Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
A bigger cover screen would help with managing notifications (It's a small area to swipe around in at the moment, but not a deal breaker) and having a larger preview image for taking photos using a timer (which I do) and for selfies (which I don't). I'm sure others can think of more things, but those are my two uses. Having said that, I'm not complaining about the current cover screen. My thinking is more along the lines of, "If I could change/enhance this, I would."
Ah, I can understand that. Thank you.

Reactions: TechRunner

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Darn, I recently was able to trade my 13PM to Verizon straight up for Z Flip 4, so installments are totally credited. And Android 13 finally showed up today! Install took all of lunch, so have to try it out some on break.
My husband has some serious loathing for how our carrier keeps messing up our account stuff. He keeps having to take sometimes hours with customer service to fix things. He prefers we buy unlocked and leave the carrier out of everything as much as possible.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
My husband has some serious loathing for how our carrier keeps messing up our account stuff. He keeps having to take sometimes hours with customer service to fix things. He prefers we buy unlocked and leave the carrier out of everything as much as possible.
We came to that decision too. It eliminates much of the game playing by carriers!

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Only issue we really had with them is previous trades would be stuck, and we had to contact them. Then it would stilll take a few weeks to resolve.

Reactions: 5105973

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I am starting to seriously consider the Z Flip 5 next summer. Actually I would consider the Flip 4 right now, but it's not financially accessible right now. I probably missed the good sales and they don't take Pixel 6 phones as trades. Not even the 6 Pro. So, that's that. Flip 5, then.

But one thing I thought was appealing about clamshell phones is they close down and protect the display.

So why does everyone, as in customers and tech writers all say they want a huge exterior screen? Isn't the little one on the Flip 4 more than enough? What would it add to the user experience that would be worth sacrificing sturdiness?
My wife runs 2 Flips a pink and purple as she finds this is easier when we are flipping between countries and e-sims are just a pain

She does not bother with the front screen at all as her watches alert her but I guess others will always want more and I assume with a larger front screen the function of others being photographed can see themselves being framed is a nicety

Both of us with our flips and folds are so use to unfolding the front screen is almost irrelevant and I am not sure why many make such a fuss given with iPhone you face unlock and then swipe the lock screen away is something you just get use to, the same as unfolding IMO

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin

I have started doing this too. I can't just walk into a T-Mobile store and buy the phone I want to begin with since they only ever stock 128g and I always buy 256. So I have to order it and wait on shipping and take my chances with package theft, and pay a $35 upgrade fee 🤬 And literally every time I've tried to do a carrier promo or trade-in deal someone hits a wrong button on the backend somewhere or their system doesn't recognize it and it takes ages to figure out what happened. Like in 2020 when they left some fine print out of an Apple promo that disqualified me and I had to spend months calling in repeatedly(and getting different answers every time) and finally going all the way up the chain to corporate who finally fixed it.

It's just a headache. With buying unlocked I do spend a little more in the end, but it's totally worth it to get exactly what I want right away with no BS.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I finally got a good look in a carrier store at the Z Flip 4 in purple. Wow. 😍

I had to double check to make sure I was looking at the actual display and not a high def photograph. It’s gorgeous! I’d just left an Apple Store where the iPhone 14 displays underwhelmed my pwm sensitive eyes.

It looked so clear and smooth. I couldn’t find anything I disliked about the phone in my short time with it.

I’m putting the Z Flip 5 on my wish list as a potential birthday present. I wish I could get the Z Flip 4 now. But I have to be patient. 😐

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I got a black 256Gb Flip 4 as a second phone. I put the white/orange Samsung silicon case on it. It looks and feels great.

It's an impressive phone, for sure. I didn't expect it to be faster compared to my iPhone 11 Pro but it really flies. Battery life is stellar (but I don't use it much, it drains about 15% during the day, which is excellent). The form factor is very good. The fingerprint reader is pretty good, although not flawless. I was impressed with how generally polished the Samsung apps were - last time I used a Samsung phone it wasn't that nice...

The negatives would be:

I get the orange dot on the external display even where there's no actual notification. Seems like a bug.
The external screen (which btw is awesome, great idea) just takes too long to get into notifications. Double tap => animates clock => slide to notifications. Pretty but a little slow.
Cameras are so-so. I think the main camera is perhaps a little more detailed compared to my 11 Pro but worse colors and too much processing. Obviously no zoom camera. It's not overall bad, definitely usable for photos, but not flagship level, clearly.
Also the speaker could be a little better.

I really appreciate the ability to use it for videocalls by folding it at 90deg, it can sit on the table. It's a great feature.

