Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Really enjoying it (my first folding phone) so hopefully it lasts me until either Fold6 or if the Pixel Fold 2 looks good.
I opted for Care+ this time around... so, if anything happens I'll be able to get it resolved. Looking at the reddit thread, plenty stories of Fold4 users shipping it off to get it fixed and receiving a Fold5.

What are the things that you enjoy about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: UltraInstinct

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I opted for Care+ this time around... so, if anything happens I'll be able to get it resolved. Looking at the reddit thread, plenty of stories of Fold4 users shipping it off to get it fixed and receiving a Fold5.

What are the things that you enjoy about it?
I didn't buy from Samsung and not sure they do Care+ in the UK anyway.

Basically just love the build quality and the inner screen is so good. Having a phone I can text on one handed in public which can then open into a tablet at home is such a game changer.

Reactions: Ludatyk

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I would love to have just the one device but until they bring in user-replaceable batteries my workload is just too heavy for it. I would end up destroying the battery within 12 months if I used a phone all day and then opened it up into a tablet on an evening.

I sold my Fold 4 after 10 months and bought the S23 Ultra which I use alongside a Tab S9. It's the perfect pairing for me currently but I look forward to investigating the folding world again sometime in the future.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I would love to have just the one device but until they bring in user-replaceable batteries my workload is just too heavy for it. I would end up destroying the battery within 12 months if I used a phone all day and then opened it up into a tablet on an evening.

I sold my Fold 4 after 10 months and bought the S23 Ultra which I use alongside a Tab S9. It's the perfect pairing for me currently but I look forward to investigating the folding world again sometime in the future.
I don’t think I’ll ever do a one device for everything… especially being a tech enthusiast.

Although, I have a Galaxy Fold.. I would still keep another device that has more screen real estate, whether it’s a tablet or laptop.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I got really frustrated with battery life and the screen swapped to a 13 pro. I might revisit in a year or two
That's interesting. I was the opposite and went from a 13 Pro to the Fold 4. Will most likely upgrade to the Fold 6.

Just upgraded my wife and daughter to the 15 Pro and 15, respectively. While both those iPhones are nice, they're too basic for me and don't meet my multitasking needs. I've had a 12 Pro Max too and don't plan to return to iOS until Apple makes a foldable iPhone.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's interesting. I was the opposite and went from a 13 Pro to the Fold 4. Will most likely upgrade to the Fold 6.

Just upgraded my wife and daughter to the 15 Pro and 15, respectively. While both those iPhones are nice, they're too basic for me and don't meet my multitasking needs. I've had a 12 Pro Max too and don't plan to return to iOS until Apple makes a foldable iPhone.
I'll be happy to see to a foldable iPhone, but I don't think that would move the needle for me. I'll need to see what features Apple offer in a foldable.

Most of my family and friends have iPhones... they tend to give me the "side-eye" (in a joking manner) when I pull out my Android phone, but I've been under the foldable umbrella for 3 years now. So, they get it... can't get enough of the Galaxy features (S-Pen, Sound Assistant and multitasking).

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I'll be happy to see to a foldable iPhone, but I don't think that would move the needle for me. I'll need to see what features Apple offer in a foldable.

Most of my family and friends have iPhones... they tend to give me the "side-eye" (in a joking manner) when I pull out my Android phone, but I've been under the foldable umbrella for 3 years now. So, they get it... can't get enough of the Galaxy features (S-Pen, Sound Assistant and multitasking).
True, true. There needs to be some major software improvements in iOS/iPadOS to go along with a foldable iPhone.

The Pixel Fold was a decent first attempt by Google but it's the OneUI features by Samsung that really make the Galaxy Fold series shine.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Ditto. I am at 13 months and there really was no need to upgrade to the Fold 5. However, I am intrigued by the OnePlus Open and hope it spurs Samsung to make the Fold 6 really special.
There's also competition from Google with their foldable as well... so, I'll be shocked if the Fold 6 is some modest upgrade from the Fold 5. And don't get me wrong... the Fold 5 was a solid upgrade to the Fold 4.

But it wasn't as huge as I would of liked... so I'm anticipating something really special too. And that Snapdragon gen 3 that's gonna be inside it.. will take it to another level. And it appears Samsung & Qualcomm have a partnership that allows for them to get the best chips exclusively for Galaxy phones.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
There's also competition from Google with their foldable as well... so, I'll be shocked if the Fold 6 is some modest upgrade from the Fold 5. And don't get me wrong... the Fold 5 was a solid upgrade to the Fold 4.

