Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Thanks and glad Samsung took good care of you. I may try to reach out to Samsung one more time and plead my case because I could understand if I bricked the phone due to negligence or clumsiness, but I literally unplugged the charging cable and it started dying. Has to be a design flaw. If I knew it was on life support I wouldn't have pulled the plug, lol. It definitely can't stand up to 200,000 folding actions like they market it.

Last edited:

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Samsung Support gave me the cold shoulder. I asked if they could goodwill the diagnostic fee as I love the phone and have never had a phone fail so dramatically after 18 months but no-go. Samsung actually said instead of repair that I should buy a new device. They conformed the Fold4 has no trade-in value since it currently does not power on.

I am tempted to open up the Fold4 myself just to study what went wrong. I am not going to just toss it in the trash can. I am disappointed in Samsung's response, although really they have no legal obligation to help me beyond 12 months. Still, it would've been nice to get some assistance for one of their flagship Fold devices, especially since this is not an isolated case and there are many other reports of the same behavior online. Fortunately, some others experienced it during their warranty coverage or had additional insurance.

Normally, something like this would sour me on folables but the Fold4 is still hands down the best phone I've ever had and I don't want anything else except another Fold (with insurance this time).

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I haven't pulled the trigger on the Fold5 yet. I am on the fence after multiple conversations with Samsung Support. If I buy a 512GB Icy Blue Fold5 from Samsung.com, the best price they will offer (I'm a Masters student) is $1631. However, Amazon's Samsung Store sells it for $1519, and I can get it down to about $1443 with the 5% Amazon credit card discount. Mind you, this is the U.S. Amazon Samsung Store, yet Samsung Support is telling me those unlocked phones are "international" versions and not eligible for Samsung Care+ coverage. What the heck?!?!

So Samsung won't cover a phone sold from the Samsung Store Amazon site?? As much as I want another Fold, Samsung's support policies are making it hard for me to commit to the purchase. I thought we have 60 days to add Samsung Care+ to any new Samsung phone, but I'm getting conflicting information from Samsung Support people.

Another option is to walk into a BestBuy and have them price match Amazon and add insurance through GeekSquad, but BestBuy.com doesn't have any 512GB Icy Blue models! They only have 256GB or 1TB, and not in the color I want. I wonder if the universe is trying to steer me away from another foldable.

Last edited:

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
New wrinkle to the story. I've been researching the issue online and stumbled on a YouTube video where the guy suggests tapping the Fold 4 all over to dislodge and knock connections back into place. As ridiculous as it sounds many posts in the comment section said it helped even though they too were skeptical about it at first.

So I start tapping like a maniac and it reminds me of the old days when you'd shake an old Nintendo cartridge or blow onto the contacts to get the game working, lol. To my utter dismay, the Fold4 now is able to charge again, lol, and gets into the recovery screen. It still won't boot to the home screen but the fact that it powers on means it can be traded-in! Whether it's worth trading in is another matter but maybe I can use Odin or ADB sideload to flash the stock ROM and get the phone back to a usable state.

20240413_133722.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Zorori

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
For the reasons you noted above is why I think a repair would be a lot cheaper than you have been quoted ie a simple loose cable should not be +$500 imo

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Hey All,

After two years of very mild use (at least the folding and unfolding), I am starting to get bubbles on the interior screen (I assume from the factory installed screen cover).

Does anyone know if Samsung will replace it (free?)? I am based in NY, so I could go to their Manhattan customer center, if it is still there in the meat packing district.

My plan is to get the Fold 6 - IF and only IF - the aspect ratio is changed to make it more useful without opening it up.

Thanks,
R

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
For the reasons you noted above is why I think a repair would be a lot cheaper than you have been quoted ie a simple loose cable should not be +$500 imo
I hear you, but part of the problem is they dont sell just individual ribbons or cables for the main displays. The cables are integrated into the back of the screens so you have to replace it all. I bought a used car one time that the seller had let sit in her garage for a while after her husband passed away. Unbeknownst to her rats had chewed through some wires in the engine compartment. Lexus didn't make individual wires for each one that was needed so it required replacing the entire wiring harness. It would be great if every component could be easily replaced but it depends on the design.

Last edited:

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Hey All,

After two years of very mild use (at least the folding and unfolding), I am starting to get bubbles on the interior screen (I assume from the factory installed screen cover).

Does anyone know if Samsung will replace it (free?)? I am based in NY, so I could go to their Manhattan customer center, if it is still there in the meat packing district.

My plan is to get the Fold 6 - IF and only IF - the aspect ratio is changed to make it more useful without opening it up.

