Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Have my mint Black Fold 5 512GB unlocked in the Marketplace for $900. Comes with Galaxy 4 S-Pen and a sealed pair of Buds Pro 2 (black).

Going to Gazelle on Monday if doesn't sell by then!

Reactions: super chimp

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Do any of you use google messages? If so are you having issues with it? I've been using Google messages pretty much since I got this phone and now I'm having issues.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Do any of you use google messages? If so are you having issues with it? I've been using Google messages pretty much since I got this phone and now I'm having issues.
Umm... a couple days ago, I was trying to get a two-step authentication code and never got it.

I didn't think nothing of it, but I rarely use Google Messages tbh. Not that I don't like the app... it's just my social circle is iMessage users.

Reactions: scott craft

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Umm... a couple days ago, I was trying to get a two-step authentication code and never got it.

I didn't think nothing of it, but I rarely use Google Messages tbh. Not that I don't like the app... it's just my social circle is iMessage users.
What app do you use for text messages?

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I use Google Messages app for text messages, but I hardly get them. The extent of receiving text messages comes from two-step authentication codes.
I text a reasonable amount. Whatever is going on with Google messages I hope it gets fixed. I've been trying different apps and haven't found one I like as much.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I text a reasonable amount. Whatever is going on with Google messages I hope it gets fixed. I've been trying different apps and haven't found one I like as much.
I’ve thought about using the Beeper app… since it has support for Google Messages.

They recently updated their app to support tablets and foldables (two-column layout), which had me intrigued… but I don’t really text much to make use of it.

Reactions: scott craft

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I’ve thought about using the Beeper app… since it has support for Google Messages.

They recently updated their app to support tablets and foldables (two-column layout), which had me intrigued… but I don’t really text much to make use of it.
I'll check that one out. Thanks.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Have my mint Black Fold 5 512GB unlocked in the Marketplace for $900. Comes with Galaxy 4 S-Pen and a sealed pair of Buds Pro 2 (black).

Going to Gazelle on Monday if doesn't sell by then!
D'oh. Good price. If only I was in the market a month and a half earlier. I didn't even think to check Marketplace here but will from now on.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
My Fold4 died a sudden death after unplugging it from car charger a few weeks back. I documented it in the Fold4 thread.

I've never had a phone die so spectacularly as the Fold4 after just 18 months and I was naive not to have insurance coverage on it. Despite the experience the Fold4 was easily the best phone I've ever had, and after using a spare Note8 for a few weeks I'm back with a mint-condition Fold5 off of Swappa.

The Fold5 is noticeably faster and smoother than the still great Fold4, and I love the slim S Pen case. The Fold5 is definitely insured this time around.

I slapped two magsafe rings onto the back of the Fold5 and it holds very securely in the car without the S pen slot getting in the way. Overall, the Fold5 with S pen case and metal rings still maintains the stock 10-11 grams lighter weight compared to the Fold4 with slim kickstand case. I was careful with the ring placement to make sure wireless power share still works.

The Fold5 was $842 and I can probably get $800-1000 on trade-in when the Fold6 releases. If the Fold6 is a dud then I'll just keep the Fold5.

IMG_20240425_140751.jpg

IMG_20240425_140703.jpg

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The Fold5 is noticeably faster and smoother than the still great Fold4, and I love the slim S Pen case. The Fold5 is definitely insured this time around.
How's the new Galaxy AI features?

I slapped two magsafe rings onto the back of the Fold5 and it holds very securely in the car without the S pen slot getting in the way. Overall, the Fold5 with S pen case and metal rings still maintains the stock 10-11 gram lighter weight compared to the Fold4 with slim kickstand case. I was careful with the ring placement to make sure wireless power share still works.
I finally got on board with using magsafe ring, but one major complaint with it... S-Pen interferes with the magnet. And because of that issue... it's prevented me from going completely entrenched with Mag safe stands (or accessories) lol.

Only bought a magsafe clip mount to use as a stand.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
How's the new Galaxy AI features?
Haven't played around with any of it yet, lol. I am intrigued by the photo editing features and ability to remove/replace objects -- this is one area where having a precision stylus is especially handy, but I haven't tested the feature yet.

I finally got on board with using magsafe ring, but one major complaint with it... S-Pen interferes with the magnet. And because of that issue... it's prevented me from going completely entrenched with Mag safe stands (or accessories) lol.

Only bought a magsafe clip mount to use as a stand.
That is interesting. I haven't encountered any issues with MagSafe rings on both the Fold4 and Fold5 so far. Whereas the Fold4 only required one ring, I needed to stack two rings for the Fold5 on account of the ridge created by the S Pen. You can't really tell in the photo I posted earlier but the Fold5 has two metal rings attached. It took a half an hour to cut, file down sharp points, and align on the case but it was all worth it and I think it looks better than the one I did on the Fold4. It took that long because I had to redo it.

I bought a 6-pack of rings from Amazon (3 black and 3 silver). I started with the black rings but the scissors left some really sharp points that my finger kept grazing when naturally holding the Fold5. I ripped it all off and started over, making sure to file down the pointy bits on the silver rings. I almost stacked three rings but two was enough for the Fold5. With a single ring I could tell the hold wasn't as strong on the wireless MagSafe car mount I use and the S Pen protrusion prevented full magnet contact, but with two rings it's perfect! I also have a MagSafe kickstand that comes in handy on planes.

1714086829941.png

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Haven't played around with any of it yet, lol. I am intrigued by the photo editing features and ability to remove/replace objects -- this is one area where having a precision stylus is especially handy, but I haven't tested the feature yet.
Supposedly, Samsung is bringing AI features with OneUI 6.1 next month for the S22 line, Fold 4 and Flip 4 users... so, I'm looking forward to trying the features out myself.

That is interesting. I haven't encountered any issues with MagSafe rings on both the Fold4 and Fold5 so far.
According to some reddit threads, it's a known issue. I wasn't aware of it until I purchased the MagSafe ring.

I bought a 6-pack of rings from Amazon (3 black and 3 silver). I started with the black rings but the scissors left some really sharp points that my finger kept grazing when naturally holding the Fold5. I ripped it all off and started over, making sure to file down the pointy bits on the silver rings. I almost stacked three rings but two was enough for the Fold5. With a single ring I could tell the hold wasn't as strong on the wireless MagSafe car mount I use and the S Pen protrusion prevented full magnet contact, but with two rings it's perfect! I also have a MagSafe kickstand that comes in handy on planes.
This is what I purchased... it's meant to be a MagSafe laptop mount, but I use it mainly as a kickstand. But I'm able to attach it to my Magic Keyboard with the magnet that's included for the mount.

IMG_6864.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.