Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Hey a pixel fold is also rumoured for end of 2021
Tbh, I think the only value a Pixel Fold could offer over the Galaxy Fold is camera processing. But I don't have any issues with Samsung camera processing, it can be saturated at times. But it's not to the point, where I'm looking elsewhere.

I actually prefer OneUI to stock Android... granted, not sure what Google will offer in terms of features specifically for Foldables. But I'd like to think Samsung will continue to offer compelling features for Foldables... especially having Good Lock to introduce new features/tweaks.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I don't care how awesome a Pixel Fold looks, theres no way I'm touching a first generation foldable from Google. They have enough issues with quality control on regular slab cell phones. I wouldn't trust a foldable screen from Google to last 3 months.
Yup, first gen foldable hardware possibly using first gen Google silicon. Not a snowball’s chance in hell I’d gamble with that set up.

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
Tbh, I think the only value a Pixel Fold could offer over the Galaxy Fold is camera processing. But I don't have any issues with Samsung camera processing, it can be saturated at times. But it's not to the point, where I'm looking elsewhere.

I actually prefer OneUI to stock Android... granted, not sure what Google will offer in terms of features specifically for Foldables. But I'd like to think Samsung will continue to offer compelling features for Foldables... especially having Good Lock to introduce new features/tweaks.
This is one of those areas where I really hope Apple doesn't decide to play the "me, too!" game.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) but I just don't think foldable are more than a technology fad. Besides, you're paying a heck of a lot for less real estate than if you'd bought a tablet.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This is one of those areas where I really hope Apple doesn't decide to play the "me, too!" game.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) but I just don't think foldable are more than a technology fad. Besides, you're paying a heck of a lot for less real estate than if you'd bought a tablet.
It took Apple awhile to enter the “phablet” market, but eventually the overwhelming demand for big phones was too much too ignore. And I don’t think it’s a technology fad…. There’s different versions of foldables, the interest from the public is there.

But I’m personally an admirer of the Microsoft approach with the foldable design. I‘m just not a fan of the software for the Surface Duo. I think Microsoft foldable design approach is more durable compared to the Samsung foldable, there’s plenty of cases where users open up their Fold to some damages to the screen. The idea of doing exactly what the phone is designed for that causes damages to the screen concerns me.

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
The idea of doing exactly what the phone is designed for that causes damages to the screen concerns me.
The very first smart phone I owned was a Palm Pre, which was a webOS-based device. It had a GPS receiver, and so I could use it for navigation purposes. However, that thing would overheat when you used the GPS for any real length of time, and honestly the phone wound up pretty much eating itself eventually. So, I get what you mean about a phone succumbing to it's intended use.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

It's not a fad, it's just not quite ready for primetime. Give it 2 or 3 more years, new paradigms, thinner devices, better specs, IP ratings, etc, as well as price decreases. FYI my old combo, an iPhone Pro Max and an iPad mini, were more expensive than the upcoming Fold 3's rumored price. I don't think it would be fair to compare any tablet other than the 7" ones out there to the Fold, but I get your point in terms of price if someone picked up an iPad Air and an iPhone. I just think there is a different market for that and not many will try to replace a 10" tablet with a 7" one. I know for myself I still have my Surface Pro as a 7" tablet isn't replacing that any time soon.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
As soon as Apple brings out the foldable is when more will take it seriously. An iPhone with a side of iPadOS will be great I feel due to how it’s optimised.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I'm honestly not sure I think Apple will ever bring out a foldable. There's just something about that kind of format, I think it's just too finicky for their brand. I think they'd rather polish their ecosystem where they spread the functionality out between watch, phone, tablet and computer to where they can claim that setup will satisfy any use case better than a foldable. Just a hunch that that's what they prefer to focus on.

For me personally, there are moments when the Fold intrigues me and I want one. But at the end of the day, what I'm really looking for is a small, super pocket friendly gadget that does the in-the-moment stuff for which you need a device that's ready to be pulled out at any moment, and a tablet small enough to be brought along almost anywhere. At the end of the day, I think I'm honing in on a iPhone 12 Mini/SE size phone + an iPad Mini (cellular version) after they've updated it to iPad Pro design.

Honestly, that size iPad I can already bring anywhere it needs to go, even if it doesn't fold. And if I'm out and about without any bag of any kind, a Fold wouldn't be comfortable to bring in my pockets anyway. And for any quick, in the moment tasks like quickly snapping a shot or buying a ticket while the bus arrives, a tiny device like an iPhone Mini will be much less of a hassle to use than a brick like the Fold.

