Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I'm at the domain in austin. Easily 100 deep. Not sure on stock levels. I want to get 2 for both my lines (both 2g iPhones). Think they'll let me?

islandtitan

macrumors regular
What disappointing customer service

I wasted 3 hours this morning waiting to purchase a 16 gig model.

There are no 16 gig models in Charleston, SC. None of the AT&T stores in the area received any.

Not only did they not have any 16 gigs, the reps wouldn't even tell us how many they had to offer when the store opened.

They were about 30-35 people in line and just before the store opens, the reps come out to "pre-qualify" the customers. being near the end of the line, because I had wasted the earlier part of the morning at another location, which was nice enough to come out and let us know they only had 8 ea. of the 8 gig models, I asked if they had enough phones for those us waiting at that time. The reps reply was "I don't know how many we have and we're not going to tell you. If we do not have enough for everyone we can order via direct fulfillment". We were told that they are prohibited from telling anyone about the inventory by "Apple".

Wow, what great customer service. Make people waste 3 plus hours of their valuable time and then don't tell them how many you have when you open for business and then make the customer wait in line until they run out, only to waste yet more of their time.

Very disappointing. Seriously rethinking the iPhone.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, I own a 17" Macbook Pro and just purchased a 20" iMac last night. But if they did in fact instruct AT&T not to divulge that information, it's wrong. I can certainly understand if someone called the day before to check inventory, but really, once the store opens??

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
here at Burlingame store and only 9 ppl so far. But I thought store it would open at 8 but now saying 9...

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I'm in line at this very moment (10:38 EST) and there are about 30 people in front of me.

They said they're out of black 16gb but have the white so that's what I'm getting.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I asked if they had enough phones for those us waiting at that time. The reps reply was "I don't know how many we have and we're not going to tell you. If we do not have enough for everyone we can order via direct fulfillment". We were told that they are prohibited from telling anyone about the inventory by "Apple".

Stupid reaction of the rep. If I was in his position, I would have said something like "I am not allowed to tell you how many iPhones we have, but to everyone from this point in the line on I would say: There are better things to do in life than waiting in a queue".

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
here at Burlingame store and only 9 ppl so far. But I thought store it would open at 8 but now saying 9...

Same situation here. Everyone in line thought they were going to open at 8am since that's what it says on the Apple Website. An employee just opened the door for someone who had an 8am 1-on-1, but ignored us when we asked what time they open. Phoenix is not a fun place to be outside in the Summer, so I really hope they open at 9 and not 10.

Y2JDMBFAN

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I am in line at the apple store in oak brook il posting from my nokia n82...got here at 9ish...about 75-100 people in front of me...waited in line for 4 hours yesterday morning and the guy in line in front of me bought the last 5! This line is not moving fast at all...

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
We finally got word: they're opening at 9am. I hope my rump and my Macbook battery can handle another hour in this chair.

zigmund555

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
Forrest did you have any luck?

I was about 6 people behind the guarantee'd phone split. When he said they didn't get any phones in I took off.

Apparently Towson was swamped.

Y2JDMBFAN

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I am in line at the apple store in oak brook il posting from my nokia n82...got here at 9ish...about 75-100 people in front of me...waited in line for 4 hours yesterday morning and the guy in line in front of me bought the last 5! This line is not moving fast at all...

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
The inventory checker at Apple's site only works AFTER 9pm each evening for the next day's expected inventory. The inventory checker is non-functional during business hours. Basically, if there are any left at the end of the business day and/or more are delivered after closing (or before opening), the inventory checker will show availability for the next day.

My prediction is that ALL Apple stores will be out of iPhones before the end of business today (Saturday). The lines and crowds are MUCH larger than anyone expected. Last year, the sale started at 6pm and I couldn't be there because I was working. When I got off work at 8pm I drove straight to the Apple Store, walked right in the door to the front of the line, and grabbed one of the last 8GB iPhones. For me, last year, there were no more lines within two hours of the iPhone sale starting. Yesterday, it was the complete opposite at that store... they had lines the ENTIRE day until they ran completely out. When I purchased my 3G yesterday morning, there were easily 200-250 people in line behind me. A friend passed by the store later in the day (about 3pm) and said the line was still 200-250 long.

Apple is going to easily break sales records with the iPhone 3G!

Mark

P.S. You guys that got shut out at one or more stores because they ran out, and now claim you don't plan to get an iPhone because you're mad... well, yeah... I really believe you! :rolleyes: If you were nuts enough to stand in those lines, you're nuts enough to get one whenever and however you can. But I do understand your frustration! I'd be really unhappy if I hadn't secured one yesterday!

