Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ok so early rumours are saying major camera upgrades

It will have same main sensor as the S22 ultra and the same 3x telephoto as well

So

108mp/12/10

Other rumours are slimmer, less of a crease and a slightly wider display. S pen built in is also rumoured

Seems only thing that’s missing from the S22 ultra at present is the 10x optical periscope lens

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
That all sounds good but the worry I have is they will sacrifice battery size to make that work. This device can’t afford a hit to the battery. It’s already just barely passable.

Reactions: magicman32

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Ok so early rumours are saying major camera upgrades

It will have same main sensor as the S22 ultra and the same 3x telephoto as well

So

108mp/12/10

Other rumours are slimmer, less of a crease and a slightly wider display. S pen built in is also rumoured

Seems only thing that’s missing from the S22 ultra at present is the 10x optical periscope lens
Not sure where you are reading the main sensor of the S22 Ultra, but my thoughts seem as if S22/S22+ main sensor will be in it.

50mp/12/10.

I think it would be costly to add S22 Ultra main sensor along with the S Pen Built into it. But I do think to offset cost of upgrading the camera to 50mp and building a silo for the S-Pen, Samsung will be breaking down the RAM. Entry RAM of the Fold 4 will be 8GB.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not sure where you are reading the main sensor of the S22 Ultra, but my thoughts seem as if S22/S22+ main sensor will be in it.

50mp/12/10.

I think it would be costly to add S22 Ultra main sensor along with the S Pen Built into it. But I do think to offset cost of upgrading the camera to 50mp and building a silo for the S-Pen, Samsung will be breaking down the RAM. Entry RAM of the Fold 4 will be 8GB.

A few known Samsung leakers seem to have both said 108mp. Will see though
5303c64936d515db8f458b5241c0add7.jpg

Reactions: Ludatyk

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Samsung knows the camera is one of the Fold’s top weak points. Fold 4 just has to have an excellent camera if Samsung wants good sales. S-Pen slot will not be good enough.

Reactions: 5105973

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I do not care what they do I will be buying one :D

I do wish they would square off the design more like the Note or S22U.

Thumbs up for silo for S-Pen providing it's righthand biased and if you look at battery physical size its relatively minor dimension changes to make up any volume loss for the silo :rolleyes: especially if they make it a little wider

If they stop spending budgets on hinge improvements maybe we will see top spec cameras on the F4

As for endurance surely the F3 is tops if you only use the front screen and want days :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I will no doubt be tempted by the fold 4 but will try and resist and keep this one for at least a few years. for my usage I think it will last me for what I use it for.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Vivo just announced their first foldable. Not only does it have flagship specs, it has a better design than the Z Fold, and is cheaper. Samsung need to up their game. They were the pioneers in this market and the Z Fold 3 was a great phone, but theres no point sticking with a design just because it was where they started. Its clear that every other manufacturer realizes the important of making the front screen the size of a normal phone and reducing the hinge impact on the inner screen. Samsung needs to get on board.

Also, the Vivo has in-display scanners on the outside and inner screen. Interesting.

Oh and rumors now that the Oppo N (their foldable) is coming to the US this year under the OnePlus banner. Samsung are about to get some competition in the US foldable market.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Vivo just announced their first foldable. Not only does it have flagship specs, it has a better design than the Z Fold, and is cheaper. Samsung need to up their game. They were the pioneers in this market and the Z Fold 3 was a great phone, but theres no point sticking with a design just because it was where they started. Its clear that every other manufacturer realizes the important of making the front screen the size of a normal phone and reducing the hinge impact on the inner screen. Samsung needs to get on board.
But these companies coming out their 1st foldables have Samsung to compare to, without Samsung we probably still limited to non-foldables phones. And I’m sure Samsung is aware that the upcoming Z Fold 4 will have more competition in the foldable space (they are the major OEM supplying folding displays).

You can see the strides they made from the original Z Fold, I don’t think Samsung is sitting idle without making improvements to the Z Fold design. As tech enthusiast we always want major redesigns every year or two… but look at the iPhone. They are using iPhone 6 design they have had for almost 6 years with the new iPhone SE. I’m not really demanding too much change for the Z Fold 4.