Thanks,
R
That is great yours lasted two years. I am reading the factory inner screen protector often starts to peel after a year. My original lasted 10 months. Samsung offered to replace the screen protector for free but I was worried the tech might not be as careful so i just ordered a kit on Amazon for $15 and did it myself. It is not any more challenging than applying a screen protector to a slab phone, just takes a little more patience and care about the alignment.

Give Samsung a call or online chat. If they wont help you out then consider DIY.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I hear you, but part of the problem is they dont sell just individual ribbons or cables for the main displays. The cables are integrated into the back of the screens so you have to replace it all. I bought a used car one time that the seller had let sit in her garage for a while after her husband passed away. Unbeknownst to her rats had chewed through some wires in the engine compartment. Lexus didn't make individual wires for each one that was needed so it required replacing the entire wiring harness. It would be great if every component could be easily replaced but it depends on the design.
According to ifixit the cables across the hinges are modular and can be replaced and not part of the screens, if it's them that are the culprit :)

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
According to ifixit the cables across the hinges are modular and can be replaced and not part of the screens, if it's them that are the culprit :)
Oh, that's interesting. The repair guy explained that the cable is integrated, and I even watched a YouTube tear down of the Fold4 and the main screen appeared to have an integrated cable. Are you sure the iFixIt was for the Fold4? Now you piqued my curiosity and I'll go watch the iFixIt video.

Someone in the Bay Area is selling their broken Fold4 for $150. I considered buying theirs and swapping the working parts into my Fold4. I am going to take the advice of my much wiser 12-year-old daughter and keep using the Note8 until the Fold6 is released. In the meantime I'll research how to repair the Fold4.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Oh, that's interesting. The repair guy explained that the cable is integrated, and I even watched a YouTube tear down of the Fold4 and the main screen appeared to have an integrated cable. Are you sure the iFixIt was for the Fold4? Now you piqued my curiosity and I'll go watch the iFixIt video.

Someone in the Bay Area is selling their broken Fold4 for $150. I considered buying theirs and swapping the working parts into my Fold4. I am going to take the advice of my much wiser 12-year-old daughter and keep using the Note8 until the Fold6 is released. In the meantime I'll research how to repair the Fold4.
Definitely the fold 4, it's noted in the text notes, so no need to watch the video 🙂

As you have the Note 8 as standby, a quote from samsung even if you do not go ahead with the repair would be covered by selling for parts etc

If the repair is < say $300 then it's worth it likely as your trade in will be better than that

Reactions: NeonNights

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I don't think I've expressed it, thank you for all the help and suggestions @SteveJUAE

So I only found the short iFixIt video but watched a couple of other tear down videos that show the hinge flex cable you mentioned earlier. Seems you have to disassemble everything to get at the flex cables, but doable with lots of care and patience.

I've opened up phones before and replaced the display on my HTC M7 way back in history, but am a little apprehensive about removing the foldable display without damaging it. Assuming the flex cable is the only part I need to replace, it would suck to be successful at the task only to end up cracking the inner display in the process.

I originally planned to trade-in the Fold4 and upgrade to the Fold6 this summer anyways. If the Fold4 was still an expensive paper weight and I had nothing to lose then, yea, I could see the fun in taking it apart and trying to get it to work again. But the Fold4 now powers on and has trade-in value again. If I were to repair the Fold4, and get it fully working again, it would only be to trade it in 3-4 months later. At this point the Fold4 has unblemished displays and it powers on, which satisfies trade-in requirements. I would hate to jeopardize that now.

August seems to far away for the Fold6. It is pretty frustrating using the Note8 but at least I have a working phone for the time being. I know I'll regret "trading up" to a Fold5 now with the Fold6 on the horizon. It is said "patience is a virtue", and apparently I do not possess it. The irony is it takes time to develop patience.

Last edited:

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
So the Fold4 is deteriorating again. It will power on to Recovery Mode, but won't charge again. As soon as I unplug the cable it will power off. Once I insert the charging cable it will boot to Recovery Mode. I stopped by a uBreakiFix shop for a free consult and they think it's a bad charging IC or board. So my Fold4 may have multiple issues (flex cable, charger board, etc). The inner display does not power on, which could be related to the flex cable, charging module, or entirely something else.

The listing for the bricked Fold4 is no longer showing in FB Marketplace, so I no longer have the option of buying a cheap Fold4 and swapping parts.

I am considering buying a used Fold5 for $800 or less, with the expectation that Samsung will probably give a trade-in value of $800 or more towards the Fold6 in a few months. In essence, free use of a Fold5 for a few months until the Fold6 is released. My only concern is buying a used Fold5 and getting scammed with a blacklisted IMEI or something. Is it safer to buy from places like Swappa or the MacRumors Marketplace than FB Marketplace? Any other opinions out there or pitfalls I should be aware of?

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I really tire dealing with chat reps from Samsung Support and Samsung Shop.

