Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I do understand their logic though. Samsung put in this foldable technology, two displays and three different set of cameras… that’s going to be an expensive phone. And yeah, they wanna have the best camera in their traditional phone.. where most people will go toward.

But I understand having the main selfie camera on the Fold… that’s for the Flex feature or video calls. But the front selfie camera on the Fold…. that could be gone... Like 2 years ago, I wager a very small percentage use that front selfie camera. Because if I’m taking a selfie camera.. I’m going to use the rear camera and use that Cover Screen Preview to take a selfie.

Yeah that's true, you can use the outer screen for the preview. The only reason that makes sense at this point is if you need the full screen for zoom.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Samsung's the only OEM that innovates to benefit the industry as a whole. First it was oled displays, then it was the Note and the birth of the phablet becoming mainstream, then foldables. And because they are also suplier, the rest of the industry benefits from these advancements. Now they give us a look at what's to come...

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Samsung's the only OEM that innovates to benefit the industry as a whole. First it was oled displays, then it was the Note and the birth of the phablet becoming mainstream, then foldables. And because they are also suplier, the rest of the industry benefits from these advancements. Now they give us a look at what's to come...

Shame their chipsets and software haven‘t improved since day one.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Sammobile reporting the Z Fold 3 and Z Flip 3 could be as much as 20% cheaper as the last series to try and up the adoption rate. Would be a huge move by Samsung if they dont sacrifice too much in the design. A $1600 Z Fold 3 with improvements to design, durability, and software would be a huge W.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sammobile reporting the Z Fold 3 and Z Flip 3 could be as much as 20% cheaper as the last series to try and up the adoption rate. Would be a huge move by Samsung if they dont sacrifice too much in the design. A $1600 Z Fold 3 with improvements to design, durability, and software would be a huge W.
That would tempt a lot of people for sure. It’s basically similar price to a maxed out 12 pro max.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Just leaked...

Galaxy Z Fold 3 - 12/12/12 triple camera system - 7.5 inch QHD+ 120hz LTPO main Amoled Display ~ 4400mah battery - Thinner and lighter than the Z Fold 2 - Snapdragon 888 Pro* - 12gb / 16gb ram | 256gb / 512gb storage - Spen Support - Under Display Camera - three colors ~$1599

Also, front screen is 6.2 in and high refresh.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Just leaked...

Galaxy Z Fold 3 - 12/12/12 triple camera system - 7.5 inch QHD+ 120hz LTPO main Amoled Display ~ 4400mah battery - Thinner and lighter than the Z Fold 2 - Snapdragon 888 Pro* - 12gb / 16gb ram | 256gb / 512gb storage - Spen Support - Under Display Camera - three colors ~$1599

Hope so...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just leaked...

That’s about a 20% decrease from introductory price of the Z Fold 2 ($1999)… I’m impressed.

Makes me wonder what kind of offer Samsung will make to the of Z Fold 2 trade ins, but I can’t wait to see what software features they offer for Z Fold 3. I’m sure SPen support will be the main selling point.

Reactions: Zwhaler

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I wonder when will Samsung ditch the folding aspect and introduce rollable next.. Wouldn’t this be the next evolution of smartphones.

I don't think so, but just my personal opinion. Rollable is too slow, half the time I wouldn't bother because I would not want to wait for it to unroll. Plus the screen is exposed. I don't think foldables are incredible or anything, I just don't see rollabe as an improvement, heck it still has a crease.

Reactions: ian87w

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Just leaked...

Appreciate the info. Will the s-pen be housed in the device or will it be like the S21 Ultra?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If the Fold 3 does indeed support the S-pen, it spells doom for the Note series.
Oh well, I guess it's better for Samsung to simplify its lineup a bit. Adding the Z series dampened the Note series from being the most expensive model.

Really interested with the price drops, especially for the next Z flip.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If the Fold 3 does indeed support the S-pen, it spells doom for the Note series.
Oh well, I guess it's better for Samsung to simplify its lineup a bit. Adding the Z series dampened the Note series from being the most expensive model.

Really interested with the price drops, especially for the next Z flip.

I wouldn't underestimate the pen silo. Yeah it sounds kind of crazy, but personally that pen silo really means a lot for me. I've lost way too many styli and pens over the years, and sometimes I just have nowhere to put the pen.

But the price drop on the F3 is really incredible. I was really thinking about going back to iOS because I'm so sick of every single family/friend in my life having iMessage and the 2k price was one of the factors pushing me back. But at 1600, well that changes things as I'd be at 1400 with a maxed out 13 pro max anyhow.

Reactions: Oohara and koigirl

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I was really thinking about going back to iOS because I'm so sick of every single family/friend in my life having iMessage and the 2k price was one of the factors pushing me back. But at 1600, well that changes things as I'd be at 1400 with a maxed out 13 pro max anyhow.
That's one of the reason I have a cellular iPad for iMessage purposes, I don't really care to do the two phone thing.. no shade to those who do.

The iPad allows me to stay in the Apple ecosystem...while having an Android phone for the software perks they provide.

