Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That front screen is ridiculous, especially now I've experienced how much I enjoy a wide screen.
I use mine daily and don't find the front screen ridiculous... should Samsung make it wider? Absolutely. But I wouldn't go elsewhere when I value the software features Samsung has provided for the Fold.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I use mine daily and don't find the front screen ridiculous... should Samsung make it wider? Absolutely. But I wouldn't go elsewhere when I value the software features Samsung has provided for the Fold.
I've been using the Oppo for a week now and to be honest, I haven't come across a feature that I would miss from Samsung. I even like the way you multitask, it's somehow better. Nowadays, all apps also scale with it. The best thing I think is the almost perfect square screen. whether you work in portrait mode or landscape, everything is almost the same. So you don't have to turn your phone when watching videos as an example.

Let alone if Google and OnePlus come up with a similar shape. Then I can tell you that a lot of Fold users will eventually switch. A Fold must be usable both on the outside screen and indoors, and Samsung's aspect ratio is simply laughable. That always bothered me on the Fold 2, so I had to open the screen 99% of the time, even for the most simple tasks, such as responding to a WhatsApp message. I'm glad I have a regular screen on the front.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I've been using the Oppo for a week now and to be honest, I haven't come across a feature that I would miss from Samsung. I even like the way you multitask, it's somehow better.
For me, features that I've grown accustomed to are Sound Assistant and the S-Pen. I've never really seen that advertised with the Oppo Find N.

Nowadays, all apps also scale with it. The best thing I think is the almost perfect square screen. whether you work in portrait mode or landscape, everything is almost the same. So you don't have to turn your phone when watching videos as an example.
I recall, Mr Mobile doing a video discussing how some apps are portrait only. So, when unfolding.. you'll have to orientate the phone to portrait. Not sure if you come across those issues.

That always bothered me on the Fold 2, so I had to open the screen 99% of the time, even for the most simple tasks, such as responding to a WhatsApp message. I'm glad I have a regular screen on the front.
Now, I agree... Fold 2 cover screen bothered me. But when I upgraded to the Fold 4... it made a huge difference to the point I can use the cover screen without any annoyances.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
For me, features that I've grown accustomed to are Sound Assistant and the S-Pen. I've never really seen that advertised with the Oppo Find N.

I recall, Mr Mobile doing a video discussing how some apps are portrait only. So, when unfolding.. you'll have to orientate the phone to portrait. Not sure if you come across those issues.

Now, I agree... Fold 2 cover screen bothered me. But when I upgraded to the Fold 4... it made a huge difference to the point I can use the cover screen without any annoyances.
Don't forget MS collaboration feature that surpass many of IOS eco and DEX are just some of many features on the Folds

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011

I don't think using the S-Pen is a priority for me when choosing a foldable (Oppo Find N2 supports it too). My S8 Ultra has it, but I hardly use it. It is true that in some apps the rotation is not correct. But you get used to it, I have no problem with that, it's quite easy to flip the screen. Especially the larger screen on the outside is highly recommended, you also make far fewer typing errors, typing is also much faster and the use of the outer screen ensures that you do not often have to open the inner screen.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But not with those rounded corners I want the more sharper S23 styling
Box shape similar to the Note series?

I think eventually Samsung will get to that point given Fold users want a silo for their S-Pen. But I’m not sure when that will happen… I doubt Samsung care to sacrifice battery performance just for the sake of adding a silo.

Reactions: 5105973

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Box shape similar to the Note series?

I think eventually Samsung will get to that point given Fold users want a silo for their S-Pen. But I’m not sure when that will happen… I doubt Samsung care to sacrifice battery performance just for the sake of adding a silo.
Yes the Note/S23 square corners :)

They may stand a chance with a silo if they adopt the much smaller Note series SPen

Reactions: 5105973

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 camera 'upgrades' just leaked
Fold users seem to gloss over the fact that Fold 4 was the FIRST time Samsung upgraded the camera tech on the Fold series… from 12MP to 50MP. It’s been 12MP for 3 generations.

So, there was little to no chance that Samsung will upgrade the camera tech this soon. If anything, I‘m more interested in the UDC technology… there hasn’t been any rumors regarding it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Fold users seem to gloss over the fact that Fold 4 was the FIRST time Samsung upgraded the camera tech on the Fold series… from 12MP to 50MP. It’s been 12MP for 3 generations.

So, there was little to no chance that Samsung will upgrade the camera tech this soon. If anything, I‘m more interested in the UDC technology… there hasn’t been any rumors regarding it.
Every release has focused on hinge and fold improvements and seems to take the lion share of budget and cost over cameras

I can only assume to keep price point down the cameras do not get the same TLC else it would jump up to a $2000 phone :(

Reactions: Ludatyk

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 camera 'upgrades' just leaked

sadly Z fold line i think samsung are either just getting too comfortable or they know putting in better tech would mean much more expensive which they won't do.

