Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Be the dream phone but doubt we see the ultra camera set up

Thinking we see S21s cameras not ultra

IMO, they have to do something major to get users to upgrade, cause the Fold 2 is damn good. I doubt being S-Pen compatible is good enough to sway users.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wowwww. First time seeing this. This seems way cooler than a foldable tbh.

Those are nice but have their own negatives IMO. The biggest one for me is I open my Fold tons of times every day, sometimes multiple times in a row in a short period depending on what I'm doing. It would drive me absolutely nuts waiting for that rollable mechanism to open and close. I would most likely end up just not rolling it out anymore unless I knew I would be using it unrolled for a long time. Plus any durability issues are going to be magnified 1000x now that the screen is on the outside and completely exposed.

Don't get me wrong, personally I think rollable phones are going to be much more feasible than folding phones like the Fold 2 at the end of the day, but they still aren't perfect.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Those are nice but have their own negatives IMO. The biggest one for me is I open my Fold tons of times every day, sometimes multiple times in a row in a short period depending on what I'm doing. It would drive me absolutely nuts waiting for that rollable mechanism to open and close. I would most likely end up just not rolling it out anymore unless I knew I would be using it unrolled for a long time. Plus any durability issues are going to be magnified 1000x now that the screen is on the outside and completely exposed.

Don't get me wrong, personally I think rollable phones are going to be much more feasible than folding phones like the Fold 2 at the end of the day, but they still aren't perfect.

That was my exact initial thought too.

But on the Fold 2, the folding display feels like the main display while the front display feels secondary due to size.

On the Rollable phone, the unrolled display seems like a normal sized display. So IMO, it will be used as such, and users will roll the display out more leisurely vs a necessity. Now if the display size unrolled was slim like the Fold 2, I would agree 100% with your statement.

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
That was my exact initial thought too.

But on the Fold 2, the folding display feels like the main display while the front display feels secondary due to size.

On the Rollable phone, the unrolled display seems like a normal sized display. So IMO, it will be used as such, and users will roll the display out more leisurely vs a necessity. Now if the display size unrolled was slim like the Fold 2, I would agree 100% with your statement.

I don't disagree, if anything that kind of backs up my thoughts that I probably wouldn't unroll this unless I was using it that way for a long time, but that just brings me back to using a "regular" sized phone. Yeah it's definitely an advantages when using it closed over the narrow Fold 2, but I won't get to use the tablet sized screen very often.

But it's all just semantics and we are just nitpicking here, rollable screens will be great and I can't wait to try one out. I still think they are a better option overall and probably just have to get used to the mechanism.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But it's all just semantics and we are just nitpicking here, rollable screens will be great and I can't wait to try one out. I still think they are a better option overall and probably just have to get used to the mechanism.
Rollables a better option? I don't know. I actually prefer Huawei Mate X approach than Samsung Fold... I recall watching MrWhosTheBoss channel about this whole new concept for smartphones. He actually preferred Huawei approach mainly due to it being one display.

But I prefer the design because the front display isn't narrow compared to Samsung Fold. That's my major gripe with the Fold... I hardly use the front display because it's not user friendly. And with Huawei design they forgo the camera in the main display, which I think Samsung should remove for the Fold3. I have never used the main display camera for a selfie.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Rollables a better option? I don't know. I actually prefer Huawei Mate X approach than Samsung Fold... I recall watching MrWhosTheBoss channel about this whole new concept for smartphones. He actually preferred Huawei approach mainly due to it being one display.

But I prefer the design because the front display isn't narrow compared to Samsung Fold. That's my major gripe with the Fold... I hardly use the front display because it's not user friendly. And with Huawei design they forgo the camera in the main display, which I think Samsung should remove for the Fold3. I have never used the main display camera for a selfie.

I'm not decided either. Rollables have no crease, but then again the crease doesn't bother me at all, and it resolves the issue of the Fold being too narrow (although personally I like it narrow because I use it mainly one handed), and also gives a much thinner form factor. But I've already noted the shortcomings, having to wait for it to unroll every time you want to open it, and a screen that is exposed all the time. Huawei's design seems really nice, but also has the issue where the screen is exposed all the time, I'd be very nervous carrying that around.

Isn't the Fold 3 rumored to have an under display camera? It would be nice if they could eliminate the camera hole for sure, but I wouldn't want them to eliminate the camera as I do use it often.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Just watched MKBHD discuss the Huawei Mate X2!

Samsung take notes for the Z Fold3 please!?
It is absolutely amazing! How the hell did they manage to fit a properly sized smartphone screen on the front, a bigger screen inside and then also fit a 3x Telephoto and x10 Periscope and then still have the same sized battery as Z Fold 2 all in a phone that is only slightly bigger than Z Fold 2 while still being slimmer, lol. Incredible stuff.

Mate X2 is now a full fledged foldable that can completely replace the flagship we know in terms of hardware. Good to see this movement in Foldable, they are truly becoming mainstream now.

Last edited:

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
It is absolutely amazing! How the hell did they manage to fit a properly sized smartphone screen on the front, a bigger screen inside and then also fit a 3x Telephoto and x10 Periscope and then still have the same sized battery as Z Fold 2 all in a phone that is only slightly bigger than Z Fold 2 while still being slimmer, lol. Incredible stuff.

Mate X2 is now a full fledged foldable that can completely replace the flagship we know in terms of hardware.
Huawei have jumped a few generations in terms of the usability with the X2 whilst leapfrogging Samsung.. shame about the non Google UX.

