Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Oh by the way, I went to the AT&T store in Greenville, SC (Woodruff Rd)

We don't have an apple store around here, yet.. :( So this is what everyone who lives in this area has to deal with, unless they want to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Thank the lord I have a 1G (updated phone) and can wait a few weeks to upgrade (if the battery reports are OK).

First time I've ever been able to hold back from getting an Apple product first day.

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Got my white! The burlingame store opened at 9am and there were only 7 workers today so I can see what the line would be moving slowly. By the time I was out (about 25mins) the guy behind me still didn't get in yet and the line was at least 100. But I was out of there before 930 and had time to even go to costco, get gas, and got home before 11...

KD110

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
danbury ct (2:30PM Sat) 1.5 hour wait - they have 16gb black and white, no 8gb

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
California
the Sacramento :apple: Store currently has a line that extends half way through the mall.

I'm amazed it's this bad on the 2nd day.

Glad I got mine early on Friday.

:D

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
Just because the lines are ridiculous today and were yesterday doesn't translate to more sales units. The activation process is what's holding lines up. The apple rep this morning said that it takes 10 minutes to Vanilla activate (that is with no issues). If an issue arise and they have to call AT&T then it can take up to 40 minutes per person. Last year it was no more than 5 minutes per person for EVERY person. Do the math and there you go. There were over 100 people in line in austin this morning and the rep estimated no less than 3 hours wait so I left - I'll wait a week until it dies down cause quite frankly there's not going to be a shortage. Not saying they aren't selling - they are - but probably no more than the 2g sold last year.

The mistake apple made was concentrating larger numbers at the apple stores like they did last year. Sure apple stores have them in stock but they don't have staff/equipment to process more people in parallel. If they had distributed stock more evenly to AT&T stores in high demand areas the lines would be distributed, the waits shorter and more people getting phones. Stupid mistake going with the same distribution method as last year....

Supposely Apple can processor 30 people at a time at the larger stores. Its the small stores that are having the problems. If you got 150 people in line and you can only sell and activate 3 people at a time...it will take a long time.

Plus it looks like the 16GB black Iphone 3gs are selling out..

There will be another big shipment on monday...so I suggest people go monday after work...you should be able to walk in and about in less than 30 mins..

Remember saturday is a off day for most people too...so the malls are busy. Apple stores are mostly in malls too.

phatcat

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
In and out in 30 minutes from ATT store in Aurora IL. Arrived @ 10:30, saw short line of 10 people. Store had 12 clerks inside. (It's a large store). They were out of 16G blacks and said 2 weeks minimum. They had a few 8's and a couple white 16's by the time I was #1 in line. I was 2nd to last for the white.

Hooray!

forrest368

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Forrest did you have any luck?

I was about 6 people behind the guarantee'd phone split. When he said they didn't get any phones in I took off.

Apparently Towson was swamped.

NO!:mad: I've had a rough day!
I have been all over Maryland today trying to get the 16GB black because I REFUSE TO SETTLE! The Apple store in Columbia opened @ 9 am today so i got there @ 7:15 to wait in line and there were about 30 people in front of me, so i waited. I finally got to the front of the line @ 1:15!!!!!!!
As soon as I did, they tell me they had no black 16 GB left and never had them to begin with! So I left... FURIOUSLY and drove all the way to the store in Towson! I called before I went and the woman said they had the 16GB in Black. So I waited for about 15 min. with about 70 people in front of me and then they came out and said they were OUT TOO! I swear, the only store I've seen worse than the Columbia one IS TOWSON!

Soooo I've been up since 5:55 this morning trying to get one..... and never did!

But I'll be back in line tomorrow morning if they have them!:rolleyes:

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
I have been all over Maryland today trying to get the 16GB black because I REFUSE TO SETTLE! The Apple store in Columbia opened @ 9 am today so i got there @ 7:15 to wait in line and there were about 30 people in front of me, so i waited. I finally got to the front of the line @ 1:15!!!!!!!
As soon as I did, they tell me they had no black 16 GB left and never had them to begin with! So I left... FURIOUSLY and drove all the way to the store in Towson! I called before I went and the woman said they had the 16GB in Black. So I waited for about 15 min. with about 70 people in front of me and then they came out and said they were OUT TOO! I swear, the only store I've seen worse than the Columbia one IS TOWSON!

Soooo I've been up since 5:55 this morning trying to get one..... and never did!

Dude you need to wait will monday...its looks like 16 GB black Iphone 3gs are not gonna be in stock this weekend in your area...Why don't you just drive to new york city...and hit the Apple Store on 5th avenue...they have them in stock for sure...but you better call first..

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
Anybody know what the lines are like at the Apple Stores in San Antonio, Texas?

La Cantera Apple Store?
North Star Mall Apple Store?

I tried calling but they are not answering the phones...

All ATT stores are out...do not try calling the fake wanna be ATT store in Floresville, Texas...they said they will never carry the Iphone 3G.

KPEN7

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
i was the first person at the AT&T store in Orland Park, IL this morning. Got there at about 8:50 (store opened at 10). At about 9:15 the manager of the store shows up and says we only have a limited number of 8gb iphones and NO 16gb iphones. Everyone in line (about 6 people total) wanted 16gb phones. So he took us into the store and i pre-ordered my phone. Should be here by monday (HOPEFULLY)

The Apple store in orland is sold out and i went to the att store in la grange, and the line was wayyy too long for only 10 16gb iphoes

TimV

macrumors member
May 15, 2005
I left work early yesterday so that I could swing by the local Apple store (Pleasanton, Ca) and score a 16 GB 3G. When I got there, the line was all the way through the mall and nearly out the door. I turned right around and left.