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well I guess you guys are stuck with me. I tried to go back to iOS this weekend, ugh I can't believe how much I hated every minute of it. I'm really handicapped without iMessages, but I kind of don't care anymore because otherwise I just really hated how limited I felt by iOS. But the other reason is just how glorious it is to use the Fold 2. Not just the larger screen, but the software behind it. Only having a single app on screen is just something I don't think I will ever go back to. The paradigm of having a screen larger than your phone's foot print is just so huge I can't ever see going back to a regular phone, similar to how I knew I would never go back to a flip phone after touchscreen phones started to come out. I guess that means I'll be first in line for the Fold 3, I'll re-evaluate my options if and when Apple releases a foldable or some other paradigm with the same premise.

Now my tiny tiny hope is that the Epic lawsuit and anti trust issues force Apple to at least adopt RCS into iMessages, that's all I need then I'll be fully happy to be out of their ecosystem. The only other thing I will miss is being able to monitor my kids via screentime.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

My iPhone 12 Pro Max isn't working out for me because the form factor combined with the weight is actually starting to give me a lot of pain in the hands. So I've been planning to downsize to a smaller iPhone for only the most basic communication and phone stuff, and get the new iPad Mini (which hopefully is real) for the media consumption/gaming/file viewing etc that I was so happy that the 12 Pro Max was big enough to handle.

One gripe with the iPad though: it doesn't have OLED. After getting used to the gorgeous display on the 12 Pro Max, I'm not sure I can live without OLED anymore, it's just so damn easy on the eyes.

Enter the Fold 3. I had very little interest in the Fold series and haven't been keeping track of the news about it, but suddenly the vid above shows up in my feed and... Crap, I'm starting to like it. Maybe a small iPhone + the Fold 3 instead of iPad Mini? Best of both OS worlds too. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Gah I hate/love it when the gadget lust turns on like this out of nowhere. Gonna go splash some cold water on my face.

PS. The Galaxy Watch 4 looks very slick too. That's the first round smartwatch I've really liked the look of. Wtf.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Been using the Fold 2 as my main phone since release, and it's been the best smartphone experience I've had. Looking forward to the Fold 3.

I'm hoping the rumored changes of the Galaxy Watch 4 are true, otherwise I'll just stick with the Galaxy Watch I'm already wearing. Tizen on Galaxy watches have been too much of the same for too long. I would need a legit reason to upgrade this time.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Enter the Fold 3. I had very little interest in the Fold series and haven't been keeping track of the news about it, but suddenly the vid above shows up in my feed and... Crap, I'm starting to like it. Maybe a small iPhone + the Fold 3 instead of iPad Mini? Best of both OS worlds too. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Agreed! The Fold does provide a tablet-like device, maybe that's why I enjoy it so much.

Been using the Fold 2 as my main phone since release, and it's been the best smartphone experience I've had. Looking forward to the Fold 3.

I'm hoping the rumored changes of the Galaxy Watch 4 are true, otherwise I'll just stick with the Galaxy Watch I'm already wearing. Tizen on Galaxy watches have been too much of the same for too long. I would need a legit reason to upgrade this time.
What exactly are you looking forward in the Fold 3? Tbh, I'm not interested in it.... happily content with keeping the Fold 2.

However, I am interested in Watch 4 with WearOS.... I'm hopeful with Google and Samsung collaboration that it will spark 3rd party support.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I think foldable software is going to get a lot better once Google releases thier foldable device. Because they'll start pushing app devs to support the form factor.

My only issue with the Fold 2 (and really all foldables right now) is durability. Looking at the GalaxyFold subreddit and their are a LOT of people complaining about the same issue...one day they open the device and they either have a black line down the middle where the display as failed or the inner display fails completely.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Agreed! The Fold does provide a tablet-like device, maybe that's why I enjoy it so much.

What exactly are you looking forward in the Fold 3? Tbh, I'm not interested in it.... happily content with keeping the Fold 2.

However, I am interested in Watch 4 with WearOS.... I'm hopeful with Google and Samsung collaboration that it will spark 3rd party support.

I would be happily content keeping the Fold 2 also. But if Samsung holds up to their promise of a generous (I believe it was $1k) trade in offer, then all the minor upgrades put together would be worth it for me.

I think foldable software is going to get a lot better once Google releases thier foldable device. Because they'll start pushing app devs to support the form factor.

My only issue with the Fold 2 (and really all foldables right now) is durability. Looking at the GalaxyFold subreddit and their are a LOT of people complaining about the same issue...one day they open the device and they either have a black line down the middle where the display as failed or the inner display fails completely.

Mines have done me well. No case or screen protector since the first few weeks of ownership, and all I have is barely noticeable micro scratches in the crease of the folding display. Has been exposed to light rain and sweaty pockets, in hot and below freezing temps. Never dropped outside on concrete.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I would be happily content keeping the Fold 2 also. But if Samsung holds up to their promise of a generous (I believe it was $1k) trade in offer, then all the minor upgrades put together would be worth it for me.

Mines have done me well. No case or screen protector since the first few weeks of ownership, and all I have is barely noticeable micro scratches in the crease of the folding display. Has been exposed to light rain and sweaty pockets, in hot and below freezing temps. Never dropped outside on concrete.

Good to hear. I'm pretty deadset on holding out for a Pixel 6 Pro but depending on the reviews and trade in offers I may pull the trigger on a Fold 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.