use Chrome's saved password within Samsung Internet browser, if they can fix that and allow multiple desktop password access and cross sync then it would be my primary. All migrated Bokkmakrs and Favorites form iPhone migration are in Samsung browser - very helpful for courses when I'm in Dex mode.

As an update 15 pro is going back...
Yeah! Will you be coming back to the Galaxy S series? The lowest S23 is comparable and competes with the iPhone Pro model - has ProRAW and ProRes video something I did not know when I migrated in August initially.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
What problem do you have with notifications on Samsung phones?

oh ignore me. I've been on about it since the start of this thread ;-) my phone is usually sitting by me in always on display mode, as a notification comes in, the iphone & pixel both display the notification with preview of the content. Stays there on the iphone, disappears after a few seconds on the pixel. Both work for me as I just glance at it and think ok no need to look, or argh yeah pick up phone and react.

On the samsung by default on the always on display, I just seem to get an app icon.

There may well be a setting I've messed up but I've reset the phone a few times and it always seems the same.

None of my samsung owning friends care, so I get that it's just me ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: yui4

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
oh ignore me. I've been on about it since the start of this thread ;-) my phone is usually sitting by me in always on display mode, as a notification comes in, the iphone & pixel both display the notification with preview of the content. Stays there on the iphone, disappears after a few seconds on the pixel. Both work for me as I just glance at it and think ok no need to look, or argh yeah pick up phone and react.

On the samsung by default on the always on display, I just seem to get an app icon.

There may well be a setting I've messed up but I've reset the phone a few times and it always seems the same.

None of my samsung owning friends care, so I get that it's just me ;-)

Oh I see. Yeah I agree. One thing I love about iOS is that every notification turns on the screen. On my previous A71 the screen never turned on when notifications arrived, only made the sound. I find more convenient the iOS way.

Is it the same on the pixel? Didn’t know.

Reactions: keithop

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Oh I see. Yeah I agree. One thing I love about iOS is that every notification turns on the screen. On my previous A71 the screen never turned on when notifications arrived, only made the sound. I find more convenient the iOS way.

Is it the same on the pixel? Didn’t know.

yeah seemingly out of the box the pixel displays a preview of the notification for a few seconds even on the AOD.

It could well be some setting Im missing on the s23...

..but all three phones sitting here, the iphone wakes up and shows the notification and it's still there on the AOD.
The pixel shows a notification bubble preview on the AOD for a few seconds.
The s23u just adds an app icon to the AOD

Ask me which phone I pick up most though? s23u because although it has niggles I don't love, it has the most options and scope to play.

Reactions: Ludatyk and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
yeah seemingly out of the box the pixel displays a preview of the notification for a few seconds even on the AOD.

It could well be some setting Im missing on the s23...

..but all three phones sitting here, the iphone wakes up and shows the notification and it's still there on the AOD.
The pixel shows a notification bubble preview on the AOD for a few seconds.
The s23u just adds an app icon to the AOD

Ask me which phone I pick up most though? s23u because although it has niggles I don't love, it has the most options and scope to play.
I have the S23U and P8P and 15PM and for all around functionality the S23U wins hands down. It is just just a multi function device imho.
I am looking forward to a flat display s24U and hopefully better FaceUnlock similar to the 15PM and P8P

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I fully agree with Samsung Galaxy S & Z series and their software = they give users choices!

Personally, regarding the duplicate applications, it's not overly done like it was some 5-10yrs ago. I'm finding using Smasung Messges & Email, just a more cleaner layout and better navigation than Google's Messages, and especially with Microsft's own Outlook for mobile applications.

Samsung Internet is very comparable as a full browser to Safari (missing some features of course). Google's Chrome browser on mobile is atrocious but it's ease of use has me using it as primary - specifically the Password Manager that's built in. Sure Samsung Pass is a password manager yet in restoring that data is gone (form what I can tell), and for desktop OS sync I need Chrome. There is thr oddity of not being able to use Chrome's saved password within Samsung Internet browser, if they can fix that and allow multiple desktop password access and cross sync then it would be my primary. All migrated Bokkmakrs and Favorites form iPhone migration are in Samsung browser - very helpful for courses when I'm in Dex mode.

