Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Wait a min... what do you mean by main screen? Because the S-Pen does not have any support for the cover (outer) screen...
Main screen being the 7.6" inside screen. I call it the main screen whereas the 6.2" outside one is the secondary.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah, that’s what I brought up with @The Game 161.

It’s going to be challenging to implement an S-Pen while trying to avoid it being any thicker than it already is. Because the battery hasn’t reached 5000 mAh, whereas both the Pixel 7 Pro and 23U reach that mark. And people tend to forget… an S-Pen slot potentially mean a price increase.
I live in hope lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If there is no S pen then they really need to get it as thin and light as possible with basically no crease. That seems to be the direction others are heading at the moment. If they do this then it will still be a worthy upgrade I reckon.

Reactions: 5105973 and Tulani

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If there is no S pen then they really need to get it as thin and light as possible with basically no crease. That seems to be the direction others are heading at the moment. If they do this then it will still be a worthy upgrade I reckon.
Umm... I don't know.

I think majority of Fold 4 users might hold off... maybe some Fold 3 users because the crease have never been an issue, but perhaps the Fold 5 is targeted for non-Fold users who never tried it due to the crease (imo).

If anything, those who have been invested in the Fold series... care more about having a silo, longer battery life and top-of-the-line camera system. The crease tends to be brought up when people argue against having a Fold.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Umm... I don't know.

I think majority of Fold 4 users might hold off... maybe some Fold 3 users because the crease have never been an issue, but perhaps the Fold 5 is targeted for non-Fold users who never tried it due to the crease (imo).

If anything, those who have been invested in the Fold series... care more about having a silo, longer battery life and top-of-the-line camera system. The crease tends to be brought up when people argue against having a Fold.

Battery life will be great I’m sure with SD gen 2 plus. The cost of the device makes things very hard to justify to upgrade often

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm seeing more and more Folds in the wild now, even people that I know.

As for the Flip, although I liked it, I am realizing that its form factor just doesn't jive with modern smartphone usage. I actually saw a lady with a Flip, and she just opened it up all the time and carry it like a slab. Why? Because after the initial wow moment, having to open up the phone everytime you want to use it becomes an annoyance. And if you are going to open it all the time, might as well get a regular slab form factor.

The Fold works because it also have a fully functional screen at the front side so you can fully use the phone as a smartphone without having to unfold it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
so the only thing left to look forward to is just the improved crease?
Umm.. in addition to the improved crease, upgraded cameras.. perhaps? I'm skeptical of this... since they just updated the main camera to 50MP. But that newer chip should improve battery performance... which most Fold users desire.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I am still determined to make this my first indulgence with the Fold
may Samsung please throw in as much niceties as possible
i have reached saturation in buying iPhone

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm not surprised one bit.

Based off the Fold series history, Samsung will make minor changes to the Fold 4... its evident in the S23 series that nothing drastic had changed from the S22 series. And as tech enthusiast we look at visual changes as a way to justify the worthiness of an upgrade.

Apple has done this process for years and Samsung has finally realized maybe its better to scale back on making drastic changes for the sake of showing something "new." I know Fold users were hoping for a wider cover display... but I think we will see that next year.

Perhaps, the biggest difference we will see is a focus on eliminating the crease. And for consumers who were undecided about the Fold because of the crease... might give a try this time around.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Umm.. in addition to the improved crease, upgraded cameras.. perhaps? I'm skeptical of this... since they just updated the main camera to 50MP. But that newer chip should improve battery performance... which most Fold users desire.
My husband gets by with the battery life on his Fold 3. With the trade in debacle we are trying to get straightened out on the S23 Ultra transactions, I don’t think he is going to see a compelling reason to upgrade from his 3 this year, either. He may just run it until it dies rather than go through a trade transaction with Samsung again. We’d have to see what trade in service Best Buy offers.

sporez

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Nashville
I do find this news a bit disappointing as I think I would enjoy a form factor similar to the Find N2 with a shorter but wider cover display. But if they can just get the hinge to fold flat that in itself would make a big difference I think as the constant dust that sticks to the inner display on the fold4 drives me a little crazy. Hopefully a flat hinge would help eliminate that issue.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I do find this news a bit disappointing as I think I would enjoy a form factor similar to the Find N2 with a shorter but wider cover display. But if they can just get the hinge to fold flat that in itself would make a big difference I think as the constant dust that sticks to the inner display on the fold4 drives me a little crazy. Hopefully a flat hinge would help eliminate that issue.
You should consider the Pixel Fold when it's released. It's a better version of the Find N2.

Reactions: jamezr

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Well, it appears Fold 5 is getting a 6.2 inch display for the external (cover) screen... Not sure if Samsung plans to widen it as they did with it on the Fold 4, because the Fold 2 and 3 had the same size display.
Sigh, well guess either I'm sticking with my fold 3 for another year or getting the Pixel Fold if rumors are true that it is like the Find N. All Samsung had to do is keep the same dimensions open, but have it fold it the other direction.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm not surprised one bit.

Based off the Fold series history, Samsung will make minor changes to the Fold 4... its evident in the S23 series that nothing drastic had changed from the S22 series. And as tech enthusiast we look at visual changes as a way to justify the worthiness of an upgrade.

Apple has done this process for years and Samsung has finally realized maybe its better to scale back on making drastic changes for the sake of showing something "new." I know Fold users were hoping for a wider cover display... but I think we will see that next year.

Perhaps, the biggest difference we will see is a focus on eliminating the crease. And for consumers who were undecided about the Fold because of the crease... might give a try this time around.
Thing is samsung know the Have no real competition in the global market. It’s why Samsung don’t seem that fussed with these Chinese phones with better specs to their S line of phones they know people will tend to buy the Samsung due to availability

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Is this argument about the Oppo Find N2 wide external screen ergonomic or practical for one-handed use?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Is this argument about the Oppo Find N2 wide external screen ergonomic or practical for one-handed use?
I believe so. I actually think it would be better suited when unfolding since the user will be opening it up in landscape form.. but my argument against it is an issue that MrMobile brought up.

Some apps are not compatible in landscape orientation. Fortunately, Samsung has settings in place to help in these kind of situations... I've made portrait only apps rotatable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.