Really hope Samsung rise to the challenge with the Z Fold3 as I am all ready to go foldable in the summer!

My rule is to always wait for the third iteration of new niche tech.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Huawei have jumped a few generations in terms of the usability with the X2 whilst leapfrogging Samsung.. shame about the non Google UX.

Really hope Samsung rise to the challenge with the Z Fold3 as I am all ready to go foldable in the summer!

My rule is to always wait for the third iteration of new niche tech.
Samsung will most certainly deliver something mouthwatering without a doubt, I have loved watching Samsung and Huawei trade blows with their devices, they have kept each other on their toes.

The Z Fold 3 will probably have a simialr setup to Mate X2 but maybe with Pen support? That would be cool that would literally be the ultimate foldable.

Reactions: Ludatyk

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
The Z Fold 3 will probably have a simialr setup to Mate X2 but maybe with Pen support? That would be cool that would literally be the ultimate foldable.
Then apple comes along and destroys them both ?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Then apple comes along and destroys them both
I think that will definitely happen on the Software front, Apple will probably set the standard of how foldables are developed for, and we will see more standardization on which type of foldable manufacturers build, Apple seem to be the ones who solidify the direction of the industry.

In terms of hardware I think Samsung and Huawei will continue to trade blows, except for chips of course, the A series is just in a world of its own lol.

Reactions: LFC2020

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung will most certainly deliver something mouthwatering without a doubt, I have loved watching Samsung and Huawei trade blows with their devices, they have kept each other on their toes.

samsung are rather lucky about this ban as Huawei would take away alot of their sales without it. they produce some amazing hardware

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
samsung are rather lucky about this ban as Huawei would take away alot of their sales without it. they produce some amazing hardware
I agree, Huawei makes some great hardware. But their Android skin just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm just not a fan of it at all. MKBHD videos focus on Huawei hardware, but don't into depth in the software angle. I mean, obviously.. its Android, not much to differentiate from other Android phones.

Maybe, I'm biased... because I favor OneUI over other Android skins.

Reactions: jamezr and kkh786

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm skeptical on the build quality with the Huawei foldable, and probably will be with all other foldables.

I was very skeptical about Samsung's Fold 2. But been using it naked since release date, with screen protectors off after the 3rd week, and it's held up very well. Several very minor drops and still not even micro scratches. Sometimes I forget this isn't IP rated, and I used it open and closed in slight to normal rain a couple of times. No issues whatsoever and still looks mint.

If the Huawei foldable does have the same build quality, then hats off to them. But I'll be skeptical until it's proven. I'm even skeptical of the Fold 3, I hope the build quality is as good as the Fold 2. Samsung is known for having a great run, the screwing up badly, then having another great run.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Fold 3 got leaked.
galaxy-z-fold-3-leak-1.jpeg

galaxy-z-fold-3-leak-2.jpeg

galaxy-z-fold-3-leak-3.jpeg

And just looking and the hinge it got the same small gap as the Huawei foldable.
samsung-galaxy-Z-Fold-3-4.jpg

Reactions: akuma13 and Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Fold 3 got leaked.
Under Display Camera? Not a feature I'm excited to have. I'd rather they remove the front camera all together, but i do understand people use it for video calling. S-Pen? It's cool to have... but again, not a feature I have to have. I'd rather Samsung put the same camera tech that's in the S21 Ultra in the Fold 3... that's what would push me to upgrade.

As of now.. rumors suggest the camera tech would remain relatively the same. So, its a solid no on the upgrade. But will be looking forward see the experiences of those who do so.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Under Display Camera? Not a feature I'm excited to have. I'd rather they remove the front camera all together, but i do understand people use it for video calling. S-Pen? It's cool to have... but again, not a feature I have to have. I'd rather Samsung put the same camera tech that's in the S21 Ultra in the Fold 3... that's what would push me to upgrade.

As of now.. rumors suggest the camera tech would remain relatively the same. So, its a solid no on the upgrade. But will be looking forward see the experiences of those who do so.

Im in the same boat. Dont care about the under display camera and the spen is nice but nothing special for me.

I've decided I'm out on foldables until they have an outer display thats basically a normal phone size, a more durable foldable display, and some sort of IP resistance. I'm fine waiting another year or two until that happens.

Reactions: tbayrgs

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
With the confirmed S Pen support I’m ready to trade in my Note 20 Ultra. Love the true Green color.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Camera rumours are disappointing. My guess is if they were to add periscope lens the price would be far too high

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Camera rumours are disappointing. My guess is if they were to add periscope lens the price would be far too high
Tbh, I rather them keep the front camera main display where it’s at and add better camera tech to the rear cameras. Maybe I’m the minority, but I don’t have an issue with the front camera dot in the main display. I’ve grown to ignore it, perhaps… it’s one of those features where I won’t see the benefit until I actually use it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Personally I'm excited about the under display camera. The pen is a mixed bag, without a silo I'm not particularly excited about having another pen/stylus to lose. But I agree, a 2k phone really needs to have Samsung's best camera.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But I agree, a 2k phone really needs to have Samsung's best camera.
I do understand their logic though. Samsung put in this foldable technology, two displays and three different set of cameras… that’s going to be an expensive phone. And yeah, they wanna have the best camera in their traditional phone.. where most people will go toward.

But I understand having the main selfie camera on the Fold… that’s for the Flex feature or video calls. But the front selfie camera on the Fold…. that could be gone... Like 2 years ago, I wager a very small percentage use that front selfie camera. Because if I’m taking a selfie camera.. I’m going to use the rear camera and use that Cover Screen Preview to take a selfie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.