Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Have you gotten your scheduled delivery? And what is your process in regards to the S22U? Are you going to wait it out see if you like the Flip4 before trading the S22U.

Haven’t really explored Bixby Routines.. I’m aware of it, but never really gotten all into it. But Good Lock… it’s what separates it from the Pixel. But Good Lock is only beneficial if you value stock launcher whereas if you like 3rd party launchers you won’t get as much from Good Lock.
I should have the phone by Wednesday... I'm planning on trade in bc worst case I can come back with a great trade in on Flip if I'm not happy

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I should have the phone by Wednesday... I'm planning on trade in bc worst case I can come back with a great trade in on Flip if I'm not happy
I never could.. um, grasp the idea of the Galaxy Flip. I know the purpose is closing the flip placing in the pocket and if you get notification or if someone is calling you that can be checked from the outside screen, right?

But it becomes pointless when wearing a smartwatch (imo). Because those tasks can be done from the smartwatch without need to grab the Flip from the pocket. I’m just trying to understand what’s the appeal?

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I never could.. um, grasp the idea of the Galaxy Flip. I know the purpose is closing the flip placing in the pocket and if you get notification or if someone is calling you that can be checked from the outside screen, right?

But it becomes pointless when wearing a smartwatch (imo). Because those tasks can be done from the smartwatch without need to grab the Flip from the pocket. I’m just trying to understand what’s the appeal?

Well I think they are plenty peeps not wearing watches where that front screen can be useful there is also development for the outer display to allow more functions .. but main appeal is the pocketabiliy and using flex mode while out taking pics and vids ...it has really picked up a following from my observations...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well I think they are plenty peeps not wearing watches where that front screen can be useful there is also development for the outer display to allow more functions .. but main appeal is the pocketabiliy and using flex mode while out taking pics and vids ...it has really picked up a following from my observations...
I get the compact form factor. But people must have small pockets if they opting for a Flip4 since its impossible to fit a slab phone in their pocket Lol.

The only argument I see for a Flip is if they are wearing a non-smartwatch because flex mode is unnecessary when I can use my smartwatch as a remote control (done this plenty of times). But then again, it’s all a personal choice. I just never quite understood it given the rise of smartwatches.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I get the compact form factor. But people must have small pockets if they opting for a Flip4 since its impossible to fit a slab phone in their pocket Lol.

The only argument I see for a Flip is if they are wearing a non-smartwatch because flex mode is unnecessary when I can use my smartwatch as a remote control (done this plenty of times). But then again, it’s all a personal choice. I just never quite understood it given the rise of smartwatches.
Yeah man ha ..I think end of day Samsung has to be given credit for all the different options ..you want a mini tablet..Flip ...spen ...ultra ...smart watch ...everyone is covered ...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah man ha ..I think end of day Samsung has to be given credit for all the different options ..you want a mini tablet..Flip ...spen ...ultra ...smart watch ...everyone is covered ...
Oh, yeah. I applaud Samsung for the innovation and the devices in the lineup. There’s a Samsung vs Apple war going on currently with the latest MacRumors post of the Samsung Ad and it’s hilarious seeing the comments coming from Apple loyalist.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Oh, yeah. I applaud Samsung for the innovation and the devices in the lineup. There’s a Samsung vs Apple war going on currently with the latest MacRumors post of the Samsung Ad and it’s hilarious seeing the comments coming from Apple loyalist.
That's awesome I'm going to have to get the popcorn and join in

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Do you have a few top things you use with good lock that you'd recommend? I will admit, I've never used it and it sounds like I should be.

Oh man, it's truly endless. And it's all custom to your own usage. For example, here's a list of my current routines. I didn't create these all at once. As time passes, my needs change, so I just add a new routine as needed.

Screenshot_20220902_081724_Bixby Routines.jpg

So the routine you see with a play button on the corner are touch routines. You basically add the routine as a touch widget to turn the routine on and off. So in my case, I don't like having adaptive brightness on all the time, I'll only turn it on when outside, and it's really sunny. So rather than go into the pull down then tap the three buttons to turn it on, I just tap the touch routine I created for it. Easy. Same goes for fast charging and fast wireless charging. I only use it when I'm short for time. I also have my home pages looping so no need to go back and forth if you have multiple pages. I have all app labels removed as well as my status bar removed for a cleaner look. I have my app drawer scroll up and down. My keyboard is also custom themed as well a custom oriented for key placement. All my gestures are custom. The gestures run all up and down the side of my phone as well a the bottom. All done through Good Lock, Bixby Routines, and One Hand Operation. There's just too much to list. Lol.

Here's what the touch routines look like on my screen.

Screenshot_20220902_083249_One UI Home.jpg

I'll just add my app drawer here. As stated, it scrolls up and down. No third party apps or launchers needed. One UI with all of Samsung's custom software are all you need.

