Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX

Unfortunately, Fold users won’t get 108mp… which I was highly skeptical of Samsung giving Fold 4 that type of camera tech. But I’m alright with 50mp and the rest of the camera setup.
Only complaints for me is they kept the under display camera which is complete trash and the battery size. Hopefully the newer processor will be a little more efficient and it will be a non issue.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Only complaints for me is they kept the under display camera which is complete trash and the battery size. Hopefully the newer processor will be a little more efficient and it will be a non issue.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the UDC.

But I think Samsung had to keep it...what other alternatives do they have? Remove it all together? Bring back the hole punch with higher MP?

If they remove it all together it would be complaints among those who find having a camera in the inner display useful and bringing back the hole punch will ruin the user experience for Fold 3 users.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
This might give you a better idea of the differences.

45559f0c4dc79ea93b4de040c50d471a.jpg

The Fold 4 is slightly shorter and wider, but only slightly. The inner screen is going to be more squarish.

But there’s a potential that the Fold 4 will have 2 variants.. 12GB/16GB RAM, I’m definitely going to try for the 16GB.

Thanks. It's a lot more obvious in that picture.

I did stare at the first picture posted for a couple of minutes and couldn't see the differences.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
Yep! You missed how one is the Fold 3 and the other supposed to be the Fold 4. Then look at the hinge...the Fold 4 is supposed to have a smaller hinge
yeah i see it now. Largely thanks to the second picture posted.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
This might give you a better idea of the differences.

45559f0c4dc79ea93b4de040c50d471a.jpg

The Fold 4 is slightly shorter and wider, but only slightly. The inner screen is going to be more squarish.

But there’s a potential that the Fold 4 will have 2 variants.. 12GB/16GB RAM, I’m definitely going to try for the 16GB.
Well guess I'll be keeping my Fold 3

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well guess I'll be keeping my Fold 3
Well, I have a Fold 2 (had it since launch) and I didn't see the need to upgrade to the Fold 3. Water resistance and the S-Pen wasn't really high on my wanted list.

Technically the reason I'm upgrading is that this is the last year the Fold 2 will be receiving updates and in additon to that... this is first time the Fold series is getting a substantial camera upgrade. I don't care to do the two-phone setup (no shade to those who do), I use the Fold as my daily driver.

And I'll be lying to myself if I don't wish for a better camera setup, so... this is the year Samsung addresses it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Think I will be keeping fold 3 as well. That said I didn’t buy it to upgrade every year. Hell I may keep it 3 years as it fills its purpose

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
I’m not really expecting much. Two days ago I traded mine in for a 13 pro. I was getting horrible battery life, screen was scratching to easy(2 replacements). And the phone produced to much heat.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Had the Fold 2 and 3, and it was a great experience with both. Traded the Fold 3 for the S22 Ultra, which is damn near a flawless device imo. It's going to be a hard sell for me to give up the S22 Ultra for a Fold 4.

Reactions: jamezr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have been using the Fold 1, 2 and 3 as my daily, regardless of features on conventional slab formats I can't go back :)

Bring on the Fold 4 my spare F3 is ready to trade in

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Had the Fold 2 and 3, and it was a great experience with both. Traded the Fold 3 for the S22 Ultra, which is damn near a flawless device imo. It's going to be a hard sell for me to give up the S22 Ultra for a Fold 4.

I’m curious… what are your reasons for giving up on the Fold and going back to the regular slab?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have been using the Fold 1, 2 and 3 as my daily, regardless of features on conventional slab formats I can't go back :)

Bring on the Fold 4 my spare F3 is ready to trade in

Looks like we are on track for a August 26th release date!

b07ceec5e7e552ce4f1d77484d753b40.jpg

However, I’m more excited about OneUI 4.1.1 than Fold 4. Maybe due to the fact the upcoming Fold 4 won’t see any drastic changes compared to the Fold 2 and 3.

IMO, the biggest leap was from the original Fold to the Fold 2… that’s when I had to jump on board. Inner display saw an improvement removing that ugly right-sided notch and added a hole punch instead. And then the most drastic change came from the outer display… enlarging the screen to fit the entire display.

Probably, the biggest leap from the Fold 3 to the Fold 4… is the camera, which is the only reason why I’m upgrading. I have a feeling Samsung will cover that longer in the presentation. But I’m coming from a Fold 2… so, I’ve interesting in using the S-Pen.

Haven’t used an S-Pen since my Note 10+ days… I enjoyed using it to navigate around OneUI and I’m certain there’s more features that’s been added during that time.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I’m curious… what are your reasons for giving up on the Fold and going back to the regular slab?

Mainly the camera. On both the 2 and 3, low light and marco shots, were subpar. That and the built in S-pen slot made me decide to trade to the S22 Ultra. So if the Fold 4 gets good reviews on the camera, I'll probably go back.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Mainly the camera. On both the 2 and 3, low light and marco shots, were subpar. That and the built in S-pen slot made me decide to trade to the S22 Ultra. So if the Fold 4 gets good reviews on the camera, I'll probably go back.
Agreed about the camera! Samsung hasn’t really put forth an effort to add better camera tech to the Fold series, all Galaxy Folds up to this point had average cameras compared to the S series. And that’s what I’m looking forward to with the Fold 4… hopefully there’s some good trade in value for my Fold 2.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Will the camera be up to par with the Galaxy S22 Ultra? If not I cant see myself trading up to the 4 from the 3.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Will the camera be up to par with the Galaxy S22 Ultra? If not I cant see myself trading up to the 4 from the 3.
Umm.. not necessarily up to par with the S22 Ultra, but maybe on the level of the S22/Plus. And before the Fold series lacked behind current version of the S series.

I believe Fold 2 and 3 cameras are on par with the S10 series… which was released 3 years ago.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What Samsung really needs to do is for these devices to fold flat. No gaps or slant, flat. The Chinese can do it. Come on Samsung, don't be stubborn with your crease. Admit it that the Chinese are doing a better job now, and copy it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
What Samsung really needs to do is for these devices to fold flat. No gaps or slant, flat. The Chinese can do it. Come on Samsung, don't be stubborn with your crease. Admit it that the Chinese are doing a better job now, and copy it.
I unequivocally agree! I wish Samsung would copy the Oppo Find N and just be done with it, luckily Google is on that road map… but won’t have any Galaxy features I‘ve become accustomed to. I plan on purchasing the Fold 4… however, I’ll have to consider my options when Google enters the foldable market.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I am still just not feeling the form factor.

I would be willing to put up with the delicate construction, bad battery life, and mid range cameras, if the outer screen was shorter, and wider.

Reactions: jamezr

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Looks like everything is in this one.. I suppose. Are you planning on pre-ordering a Flip 4?
Probably, still not sure though. I have a fold 3 that I never use and want to trade that in. Flip 4 is one I'm eyeing, depends on what the trade in promos are like. I have a razor and love the design, but looks like Motorola is going to be copying the flip design, so might as well go with an actual flip.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
9dcb9dc19656e3279300dbb96a23cb38.png

I’m debating between these two… leaning toward the Beige/Cream, but I want something different than the typical Black phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.