Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Made this for fold 2 so might as well get this going seeing we are close to 2021

Latest rumours for fold 3

S pen in the phone
Possible improved to IP65
Front display 6.21
Main 7.5
Under display camera

Still no news if we will see S21 cameras with periscope lens

Due to S pen the phone isn’t expected to be lighter or thinner

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
First! hehe. Looking forward to the ZF3, S pen, better screen, etc. The only phones that might give it a run for the money are the phones that roll out instead of fold, they retain the same thickness as a regular phone and don't have a crease. That also reminds me, I really wonder how the Fold 3 will handle the crease when using the S pen.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Made this for fold 2 so might as well get this going seeing we are close to 2021

Latest rumours for fold 3

S pen in the phone
Possible improved to IP65
Front display 6.21
Main 7.5
Under display camera

Still no news if we will see S21 cameras with periscope lens

Due to S pen the phone isn’t expected to be lighter or thinner
Day one purchase for me! Regardless of cameras. I love my Note 20 Ultra with the spen but I need a larger screen!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The S pen support is natural progress for the Fold. Let’s see how Samsung solve the issue of sharp pointer grazing a plastic screen multiple times a day.

I doubt these foldable would ever get an IP rating. Maybe IP53, but they would have to reinvent the hinge and totally seal the hinge and screen to get anything better.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
maybe but I didn't think they could get a display to work with an S pen this soon but that appears to be the case.

StevesSweater

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
an integrated S-Pen might actually be pretty cool. I do like the idea of having a foldable phone and it doesn't seem like Apple will deliver that for quite a while. Not sure if it is worth switching or if i should just use 2 phones, even though that kind of defeats the purpose of saving space with a foldable phone.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Not that stoked about the Fold 3. It seems like they aren't making major changes or improvements to the form factor. With better cameras and even an S-Pen, it feels like an "S" update. For first time buyers or S-Pen lovers it's perfect, but I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade. I just picked up a Watch3 and will probably upgrade it to a Watch4 when that comes out instead.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I'm more excited about the Oppo Find X 2021 than the Fold 3. I like the direction Oppo is taking things to be honest

Agreed. Rollable displays seem like the best form factor for fitting a big display in a small package without sacrificing too much.

Downside is, cases for that form factor will probably be just as bad the the current Fold cases.

Reactions: CheesegraterMac

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Talk of the Fold 3 being slimmer and lighter. I hope Samsung doesn't release a thick one early in June, but rather waits a couple months and releases a thinner one and gives Fold 2 users more reasons to upgrade. I would be very interested in that!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’m hoping we may see more rumours soon enough

under display camera and S pen might not be enough for me to upgrade. Camera ideally needs to have a periscope lens even if it’s the same camera system of note 20 ultra

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’m hoping we may see more rumours soon enough

under display camera and S pen might not be enough for me to upgrade. Camera ideally needs to have a periscope lens even if it’s the same camera system of note 20 ultra
We will get rumors when it's close to launch.. we are months away.

I know you are looking at the hardware aspect, and yeah.. that's certainly important. I'm curious as to how they plan to utilize the software. Samsung is doing well with some of their core apps... Samsung Internet, Messages (RCS is lacking), Phone, Contacts and My Files do well with optimizing for the Fold. Hopefully, Samsung has more to offer.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not that I'm in the running for a Fold3... I'm more interested in 4th gen.

But regarding the 3rd gen, S-Pen support and in-display camera.. obviously we gonna get a faster chip and improved camera. Design gonna be tweaked somewhat as far as trying to integrate S-Pen support and that in-display camera.

I'm really hoping for major changes with the front display... Samsung charging 2k for this phone. I'm sure they envision Fold owners to use the front display just as much as the main display. But the front display is so mediocre compared to the main display... its narrow to type on, only 60hz.

If anything... Samsung needs to shift their efforts into making the front display more usable. I avoid using the front display... its only for notifications. But one thing worth mentioning... I find it cool to be in this new category, so many improvements can be made... Samsung has only scratch the surface.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
We will get rumors when it's close to launch.. we are months away.

I know you are looking at the hardware aspect, and yeah.. that's certainly important. I'm curious as to how they plan to utilize the software. Samsung is doing well with some of their core apps... Samsung Internet, Messages (RCS is lacking), Phone, Contacts and My Files do well with optimizing for the Fold. Hopefully, Samsung has more to offer.

I hope they try and work closer with google as certain social media apps need work and need to be optimised better

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Looks dope, but I doubt Samsung puts that much camera tech in the next Fold. They normally downgrade in that area.
With murmurs that the Note line may be usurped by the Fold, this could be the year the Fold starts to transition into a Note, including the camera. We’ll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.