Overall, I'm so impressed that if Apple doesn't make a nicer iPhone 15 - and I mean something comfortable to hold in hand, unlike the current sharp edge, tacky stuff - I might jump ship.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I got a black 256Gb Flip 4 as a second phone. I put the white/orange Samsung silicon case on it. It looks and feels great.

It's an impressive phone, for sure. I didn't expect it to be faster compared to my iPhone 11 Pro but it really flies. Battery life is stellar (but I don't use it much, it drains about 15% during the day, which is excellent). The form factor is very good. The fingerprint reader is pretty good, although not flawless. I was impressed with how generally polished the Samsung apps were - last time I used a Samsung phone it wasn't that nice...

The negatives would be:

I get the orange dot on the external display even where there's no actual notification. Seems like a bug.
The external screen (which btw is awesome, great idea) just takes too long to get into notifications. Double tap => animates clock => slide to notifications. Pretty but a little slow.
Cameras are so-so. I think the main camera is perhaps a little more detailed compared to my 11 Pro but worse colors and too much processing. Obviously no zoom camera. It's not overall bad, definitely usable for photos, but not flagship level, clearly.
Also the speaker could be a little better.

I really appreciate the ability to use it for videocalls by folding it at 90deg, it can sit on the table. It's a great feature.

Overall, I'm so impressed that if Apple doesn't make a nicer iPhone 15 - and I mean something comfortable to hold in hand, unlike the current sharp edge, tacky stuff - I might jump ship.
When it's on the 90 degree angle of openness, can you surf the web on it?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The screen is always on as soon as you start to unfold and acts normally and with split screens so you could have your browser in the top half and say youtube in the lower.

Its just in some apps they have a flex mode where the screen acts in 2 portions where the lower flat on the desk half has control and the upper half the display, its a neat trick :)

flex.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The screen is always on as soon as you start to unfold and acts normally and with split screens so you could have your browser in the top half and say youtube in the lower.

Its just in some apps they have a flex mode where the screen acts in 2 portions where the lower flat on the desk half has control and the upper half the display, its a neat trick :)

View attachment 2131474
Thanks! I like to read in bed at night. Sometimes I fall asleep for a few seconds right in the middle of reading. Well…sometimes I drop the phone on my face. Dropping a 14 Pro Max on my face really hurts! I almost chipped a tooth! I dropped my S22 Ultra on my face last night and that didn’t hurt too bad. I appreciate how light Samsung phones are compared to iPhones!

I figured maybe if I can balance the Z Flip on my chest it would work out better for my poor face. I’m not worried about it falling off onto the floor when I’m asleep because I only fade out for a few seconds, even when I don’t drop a phone on my face. And my cat catches my phones for me anyway.

Uh, my life is a little eccentric. Basically at night I have my phone on my chest and one particular cat who likes to curl up next to me while I read, and only while I read. And when I’m finished reading she moves so I can put the phone on the nightstand. But if I nod off and drop the phone she catches it and yells at me. So I wake up and put the phone away. When I’m really ready to sleep that cat leaves and her sister jumps up to sleep on my legs. It’s a system!

I once dropped an iPad on my face. That was …something. o_O My cat is understandably not going to catch iPads. If she sees I have an iPad she won’t cuddle with me.

Lol and of course I can think of a lot of other ways the flip form factor will be nice to have.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Tbh I love my Flip 4 but in bed it's the least favorite phone to use ..then again I do carry the phone naked ...

• Haha

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Tbh I love my Flip 4 but in bed it's the least favorite phone to use ..then again I do carry the phone naked ...
I'm willing to give it a try. I'm not even sure if I'll even be able to see the screen well when I'm lying down and it's propped open in 90 degree clamshell mode. I can just use it conventionally I suppose. It's a long narrow display but I could get used to it.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I'm willing to give it a try. I'm not even sure if I'll even be able to see the screen well when I'm lying down and it's propped open in 90 degree clamshell mode. I can just use it conventionally I suppose. It's a long narrow display but I could get used to it.
Yes no disappointment with the screen and flex mode is great ...I expect it to be a good experience for you ... I'm looking forward to next year's upgrade as well... Samsung is doing great things with this line ..it was the best selling phone I believe

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Yes you can, if you enable flex mode for Chrome you get the browser in the top part and you can use the bottom as a track pad (with a real mouse pointer!).

It's usable but small.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Thanks! I like to read in bed at night. Sometimes I fall asleep for a few seconds right in the middle of reading. Well…sometimes I drop the phone on my face. Dropping a 14 Pro Max on my face really hurts! I almost chipped a tooth! I dropped my S22 Ultra on my face last night and that didn’t hurt too bad. I appreciate how light Samsung phones are compared to iPhones!

