Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Anyone else running beta 3 One UI 5.0 ?
Just loaded it last night so far running nicely

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Anyone else running beta 3 One UI 5.0 ?
Just loaded it last night so far running nicely

Unfortunately we don't have access to beta software in Canada. That being said, I no longer look forward to updates. I'm a committed user to Good Lock. One UI with Good Lock is so feature rich, that there is nothing Google could add to Android, that I don't already have access to with One UI and Good Lock. When it comes to software, this phone is so bloody smooth that I honestly don't have a desire for anything more. At this point, the only thing I'm looking forward to is the Flip 5. Here's hoping they make coverscreen vertical on the Flip 5. This way, it matches the main screen in orientation when taking a pic as a selfie, or with the phone propped up on a surface to take a group pic or just any pic. It would also give you a bigger screen to preview when taking a pic. The bigger screen would also help with replying to messages.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Unfortunately we don't have access to beta software in Canada. That being said, I no longer look forward to updates. I'm a committed user to Good Lock. One UI with Good Lock is so feature rich, that there is nothing Google could add to Android, that I don't already have access to with One UI and Good Lock. When it comes to software, this phone is so bloody smooth that I honestly don't have a desire for anything more. At this point, the only thing I'm looking forward to is the Flip 5. Here's hoping they make coverscreen vertical on the Flip 5. This way, it matches the main screen in orientation when taking a pic as a selfie, or with the phone propped up on a surface to take a group pic or just any pic. It would also give you a bigger screen to preview when taking a pic. The bigger screen would also help with replying to messages.
So far Good Lock mostly working with my update ...I've not noticed any issues with what I'm running ...I have to do more investigating on features

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Some possible improvements for next year's Flip 5. Would they make you upgrade your Flip 4? For me, they probably wouldn't, but I'd have to see what the actual changes are and what Samsung offers for trade-in on the Flip 4:

I most likely would upgrade anyway. I'm sure the deals for the trade-in will be worth it.. it'd be nice to see a larger outside screen. I'm all for it. Kind of like Motorola on the outside would be good

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m now taking a crash course on this phone and rumors for the Z Flip 5. I haven’t been paying attention to the camera specs or anything because I wasn’t ready for a foldable.

But now that I’m realizing the extent to which iPhone has messed my nervous system up, I am checking out all my options on the Samsung side. Especially with Google experimenting with end to end encryption of RCS messaging.

Also my kids are experimenting more with messaging systems. Most of their friends are on iPhones and iMessage, but a couple of them are Android users, so the entire group uses a group chat on Discord, I think it was.

All the parents of the friends are heavy iMessages users though. So I’m still going to be somewhat tethered to an iphone to keep in the loop with them. But even that has some forces for change behind it that are too long to explain for now.

At any rate I can start expanding my horizons now and I see a chance to consider something besides an iPhone for my main phone. Maybe not immediately, but in another couple of years.

I just have to find out if there is a significant difference between the foldable display and a standard display in terms of compatibility with my vision/migraine sensitivity.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I’m now taking a crash course on this phone and rumors for the Z Flip 5. I haven’t been paying attention to the camera specs or anything because I wasn’t ready for a foldable.

But now that I’m realizing the extent to which iPhone has messed my nervous system up, I am checking out all my options on the Samsung side. Especially with Google experimenting with end to end encryption of RCS messaging.

Also my kids are experimenting more with messaging systems. Most of their friends are on iPhones and iMessage, but a couple of them are Android users, so the entire group uses a group chat on Discord, I think it was.

All the parents of the friends are heavy iMessages users though. So I’m still going to be somewhat tethered to an iphone to keep in the loop with them. But even that has some forces for change behind it that are too long to explain for now.

At any rate I can start expanding my horizons now and I see a chance to consider something besides an iPhone for my main phone. Maybe not immediately, but in another couple of years.

I just have to find out if there is a significant difference between the foldable display and a standard display in terms of compatibility with my vision/migraine sensitivity.
The Flip series has the built-in screen protector. This could be a completely ridiculous shot in the dark, but maybe that would make a difference?

Reactions: 5105973

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
I'll definitely be upgrading to the Flip 5. I've never had a more satisfying user experience than with the Flip 4. I absolutely love the OneUI 5 software, as well as the bespoke premium hardware. They're damn near perfect. I love the hardware security of Knox and secure folder, that no other phone offers. Then to make things even better and truly separate from the pack is Good Lock and all it's modules. The newest module called RegiStar, allows you to reorganize your settings menu. I could honestly never be interested in another phone that doesn't offer such a complete user experience.

The Flip 4 brought over a lot of new users, but the bigger cover screen on the Flip 5 will seal the deal for anyone else on the fence. The cover screen is what makes taking the best selfies or group selfies with the main cameras an enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The Flip 4 brought over a lot of new users, but the bigger cover screen on the Flip 5 will seal the deal for anyone else on the fence. The cover screen is what makes taking the best selfies or group selfies with the main cameras an enjoyable experience.
I don't think I'll ever be a Flip user... simple for the fact I like to wear a smartwatch.