But it wasn't as huge as I would of liked... so I'm anticipating something really special too. And that Snapdragon gen 3 that's gonna be inside it.. will take it to another level. And it appears Samsung & Qualcomm have a partnership that allows for them to get the best chips exclusively for Galaxy phones.
While the Pixel Fold is indeed an option, I don't really consider it a true contender against the Fold 5...or even the Fold 4. Based on reviews, the Pixel Fold is slower, has shorter battery life, and the software really holds it back and wastes the extra screen space when unfolded.

I have three apps open at once on a regular basis and that's not even an option on the Pixel Fold, at least not right now. The multi-window implementation of OneUI suits my needs better but I also appreciate OpenCanvas on the OnePlus Fold. It is a clever and practical approach to three simultaneously active apps, even if you see mostly two at a time.

If I was in the market again for a foldable, it would be between the OnePlus Fold or Fold 5. The first-gen Pixel Fold is not even a consideration for me because it didn't move the bar and is simply not good enough to justify the price. I would probably lean towards the OnePlus Fold over the Fold 5 if buying one today. OnePlus has a real winner on its hands and really did their homework. However, in the back of my mind is the concern for broken pixels like MKBHD experienced during normal use of the OnePlus Fold.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
While the Pixel Fold is indeed an option, I don't really consider it a true contender against the Fold 5...or even the Fold 4. Based on reviews, the Pixel Fold is slower, has shorter battery life, and the software really holds it back and wastes the extra screen space when unfolded.
Heck, some reviews call the Pixel Fold the best foldable in the market… especially when it launched. Even MKBHD favored it over the Fold 5. Users favor it due to the cover (outer) display, camera and the Pixel experience.

I have three apps open at once on a regular basis and that's not even an option on the Pixel Fold, at least not right now. The multi-window implementation of OneUI suits my needs better but I also appreciate OpenCanvas on the OnePlus Fold. It is a clever and practical approach to three simultaneously active apps, even if you see mostly two at a time.
I like the option to use multiple apps at the same time.. but for the most part, I use two. I rarely use 3. But the Sound Assistant is one of those features... I use regularly.

And I agree, that OpenCanvas is a savvy way to have three apps onto a screen. Kudos to OnePlus for doing something different!

If I was in the market again for a foldable, it would be between the OnePlus Fold or Fold 5. The first-gen Pixel Fold is not even a consideration for me because it didn't move the bar and is simply not good enough to justify the price. I would probably lean towards the OnePlus Fold over the Fold 5 if buying one today. OnePlus has a real winner on its hands and really did their homework. However, in the back of my mind is the concern for broken pixels like MKBHD experienced during normal use of the OnePlus Fold.
Um.. I’ll still choose the Galaxy Fold. Primarily for the Good Lock module features… if I could somehow import it to the OnePlus Open, then obviously I’ll go with it. There’s no denying that the aspect ratio is better on the OnePlus Open, but the amount of years Samsung optimized for the foldable experience is something to consider as well.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Um.. I’ll still choose the Galaxy Fold. Primarily for the Good Lock module features… if I could somehow import it to the OnePlus Open, then obviously I’ll go with it. There’s no denying that the aspect ratio is better on the OnePlus Open, but the amount of years Samsung optimized for the foldable experience is something to consider as well.

I'm gonna waffle and agree with you the Galaxy Fold is the better choice. I forgot about GoodLock and use that too. The Galaxy Fold is also a known quantity and I've used it long enough to trust its durability. The OnePlus is a really compelling foldable but if the Fold 6 comes with a wider cover screen and slims down then I'll stick with Samsung.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Using a Fold 4 and to me the big difference is the software. Samsung has done a lot to make the foldable experience do various things.

I can understand people like MKBHD, who have huge hands, favor something wider when folded, but for me the narrower folded size was a big reason to go with the Fold 4. Very close to the iPhone 12 Mini. I wouldn't mind if the Fold 6 was marginally wider cover screen though.

Not going back to Apple until they offer a foldable.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Using a Fold 4 and to me the big difference is the software. Samsung has done a lot to make the foldable experience do various things.

I can understand people like MKBHD, who have huge hands, favor something wider when folded, but for me the narrower folded size was a big reason to go with the Fold 4. Very close to the iPhone 12 Mini. I wouldn't mind if the Fold 6 was marginally wider cover screen though.

Not going back to Apple until they offer a foldable.
Same here. If Apple beefs up iOS with proper foldable support then I'll come back, but not till that happens.

I do like the balance on the Fold 4 and the narrower cover display makes one-handed use easier. However, my knuckles sometimes cramp and seize up when two-handing the cover display. It's not a huge problem though and easily fixed by using the device unfolded. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.