Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
I know I’ve said this before, but I really love this phone.
I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do, as my original Flip (whilst really cool) became a bit tiresome after i used it for a week or two. It’s been over a month with the Flip 3 now and it literally does everything that I need a phone to do but it also includes the fact that it folds shut into a pocketable and very cool design.

I really want a Pixel 6 Pro, and can’t afford to run two phones so will end up making a call on it when we get more Pixel info. The sensible thing would be to keep the Flip until the Pixel gets a price drop (if that even happens) but I know that I will get caught up in the hype and want one for launch.

I almost wish that this phone came out in the Spring, as I’d still have it now as nothing else has piqued my interest since.

The only complaint I have is the battery life. Which I won’t dwell on as we all know the drill with that now. But yeah. I think this is quickly becoming one of my favourite devices!

I'm keeping an eye on that Pixel 6 Pro as well... but tbh I don't know about me wanting to carry a slab again... If I jump aboard the Pixel train one of the Folds will have to go and I can't see me parting ways... Haha
Fold 3 is a joy to use and I'm so into this foldable.. And this one compliments it well for swapping on days... I've been using this one exclusively to break in and very happy with everything I've thrown at it...

I know exactly how both of you feel, I've actually stopped using my Note 10+ around the house. In my case, I know for sure I can't go back to slabs. I'm so used to folding, that I tried to fold my Note 10+ out of habit. And that's just it, having a slab become a compact phone when you need one, is exactly what this phone is about. I didn't realize how much I'd appreciate that, until I've experienced it. My routine is now to leave the phone open on my desk during work, or anytime I'm sitting around and expecting to be in long messaging exchange, but once I'm on the go, I close the phone and off I go. Couldn't be any more convenient than that. I'm already looking forward to the Flip 4.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Battery life at the end of a typical day for me. Totally good with this. I keep my brightness at 60% at all times, but switch to auto when I'm outside. I also have AOD set to tap.

Screenshot_20211005-153459_Device care.jpg

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yup, definitely not an all day battery, so for people using one phone, a top up, will be necessary at some point in the day. Personally, I'm good with that. Regardless of battery performance, I'm always juicing my phones throughout the day anyway. If I'm at my desk, it's on a wireless charger, if I'm in the car, it's plugged in, so battery was/is never an issue for me, for any phone. That being said, bigger battery is always welcome, but not at the cost of the phone getting too big/heavy. This phone is so compact, they have some wiggle room to increase the size, and still be a compact and convenient size. The other reason battery is not an issue for me, I use two phones anyway. I kept my Note 10+, and it's been delegated strictly for media consumption while at home, and the Flip 3 is used for everything else (messaging, emailing, calls, music, etc). When I'm out, it's only the Flip 3.
yeah same with me my 2020 Santa Fe has a wireless charger in it

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
I've posted a tip on how to improve battery life in the main chat, as the tip works on any Samsung device, not just the Flip 3. It's worth making those changes in your settings, it 100% works. Battery life is no longer an issue for me at all.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I've posted a tip on how to improve battery life in the main chat, as the tip works on any Samsung device, not just the Flip 3. It's worth making those changes in your settings, it 100% works. Battery life is no longer an issue for me at all.
Which chat?

Nvm I see it

Reactions: Zito Abroad

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Which chat?

Nvm I see it
So the only difference I notice with screen off it won't open with fingerprint which makes sense... I will give it a try and gauge... I had adaptive always set to on

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
So the only difference I notice with screen off it won't open with fingerprint which makes sense... I will give it a try and gauge... I had adaptive always set to on
Just checking, are you referring to Adaptive battery or Adaptive power? Most people turn on Adaptive battery, but don't know there's an Adaptive power saving setting as well. The suggestion in my tip is referring to Adaptive power saving. That being said, I have them both on with no hit to performance.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Just checking, are you referring to Adaptive battery or Adaptive power? Most people turn on Adaptive battery, but don't know there's an Adaptive power saving setting as well. The suggestion in my tip is referring to Adaptive power saving. That being said, I have them both on with no hit to performance.

Gotcha ..I agree both are on for me …

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
October security update just hit... US unlocked here
Quick question. Did you get the Ram Plus feature with your update? That's the feature where you get an additional 4GB of virtual RAM from the internal storage. Very cool.

You can check by going into battery and device care, then tap on memory. That's where you'll see RAM Plus, if you have the feature.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Quick question. Did you get the Ram Plus feature with your update? That's the feature where you get an additional 4GB of virtual RAM from the internal storage. Very cool.

You can check by going into battery and device care, then tap on memory. That's where you'll see RAM Plus, if you have the feature.
Oh yes I do have it on my unlocked phone with update... Good to see added feature

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I've been stuck in the Apple ecosystem for years, getting a new iPhone every year since the original iPhone. But the phones were getting too large and heavy. Since I've never had an Android phone I was hesitant. Was waiting for Apple to come out with their own flip phone. I couldn't resist the new Flip3. Well this phone is terrific. Perfect for me. Battery lasts me all day. No issue there. The camera is just fine. I have high end photo equipment if I need it. Switching to Android was not difficult. It gave me an opportunity to clean up my personal data so that I am less reliant on Apple which is a good thing. Switching systems will be much easier now. If Apple comes out with a flip maybe I will move to it, otherwise I'll go for the flip4. :)

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Apparently the upcoming Samsung event is due to see more colours for the Z Flip 3!
Not sure how I feel about that having only been out two months! But I think it's selling so well they want to offer it in more colour choices maybe?

Just a rumour at present, but the image used for the event suggests a yellow (I want) a light pink, and a blue. Along with a black and white although pink black and white are all available as smasung exclusive already.

So who knows!