I believe there's an overlap with wearing a smartwatch and relying on the Flip's cover screen... for instance I receive a notification, why would I grab the Flip out of my pocket to look at the cover screen when I can quickly glance at my watch.

And for group selfies, I use my smartwatch as a view finder along with snapping a photo from it.

Reactions: TechRunner

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I don't think I'll ever be a Flip user... simple for the fact I like to wear a smartwatch.

I believe there's an overlap with wearing a smartwatch and relying on the Flip's cover screen... for instance I receive a notification, why would I grab the Flip out of my pocket to look at the cover screen when I can quickly glance at my watch.

And for group selfies, I use my smartwatch as a view finder along with snapping a photo from it.
Well sir, stop wearing your smart watch. I think it's time to go pick up one of them fancy watches to go out lol.. seriously, it is a pleasure pocketing the flip phone for on the go.. that alone is worth the price of admission.. and then when you unfold it and everyone looks at you like. Wow, that's a regular phone?.. they really did a great job with the latest IMO . I can't wait to see this thing keep progressing next versions..

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well sir, stop wearing your smart watch. I think it's time to go pick up one of them fancy watches to go out lol.. seriously, it is a pleasure pocketing the flip phone for on the go.. that alone is worth the price of admission.. and then when you unfold it and everyone looks at you like. Wow, that's a regular phone?.. they really did a great job with the latest IMO . I can't wait to see this thing keep progressing next versions..
Lol, I'm not criticizing the Flip at all... it's an awesome phone. But it's just not for me, as you know... I'm a Fold user.

Funny story... I was at a drive thru picking up some food and while waiting I had my Fold unfolded browsing trying to find some wire covers, the guy at the window was puzzled... "is that two phones?" "what kind of phone is that?"

I was caught off guard by the "is that two phones?" question, I chuckled a bit. But I told him is the Fold... it folds (demoed it for him), he was surprised about it. Never seen it before.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lol, I'm not criticizing the Flip at all... it's an awesome phone. But it's just not for me, as you know... I'm a Fold user.

Funny story... I was at a drive thru picking up some food and while waiting I had my Fold unfolded browsing trying to find some wire covers, the guy at the window was puzzled... "is that two phones?" "what kind of phone is that?"

I was caught off guard by the "is that two phones?" question, I chuckled a bit. But I told him is the Fold... it folds (demoed it for him), he was surprised about it. Never seen it before.
I was recently in a nice little walkabout shopping district with my husband and I saw a guy on the street corner looking at a Fold. It was all I could do to keep myself from jumping up and down and pointing. 🤣 I get a bit overly enthusiastic when I see these folding phones out in public. I haven't seen a Flip yet.

I'm really torn now between S23+ vs Flip5 and S22/23 Ultra. At least so far as I can tell from using my S22 Ultra and my 14 Pro Max this weekend, it seems the S22 Ultra Amoled display doesn't seem to incur the same nervous system effects on me as the 14 Pro Max display does. But I have to test more to be sure.

I'm afraid to try my Pixel 6 Pro display again. I got so sick last time. I guess what might end up happening is I put my 6 Pro up in trade for a Z Flip 5. Then keep my S22 Ultra. Or trade it for an S23 Ultra. Either way, I don't want to be without an Ultra ever again. Because it's really a Note. And I am a Note girl at heart. My husband likes his Fold 3. Maybe someday I'll go to a Fold but I'm not ready yet.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019

Haha I know you weren't criticizing.. definitely nice to have all the different options for us and what makes Android. Such a pleasure... I used to love caring around my Fold opened when out and about just to see peeps reactions without them saying anything to me haha .. I got so used to the phone I used to one-handed open lmao while ordering coffee at let's say a Starbucks or something haha..

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm afraid to try my Pixel 6 Pro display again. I got so sick last time. I guess what might end up happening is I put my 6 Pro up in trade for a Z Flip 5. Then keep my S22 Ultra. Or trade it for an S23 Ultra. Either way, I don't want to be without an Ultra ever again. Because it's really a Note. And I am a Note girl at heart. My husband likes his Fold 3. Maybe someday I'll go to a Fold but I'm not ready yet.
Yeah, the Fold isn’t for everyone. That’s why I don’t knock anyone for not choosing it over a candy bar phone, but once someone use the Fold and get acclimated to the size along with all there is to offer… there’s nothing better!

But if the Fold didn’t exist… I’ll have to go with the Ultra series.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah, the Fold isn’t for everyone. That’s why I don’t knock anyone for not choosing it over a candy bar phone, but once someone use the Fold and get acclimated to the size along with all there is to offer… there’s nothing better!