Sure, you can make the argument that foldables will evolve until they're as thin as a phablet size phone is today. But honestly, I think that's more than a few years off. Not only do batteries need to shrink until they're wafer thin, they need to do so while still being safe. And that'll be no mean feat with a gadget that thin. In fact that goes for the construction as a whole. Half the thickness of an iPhone 12 Pro Max is 3.7 mm. I don't see a device getting that thin without breaking every other day, with display malfunction and exploding batteries as a result, for quite some time yet. Like, we might seriously reach holographic projection devices like in sci-fi movies sooner than that.

Roll-out displays and other kinds of folding/expanding designs? Too finicky, I don't buy any of those honestly.

Meanwhile, Apple will keep focusing on their Holy Ecosystem with a group of devices that will get individually slimmer and more flexible and powerful so that they get easier and easier to bring along, while also getting easier to work "across" as it were. While of course continuing to market exactly that setup to keep people's eyes away from foldable solutions. I'm not saying that is better, but that's how I see them approaching this.

Tl;dr, I'd love a foldable that's as thin as my 12 Pro Max when folded and doesn't have a crease when unfolded, while also being durable enough for daily, non-finicky use, but I don't see us getting there for a very long time yet. And I don't think Apple is worrying about taking part in that race, at least not for also a very long time; if ever. The Fold series might drop in price and move gradually from niche to something at least a bit more mainstream, but not enough for Apple to really start worrying about it. IMO.

Last edited:

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
You're wrong. Apple will release a foldable phone. But as always they're just waiting for their moment to enter the market.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
Yes, when Apple joins this market, suddenly those kids who are bashing foldables will be the first to protect it and call it innovation on Apple part. You can see that crap coming from far away.
Yup..they are masters at that move. Will happen with 120hz too this year.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
You're wrong. Apple will release a foldable phone. But as always they're just waiting for their moment to enter the market.
Alright, you're on :D Note that I didn't say they never will, but that I think it's very unlikely and will take long time yet if it does happen. When do you predict they'll launch their first foldable phone?

And then everyone will be saying how innovative they are :)
Yeah, I think everybody knows at this point that that's how it goes. My fave has gotta be Tim introducing the "Super Retina" display in the most smarmy way possible like it was a new invention and phones hadn't had OLED displays for nearly a decade. And of course today we're seeing the first rumour of an AOD display on the iPhone... Starting to feel kind of like a dead horse though.

Reactions: 5105973

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm honestly not sure I think Apple will ever bring out a foldable. There's just something about that kind of format, I think it's just too finicky for their brand. I think they'd rather polish their ecosystem where they spread the functionality out between watch, phone, tablet and computer to where they can claim that setup will satisfy any use case better than a foldable. Just a hunch that that's what they prefer to focus on.

For me personally, there are moments when the Fold intrigues me and I want one. But at the end of the day, what I'm really looking for is a small, super pocket friendly gadget that does the in-the-moment stuff for which you need a device that's ready to be pulled out at any moment, and a tablet small enough to be brought along almost anywhere. At the end of the day, I think I'm honing in on a iPhone 12 Mini/SE size phone + an iPad Mini (cellular version) after they've updated it to iPad Pro design.

Honestly, that size iPad I can already bring anywhere it needs to go, even if it doesn't fold. And if I'm out and about without any bag of any kind, a Fold wouldn't be comfortable to bring in my pockets anyway. And for any quick, in the moment tasks like quickly snapping a shot or buying a ticket while the bus arrives, a tiny device like an iPhone Mini will be much less of a hassle to use than a brick like the Fold.

Sure, you can make the argument that foldables will evolve until they're as thin as a phablet size phone is today. But honestly, I think that's more than a few years off. Not only do batteries need to shrink until they're wafer thin, they need to do so while still being safe. And that'll be no mean feat with a gadget that thin. In fact that goes for the construction as a whole. Half the thickness of an iPhone 12 Pro Max is 3.7 mm. I don't see a device getting that thin without breaking every other day, with display malfunction and exploding batteries as a result, for quite some time yet. Like, we might seriously reach holographic projection devices like in sci-fi movies sooner than that.

Roll-out displays and other kinds of folding/expanding designs? Too finicky, I don't buy any of those honestly.

