Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Early rumors and what we want to see.

The Z Fold 5 may finally add on-board storage for the S Pen in addition to eliminating the crease.

I think this will be my first "foldable" purchase.

Last edited:

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
CES-photo-gives-us-an-early-peek-at-the-Galaxy-Z-Fold-5

Attachments

• CES-photo-gives-us-an-early-peek-at-the-Galaxy-Z-Fold-5.jpg
    CES-photo-gives-us-an-early-peek-at-the-Galaxy-Z-Fold-5.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 302

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I think the 4 main changes to the Fold 5 will be as follows..

1. Integrated S-Pen.
2. Less visible crease.
3. No gap when closed.
4. Slightly wider outer screen.

If these dimensions are accurate, it won't be hugely different size-wise than the Fold 4. I personally am a lot more excited for the Google Pixel Fold due to the form factor.

man-hinh-galaxy-z-fold5-khong-con-net-ngan-camera-khung-the-pixel-2.jpg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If these dimensions are accurate, it won't be hugely different size-wise than the Fold 4. I personally am a lot more excited for the Google Pixel Fold due to the form factor.
I don’t buy those dimension.. Samsung would be reverting back to the Fold 2/3 dimensions if that’s the case.

I think the trend going forward would be making the outer display wider… not making the outer display taller. That picture from the website seems like it’s from the Fold 2/3.

Reactions: aggie99

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I don’t buy those dimension.. Samsung would be reverting back to the Fold 2/3 dimensions if that’s the case.

I think the trend going forward would be making the outer display wider… not making the outer display taller. That picture from the website seems like it’s from the Fold 2/3.
I believe the dimensions can be accurate.

Here is a better article. It has the outer screen getting a touch wider. Nothing major.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I believe the dimensions can be accurate.

Here is a better article. It has the outer screen getting a touch wider. Nothing major.
It could very well be the dimensions, but I think it would be reverting back.

Yeah, its getting wider... but not as much as its getting taller. I'm not planning on getting the Fold 5 regardless, but I'm hoping that this isn't the final design. Because my guess they are experimenting with prototypes now... it won't go into production until May/April.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It could very well be the dimensions, but I think it would be reverting back.

Yeah, its getting wider... but not as much as its getting taller. I'm not planning on getting the Fold 5 regardless, but I'm hoping that this isn't the final design. Because my guess they are experimenting with prototypes now... it won't go into production until May/April.
I don't see these potential dimensions as reverting back. It's more or less the same size with the outer screen a touch wider.

I believe the design decisions are made far more in advance than that. IIRC iPhone prototypes are locked down to their final stage in something like 12 months prior to their release. I don't believe Samsung is still making design decisions about the Fold 5. If I had to guess the Fold 5 final design decisions were made sometime in August/Sept/Oct of 2022. And once they settle on a design it has to go through internal testing, etc. Hence why we tend to get accurate leak information for future smartphones in the 8-12 month range. These decisions are already set in stone more or less. Production will probably begin in the spring for a summer release.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't see these potential dimensions as reverting back. It's more or less the same size with the outer screen a touch wider.
Fold 2/3 is slighter shorter than the Fold 4… so, if those dimensions are accurate it would mean Samsung is reverting back because they are making the Fold 5 slightly taller.

a9a28116c173a1308751d4582ab7de97.jpg

I believe the design decisions are made far more in advance than that. IIRC iPhone prototypes are locked down to their final stage in something like 12 months prior to their release. I don't believe Samsung is still making design decisions about the Fold 5. If I had to guess the Fold 5 final design decisions were made sometime in August/Sept/Oct of 2022. And once they settle on a design it has to go through internal testing, etc. Hence why we tend to get accurate leak information for future smartphones in the 8-12 month range. These decisions are already set in stone more or less. Production will probably begin in the spring for a summer release.
Not all manufactures operate the same.

Samsung/Apple have to put the order in to the companies that build it as well as case manufactures… that’s how we normally get leaks. I recall awhile back when the S22U was getting leaked information and there were two potential camera modules that Samsung could of have gone with.