But if the Fold didn’t exist… I’ll have to go with the Ultra series.
To be honest i'm quite shocked how good the refinement from fold 3 to fold 4 has been to be fair. it's been a big improvement which I wasn't expecting. I will be honest it's been a joy to use.

Reactions: Ludatyk and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
To be honest i'm quite shocked how good the refinement from fold 3 to fold 4 has been to be fair. it's been a big improvement which I wasn't expecting. I will be honest it's been a joy to use.
Wow. It's a shame then that my husband didn't opt to make the trade up then. He balked at the price. Even with a trade in it was a lot at the time he was looking.

I went to check yesterday what I could get to trade the Pixel 6 Pro in for a Z Flip 4. To my absolute shock there was no option to make that particular trade in. Pixel 5 was an option as well as other Pixels. But last year's Pixel 6 Pro was not an option. Wow.

Reactions: The Game 161

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Has anyone on VZW gotten Android 13 yet? I read articles it was due by the end of November. Some even say it's already available, but I see nothing.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Wow. It's a shame then that my husband didn't opt to make the trade up then. He balked at the price. Even with a trade in it was a lot at the time he was looking.

I went to check yesterday what I could get to trade the Pixel 6 Pro in for a Z Flip 4. To my absolute shock there was no option to make that particular trade in. Pixel 5 was an option as well as other Pixels. But last year's Pixel 6 Pro was not an option. Wow.

I understand that as I can see if you have a fold 3 to stick with that over fold 4. It’s not cheap even with trade ins

I’m so confused what to do when the s23 ultra is out I’m 50/50 if to trade in my pixel 7 pro for it. I enjoy my pixel but dunno think overall I do enjoy Samsung more but I do have the fold so maybe I should have different brands instead of both Samsung

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I understand that as I can see if you have a fold 3 to stick with that over fold 4. It’s not cheap even with trade ins

I’m so confused what to do when the s23 ultra is out I’m 50/50 if to trade in my pixel 7 pro for it. I enjoy my pixel but dunno think overall I do enjoy Samsung more but I do have the fold so maybe I should have different brands instead of both Samsung
Something happened to me neurologically that made me unable to tolerate my Pixel 6Pro display after using the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Otherwise I would be rocking a 7 Pro by now. I do like having a Pixel and an Android team. The last time I checked on vacation, the Pixel 6 Pro was able to get night shots of the moon over the ocean that looked like exactly that. The iPhone and the S22 Ultra turned it into the sun over the daylight ocean. If I tried to manually change the exposures I got a noisy mess.

If it were physically possible for me, I'd keep a varied team. The S22 Ultra seems like it is the best all around do-everything phone but when I actually use it a lot, I can see myself missing Pixel features and how Pixel does things.

But the same can be said when I was on my Pixel a lot.

I do absolutely hate how so many web pages wrap around the corner of my s22 Ultra display. Arrrrrrrrrghhhh. I hate curved displays!

Reactions: The Game 161

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The crease doesn't really bother me, but I'd appreciate the bigger cover screen for sure.
I am starting to seriously consider the Z Flip 5 next summer. Actually I would consider the Flip 4 right now, but it's not financially accessible right now. I probably missed the good sales and they don't take Pixel 6 phones as trades. Not even the 6 Pro. So, that's that. Flip 5, then.

But one thing I thought was appealing about clamshell phones is they close down and protect the display.

So why does everyone, as in customers and tech writers all say they want a huge exterior screen? Isn't the little one on the Flip 4 more than enough? What would it add to the user experience that would be worth sacrificing sturdiness?

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I am starting to seriously consider the Z Flip 5 next summer. Actually I would consider the Flip 4 right now, but it's not financially accessible right now. I probably missed the good sales and they don't take Pixel 6 phones as trades. Not even the 6 Pro. So, that's that. Flip 5, then.

But one thing I thought was appealing about clamshell phones is they close down and protect the display.

So why does everyone, as in customers and tech writers all say they want a huge exterior screen? Isn't the little one on the Flip 4 more than enough? What would it add to the user experience that would be worth sacrificing sturdiness?
A bigger cover screen would help with managing notifications (It's a small area to swipe around in at the moment, but not a deal breaker) and having a larger preview image for taking photos using a timer (which I do) and for selfies (which I don't). I'm sure others can think of more things, but those are my two uses. Having said that, I'm not complaining about the current cover screen. My thinking is more along the lines of, "If I could change/enhance this, I would."

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Darn, I recently was able to trade my 13PM to Verizon straight up for Z Flip 4, so installments are totally credited. And Android 13 finally showed up today! Install took all of lunch, so have to try it out some on break.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Has anyone on VZW gotten Android 13 yet? I read articles it was due by the end of November. Some even say it's already available, but I see nothing.
Hooray showed up today. Took all of lunch, so will have to try it out on break. Much better than with GS8+ with Oreo coming soon soon soon....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.