Meanwhile, Apple will keep focusing on their Holy Ecosystem with a group of devices that will get individually slimmer and more flexible and powerful so that they get easier and easier to bring along, while also getting easier to work "across" as it were. While of course continuing to market exactly that setup to keep people's eyes away from foldable solutions. I'm not saying that is better, but that's how I see them approaching this.

Tl;dr, I'd love a foldable that's as thin as my 12 Pro Max when folded and doesn't have a crease when unfolded, while also being durable enough for daily, non-finicky use, but I don't see us getting there for a very long time yet. And I don't think Apple is worrying about taking part in that race, at least not for also a very long time; if ever. The Fold series might drop in price and move gradually from niche to something at least a bit more mainstream, but not enough for Apple to really start worrying about it. IMO.

That's one of the most well thought out discussions I've heard on here. I agree with a lot of what you say, I don't think Apple will jump on foldables until they are mature, my personal guess is 3-5 years. I'll once again say that "foldables" isn't the correct term as I highly doubt Apple will ever release a foldable, but I do think they will release a shrinking phone eventually. There is something to be said for the simplicity and durability of having an iphone and an ipad mini, it's a really nice combo that I ran with for a couple of years. Especially if they beef it up to a 8.4" screen which is what is rumored. At 8.4", but still fitting into my back pocket, I will have to really think if I want the Fold 3 (especially if rumors are true that it will use the same exact camera as the Fold 2).

Another good point, one that I use all the time on why we will never see a touchscreen Mac, is that a shrinking phone would mean Apple consumers only need one device. Apple banks on its consumers "needing" multiple devices. If anything Apple would work to create a new segment, something that an iphone, ipad mini, or another shrinking phone could not replace. In that respect I greatly miss Jobs who would most likely have created a new hardware category in these times.

In it's current state I don't blame anyone for not wanting to use a shrinking phone, there are certainly drawbacks, and it's up to each individual to see if those drawbacks outweigh their needs. I like being on the cutting edge, and the Fold 2 is about as cutting edge as it gets. What gets me excited is how this market is going to look like in 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: Oohara

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I already signed up for the early preorder… I highly doubt I buy it, but if the trade ins and preorder discounts are huge incentives. I might do it…

I'm in the same boat. If they offer 1k for the S21 Ultra and throw in a Watch 4 or something then I'd be tempted. But only if the rumors of a price dip into the $1700 range are true.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I already signed up for the early preorder… I highly doubt I buy it, but if the trade ins and preorder discounts are huge incentives. I might do it…

Well signing up for the preorder gives you an extra $100 credit and an entire year of Samsung Care +. Additionally, they are now letting you trade in 2 devices, I'm hoping they aren't too selective and I can send in an old LG phone I have sitting around from a few years back. They will probably be very generous with the Buds and the Watch as well, last time they almost gave them away.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I signed on too. Just in case. I’m not interested in the Fold though. My eye is on the Flip.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's kind of where I think I'd enter the foldable game, personally.
I believe MrWhoseTheBoss did a video about the problem with Samsung current version of their foldable method, which is that it has two displays. I know that seems rather elementary… but when I use my Fold, I enjoy using the main display over the outer display.

Although, it’s minor… what MrWhoseTheBoss main issue is it becomes a problem with overcoming the choice determining which display to use. I mean, obviously… when a user is out in public or on the move then the outer display is the better choice. But I think the rollable method is a better solution if rolling out is efficient enough.

With the foldable method… you end up with having two slabs of a phone (bulky is always criticism of the Fold), when the rollable method is much more slimmer. And in terms of marketing… slimmer always wins out.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Rumors keep heating up that this is the year where Samsung are going to go all in on their foldables. Apparently they are ramping up a big marketing campaign for them and will push them hard to be mainstream this year rather than a niche device.

If thats the case, I can see the pricing and trade-in/promos being really aggressive.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Rumors keep heating up that this is the year where Samsung are going to go all in on their foldables. Apparently they are ramping up a big marketing campaign for them and will push them hard to be mainstream this year rather than a niche device.

If thats the case, I can see the pricing and trade-in/promos being really aggressive.
This probably isn't ethical, but if they offer a 30 day return period (maybe even 14 days), I might just order one just to play with it for a couple weeks and then return it. Switching away from iOS is out of the question, but it would be great to get my hands on one.

We really need a smartphone/tablet renting service.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.