I figured maybe if I can balance the Z Flip on my chest it would work out better for my poor face. I’m not worried about it falling off onto the floor when I’m asleep because I only fade out for a few seconds, even when I don’t drop a phone on my face. And my cat catches my phones for me anyway.

Uh, my life is a little eccentric. Basically at night I have my phone on my chest and one particular cat who likes to curl up next to me while I read, and only while I read. And when I’m finished reading she moves so I can put the phone on the nightstand. But if I nod off and drop the phone she catches it and yells at me. So I wake up and put the phone away. When I’m really ready to sleep that cat leaves and her sister jumps up to sleep on my legs. It’s a system!

I once dropped an iPad on my face. That was …something. o_O My cat is understandably not going to catch iPads. If she sees I have an iPad she won’t cuddle with me.

Lol and of course I can think of a lot of other ways the flip form factor will be nice to have.
Too funny :)

I watch my wife with her complex pillow arrangements, usually with one on my ones and a position I can only say is similar to landing position of a parachuter, but on her back and ankles splayed out :) She reads for a good hour most mornings like this and plays wordie or something

Without being to personal :) your flip will heave up and down when you breath and cleavage could be an issue unless gravity vs time has resolved that one LOL

• Haha

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Too funny :)

I watch my wife with her complex pillow arrangements, usually with one on my ones and a position I can only say is similar to landing position of a parachuter, but on her back and ankles splayed out :) She reads for a good hour most mornings like this and plays wordie or something

Without being to personal :) your flip will heave up and down when you breath and cleavage could be an issue unless gravity vs time has resolved that one LOL
Oh my goodness, I startled everyone, I laughed so hard!

Even when I started posting on this forum, I was still hiking and working landscaping jobs and built very wiry and muscular for a woman. Menopause and donuts didn't bless me until just a little before the pandemic.

So what I have now is oddly "newly minted" and I have had rather a personal "culture shock" getting used to it...them? I keep forgetting to factor "them" into my life much to my detriment. 🧐

Yeah I totally forgot to think about that. Gravity hasn't gotten to them yet, but is definitely trying, after going hard for my once feminine but firm jawline.

Well I suppose I can level everything off with the squishy comforter and blankets we use in the winter. Lol, I shall make a technology boob-blanket fort! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Oh my goodness, I startled everyone, I laughed so hard!

Even when I started posting on this forum, I was still hiking and working landscaping jobs and built very wiry and muscular for a woman. Menopause and donuts didn't bless me until just a little before the pandemic.

So what I have now is oddly "newly minted" and I have had rather a personal "culture shock" getting used to it...them? I keep forgetting to factor "them" into my life much to my detriment. 🧐

Yeah I totally forgot to think about that. Gravity hasn't gotten to them yet, but is definitely trying, after going hard for my once feminine but firm jawline.

Well I suppose I can level everything off with the squishy comforter and blankets we use in the winter. Lol, I shall make a technology boob-blanket fort! 🤣
I going to stop there now before this conversation goes downhill, Doh started already :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I finally got a good look in a carrier store at the Z Flip 4 in purple. Wow.

I had to double check to make sure I was looking at the actual display and not a high def photograph. It’s gorgeous! I’d just left an Apple Store where the iPhone 14 displays underwhelmed my pwm sensitive eyes.

It looked so clear and smooth. I couldn’t find anything I disliked about the phone in my short time with it.

I’m putting the Z Flip 5 on my wish list as a potential birthday present. I wish I could get the Z Flip 4 now. But I have to be patient.

Waiting will be better I feel. Bigger front display and SD gen 2 will be a good processor update

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Some possible improvements for next year's Flip 5. Would they make you upgrade your Flip 4? For me, they probably wouldn't, but I'd have to see what the actual changes are and what Samsung offers for trade-in on the Flip 4:

Well the Motorola Razr seems to have a hinge that leaves very little in the way of a crease in the screen. Just a shame it’s such an expensive phone for what it is at least over here in the UK it is. Also for my liking the screen is far too wide on it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ok so my game plan is to trade my S22 Ultra in for the S23 Ultra. I quite like my S22 Ultra but I look forward to any efficiency gains and camera improvements on the S23 Ultra. Then I'll evaluate the Z Flip 5 when it comes out. I will either trade the S23 Ultra in for it or one of my other phones I'm not using heavily.

I did really want to get the Z Flip 4. I looked at them online, but I don't really have the money to throw that way with the Flip 5 on the horizon. I'll be patient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.