Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
from sounds the camera upgrade is basically normal S22 level not ultra level.

I would say this would be a good upgrade for fold 2 users but not for fold 3. basically seems very close to same as fold 3. very minor improvements.
I do not see it that way :)

Almost every aspect has had a refinement and given most are only paying $2-400 to trade up from a F3 which gives you another 1+1 years warranty and screen coverage, a new case and pen, free screen saver replacements and a generous E voucher, that makes it almost a bargain for us techies :D

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
This is soooo tempting.
dd5859c74597209bd89d66f6aad6cec8.jpg

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It looks good, but its still not ready for me yet. I'm thinking around Fold 6, I'll be willing to buy one. That crease would annoy me, especially since I paid nearly $2,000 unlocked.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It looks good, but its still not ready for me yet. I'm thinking around Fold 6, I'll be willing to buy one. That crease would annoy me, especially since I paid nearly $2,000 unlocked.
iPhone users felt the same about the notch, but over time… adjusted to it.

I went with the Beige and I’m not paying 2k for it, because I’m doing a trade in with my Fold 2… I’m paying $759 (took advantage of the educational discount).

This is soooo tempting.
Go for it!

I don’t really care for the Galaxy Watch 5... I prefer the bezels on my Watch 4, so I’m not upgrading.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States

I went with the Beige and I’m not paying 2k for it, because I’m doing a trade in with my Fold 2… I’m paying $759 (took advantage of the educational discount).

Go for it!

I don’t really care for the Galaxy Watch 5... I prefer the bezels on my Watch 4, so I’m not upgrading.
you are still paying 2k for it, what did you pay for the Fold 2 to now trade it in?

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
In the UK the pre order bonus is pretty poor.

Despite this and my poor experience with Samsung customer service during my Fold 2 issues, I have pre ordered the Fold 4 alongide the Watch 5 Pro.

Have been using my Note 10 Plus for the last 6 months and just miss the Fold. Had no interest in the S22 Ultra as that was essentially the same as my Note 10 Plus. It also looked identical.

Not sure if I will keep the Watch 5 Pro as having used the Watch 3 previously, it usefulness was extremely limited. However, couldn't resist the 25% discount on the Watch 5 Pro if pre ordered with the Fold 4. The Watch 5 pro is also easily the best looking Smart Watch made so far. The Apple Watch is so damn fugly in comparison.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

Go for it!

That’s totally different. I’d gladly wait until Samsung make’s further improvements in future generations. I’m sure they will eventually get rid of the crease - hopefully by Fold 6.

And regardless, you’re still paying more than $759, unless that Fold 2 was completely free when you purchased it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I do not see it that way :)

Almost every aspect has had a refinement and given most are only paying $2-400 to trade up from a F3 which gives you another 1+1 years warranty and screen coverage, a new case and pen, free screen saver replacements and a generous E voucher, that makes it almost a bargain for us techies :D
If you’re in US sure lol

Certainly not if you still having to pay £13-1400

I’ve come away more impressed with flip 4 lol both are refined I agree. Outer display is a step forward

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
In the UK the pre order bonus is pretty poor.

Despite this and my poor experience with Samsung customer service during my Fold 2 issues, I have pre ordered the Fold 4 alongide the Watch 5 Pro.

Have been using my Note 10 Plus for the last 6 months and just miss the Fold. Had no interest in the S22 Ultra as that was essentially the same as my Note 10 Plus. It also looked identical.

Not sure if I will keep the Watch 5 Pro as having used the Watch 3 previously, it usefulness was extremely limited. However, couldn't resist the 25% discount on the Watch 5 Pro if pre ordered with the Fold 4. The Watch 5 pro is also easily the best looking Smart Watch made so far. The Apple Watch is so damn fugly in comparison.
Yeah sucks in UK

Most get for trade in is £720.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
you are still paying 2k for it, what did you pay for the Fold 2 to now trade it in?
I think you and @nfl46 missing the point. The trade in values helps bring the price down ridiculously…. I know you are looking at it rudimentary.. ”hey, you paid 1k for the Fold 2… trading it in and now spending $800, that’s roughly 2k.”

But factoring without Samsung incentives and if I was to pay retail for both devices during the time it would be nearly 4k. So, yeah… technically you are right, I’m paying 2k. But that’s in the span of 2 years and do you think Apple would offer those kind of incentives to their customers?