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Most of New Jersey

Just did a brief survey of NJ (I am working today and its SLOOOW)

Menlo Park- sold out of all 16 gigs, a few 8 left 11:35 AM

Bridgewater - sold out of all 11:27 AM

Atlantic City - sold out 16 gigs, got disconnected 11:20

Short Hills - sold out all 11:17

Cherry Hill - sold out on web site checker last night

Rockaway - only 8 gigs 10:55

Freehold - "a few of each but long lines" 10:46

So I suspect it will be low stock until the big Apple truck delivers more on Monday.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
Looks like Apple has a hit...I am gonna wait till monday after work to get mine at one of the two Apple Stores in San Antonio..

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
If Apple runs out completely this weekend, there will be lines again on Monday (or whatever day the previous night's availability checker shows stock for the next day). I have two friends that planned to wait until Monday to avoid the crowds. Ha! They'll have to wait longer than that!

Mark

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
My prediction is that ALL Apple stores will be out of iPhones before the end of business today (Saturday). The lines and crowds are MUCH larger than anyone expected. Last year, the sale started at 6pm and I couldn't be there because I was working. When I got off work at 8pm I drove straight to the Apple Store, walked right in the door to the front of the line, and grabbed one of the last 8GB iPhones. For me, last year, there were no more lines within two hours of the iPhone sale starting. Yesterday, it was the complete opposite at that store... they had lines the ENTIRE day until they ran completely out. When I purchased my 3G yesterday morning, there were easily 200-250 people in line behind me. A friend passed by the store later in the day (about 3pm) and said the line was still 200-250 long.

Apple is going to easily break sales records with the iPhone 3G!

There might be some increase in the sales of iPhone 3G v. iPhone 1st gen, but the two biggest causes of long lines are:

1. No online ordering (many people ordered 1st gen iPhones online),
2. Requirement to activate in the store (significantly slows down the line).

I did like you did with the introduction of the first-gen iPhone. Walked into the store 3 hours after launch and was out of there in 5 minutes.

I've always been an AT&T customer, and I suspect that the vast majority of iPhone users are legit AT&T customers. It's really a disservice to Apple customers to require activation in store just so you can prevent a minority of people from breaking the iPhone to use on other networks.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
1. No online ordering (many people ordered 1st gen iPhones online),
2. Requirement to activate in the store (significantly slows down the line).

I really don't understand why AT&T did this. They could have easily instigated a policy that if you don't activate your phone through them within 30-days you either have to return the phone or charged a large sum (i.e. $1000).

brianjasper

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Apple Blows..

Just popped by the Chestnut Street Apple Store in SF and there are about 50 people in line Saturday at 8:45.... Despite the Apple Website claiming availability of all 3 iPhone flavors the Apple Employees were walking up and down the line saying 16 GB Black were Sold Out.... WTF? The store hadn't even opened yet...

So add another misstep by Apple... The online store inventory website doesn't even work....

As PE said, DON'T TRUST IT!!!
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html?state=CA

macelangelo

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
tx
willow bend Plano tx

I have been in line at the willow bend store in Plano tx for two hours or so. The stores are NOT staffed to handle the number of people in line. There are at least 100+ people in line.

Expect at least a four hour wait just to get into the store.

No free coffee or water either.

The store reps believe they have enough phones in stock for now.

Apple II

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
In line at Clarendon (Northern VA).

It's moving slowly but steadily - I've been here since just before 10 and am guessing it's another 30-45 minutes in.

They were out of 16GB blacks when I got here, but said they had plenty of other stock.. Since then, they've walked down the line, counting, with a wary eye a couple of times, so they may be starting to run low for the end of the line (which as almost as long now as when I arrived).

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Just because the lines are ridiculous today and were yesterday doesn't translate to more sales units. The activation process is what's holding lines up. The apple rep this morning said that it takes 10 minutes to Vanilla activate (that is with no issues). If an issue arise and they have to call AT&T then it can take up to 40 minutes per person. Last year it was no more than 5 minutes per person for EVERY person. Do the math and there you go. There were over 100 people in line in austin this morning and the rep estimated no less than 3 hours wait so I left - I'll wait a week until it dies down cause quite frankly there's not going to be a shortage. Not saying they aren't selling - they are - but probably no more than the 2g sold last year.

The mistake apple made was concentrating larger numbers at the apple stores like they did last year. Sure apple stores have them in stock but they don't have staff/equipment to process more people in parallel. If they had distributed stock more evenly to AT&T stores in high demand areas the lines would be distributed, the waits shorter and more people getting phones. Stupid mistake going with the same distribution method as last year....

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
I got the next-to-last black 16 GB model! I'm so excited. I'm not sure if it was worth the 5 hour wait, but I love this damn phone. I can't wait to get it fully charged, synced, and start using it. I would've gotten a white iPhone if I had to though. I saw one in person because the guy in front of me bought one. It actually looks pretty cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.