Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
There is debate on the narrow cover screen and silo for the S-Pen.

But we hardly ever discuss what features foldable owners want in terms of software features for next generation foldables... mainly we look for app optimization. But what specifically does that mean? Is that for 3rd party apps and if that's the case that should be targeted toward devs.

History normally indicates there will be a x.1.1 release specially for next generation foldables followed by major Android release. And it appears as if Android 14 will have some tablet/foldables targeted features... but mostly design in nature.

My wish for 5.1.1 or OneUI 6 (Android):

- Give us more than 2 recent apps under the taskbar

- Revamp the bubble multitasking (this needs to be rethought) especially when I close the bubble it should not terminate the app

- Fix notifications... I remember it was separated by conversations, regular alerts and silent alerts

- Open up Edge Panel to add more from the Galaxy Store

- Option for vertical scrolling in the App Launcher (OneUI)

- Full desktop extension support for Samsung Internet (based off Chromium... more needs to be added)

- Completely remove apps (kudos for giving us disabled option, but removing would be much better)

- Give us Google's Call Screen (I know this won't happen, but at least give us the option similar how you give users the option for Google Discover or Samsung Free when swiping left)

Reactions: Bkdodger and Tulani

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
There is debate on the narrow cover screen and silo for the S-Pen.

But we hardly ever discuss what features foldable owners want in terms of software features for next generation foldables... mainly we look for app optimization. But what specifically does that mean? Is that for 3rd party apps and if that's the case that should be targeted toward devs.

History normally indicates there will be a x.1.1 release specially for next generation foldables followed by major Android release. And it appears as if Android 14 will have some tablet/foldables targeted features... but mostly design in nature.

My wish for 5.1.1 or OneUI 6 (Android):

- Give us more than 2 recent apps under the taskbar

- Revamp the bubble multitasking (this needs to be rethought) especially when I close the bubble it should not terminate the app

- Fix notifications... I remember it was separated by conversations, regular alerts and silent alerts

- Open up Edge Panel to add more from the Galaxy Store

- Option for vertical scrolling in the App Launcher (OneUI)

- Full desktop extension support for Samsung Internet (based off Chromium... more needs to be added)

- Completely remove apps (kudos for giving us disabled option, but removing would be much better)

- Give us Google's Call Screen (I know this won't happen, but at least give us the option similar how you give users the option for Google Discover or Samsung Free when swiping left)
This direction of discussion would have been louder if many had bought foldables by now which seem not to be the case.
Like myself would be lucky to even come across someone who has it and in that case it is just seeing the outside hardware without testing how the software blends in.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This direction of discussion would have been louder if many had bought foldables by now which seem not to be the case.
Like myself would be lucky to even come across someone who has it and in that case it is just seeing the outside hardware without testing how the software blends in.
You got a point.

In the US, which Apple dominates the smartphone market... I've only came across one person with a Galaxy Fold. But it all depends on where an individual lives... I'm sure in South Korea where Samsung dominates the market, Galaxy Folds won't be seen as a rarity.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have bought my Galaxy S23 Ultra as a stop gap till the Z5 Fold is released, it may be that I even jump ship to the Pixel fold. Both very exciting devices, I can't wait. It will be hard though, I just didn't realise how good the S23 Ultra was, it's fabulous. Can I save enough from my pension to keep the Ultra and buy another phone? That may be the easy bit, convincing the missus that I personally need two phones when we also have 2 iPads and an iPad mini. Dare I experience her wrath?

I am sure someone here will convince me that it is worth it.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I have bought my Galaxy S23 Ultra as a stop gap till the Z5 Fold is released, it may be that I even jump ship to the Pixel fold. Both very exciting devices, I can't wait. It will be hard though, I just didn't realise how good the S23 Ultra was, it's fabulous. Can I save enough from my pension to keep the Ultra and buy another phone? That may be the easy bit, convincing the missus that I personally need two phones when we also have 2 iPads and an iPad mini. Dare I experience her wrath?

I can see that iPad mini disappearing with a new shiny phone in its place lol

• Haha
Reactions: daveathall

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

I personally regret ever buying iPads again.

They no longer have a place in my lineup given Apple’s continued refusal to open up iPad OS.

Time to just leave for these foldable (2in1) phones.

Reactions: daveathall

nintyuser

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I live in South Korea and there's some folds but not a whole lot(The price is around 2.5 millon won) I do see a good amount of Koreans with the Flip Z cause it's probably cheaper and the flip phone going on. Surprisingly with younger 20's, 30's and 40's there's a really good ratio of iPhones and iPads. The older men using folds on subways crack me up cause they are talking with the fold open instead of closed lol. 😆 no wrong way to do it
What's really interesting is Japan where the pixel is heavily promoted there in the cities but don't see a whole of them. I saw a pixel guy in Taipei, Taiwan. Even Taiwan 🇹🇼 is heavy iPhone users too.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaehaerys48

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I live in South Korea and there's some folds but not a whole lot(The price is around 2.5 millon won) I do see a good amount of Koreans with the Flip Z cause it's probably cheaper and the flip phone going on. Surprisingly with younger 20's, 30's and 40's there's a really good ratio of iPhones and iPads. The older men using folds on subways crack me up cause they are talking with the fold open instead of closed lol. no wrong way to do it
What's really interesting is Japan where the pixel is heavily promoted there in the cities but don't see a whole of them. I saw a pixel guy in Taipei, Taiwan. Even Taiwan is heavy iPhone users too.