As I was perusing used Fold5 online, I had a thought...why not just try the S24 Ultra for a few months. Find a good deal and trade it in later for the Fold6 or whatever. So I go to Samsung's website, there's a $150 off the 256GB model of the Titanium Green only (that's fine, the green was my first choice anyways). Multiple sites mentioned this $150 promo, but Samsung's site doesn't reflect the discount in the cart. Instead, they tell me I have to get the 1TB despite their own website still promoting the $150 off 256GB Titanium Green! And if that wasn't annoying enough, the Titanium Green won't deliver until May 17...over a month from now. Why , oh why?? Samsung just doesn't want my money.

What I find interesting is I use the S Pen regularly with the Note8 (and will probably do the same with an S24 Ultra), but I didn't really use the S Pen (when I had one) with the Fold4. It seemed the larger screen of the Fold4 didn't really require the precision of a stylus. Kind of makes me second guess the desire for built-in S Pen on the Fold6 and I would probably rather have thinner chassis, less weight, and/or longer battery life.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 8.21.37 PM.png

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
The S24 Ultra didn't seem worth it so I bought an open box mint-condition 256GB Fold5 on Swappa instead. Confirmed the IMEI is good with Verizon, and verified the serial/IMEI is still eligible to add SamsungCare+. It listed for $775 and final cost came out to $842, which I didn't think was too bad considering I can probably get $800 for it as a trade-in towards a Fold6 in a few months.

I perused FB Marketplace and most listings within 100 miles wanted more money for the Fold5. The only ones that cost less had some issue or damage. I almost bought an unlocked Fold5 locally but backed out when Samung site flagged it as ineligible for SamsungCare+. It was either an international model or it was first activated more than 60 days ago.

Here's an interesting tidbit that I learned from Asurion. Apparently, my claims have been automatically denied because you have to wait 30 days to file a claim. The Verizon employee also told me to wait 30 days but I was impatient. Well, in my mind, 30 days later doesn't really change the facts and sequence of events. The only difference is my broken Fold4 will just sit on the desk longer. I don't know if waiting 30 days really would've made a difference or not, but just sharing it in case it helps someone else in the future. I will continue to keep an eye out for cheap broken Fold4 listings online and maybe someday I'll be able to restore my Fold4 with parts from a donor. Until then I look forward to my semi-new Fold5 arriving soon!

Oh and lastly, Verizon Tech Support was all prepared to repair/replace my Fold4, through the open enrollment protection plan, without needing a 30-day wait like Asurion but what got in the way was the fact my Fold4 has a 1/4-inch crack on the back (not on any screen nor camera). That crack was created when I dropped the Fold4 onto the kitchen tile in the first month. The crack formed despite a Spigen thin case. The case didn't show any damage and instead transmitted all the force right through to the phone. If the case did its job then Verizon would've replaced my malfunctioning Fold4. I can't believe that little crack from month one came back to bite me. Trade-in and repairs are very strict nowadays. Repair shops won't touch a phone if it has any cracks because they don't want to risk making things worse and having to replace even more parts. A crack anywhere majorly devalues you're trade-in value too. And when they say trade in "any phone, in any condition", the small print still requires the phone to hold a charge and power on.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The S24 Ultra didn't seem worth it so I bought an open box mint-condition 256GB Fold5 on Swappa instead. Confirmed the IMEI is good with Verizon, and verified the serial/IMEI is still eligible to add SamsungCare+. It listed for $775 and final cost came out to $842, which I didn't think was too bad considering I can probably get $800 for it as a trade-in towards a Fold6 in a few months.

I perused FB Marketplace and most listings within 100 miles wanted more money for the Fold5. The only ones that cost less had some issue or damage. I almost bought an unlocked Fold5 locally but backed out when Samung site flagged it as ineligible for SamsungCare+. It was either an international model or it was first activated more than 60 days ago.

Here's an interesting tidbit that I learned from Asurion. Apparently, my claims have been automatically denied because you have to wait 30 days to file a claim. The Verizon employee also told me to wait 30 days but I was impatient. Well, in my mind, 30 days later doesn't really change the facts and sequence of events. The only difference is my broken Fold4 will just sit on the desk longer. I don't know if waiting 30 days really would've made a difference or not, but just sharing it in case it helps someone else in the future. I will continue to keep an eye out for cheap broken Fold4 listings online and maybe someday I'll be able to restore my Fold4 with parts from a donor. Until then I look forward to my semi-new Fold5 arriving soon!