One leaked first and it was a blend of S20U/S21U/S22U (camera module was huge) that resulted in disapproval among the Samsung community, which surprisingly couple days later… another leak showed the one they actually went with. So, my point is… the design might not be final yet. But you are correct, production will begin in Spring and that’s when we will get accurate leak information.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Be interesting what they do with the cameras. I can see it staying the same and Samsung just changing the weight of the device to make it lighter. It is supposed to have a brand new hinge to help with this and to reduce the crease. S pen support would be great and I think I would upgrade for this to be fair.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I honestly think such hate towards the crease are by those that never used the Fold. I personally had no issues with the crease on The Fold 2 and 3. I personally would want a better aspect ratio.
Agree I only see it if it's horizontal with bright lights. And I barely feel it anymore. And I agree I don't like these narrow phones.

Reactions: 5105973

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I honestly think such hate towards the crease are by those that never used the Fold. I personally had no issues with the crease on The Fold 2 and 3. I personally would want a better aspect ratio.
If you flip the orientation of the Fold the crease is rather annoying when you touch the screen. To eliminate it or make it feel less tactile is a huge positive.

The problem I have with the Fold in general is that it's an awkward shape unfolded. It's too squarish. This is one of the reasons I think I'm gonna get the Fold Pixel. It works more like an iPad Mini in landscape orientation unfolded.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
gives the battery reasons people are getting with s23 ultra i'm sure fold 5 with a SD gen 2+ will be great. I really do hope they add S pen support in the device will see on that one.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
gives the battery reasons people are getting with s23 ultra i'm sure fold 5 with a SD gen 2+ will be great. I really do hope they add S pen support in the device will see on that one.
Tbf, if it's not the battery... it would be camera deciding why people choose the S23U over the Fold.

Battery life has been average for me and I tend to keep a portable charger whenever I need the extra juice... I choose the Fold because of the phone+tablet experience. And for that getting that experience, I'm willing to accept the trade offs (average battery life, narrow cover screen, thicker frame when closed, not the top-of-the-line camera system).

But if adding the silo decrease the battery capacity on the Fold 5... then I would prefer Samsung waiting to get that sorted out.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Tbf, if it's not the battery... it would be camera deciding why people choose the S23U over the Fold.

Battery life has been average for me and I tend to keep a portable charger whenever I need the extra juice... I choose the Fold because of the phone+tablet experience. And for that getting that experience, I'm willing to accept the trade offs (average battery life, narrow cover screen, thicker frame when closed, not the top-of-the-line camera system).

But if adding the silo decrease the battery capacity on the Fold 5... then I would prefer Samsung waiting to get that sorted out.
lets see what they can do not seen any rumours about battery reduced though unless missed something. I'm hoping the new hinge will allow more space for same battery and S pen

I've already misplaced my S pen for my fold 4. I like my Samsung case with built in stand very much so I don't want to take that off for the s pen holder.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I can deal with the no built in S-Pen, but at least make the inner screen ultra durable. I’ve exclusively use the S-Pen on the main screen due to the fear of damage with my fingers.

If Samsung can make the screen durable enough that I can use the inner screen just as I would with the outside screen, I’m happy.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I can deal with the no built in S-Pen, but at least make the inner screen ultra durable. I’ve exclusively use the S-Pen on the main screen due to the fear of damage with my fingers.

Wait a min... what do you mean by main screen? Because the S-Pen does not have any support for the cover (outer) screen...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
There’s just no good way to house the Spen without making the phone considerably wider or reducing battery size, neither of which are good ideas.
Yeah, that’s what I brought up with @The Game 161.

It’s going to be challenging to implement an S-Pen while trying to avoid it being any thicker than it already is. Because the battery hasn’t reached 5000 mAh, whereas both the Pixel 7 Pro and 23U reach that mark. And people tend to forget… an S-Pen slot potentially mean a price increase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.