Yeah! Will you be coming back to the Galaxy S series? The lowest S23 is comparable and competes with the iPhone Pro model - has ProRAW and ProRes video something I did not know when I migrated in August initially.
I kept my s23 plus so I am using that. Being in the UK no one uses imessage and been 2 years since I used facetime I think as WhatsApp has everything covered.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I kept my s23 plus so I am using that. Being in the UK no one uses imessage and been 2 years since I used facetime I think as WhatsApp has everything covered.
Yep. Even a lot of businesses use WhatsApp in the uk. Can’t remember the last time I had a conversation with any of my friends / family in any other messaging app other than WhatsApp.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yep. Even a lot of businesses use WhatsApp in the uk. Can’t remember the last time I had a conversation with any of my friends / family in any other messaging app other than WhatsApp.
LOL

I landed at Heathrow last week and had to send an SMS (1st time in about 2 years) to the Taxi I ordered.

Bad news was my E Sim was stuck in my IP14p and I forgot how bad the stock app and KB was. I was through customs etc so quick I wanted to check the times of the SMS so I could get a few smokes in after an 18 hour flight before a 90 min drive to Brighton and the taxi driver only pays for 60 mins parking

Trouble was I could not remember how to view the SMS delivery times ( double finger swipe from the right that obscure the results if your right handed) really poor implementation IMO on stock Apple apps :rolleyes:

Else yes WhatsApp so dominate internationally except a few places like Thailand that favor Line.

Now swapped my O2 sim back to physical and shoved it in to my dual tray on my Fold 5

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Double swipe? In ios it's 1 swipe to the right the select all messages, you probably set it to known contacts. Still when an unknown none save person messges you and you reply aplle seems to think that a known contact lol. It's garbage. Heck they don't have a proper way of blocking a number just that you're no longer alerted gia cals or texts but if it's an imessge they can still rech you.

I already began to itice spam imessges to my number before I left ios and number was shared to numbers I don't recognize!

Blocked them all on Galaxy.

Reactions: SteveJUAE and yui4

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Picked up my S23U this morning and used it as my go to device today. I haven't used it much because of the new kids on the block the 15PM and P8P.
Wow...I forgot just how awesome this phone is! I was reminded why IMHO it is the Android phone of the year.
It consumes and excels at anything I throw at it.
To me this is the perfect size smartphone. I am excited fore the S24U with the rumored flat display

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
Anyone jumped to pixel 8 pro? I have s23u and i want to try 8 pro
I did.

I've had the S23U since March and wanted to try out the Pixel, so I pre-ordered the Pixel 8 Pro. I also got the Pixel Watch 2 for free for pre-ordering. I got the phone last Friday, but just set up the watch yesterday, which will be replacing my Galaxy Watch 5 pro. The jury is still out on the watch, but so far with the little I played with the watch, it isn't as nice as the GW5 Pro. The main thing that gets me is that it's so small.

So far I am really liking the phone. but to be honest, day to day stuff isn't really any different between the two, its just nice to have a new toy to play with. :)

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
I did.

I've had the S23U since March and wanted to try out the Pixel, so I pre-ordered the Pixel 8 Pro. I also got the Pixel Watch 2 for free for pre-ordering. I got the phone last Friday, but just set up the watch yesterday, which will be replacing my Galaxy Watch 5 pro. The jury is still out on the watch, but so far with the little I played with the watch, it isn't as nice as the GW5 Pro. The main thing that gets me is that it's so small.

So far I am really liking the phone. but to be honest, day to day stuff isn't really any different between the two, its just nice to have a new toy to play with. :)
You keep the s23u or sold it? I will wait a few days to make a decision

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I did.

