Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well I did get an email saying I can upgrade to the fold by trading in my Samsung phone so think it will be an option. Not that I will though but seems they will let you do it on the upgrade program this year

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
This probably isn't ethical, but if they offer a 30 day return period (maybe even 14 days), I might just order one just to play with it for a couple weeks and then return it. Switching away from iOS is out of the question, but it would be great to get my hands on one.

We really need a smartphone/tablet renting service.

Yeah that's a little sketchy, but I'm sure you're not the only one that will do it. The risk there is you damage it and then you're stuck with it, which would suck.

I'm pretty set on the Pixel 6 Pro, but could be tempted into the Fold 3. I said it here before, if they offer $1k trade-in for the S21 Ultra and something like a free Watch then I'll be interested. But only if the starting price is around $1700 and only if there are some decent cases available. That was one of my biggest issues with the Fold 2. All the cases, first and third party, were awful. They either fit poorly, didn't stay in place, or were incredibly bulky.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm pretty set on the Pixel 6 Pro, but could be tempted into the Fold 3. I said it here before, if they offer $1k trade-in for the S21 Ultra and something like a free Watch then I'll be interested. But only if the starting price is around $1700 and only if there are some decent cases available. That was one of my biggest issues with the Fold 2. All the cases, first and third party, were awful. They either fit poorly, didn't stay in place, or were incredibly bulky.

I’m curious… What are the factors that will prevent you from upgrading to the Pixel 6 Pro and keeping the S21 Ultra? Perhaps, waiting on the S22 Ultra… just wondering.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I’m curious… What are the factors that will prevent you from upgrading to the Pixel 6 Pro and keeping the S21 Ultra? Perhaps, waiting on the S22 Ultra… just wondering.

I love the S21 Ultra. Best phone I've used by miles. But as a tech enthusiast, I like trying new things. I don't particularly like iOS, but I try it every few years just to try something new and see what's changed. I'll switch to the Pixel mostly for the software and to a lesser degree, the cameras. I think One UI is really good, but Google just know how to integrate software so well.

As far as what could keep me with the S21 Ultra and skip the Pixel 6? If the pricing is too high ($1200 or more), early reviews show performance issues with the new SOC, etc. When I get a phone, within the first week I can usually tell if I will like it more than my current phone and if I do, if it's worth what I paid for it. Then I make the decision if I want to keep it.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I'm a sucker for matte black phones, but the phantom silver Fold 3 promo pics look incredible. Also, rumors that Samsung has made big leaps forward in the UI specifically for foldables and split screen use. Also, rumors that the Fold 3 promo might be free buds, free spen, and a discount on the Watch 4. Which would be pretty amazing.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yeah that's a little sketchy, but I'm sure you're not the only one that will do it. The risk there is you damage it and then you're stuck with it, which would suck.

Yeah it's really tempting and I was actually pretty pissed with my iPhone this weekend. It really struggles in bigger cities and navigation for walking. Took me in the wrong direction. Not sure, that might affect Android too.

But then I saw the rumors for the iPhone 13 Pro and nope, not pulling the trigger on any Android at this time.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But then I saw the rumors for the iPhone 13 Pro and nope, not pulling the trigger on any Android at this time.
Tbf, you are an iPhone enthusiast… you wasn’t planning on keeping an Android regardless. You said it yourself, you was going to only use the Fold 3 for a certain amount of time.

We all know the next iPhone will be better than the current one, that’s smartphone 101. It all depends on whether the features are worth upgrading for… as much as I like what I see in the rumored iPhone 13. I’m staying with foldables for the foreseeable future, specifically Samsung.

Even though, I don’t plan on purchasing the Fold 3… I do have my eyes set for the Galaxy Watch 4.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Yeah it's really tempting and I was actually pretty pissed with my iPhone this weekend. It really struggles in bigger cities and navigation for walking. Took me in the wrong direction. Not sure, that might affect Android too.

Can I ask, what about the iPhone 13 Pro makes you excited?

I've been looking for a reason to jump back to iOS to try it again, but frankly everything Apple is doing with the iPhone lately is pretty boring to me. Its all catchup stuff (higher refresh, new lenses).

Reactions: 5105973

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Can I ask, what about the iPhone 13 Pro makes you excited?

I've been looking for a reason to jump back to iOS to try it again, but frankly everything Apple is doing with the iPhone lately is pretty boring to me. Its all catchup stuff (higher refresh, new lenses).
120hz, Portrait Video, bigger batteries are my top 3.
And I know there are things that Samsung has. I do love Samsung phones but Apple organizes my life the way I prefer it if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
From an hardware perspective.. nothing is wrong with an iPhone. But so much is to be desired with iOS… my family and friends enjoys being on it. But I wanted more and I jumped on the Note 10+ early last year… that was when I decided its time to stay on Android.

Note 20 Ultra arrived… didn’t think it was worth the upgrade and I was curious about the Fold 2. But my only reservation was how the crease will look. After looking at various reviews… I went ahead and purchased it. Mind you, I never wanted to go and see it in public (to test it out). I wanted my first interaction with it to be at home and the experience was as similar to the first generation iPhone.

We all get caught up in this smartphone universe… but don’t really take the time to look at the engineering that’s done with them. And I have to applaud Samsung for trying something new.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
From an hardware perspective.. nothing is wrong with an iPhone. But so much is to be desired with iOS… my family and friends enjoys being on it. But I wanted more and I jumped on the Note 10+ early last year… that was when I decided its time to stay on Android.

Note 20 Ultra arrived… didn’t think it was worth the upgrade and I was curious about the Fold 2. But my only reservation was how the crease will look. After looking at various reviews… I went ahead and purchased it. Mind you, I never wanted to go and see it in public (to test it out). I wanted my first interaction with it to be at home and the experience was as similar to the first generation iPhone.

We all get caught up in this smartphone universe… but don’t really take the time to look at the engineering that’s done with them. And I have to applaud Samsung for trying something new.

I never said anything was wrong with iphone hardware. They do an excellent job. But there's nothing exciting about what they do. It's well engineered but they don't take any chances.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Can not wait for tomorrow. The Z Fold 3 has the potential to dethrone the Note series. can not wait to see it I am debating on pre-ordering. Samsung is saying they’ll give the highest trad-in value + an additional $100. curious what they’ll give for a Note 20 Ultra.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I just looked at the camera specs and that's pretty disappointing. The S21 Ultra still seems like the Samsung phone to get if you're looking for the best camera.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Can't pre-order here can only pre-register, that immediately gives you a $100 voucher so done it for both the Fold 3 and Flip 3 for the Mrs :)

Given most seem to talk about 4/5 or more hours SOC with their phones compared to very little camera time the Fold plays rightly so to this priority

The Fold 3 is all about real-estate and hard to go back once your use to it, now with S-Pen means I can gift my hardly used spare Note 20 :)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Same The S-Pen case is going to be a must. Hopefully by the time the Fold 4 rolls around, Samsung can engineer a way to stick the S-Pen inside.
I doubt they will ever put a silo for a S-Pen in their smartphones anymore… it makes sense business-wise to make it a standalone purchase.

i actually prefer if they allowed some type of magnet that allowed the S-Pen be attached to the Fold, similar to how they do on those Galaxy Tabs. And maybe give the Fold an indent in the hinge where the S-Pen can be held into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.