Samsung-Galaxy-Unpacked-2021-Part-2-October-20-Event-Invite-768x432.jpg

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So looks like the event has been and gone and the Z Flip 3 now has a ‘Bespoke Edition’.
You can choose to mix and match the front and back glass plate with 5 different colours. Pink, blue, yellow, white or black and you can also customise the frame. Either silver or black.

I would LOVE a yellow Z Flip 3 with silver rails, but they are only offering this on the 256gb model so over £1000, and it’s a 5-6 week wait time.
Just doesn’t really seem worth it to me but good for those who have been considering one and hadn’t jumped in yet!

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
One thing to note, all the color options are matte finishes. I've got the Samsung exclusive white, and is a matte finish. It's perfect for avoiding fingerprints. So good decision on Samsung to go all matte. I really hope they have these customizing options at launch of the Flip 4.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
One thing to note, all the color options are matte finishes. I've got the Samsung exclusive white, and is a matte finish. It's perfect for avoiding fingerprints. So good decision on Samsung to go all matte. I really hope they have these customizing options at launch of the Flip 4.
Customizing options always come later as a way to revitalize a product after the initial surge. I have no patience and can never wait for that...

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
I didn't think I'd ever want another black phone, but I went to Samsung's website and tried a few colors, and it's gonna be a hard choice between white and black for me, if this customizing is available for the Flip 4. Here's hoping they also let you choose a separate hinge color, like they initially did with the Fold 1. A red hinge with either the black or white would be a done deal for me. I completely have put away the cases now. I'm enjoying the sleek ultra modern feel of the phone, and a case just interrupts that feeling for me. So having custom color options is a big plus for me.

Screenshot_20211020-225742_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211020-225828_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211020-225918_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211020-230003_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cycom and Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I didn't think I'd ever want another black phone, but I went to Samsung's website and tried a few colors, and it's gonna be a hard choice between white and black for me, if this customizing is available for the Flip 4. Here's hoping they also let you choose a separate hinge color, like they initially did with the Fold 1. A red hinge with either the black or white would be a done deal for me. I completely have put away the cases now. I'm enjoying the sleek ultra modern feel of the phone, and a case just interrupts that feeling for me. So having custom color options is a big plus for me.

View attachment 1873142 View attachment 1873143 View attachment 1873144 View attachment 1873145
Damn looking good...

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My Pixel 6 Pro is due to arrive on Thursday. So I'm enjoying my last few days with the Z Flip 3!
Unless the Pixel ends up being terrible, I'll likely sell the Flip to recoup funds for the Pixel.

I said it in a post before, but I so wish this one came out in April as I'd have had longer with it. I still absolutely love the phone. It's one of my favourite devices I've ever used and really, the Pixel is going to need to be amazing for me to want to give this up.
Thankfully I've used every Pixel since launch (5 aside) and loved them despite the bugs, so I think I'll enjoy my 6. But this Flip has been just a joy to use from day one.

I'm going to keep hold of it throughout my return period of the 6 and make a decision. Who knows, the Pixel may not end up wowing me as much as I hope and I keep my Flip!

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
My Pixel 6 Pro is due to arrive on Thursday. So I'm enjoying my last few days with the Z Flip 3!
Unless the Pixel ends up being terrible, I'll likely sell the Flip to recoup funds for the Pixel.

I said it in a post before, but I so wish this one came out in April as I'd have had longer with it. I still absolutely love the phone. It's one of my favourite devices I've ever used and really, the Pixel is going to need to be amazing for me to want to give this up.
Thankfully I've used every Pixel since launch (5 aside) and loved them despite the bugs, so I think I'll enjoy my 6. But this Flip has been just a joy to use from day one.

I'm going to keep hold of it throughout my return period of the 6 and make a decision. Who knows, the Pixel may not end up wowing me as much as I hope and I keep my Flip!
I agree with you I wish I could have spent longer time with it. I just sold mine and decided to go with Pixel Pro and my Z Fold 3 as my two phones... Truly great phone with quality build and joy to use in the short time...

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
I would love to get the Z Flip 3 but I want the closed half to be a full screen. Where I could answer texts, etc. Maybe the 4.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
I would love to get the Z Flip 3 but I want the closed half to be a full screen. Where I could answer texts, etc. Maybe the 4.

If you're on the fence, definitely wait for the 4. I'm still very much enjoying my Flip 3. I don't ever see myself going back to a slab. Now the only question is do I get both the Fold 4 and Flip 4? I was originally planning on getting the Fold 3, but something about the Flip just feels right for my needs. The compactness is something I just don't want to give up. At the same time, I'm enjoying the folding form factor so much, that I also want to give the Fold 4 a possible go, while still having the Flip 4. Next year should be fun.

Last edited:

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
So, I've sold my Flip3. I have two major reasons why I sold it, firstly was the battery life. When I use a phone, I don't necessarily like the idea of disabling features that I'd otherwise use in order to save battery life. For example, if I want to use the 120Hz display and the AOD, I'm using them. I could never comfortably make it through a day on a charge (I felt tied to a charger, charging whenever I had a chance) alongside the fact that the charging was really slow, it was aggravating. Secondly, camera. I'm in by no means a photographer but I appreciate a good camera. I felt it was harder to get a shot I was happy with out of the Flip.

Android wasn't a negative, either. I only full time switched to the iPhone with the 11 Pro. I realized how much I missed the customization of Android when I jumped back into it. One UI is very full featured and although I felt I disabled or didn't use 90% of the features, I appreciated it.

Negativity aside, what a FUN phone the Z Flip3 was. It brought me back to the early days of Android and when HTC was in it's prime. I loved the foldable form factor. I loved the fact it was so compact. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Flip4 when it's released in a year or so. Samsung, you did good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.