Oh and lastly, Verizon Tech Support was all prepared to repair/replace my Fold4, through the open enrollment protection plan, without needing a 30-day wait like Asurion but what got in the way was the fact my Fold4 has a 1/4-inch crack on the back (not on any screen nor camera). That crack was created when I dropped the Fold4 onto the kitchen tile in the first month. The crack formed despite a Spigen thin case. The case didn't show any damage and instead transmitted all the force right through to the phone. If the case did its job then Verizon would've replaced my malfunctioning Fold4. I can't believe that little crack from month one came back to bite me. Trade-in and repairs are very strict nowadays. Repair shops won't touch a phone if it has any cracks because they don't want to risk making things worse and having to replace even more parts. A crack anywhere majorly devalues you're trade-in value too. And when they say trade in "any phone, in any condition", the small print still requires the phone to hold a charge and power on.
Why not list your F4 for parts say $200 and see if you get any takers :)

FYI Many other countries will give a minimum $100 for a broken phone

Last edited:

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Why not list your F4 for parts say $200 and see if you get any takers :)

While worth considering, I don't really need the extra $200 (if I can even sell it for that). I refreshed the firmware with Odin and it says successful but I'm still stuck in a boot loop. ADB sideload gets stuck verifying package. So even if I address the broken hardware, I'm still missing the software piece. The engineer in me is not ready to give up yet.

Someone on FB Marketplace listed their broken Fold4 for $125 but I missed my chance on that. I am hoping something like that comes along again so I can piece together a working Fold4 to serve as a spare phone or future trade-in.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
While worth considering, I don't really need the extra $200 (if I can even sell it for that). I refreshed the firmware with Odin and it says successful but I'm still stuck in a boot loop. ADB sideload gets stuck verifying package. So even if I address the broken hardware, I'm still missing the software piece. The engineer in me is not ready to give up yet.

Someone on FB Marketplace listed their broken Fold4 for $125 but I missed my chance on that. I am hoping something like that comes along again so I can piece together a working Fold4 to serve as a spare phone or future trade-in.
Yeah, if I were you… I’ll wait it out.

i know that spare Note 8 you have is annoying to use… but you have maybe 3 months until the Fold 6 release (in July) and then there will be a couple of options available for you. Lower priced Fold 5 or some good incentives for the Fold 6.

Luckily, I don’t have any major issues with my Fold 4… I can see it’s not 100% fully opening up. I think it’s due to that common issue where something is in the hinge… but I’m not super irritated by it yet. I might end up going to Samsung in June to see what they say about it.

But I’m on track to buy a Fold 6… just hoping Samsung has something special up their sleeve for it. Because it appears the outer screen will only increase slightly and absolutely no camera upgrades (UDC, outer screen front facing camera and main camera remains the same).

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Thanks, @Ludatyk. I picked up a mint-condition Fold5 from Swappa that should arrive Wednesday. Main reason was price. It was $842 after all taxes and fees and I figure Samsung will give $800-1000 on trade-in when the Fold6 releases. Essentially, I'll be able to use a Fold5 close to free for a few months. If the Fold6 is a dud then I'll just hold onto the Fold5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludatyk

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Fold5 from Swappa arrived today! I've been setting it up to my liking and the battery and performance are stellar! I didn't think the Fold5 was much of an upgrade based on reviews but in-person I appreciate all the little improvements that make it feel more refined and a justified upgrade over the Fold4.

The irony is I should've upgraded my Fold4 when the Fold5 released and avoided the whole fiasco of the past three weeks. With trade-in deals and early promos I probably would've paid the ssame amount out of pocket as I did now, but enjoyed the added improvements and noticeable performance and battery bump. Instead, I tried to save money by holding onto my still-fantastic Fold4 and it blew up in my face. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. I could not have predicted the Fold4 dying after just 18 months. Love the Fold5 slim S Pen case!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Fold5 from Swappa arrived today! I've been setting it up to my liking and the battery and performance are stellar! I didn't think the Fold5 was much of an upgrade based on reviews but in-person I appreciate all the little improvements that make it feel more refined and a justified upgrade over the Fold4.
Glad it all worked out for you.

The irony is I should've upgraded my Fold4 when the Fold5 released and avoided the whole fiasco of the past three weeks. With trade-in deals and early promos I probably would've paid the ssame amount out of pocket as I did now, but enjoyed the added improvements and noticeable performance and battery bump. Instead, I tried to save money by holding onto my still-fantastic Fold4 and it blew up in my face. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. I could not have predicted the Fold4 dying after just 18 months. Love the Fold5 slim S Pen case!
To each their own. I understand you trying to rationalize it and everything... but adding insurance to the Fold4 could have helped as well.

I purchased insurance with my Fold4, haven't put it to use yet... but if anything were to happen I'd be in the position to get it sorted out. And as much as I like the Galaxy Fold, its my favorite device that I use... but having insurance is essential (imo).

Reactions: NeonNights
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.