Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Battery size is apparently staying the same which is a bit of a worry. But until battery tech improves, I dont see how they can really do anything about it. Cant make the Fold thinner, wider, with better cameras, and a bigger battery. That just doesnt work.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Battery size is apparently staying the same which is a bit of a worry. But until battery tech improves, I dont see how they can really do anything about it. Cant make the Fold thinner, wider, with better cameras, and a bigger battery. That just doesnt work.
I think battery will consistently be a thorn for the Galaxy Fold… given the design of it.

The fundamental aspect of it is that it’s a folding device… practically two slabs of phones piece together. Therefore thinnest will always be the measuring stick going forward. And by that logic, battery will take a hit. I would prefer Samsung take a different approach… maybe they will do something different (sliding out screen device).

I actually prefer Microsoft approach to the folding design, however… their software angle is horrible and I don’t think Android 12L will fix it. But on Android 12L front.. with Fold 4 potentially carrying OneUI 4.1.1. I’m hoping Samsung revamp the Notification Drop Down to a two column view similar to Android 12L.

442b99ce3c2c47fbbd6018ce862fdf5a.png

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

I might have to think really hard about whether to go with the Pixel Fold or Galaxy Fold come this fall. My thoughts are when it comes to design... Pixel Fold might win, but in terms of features... Galaxy Fold.

Rumors has it that Pixel Fold might have an Oppo Find N design, for which... I'm fond of. But Galaxy Fold 4 will have better specs and features. I'm leaning towards going with the Fold 4 given that I like all that comes with One UI specifically Good Lock. But that Oppo Find N design is going to be beauty especially with a nice touch of Pixel UI.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Personally I would be have zero trust in a first gen foldable by Google. Look at all the hardware issues they have had with something as basic as a slab smartphone. Samsung are almost in their 4 gen of the Z Fold and it’s just now starting to be something that’s durable enough for a normal user.

To each their own, but I’m out on any Google device on release date. I want to see 3 or 4 months for them to flush software issues out and for hardware issues to reveal themselves.

Reactions: 5105973 and nfl46

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I really hope they make it more squat, and wide when folded, with a 4/3.layout, on the front, and a flagship camera.

Was tempted by the fold 3, but I hate the form.factor.

Definitely going to hold out for a foldable like the oppo.

Might even consider going back to one plus if they released one.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I really hope they make it more squat, and wide when folded, with a 4/3.layout, on the front, and a flagship camera.

Was tempted by the fold 3, but I hate the form.factor.

Definitely going to hold out for a foldable like the oppo.

Might even consider going back to one plus if they released one.
The F3 is 1.249 aspect ratio vs 1.333 for 4:3 layout that's just 7.6mm (6%) wider that the 4:3 aspect ratio, hardly earth shattering difference :) and arguably makes portrait reading easier

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My husband loves his Z Fold 3. The only complaint I’ve heard so far is he wants a better camera on it. I’m watching these rumors for him.

I’m happy in flat slab land with my S22 Ultra. A Z Flip 3 or 4 would be fun to play with, but I don’t need one.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My husband loves his Z Fold 3. The only complaint I’ve heard so far is he wants a better camera on it. I’m watching these rumors for him.

I’m happy in flat slab land with my S22 Ultra. A Z Flip 3 or 4 would be fun to play with, but I don’t need one.
Better cameras sounds like it's happening but to replace my ultra it will need a pericope lens. I enjoy my fold 3 but plan to keep it at least 2-3 years I feel

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019

Sounds like me. I want a Z Fold 3 or flip to play with, but my S22 Ultra is more than enough and works great!

Reactions: 5105973

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Step in the right direction, but still disappointingly tall, and narrow
True. But it appears that's what a large majority of users want for the outer display... it helps provide a one-handed experience and gives the inner display a better aspect ratio.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of the Oppo Find N design... but judging from the Reddit Fold community (for which I know that doesn't count for community worldwide) users doesn't care for the inner display. Because when initially unfolded Oppo Find N user is in landscape mode compared to portrait on the Fold, which seems to go against the user experience.

And I can understand that, because I prefer using the inner display in portrait mode.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
True. But it appears that's what a large majority of users want for the outer display... it helps provide a one-handed experience and gives the inner display a better aspect ratio.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of the Oppo Find N design... but judging from the Reddit Fold community (for which I know that doesn't count for community worldwide) users doesn't care for the inner display. Because when initially unfolded Oppo Find N user is in landscape mode compared to portrait on the Fold, which seems to go against the user experience.

And I can understand that, because I prefer using the inner display in portrait mode.
I still haven't used a folding device as a daily driver yet. However I would assume that I would prefer to use the outer screen most of the time.

Having it be unusably slim is a non starter.

Reactions: jamezr

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Finally we get better look of the Fold 4 design... not surprised Samsung has taken S22 camera design and implemented to the Fold 4. What I'm waiting to see is whether rumors of a 108mp camera is true... that would be a huge upgrade for Fold users. Disappointed by the lack of silo for an S-Pen, but it's not a deal breaker.

In additon to the hardware, I'm curious to see what Samsung will do with OneUI 4.1.1 as well... should be an exciting time for Fold users come this fall.

Reactions: The Game 161

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I still haven't used a folding device as a daily driver yet. However I would assume that I would prefer to use the outer screen most of the time.

Having it be unusably slim is a non starter.
Right! When I had the Fold...this was my biggest complaint. The outer display was just too narrow to use. Having to actually open the device (unfold it) every time I wanted to use my phone was just too much of a PITA.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Dunno about other fold users but I use the front display like 1% of the time. Granted I use this basically as my tablet
I have been using the F1,2 and 3 continuously and the the outer screen is seldom used, you just get use to flipping it open :)

Perhaps if your a big call user then yes dialing etc with outer screen I can see for some but given other interactions with watches or car etc for music even then its hardly needed

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have been using the F1,2 and 3 continuously and the the outer screen is seldom used, you just get use to flipping it open :)

Perhaps if your a big call user then yes dialing etc with outer screen I can see for some but given other interactions with watches or car etc for music even then its hardly needed
I don’t flip it open at all… I keep it open lol.

Even if I receive a phone call… I use my Galaxy Buds to take the call and when it comes to audio I can use my Galaxy Watch to control playback when my Fold is in a sleeve.

I feel I have optimized my Fold usage with accessories that heightens it.. from a portable monitor to use with DeX, portable bluetooth keyboard, Buds Pro for audio purposes and Galaxy Watch to be an extension to it.

The amount of buzz I get as soon as I take the Fold out of my sleeve is insane and it’s one of those things you can’t put a value on. I didn’t buy it to flash it around and be a show-off, but I’m not going to lie and not be a huge fan of what Samsung has pulled off.

I’m all in… immensely excited for the Fold 4.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
They look like the same picture? is that the point or am i missing something.

This might give you a better idea of the differences.

45559f0c4dc79ea93b4de040c50d471a.jpg

The Fold 4 is slightly shorter and wider, but only slightly. The inner screen is going to be more squarish.

But there’s a potential that the Fold 4 will have 2 variants.. 12GB/16GB RAM, I’m definitely going to try for the 16GB.

Reactions: AppleFanatic10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.