That’s totally different. I’d gladly wait until Samsung make’s further improvements in future generations. I’m sure they will eventually get rid of the crease - hopefully by Fold 6.
My point is... You know how much polarizing Apple users thought of the notch. It was heavily criticized by the public at launch and it was mocked for being a bad design choice.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the iPhone is an amazing device. And I’m not trying to attack the iPhone because I was first in line for the iPhone X. But reviewers and writers made the notch into a big deal until it wasn’t.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I think you and @nfl46 missing the point. The trade in values helps bring the price down ridiculously…. I know you are looking at it rudimentary.. ”hey, you paid 1k for the Fold 2… trading it in and now spending $800, that’s roughly 2k.”

But factoring without Samsung incentives and if I was to pay retail for both devices during the time it would be nearly 4k. So, yeah… technically you are right, I’m paying 2k. But that’s in the span of 2 years and do you think Apple would offer those kind of incentives to their customers?

My point is... You know how much polarizing Apple users thought of the notch. It was heavily criticized by the public at launch and it was mocked for being a bad design choice.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the iPhone is an amazing device. And I’m not trying to attack the iPhone because I was first in line for the iPhone X. But reviewers and writers made the notch into a big deal until it wasn’t.
Why are we making this an Apple vs Samsung debate? I simply said I’m going to wait until the Fold 6.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Why are we making this an Apple vs Samsung debate? I simply said I’m going to wait until the Fold 6.
My apologies if you think I'm making this into a debate. I'm simply stating the crease isn't such a big deal as you might think. But it's all subjective... because I was worried about the crease and watched plenty videos of people discussing it.

However, I decided to take the plunge and try it for myself. Not sure if you actually gave it a chance and used it or judging it by what others are saying.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States

Carriers usually have incentives on iPhones.

I’d argue that the reason Samsung is constantly having incentives is because they are lagging in sales. Why else purposely lose money?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just ordered the Watch 5 Pro. Went with Gray Titanium instead of the same old black. Trading in my Watch 4 Classic.
Free Wireless Charger Duo. And $50 credit. Couldn't get nothing besides the the other two adapters for $50. I already have the Wireless charger Duo and a 65W adapter from my S22 Ultra purchase. I'm in no shortage of chargers. LOL

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 1.01.09 PM.jpg

Carriers usually have incentives on iPhones.

I’d argue that the reason Samsung is constantly having incentives is because they are lagging in sales. Why else purposely lose money?

Samsung does this with a lot of their flagship products when you purchase direct from them. I got a free SoundBar and $150 credit when I purchased a TV direct of them years ago. And Samsung is basically the most sold brand of TVs right beside LG. So yes, it's marketing for better sales, but not desperation. And I highly doubt Samsung is losing money from incentives.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Damn. That does look good NGL.

I am saved by the fact that I will be out of town for the entire period when it will ship, so I am going to pass.

I would like to check out the watch 5, but not sure if I want to give up the rotating bezel. 3 day battery is tempting though.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Samsung Fold 4 crease looks like a joke compared to the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2. Unbelievable, the crease is almost invisible and that front screen beautiful. Also the inner screen without a camera is how it always should have been.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Samsung Fold 4 crease looks like a joke compared to the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2. Unbelievable, the crease is almost invisible and that front screen beautiful. Also the inner screen without a camera is how it always should have been.
Yeah, but it looks quite large. I think Samsung direction with the Fold series seems more aligned with the Oppo Find N... thats why the inner display is more squared off on the Fold 4.

And I wish there wasn't a crease on the Fold . But it's manageable and it doesn’t annoy me, I rather Samsung focus on battery improvements like fast charging speeds or better camera tech cause 10MP selfie on the outer display could be better (haven't changed in 3 years).

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Yeah, but it looks quite large. I think Samsung direction with the Fold series seems more aligned with the Oppo Find N... thats why the inner display is more squared off on the Fold 4.

And I wish there wasn't a crease on the Fold . But it's manageable and it doesn’t annoy me, I rather Samsung focus on battery improvements like fast charging speeds or better camera tech cause 10MP selfie on the outer display could be better (haven't changed in 3 years).
The front screen on the Samsung Fold 4 is still to narrow for my liking. Also the new hinge mechanism is just meh. That thing still has a gap while closed. If the Oppo Find N came out in Europe I would instantly buy it. Rumors had it that the Find N2 will on the other hand.

Reactions: Healer Flame

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The front screen on the Samsung Fold 4 is still too narrow for my liking. Also the new hinge mechanism is just meh. That thing still has a gap while closed. If the Oppo Find N came out in Europe I would instantly buy it. Rumors had it that the Find N2 will on the other hand.
Yeah, Fold 4 outer screen is still narrow... But it’s improved. I’m out in the US… only potential foldable might enter the market here is Pixel Fold and I’ll consider that option.

But the reason I’m upgrading is camera improvements and slightly wider front screen. And Samsung offering 1k for my Fold 2 is certainly welcoming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.