I enjoy using my Z Fold 2 daily and I’m looking forward to purchasing the Z Fold 4 as soon as it’s released. But I wouldn’t mind having an upgraded camera (doesn’t have to be flagship), silo S-Pen and a bigger battery. But design-wise, it’s not high on my list of wants.

Also, the Vivo has in-display scanners on the outside and inner screen. Interesting.
I rather Samsung keep side finger-print, sometimes those in-display scanners are hit and miss. I’ve seen people complain it about for the Pixel 6/6Pro.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
But these companies coming out their 1st foldables have Samsung to compare to, without Samsung we probably still limited to non-foldables phones. And I’m sure Samsung is aware that the upcoming Z Fold 4 will have more competition in the foldable space (they are the major OEM supplying folding displays).

You can see the strides they made from the original Z Fold, I don’t think Samsung is sitting idle without making improvements to the Z Fold design. As tech enthusiast we always want major redesigns every year or two… but look at the iPhone. They are using iPhone 6 design they have had for almost 6 years with the new iPhone SE. I’m not really demanding too much change for the Z Fold 4.

I enjoy using my Z Fold 2 daily and I’m looking forward to purchasing the Z Fold 4 as soon as it’s released. But I wouldn’t mind having an upgraded camera (doesn’t have to be flagship), silo S-Pen and a bigger battery. But design-wise, it’s not high on my list of wants.

I rather Samsung keep side finger-print, sometimes those in-display scanners are hit and miss. I’ve seen people complain it about for the Pixel 6/6Pro.

Dont get me wrong, I love that Samsung is willing to push new technologies and be at the front. What I'm saying is, they need to take things they learned from the first 3 Z Folds and not be afraid to scrap that design and go more towards a different hinge, smaller wider front screen, and lower price. They cant cling onto the current design and expect to only make minor changes. Sometimes a re-tool is needed. Because other companies have/are making better foldables than them now. The one thing saving them is their software is better and they have a larger market to sell to (and are the only ones selling them in the US, for now)

Reactions: 5105973 and Ludatyk

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
issue is vivo x fold will only be in china so that right there is the biggest issue with these non Samsung foldable. specs are great but if you can't buy it in most regions the Samsung line will be what people are going to know about.

volume is the problem and only Samsung are able to get the volume in most markets

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Dont get me wrong, I love that Samsung is willing to push new technologies and be at the front. What I'm saying is, they need to take things they learned from the first 3 Z Folds and not be afraid to scrap that design and go more towards a different hinge, smaller wider front screen, and lower price. They cant cling onto the current design and expect to only make minor changes. Sometimes a re-tool is needed. Because other companies have/are making better foldables than them now. The one thing saving them is their software is better and they have a larger market to sell to (and are the only ones selling them in the US, for now)
I agree. I would want a design similar to Oppo Find N, however... majority in the reddit thread prefer the narrow screen. Now, I do understand that doesn't reflect the world thoughts. But it does give me some understanding why Samsung has kept that narrow screen for 3 years.

And I do think that design-wise, Samsung leaves me more to desire. I like what other companies are doing, but as you mention... Samsung software is better. And tbh, I value software over the hardware... in additon to that, Google and Samsung has a better relationship than other Android phone makers.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I agree. I would want a design similar to Oppo Find N, however... majority in the reddit thread prefer the narrow screen. Now, I do understand that doesn't reflect the world thoughts. But it does give me some understanding why Samsung has kept that narrow screen for 3 years.

And I do think that design-wise, Samsung leaves me more to desire. I like what other companies are doing, but as you mention... Samsung software is better. And tbh, I value software over the hardware... in additon to that, Google and Samsung has a better relationship than other Android phone makers.
Do not forget Samsung and MS collaboration :)

I have never even walked in the Oppo store here in Thailand or Malaysia, it's just not a brand that I consider seriously :D

Reactions: Ludatyk

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Do not forget Samsung and MS collaboration :)

I have never even walked in the Oppo store here in Thailand or Malaysia, it's just not a brand that I consider seriously :D
I had an Oppo Find X2 Pro and I loved it. The only reason I dropped it was because software updates were hard to come by, even using the international version here in the US. But camera, software and overall polish were all top-notch. I’d buy a sanctioned US-version any day of the week If I was in the market.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Given my experience with my Galaxy Fold 2 and Samsungs terrible customer service I am done with the fold devices and probably all Samsung devices. When I look on ebay at used Galaxy Fold 2s and 3s, I see that many have the same issue I did regarding the phone not folding open fully flat. Samsung will not be able to fix it and will do all they can to avoid sending out a replacement by making excuses for the warranty being void etc.