If this is the case it's hard to see this ever being main stream and honestly not sure it ever will.

ish4y

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
4364571a47c951a1d4e2221afa47c841.jpg

In my opinion, the Mix Fold 2 is the best designed foldable on the market.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
sadly Z fold line i think samsung are either just getting too comfortable or they know putting in better tech would mean much more expensive which they won't do.

If this is the case it's hard to see this ever being main stream and honestly not sure it ever will.
Hard to see it being main stream because what exactly? For not having the latest top-of-the-line camera tech?

Let’s compare that to the competitors of Google and Apple… in regards to Apple, they just recently upgraded their camera tech because its been 12MP for YEARS lol. And as to Google, they are the gold standard in point in shoot with 12MP and they‘ve been doing that entirely through software.

As @SteveJUAE mention, Samsung priority is on the hinge and folding (crease and durability of the screen). I think bringing the price down to where it’s not as expensive will help them reach main stream.

In my opinion, the Mix Fold 2 is the best designed foldable on the market.
I’m more into the Oppo Find N design… I favor that concept better. I like the smaller cover screen and unfolds to a (smaller) tablet.

I don’t understand the point in having a large cover screen… that would result in using the main screen less and less (imo). And if that’s the case… better off with a candy bar phone.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Remember people........the best Device will be a combination of various factors not just the hardware

Optimum look + optimum price + optimum camera + optimum software & updates + optimum battery = Best Foldable

Last edited:

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Remember people........the best Device will be a combination of various factors not just the hardware

Optimum look + optimum price + optimum camera + optimum software & updates + optimum battery = Best Foldable
I wholeheartedly believe and objective argument can be made for best device based on how a device performs the various functions of a smartphone, but alas, this is not how people, including so called "professional" tech reviewers, declare what is the best phone. These days, no point in discussing what is the best device out there. The arguments are old now. It's clear to most of us, It's always about what side have I taken, and that's the side with the best phone. It is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

*My own opinion, leans to Samsung's foldables. Hardware and software is as complete as it gets.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hard to see it being main stream because what exactly? For not having the latest top-of-the-line camera tech?

Let’s compare that to the competitors of Google and Apple… in regards to Apple, they just recently upgraded their camera tech because its been 12MP for YEARS lol. And as to Google, they are the gold standard in point in shoot with 12MP and they‘ve been doing that entirely through software.

As @SteveJUAE mention, Samsung priority is on the hinge and folding (crease and durability of the screen). I think bringing the price down to where it’s not as expensive will help them reach main stream.

I’m more into the Oppo Find N design… I favor that concept better. I like the smaller cover screen and unfolds to a (smaller) tablet.

I don’t understand the point in having a large cover screen… that would result in using the main screen less and less (imo). And if that’s the case… better off with a candy bar phone.
All because of price, durability and Samsung refuse to put their best tech in their most expensive device. I understand why they won’t but doing so makes it hard for most people to justify. The front display is still too narrow. Chinese brands seem to have this correct by being more like a normal phone.

those brands are able to put top cameras in their flagships given they are adding periscope lens in them. They are also releasing foldable with little to no crease. Maybe that changes this year with the fold 5 though.

for the a fold line to replace the S line they need to make the display on the front the same and have same camera tech but they won’t imo. That’s why it will always remain very much a small market for them

Don't get me wrong here foldables are very enjoyable and I'm typing this on the fold 4 and have no plans to stop using mine. I certainly can't see myself upgrading this year though not just for a less obvious crease

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
All because of price, durability and Samsung refuse to put their best tech in their most expensive device. I understand why they won’t but doing so makes it hard for most people to justify. The front display is still too narrow. Chinese brands seem to have this correct by being more like a normal phone.

those brands are able to put top cameras in their flagships given they are adding periscope lens in them. They are also releasing foldable with little to no crease. Maybe that changes this year with the fold 5 though.

for the a fold line to replace the S line they need to make the display on the front the same and have same camera tech but they won’t imo. That’s why it will always remain very much a small market for them

Don't get me wrong here foldables are very enjoyable and I'm typing this on the fold 4 and have no plans to stop using mine. I certainly can't see myself upgrading this year though not just for a less obvious crease
Think you need to look a little more closely how these non Samsung folderables achieved some things by like missing IP ratings on water resistance etc etc or how video aspect ratios are more compromised with wider front screens

Let alone availability, support and 0 Google services

Maybe Samsung should bring in a Fold 5 Pro/Max line for those that want the best of the best and realise if you want it all it comes at a price

Reactions: Ludatyk

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
For those that already have experience with these folds how good and responsive is the taptic engine?

Are vibrations the same or stronger than on ordinary slab phones?

Is the feedback the same folded/unfolded?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.