Interesting

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
With the rumors pointing to a spec bump again it does suggest Samsung don’t need to do a lot year on year due to the cost of other main flagship folables. Xiaomi are said to be launching global but the rest will be that high people won’t buy it.

These Chinese brands are really leading from the front at the moment

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
With the rumors pointing to a spec bump again it does suggest Samsung don’t need to do a lot year on year due to the cost of other main flagship folables. Xiaomi are said to be launching global but the rest will be that high people won’t buy it.

The Chinese are only leading in their domestic market. And it’s not like they will be significantly cheaper if they saw international release. The Chinese flagships are now as expensive as Samsung’s internationally, or really close. It shows that doing business outside their home market does incur additional cost. If consumers are spending $1000 for a phone, the might prefer a known trusted brand like Samsung.

Reactions: nintyuser

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The Chinese are only leading in their domestic market. And it’s not like they will be significantly cheaper if they saw international release. The Chinese flagships are now as expensive as Samsung’s internationally, or really close. It shows that doing business outside their home market does incur additional cost. If consumers are spending $1000 for a phone, the might prefer a known trusted brand like Samsung.
By leading i'm talking from a design and and hardware point of view. The cost is very high to sell outside their market and why vivo 90 pro plus and x6 find pro won't be sold outside china. People want them to undercut samsung by alot to get people buy them as I get samsung are a brand that people know all about. However all this does is hurt moving tech forward as companies like samsung and even apple can just not rush out massive upgrades year on year where chinese brands are fighting hard for the most tech year on year

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
By leading i'm talking from a design and and hardware point of view. The cost is very high to sell outside their market and why vivo 90 pro plus and x6 find pro won't be sold outside china. People want them to undercut samsung by alot to get people buy them as I get samsung are a brand that people know all about. However all this does is hurt moving tech forward as companies like samsung and even apple can just not rush out massive upgrades year on year where chinese brands are fighting hard for the most tech year on year
Competition goes both ways. Apple and Samsung have established decent support for international markets. The Chinese have to at least provide something similar (warranty, repairs, software support, etc) if they want to play, instead of just dumping cheap stuff and running away when there are problems. So it is a good thing, forcing the Chinese to actually support their products. Eg. Oppo is starting to match Samsung in giving 4 Android upgrades for their future flagships.

These competitions are not hurting tech forward. It's just running its natural course. The one thing that majorly hurt competition was government interference, aka the Huawei ban. Huawei was one Chinese OEM that was really close in matching Samsung in hardware and software quality prior to the ban, giving Samsung a run for its money.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Like last year, Samsung gave foldables an upgrade in chip with the latest Snapdragon… I was thinking we might see Snapdragon 8 gen 3. But prior history tells us that foldables will have a modified Snapdragon chip.. not the next generation Snapdragon chip.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Competition goes both ways. Apple and Samsung have established decent support for international markets. The Chinese have to at least provide something similar (warranty, repairs, software support, etc) if they want to play, instead of just dumping cheap stuff and running away when there are problems. So it is a good thing, forcing the Chinese to actually support their products. Eg. Oppo is starting to match Samsung in giving 4 Android upgrades for their future flagships.

These competitions are not hurting tech forward. It's just running its natural course. The one thing that majorly hurt competition was government interference, aka the Huawei ban. Huawei was one Chinese OEM that was really close in matching Samsung in hardware and software quality prior to the ban, giving Samsung a run for its money.
by hurting I mean given less features and overall specs just because they know they don’t need to. You. Only have to look at the outer display of the fold 5 it’s just way too narrow compared to all the other foldables out there. Even as a fold 5 user I use my fold mainly opened up and as a mini tablet but if I was using it as my only device I would be annoyed using that display day in day out

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
by hurting I mean given less features and overall specs just because they know they don’t need to. You. Only have to look at the outer display of the fold 5 it’s just way too narrow compared to all the other foldables out there. Even as a fold 5 user I use my fold mainly opened up and as a mini tablet but if I was using it as my only device I would be annoyed using that display day in day out
Oh I get what you mean. Just look at that 4th gen crease. But if Huawei didn't get the banhammer, Samsung would've been on their toes sooner.

Reactions: The Game 161

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I am buying it

Attachments

• samsung-galaxy-z-fold-5-concept-1.jpg
    samsung-galaxy-z-fold-5-concept-1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 80
  • samsung-galaxy-z-fold-5-concept-3.jpg
    samsung-galaxy-z-fold-5-concept-3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 89
  • samsung-galaxy-z-fold-5-concept-2.jpeg
    samsung-galaxy-z-fold-5-concept-2.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 84

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011

Samsung arrogance can get them into trouble in the long run. More and more manufacturers offer foldables. More choice will certainly ensure that their share will decrease as a result. Samsung was the first, but I find that the implementation and form factor by an Oppo, Xiaomi, Vivo really appealing to me much more. I now have the Oppo Find N2 and I really like it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.