Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Well, as @sunking101 suggested use Edge Panel. I understand you want things to function exactly like the iPad with SlideOver. But sometimes it doesn't work like that and as I recall SlideOver detracts viewing from the main app.

Edge Panel is probably your best bet for situation like these... you can put whatever conversational app in the Edge Panel. Invoke the edge panel to use the conversational app whenever and add it as a SplitScreen window. Heck, you can even make app pairs from the Edge Panel.

Yeah I tried that and it is way too time consuming and cumbersome every time I do something to add a split screen and then remove it if I want to have the other app in full screen.

It doesn’t need to be exactly like SlideOver but I want to have the same functionality so that I can get to a chat app as quickly and in as few steps and then be able to hide it until I want it again. Right now I have to swipe and press once to start typing and swipe once to hide it so it’s around that level I’d want to be. Much more than that and I might as well consider the feature not being there and switch apps into full screen.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah I tried that and it is way too time consuming and cumbersome every time I do something to add a split screen and then remove it if I want to have the other app in full screen.

It doesn’t need to be exactly like SlideOver but I want to have the same functionality so that I can get to a chat app as quickly and in as few steps and then be able to hide it until I want it again. Right now I have to swipe and press once to start typing and swipe once to hide it so it’s around that level I’d want to be. Much more than that and I might as well consider the feature not being there and switch apps into full screen.
Tbf, I really don't use split screen. I mostly invoke the edge panel to use the Pop-Up Window feature as a quick access method and remove it when I'm done.

And I practically stopped using SlideOver once Stage Manager was announced (not a fan of the narrow window anymore).

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Tbf, I really don't use split screen. I mostly invoke the edge panel to use the Pop-Up Window feature as a quick access method and remove it when I'm done.

And I practically stopped using SlideOver once Stage Manager was announced (not a fan of the narrow window anymore).

Yeah I can understand that, don’t like stage manager at all myself though. Might as well use a MBP if I used stage manager. My iPad Pro can’t even run my external monitor in 3440x1440, it runs it in the wrong resolution so the monitor has to scale it. Which was one of the reasons I was looking into going Fold and a Tab S8+, being able to stop lugging around my MBP or work laptop to log into work and ditch all my Apple units.

I also want to cut down on the number of the devices and a Fold and Android tablet would be the best at that but I got to figure out if the workflow suits me.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Got the March update.
I got the update as well... received it about couple days ago.

So, how's the Fold holding up so far? I have been pleasantly surprised with the new S-Pen feature which has me really contemplating on buying the S-Pen Pro. Specifically for the bigger size.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I got the update as well... received it about couple days ago.

So, how's the Fold holding up so far? I have been pleasantly surprised with the new S-Pen feature which has me really contemplating on buying the S-Pen Pro. Specifically for the bigger size.
Well, my Fold4 has been a very good experience. Like you, I may not upgrade to the 5? For me, s pen compatibility for the outer screen is something I really want so who knows when that happens?

Currently, I have the s pen pro and find it a real comfortable writing tool. However, I don't carry it all of the time so I use the regular s pen more. Also, I don't really care about having a silo in the fold because I like the larger s pen than a silo sized pen and my samsung case's s pen holder works just fine.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Just received the Oppo Find N2 for around €1207. I must say this foldable is impressive to use. This design is really great. Samsung will have a solid competitor as soon as Google and Oneplus come out with the same form factor.
c847fc01-d0d4-4ca7-8fdb-a803ee225354_feca133a.jpg

a6ac5884-5db2-4972-9ec2-d2d20530deee_1126e908.jpg

b559b0c1-9f41-4761-9c94-b05ecba7fb67_1126e908.jpg

Last edited:

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Just received the Oppo Find N2 for around €1207. I must say this foldable is impressive to use. This design is really great. Samsung will have a solid competitor as soon as Google and Oneplus come out with the same form factor.
c847fc01-d0d4-4ca7-8fdb-a803ee225354_feca133a.jpg

a6ac5884-5db2-4972-9ec2-d2d20530deee_1126e908.jpg

b559b0c1-9f41-4761-9c94-b05ecba7fb67_1126e908.jpg
Still, no stylus support. But, it looks good. Since I'm in the US, I'm not getting it but it's nice to see the competition.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
For some reason I can't get this feature to work, not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Haven’t gotten the April update myself yet. I wanna see how well the feature does compared to Apple’s version…

Perhaps, its tied to a Gallery update?

sporez

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Nashville
Haven’t gotten the April update myself yet. I wanna see how well the feature does compared to Apple’s version…

Perhaps, its tied to a Gallery update?
Updated gallery from the galaxy store and still nothing. 🤔 Long pressing photos does absolutely nothing!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just received April security update and battery life seems great already, got the update yesterday.

Standby time is an instant improvement... my battery life dropped only 2 fo 3 percent (i stream podcast while i sleep), normally those numbers are in the double digits.

Question... do Fold users change their DPI? Mine is set to 420..

Reactions: Bkdodger

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Any Fold users jumping ship to the Pixel Fold?

View attachment 2200866
As much as I love the pixel fold front display and cameras being better fold 4 is simply superior for what I use mine for and bezels I can't go from this fold to that. They are hard to unsee. Fold 4 simply has better multitasking options and more options like adjustable windows and good lock

Pixel fold having last year's chip is a mistake I feel certainly when fold 5 may launch in two months with the incredible SD gen 2

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I had to share this stand I picked up from Amazon by elitehood... I wanted something that can sit above my BlackWidow keyboard (I have a USB switch that allows me to share the keyboard with my Windows PC).

The build is sturdy and firm.. well-made, and it’s so dope!
IMG_5106.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5103.jpeg

My only gripe with the stand.. I don’t like the “feet” holder to it, I think it’s too big for the Fold. I might tweak it and remove the feet/holder.. that way I could add some magsafe-style element to hold the Fold onto it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.