Personally I'm going to wait for the S24 Ultra and see what they have improved vs the S23 Ultra. The only thing I can think of is camera and battery, those are two things that constantly get updated on phones (especially the camera). The only thing that bothers me is if Samsung bring Exynos back to the UK in the Ultra. If so that will be a hard no for me.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Anyone jumped to pixel 8 pro? I have s23u and i want to try 8 pro
I have the S23U and P8P and 15PM. I like the P8P and it is a step above the P7P IMHO. But if I could only have one between the S23U and P8P. My choice would be the S23U all day long.

The display is better the sound is better and the battery is better.
P8P wins on FaceUnlock! I hope Samsung will have something similar on the S24U next year.

Then I think the cameras are really really close to be honest.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I have the S23U and P8P and 15PM. I like the P8P and it is a step above the P7P IMHO. But if I could only have one between the S23U and P8P. My choice would be the S23U all day long.

The display is better the sound is better and the battery is better.
P8P wins on FaceUnlock! I hope Samsung will have something similar on the S24U next year.

Then I think the cameras are really really close to be honest.

yep that's my feeling too.

faceunlock is excellent on p8p though... surprisingly good in fact. Really do hope S24U can match that

Reactions: Bkdodger and jamezr

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
They really did great with the Face unlock on the Pixel ..I'm very surprised...one thing I like about it over the S23 is hold in hand ..not that I hated the S23U just that I like the sleek design of the Pixel..

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Question,

I have a iPhone 13 Pro that I recently scratched the screen on so I am looking to upgrade earlier than planned. I have been eyeing the S23 and really like the device. Should I grab one now or wait until S24? From what I have read the S24 won't be that big of a difference. I am not interested in the Ultra, it is just way too big and square. I love how small and lightweight the S23 is. I have used iOS primarily for years but always dabbled with Android on the side, but now I am thinking about switching to Android long term. I am just annoying with a lot of Apple's decisions lately and design choices. I don't even use Mac anymore. I am firmly back to my custom built PC's with Windows 11. I find it much snappier and more effecient to get things done nowadays than macOS, but that is another story.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Question,

I have a iPhone 13 Pro that I recently scratched the screen on so I am looking to upgrade earlier than planned. I have been eyeing the S23 and really like the device. Should I grab one now or wait until S24? From what I have read the S24 won't be that big of a difference. I am not interested in the Ultra, it is just way too big and square. I love how small and lightweight the S23 is. I have used iOS primarily for years but always dabbled with Android on the side, but now I am thinking about switching to Android long term. I am just annoying with a lot of Apple's decisions lately and design choices. I don't even use Mac anymore. I am firmly back to my custom built PC's with Windows 11. I find it much snappier and more effecient to get things done nowadays than macOS, but that is another story.

I think many of us are feeling the same way this year.

Only you can answer if you need to upgrade immediately or if you can afford to wait until jan/feb. My personal preference would be to hold off till jan/feb. It's not that long and you'll benefit from the device having another year of support as well as the latest/greatest features and offers on pre-orders etc.

If the device when it comes out doesn't feel like a huge leap, you'll be able to get this years model at really large discounts so it's a win win really.

Or you could be so itchy for something new that you have to get it now in which case cool :) but you know you're going to be eyeing up that S24......

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Question,

If you can get a good deal on the s23, I’d get it now. Still a few months before s24 launches. If you decide you want to upgrade when it releases, you could get a decent trade in price from Samsung for your s23 against the price of the s24

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
For me, hearing that the S24 Ultra was going to do away with the 10x Optical Lens really took away the mystique of owning a Samsung phone. Part of the reason I loved the S23 Ultra was because of that differentiator. I'm sure their 5x will be good, but Apple 5x is good too.

Reactions: jamezr and keithop

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
For me, hearing that the S24 Ultra was going to do away with the 10x Optical Lens really took away the mystique of owning a Samsung phone. Part of the reason I loved the S23 Ultra was because of that differentiator. I'm sure their 5x will be good, but Apple 5x is good too.

yeah I'm still doubtful about that. I can't see them losing that differentiator

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.