It is even worse for those that have a fault in their foldable screens. Good luck in getting anything from the Samsung warranty.

In fact I also bought 2 of their recently released Book 2 Pro 360 laptops and am having immense issues with their customer service. When a Samsung product develops a fault or you have an issue with it, do not expect any support from Samsung customer services.

Not sure how Apple customer services are these days as I haven't bought a product from them in about 10 years. However, when I was exclusively Apple, I do recall their customer services being up there with Amazon and John Lewis.

Folding Samsung phones right now are not a good idea if there is poor customer service behind it.

Last edited:
  • Sad

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
If Samsung ups their camera game for their foldables, I'd definitely consider a Z Flip, as I'd love that pocketable size. I'm sure those of you with the Z Fold find the bigger screen a benefit for framing photos/videos, though. That would make it a tough choice for me!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Given my experience with my Galaxy Fold 2 and Samsungs terrible customer service I am done with the fold devices and probably all Samsung devices. When I look on ebay at used Galaxy Fold 2s and 3s, I see that many have the same issue I did regarding the phone not folding open fully flat. Samsung will not be able to fix it and will do all they can to avoid sending out a replacement by making excuses for the warranty being void etc.

It is even worse for those that have a fault in their foldable screens. Good luck in getting anything from the Samsung warranty.

In fact I also bought 2 of their recently released Book 2 Pro 360 laptops and am having immense issues with their customer service. When a Samsung product develops a fault or you have an issue with it, do not expect any support from Samsung customer services.

Not sure how Apple customer services are these days as I haven't bought a product from them in about 10 years. However, when I was exclusively Apple, I do recall their customer services being up there with Amazon and John Lewis.

Folding Samsung phones right now are not a good idea if there is poor customer service behind it.
I have the exact polar experience to you when my Fold 2 front screen lost it's touch, with a quick midnight call to Samsung 24 hr service a guy popped around picked up my F2 gave me a loan note, sent me 2 update sms and returned the repaired F2 in 2 days. I do not know any other OEM who offers this level of service included

I also have a Samsung 15" Pro 360 and my son bought the just the 13" book at the same time and my wife has the 12" arm book, no issues what so ever

I also received excellent support from Razer when my 15" lost is multi colour KB options who arranged free pick-up courier service to Singapore and back in a week

Similarly Dell onsite support was great in the UK with my sons laptop I bought and eventually after 3 attempts to fix they gave us a full cash refund and a £300 voucher

MS the same on a recall for a screen fault on SB2 just sent a pre paid box and laptop was back in a week

Apple on the other hand wanted a $60 processing fee just to open the MBA 12" and a ridiculous replacement cost for a logic board, let alone the 5 charging bricks I have had to replace, flaking screens, etc

Its always easy to find negative feedback on the internet and these forums are littered with class actions against Apple, but far less on other OEMs. That seems reasonably indicative of the brick wall you hit with Apple warranty issues

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Sounds like it’s going to be wider on the front display.

Got to admit I really enjoy the fold 3. Just different form factor where my iPhone and ultra is pretty much similar experiences
Yup. I welcome that change. But if rumors are true of a 108MP Galaxy Fold 4, then I think Samsung has decided camera is more important than a silo for an S-Pen.

Question. Do you use the S-Pen at all with the Fold 3? I didn't upgrade to the Fold 3... and looking forward to using it on the Fold 4.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yup. I welcome that change. But if rumors are true of a 108MP Galaxy Fold 4, then I think Samsung has decided camera is more important than a silo for an S-Pen.

Question. Do you use the S-Pen at all with the Fold 3? I didn't upgrade to the Fold 3... and looking forward to using it on the Fold 4.

Yeah to be honest I use the s pen more on my fold than the ultra. Maybe because it’s a bigger screen.

I use the S pen pro which I think is an ideal size for the fold. S pen for the ultra is tad too small

108mp on the fold 4 would be great to get basically same photo quality as the ultra. Only thing you are missing is the great zoom. I’m seriously tempted to use go iPhone and fold instead of iPhone, fold and ultra. I love the zoom but do I use it enough? That’s the question

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.