This morning, I tried again after getting an oil change on my bike. I saw a guy in the parking lot with an Apple iPhone bag, so I stopped him. He said that he waited five hours in line yesterday only to get a voucher to come back today. Also, the line in there at the time (11:00am today) was 3+ hours.

The iPhone is a great device, and I will be getting one, but there is no way in hell I am going to wait in line for several hours just to buy a telephone. I'll wait a few days for all of the dust to settle.

forrest368

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Dude you need to wait will monday...its looks like 16 GB black Iphone 3gs are not gonna be in stock this weekend in your area...Why don't you just drive to new york city...and hit the Apple Store on 5th avenue...they have them in stock for sure...but you better call first..

NO WAY am I driving to NYC to get it! That's ridiculous! Plus I read they have a HUGE line. I'm just going to call tonight @ like 9:45 and see if they got anything in and then I will also check online and then show up early tomorrow morning. I WILL GET THIS PHONE! I AM DETERMINED!

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
NO WAY am I driving to NYC to get it! That's ridiculous! Plus I read they have a HUGE line. I'm just going to call tonight @ like 9:45 and see if they got anything in and then I will also check online and then show up early tomorrow morning. I WILL GET THIS PHONE! I AM DETERMINED!

Is there not like a trail that goes from DC to NY City?

Get on that train and go to the 5th Ave store. If you are the Iphone Fanboy that you seem to be..then you would go to the source flagship Store of the JesusPhone!

But the thing is, you already spent so much time in line you could have gone to NY and got it already. Plus you know NY store has it in stock.

I am just saying dog...

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Showed up at the Cincinnati Apple store today about 9:15. After a bit an employee came out and stated that beyond about a certain spot (pretty far in front of me) that there would be no more 16GB. Some left, not wanting 8GB. As he came closer I asked if their shipment for today came in. He indicated that he had not yet seen the FedEx guy. So, I decided to wait it out for awhile. I did NOT want an 8GB but hoped more were on the way. An hour later (and much closer to the door of the store) he came back and said they received more 16s in both black and white. So, my gamble paid off and I'm synching music over to my black 16gb right now.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
Over on Engadget a guy reported the Oakbrook Apple store is out of 16GB Black iPhones. When asked about the website showing as all available, one of the reps said the website is not accurate.

I might try lining up tomorrow...but I have a feeling I won't have any luck. Probably better luck on Monday.

stlwx21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Memphis, TN updated... Well.. the Germantown store.

I walked in there at 2:15 pm after work... to my surprise there was only 4 people in line in front of me. All that was left was 16GB white ones. I was out of there by 2:45 with a 16GB white one!

I couldnt believe it.

MDSkiBum

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Baltimore, MD

My experiences have been much better at Towson than Columbia. I went to Columbia this morning as well since the inventory checker said everything was in stock. I asked one of the employees there and was told the same thing about no 16GB blacks and only a handful of 16GB whites. I was about 20-30 people back in line, but then found out that last night they had to get the cops to kick about 70 people out of the store when AT&T shut off the activation servers at midnight (this is what one of the guys who was there last night told me). The store gave all of those people tickets to jump to the front of the line before 10 or 11am, which bumped me back 70 more people. When the store finally opened, a rep told me there wouldn't be any more phones by the time I got to the front.

I called Towson and was told they had plenty of white 16GBs but none of the black 16GB. I decided I'd prefer black, but white was fine too and went up to Towson. The line was long and it took about 3.5 hours to get through, but while I was in line a shipment of black 16GBs came in and I got one of the last ones. I only wish I had skipped the drive to Columbia. I would have been to Towson earlier and been in a presumably shorter line.

The Towson people were very honest (although the same inventory checker glitches seem to be there as it said they had black 16GBs but didn't at first). When the shipment came in, an employee walked around the line and told everyone that they had a limited number of the black 16GBs come in and he wasn't sure if there were enough, but they did have plenty of phones so if you like the white 16GB you'd be ok.

Just my opinion, but I'd try Towson first tomorrow. It sounds like you had bad timing for your trip there because of the Columbia store. Be sure to ask an employee about stock before you get to the front of the line, as well. They don't seem to be allowed to disclose numbers, but at least they will tell you if anything is out of stock before you wait for hours.

harodude

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Wow. Well I got to Arden Fair mall, Sacramento this morning around 9:30 and there was already a 5 hour line AT LEAST!

we stood in it for about 1.5 hours and then left to a corporate store a little north, which was not busy at all.

I even attempted to walk into the apple store as a Mac Pro buyer, but they refused to let me enter. BAH

Anyways, theres my take

chic

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Nyc

Anyone have a 5th ave NYC update?

I called Apple in the morning to see how the line was. The rep said it's about a three hour wait.

And I can't even just buy it at the Apple store since I have a FAN account. I'd have to call in cancel and put it in again. Don't know why AT&T didn't make it easier for FAN account users.

When do you think the lines will die down?

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
glendale galleria near los angeles ca....

... the line was out of the mall into the parking garage. i pulled up, astonished, the poor apple lady at the back of the line looked terrible... one of the customers at the back of the line said "five hours she said!" .... i drove off laughing...

this is crazy.

r.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.