Screenshot_20220902_092526_One UI Home.jpg

Last edited:

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
The Flip is a great idea. I had one for a couple of months until getting the Fold 4. I would think most people do not own smart watches. When folded, it's so pocketable and compact. I just wish the folded screen was the full size of the folded half. It is usable for some things but very small.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I pulled the sim from my S22U and have been running my aurora purple Flip 4 alongside my 13P for 2 weeks and wanted to weigh in. I liked my Flip 3 but I *love* my Flip 4. More comfortable to hold, great battery, more cover screen features, feels super fast/snappy performance, etc. Power button fingerprint ID is flawless as it also was on Flip 3. I like it better than Face ID or underscreen FP sensor because it is so reliable, consistent, and instantaneous. I didn't have any trouble with screen protector on Flip 3 bc I didn't use the phone as daily driver but the screen and protector and also hinge feel more sturdy. We will see.

I really love the form factor of this phone. It is so comfortable to handle and so compact.when folded. I love my S22U when I want to take notes, watch videos, or be productive but this phone is just great for running around town and daily life. Camera takes great everyday pictures. Can't recommend enough.

Last edited:

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I really liked the Flip 4, but ended up exchanging it for an S22 Ultra after 5 days because I couldn't see the Flip's screen outdoors in the sun with my polarized sunglasses on. Deal breaker for me as I spend a lot of time outdoors. But other than that issue, I really enjoyed it while I had it.
This has been my only issue with it too. The screen pretty much disappears when wearing my sunglasses. But I'm enjoying everything else about it and will keep it. Just wanted to add my voice to yours as a warning to others for whom that might be a dealbreaker.

Reactions: 5105973

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
This has been my only issue with it too. The screen pretty much disappears when wearing my sunglasses. But I'm enjoying everything else about it and will keep it. Just wanted to add my voice to yours as a warning to others for whom that might be a dealbreaker.
This is an issue with your sun glasses presumably as the Flip 4 has max brightness of 1200 nits

Just like the Galaxy S22 Ultra, the Z Flip4 offers this option called Extra Brightness - it increases the maximum brightness in manual mode

So this seems a personal issue and not the Flip 4 issue as specs are similar to S22/Fold 4

Display test
100% brightness
Black,cd/m2White,cd/m2Contrast ratio
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip40505
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 (Extra Brightness)0802
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 (Max Auto)0919
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G0503
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G (Max Auto)0935
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip0377
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip (Max Auto)0596
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold40505
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 (Extra Brightness)0809
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 (Max Auto)01000
Samsung Galaxy S220465
Samsung Galaxy S22 (Extra brightness)0757
Samsung Galaxy S22 (Max Auto)0982

I just picked up my Wife's pink Flip 4 this afternoon from Samsung store and just tested it on the balcony here in sunny Malaysia , no issues :)

Last edited:

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
This is an issue with your sun glasses presumably as the Flip 4 has max brightness of 1200 nits

Just like the Galaxy S22 Ultra, the Z Flip4 offers this option called Extra Brightness - it increases the maximum brightness in manual mode

So this seems a personal issue and not the Flip 4 issue as specs are similar to S22/Fold 4

Display test
100% brightness
Black,cd/m2White,cd/m2Contrast ratio
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip40505
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 (Extra Brightness)0802
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 (Max Auto)0919
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G0503
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G (Max Auto)0935
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip0377
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip (Max Auto)0596
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold40505
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 (Extra Brightness)0809
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 (Max Auto)01000
Samsung Galaxy S220465
Samsung Galaxy S22 (Extra brightness)0757
Samsung Galaxy S22 (Max Auto)0982

I just picked up my Wife's pink Flip 4 this afternoon from Samsung store and just tested it on the balcony here in sunny Malaysia , no issues :)
Yeah, it's probably an issue with the glasses themselves. But they're prescription, so I can't easily exchange them. Still not a dealbreaker for me, though. I'm loving the phone!

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA

It's not really a personal issue or an issue with the glasses; I believe it is an issue with the pre-installed screen protector.

All screen protectors degrade the user experience when wearing polarized lenses. It's why I stopped using them on my iPhones and why I am not using one on the S22. I have no doubt that without that pre-installed screen protector, the Flip 4's display would look just fine. But that's not an option.

Reactions: TechRunner

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
It's not really a personal issue or an issue with the glasses; I believe it is an issue with the pre-installed screen protector.

All screen protectors degrade the user experience when wearing polarized lenses. It's why I stopped using them on my iPhones and why I am not using one on the S22. I have no doubt that without that pre-installed screen protector, the Flip 4's display would look just fine. But that's not an option.
I actually made the screen protector comment to wife this weekend, but as you say, I'm stuck with it, though I have heard of more adventurous souls than myself removing it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

All Polarized lenses degrade the user experience when looking at screens such as:
  • car dashboard controls
  • ATM cash machines
  • cell phones
  • some watches
and generally make things darker

Its your personal preference to use these lens and to not opt for possible solutions, which I can understand :)

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
With that color combo, I would add the warranty and use without the case. You can't cover that up!
So last night I threw the phone on the wireless charger and I woke up this morning to 70% as the charge stopped because the phone slid a little bit off the area for the charging LOL.. just thinking other than a clear case how I want to go about carrying this phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.