Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdb29127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
Just got a new iPad. Do I really need a screen protector? Do not have anyone but me that uses it.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
I personally have not used one, I have had iPads since the first one from Apple however I my use is mostly at home or the office and I have not had any scratches yet.

I would think the screen protector is a good idea IF you can get a good one that doesn’t impart the quality of the screen. Other considerations are if you have an Apple Pencil and draw, The screen protectors drastically change the feel of the pencil on the ipad.

I think a good question is what are the good screen protectors out there now?

roguefury

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
For the first time ever, for any of the iPads I’ve owned, I bought this screen cover:

It has reduced the glare of the glossy screen, and actually, made writing with the pencil more enjoyable. It’s also pretty durable. I was not a fan of screen covers for my iPads (I always have one on my iPhone), but I’m quite pleased with the Moshi.

WhoDatWayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan
For the first time ever, for any of the iPads I’ve owned, I bought this screen cover:

It has reduced the glare of the glossy screen, and actually, made writing with the pencil more enjoyable. It’s also pretty durable. I was not a fan of screen covers for my iPads (I always have one on my iPhone), but I’m quite pleased with the Moshi.

This looks interesting. Does it impact the screen clarity any?

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Yes, it does. I’m mostly ok with a slight reduction in screen resolution. The upside of this protector is that you can remove it and reattach it.

I remember i had a moshi protector way back in the days for my Macbook. I didn’t like the way the protector applied, only the edges were sticky and rest of the protector was just an overlay, which caused the odd bubble/rainbow effect of parts of the protector that was touching the screen. Is that still the case with their screen protectors? Or have they changed the way it applies to the screen?

roguefury

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
I remember i had a moshi protector way back in the days for my Macbook. I didn’t like the way the protector applied, only the edges were sticky and rest of the protector was just an overlay, which caused the odd bubble/rainbow effect of parts of the protector that was touching the screen. Is that still the case with their screen protectors? Or have they changed the way it applies to the screen?

This is the first Moshi protector I've had, and it definitely sticks to the entire screen. There's no negative impact, or bubbling at all. I'd say it has made using the pencil more natural.

Reactions: j0nblayz

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i ordered one from amazon sloooooooooooooooow prime shipping. I have one on my mini and always put one on my phone so it just made sense to me to put on my my new $1000 coloring book... errrrrrr... iPad pro.... l

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I’ve put tempered glass on every iOS device I’ve owned for quite awhile now...I love them. Looks just like the actual screen with no clarity loss. Keeps the screen scratch free for resale later and protect the screen on drops. I can’t tell you how many I’ve replaced on my kids’ and wife’s devices. Amazon has good quality ones for under $15 mostly.

I will be trying out the Paperlike protector for the first time soon. I like the idea of anti-glare, just don’t know what it will do to screen clarity & if I’ll like it. They have a year long guarantee...so we’ll see. I also like the idea of the pencil feeling more natural. Looking forward to trying it.

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
i ordered one from amazon sloooooooooooooooow prime shipping. I have one on my mini and always put one on my phone so it just made sense to me to put on my my new $1000 coloring book... errrrrrr... iPad pro.... l
Totally agreed with sloooowww prime shipping!!! I had ordered my screen protector, and it will take a week to get it delivered... I wonder if I didn't have prime, how long the shipping would be for free shipping.
[automerge]1587963744[/automerge]
Just got a new iPad. Do I really need a screen protector? Do not have anyone but me that uses it.
I have screen protector for all my devices (even nintendo switch & my laptops Lol), just to protect it. It's easier to swap screen protectors than just to get the screen replace.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Don't have one at present, but last week I ordered one called Paper that I've heard good things about. Waiting for it to ship. Obviously everything is backed up. Will report back when it arrives.

Reactions: caligurl

Alexis Noel

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Houston
Zagg was my go to by QC has been bad as of late. Anker, who makes good chargers and home devices (from their other brand Eufy), has some decent screen protectors, too. My kids iPads have Anker screen protector and my girlfriend's iPad Pro 10.5 has it, too. I believe I went with Zagg for my iPad Pro 9.7 and her Mini 4.

Don't have any screen protector at the moment for my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I’ve put tempered glass on every iOS device I’ve owned for quite awhile now...I love them. Looks just like the actual screen with no clarity loss. Keeps the screen scratch free for resale later and protect the screen on drops. I can’t tell you how many I’ve replaced on my kids’ and wife’s devices. Amazon has good quality ones for under $15 mostly.

I will be trying out the Paperlike protector for the first time soon. I like the idea of anti-glare, just don’t know what it will do to screen clarity & if I’ll like it. They have a year long guarantee...so we’ll see. I also like the idea of the pencil feeling more natural. Looking forward to trying it.

I have been using tempered glass screen protectors on my iPhones and iPads for years also, including my 12.9" 3rd generation iPP with no issues. I find that using the pencil on the glass screen protectors doesn't work great. I installed one of the paper-like protectors on the 12.9" and have mixed feelings. It's not crystal clear and the touch is grainy. On the other hand, writing feels a lot better.

I'd like to see someone do a tempered glass protector that had been very lightly blasted to give it just a little texture, but that's probably too esoteric to be commercially viable.

l0gan5

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Cambridge. UK
I bought a tempered glass one from eBay for £3. Works perfectly and as I occasionally let the kids use Procreate I don’t have to worry about them scratching the screen.

WhoDatWayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan

Please let us know what you think of the Paperlike when get it. I have been looking at possibly getting this one as well. My concern is how much it reduces the clarity of the screen. What is the name of the one that you normally get from Amazon? Thanks

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I love the Moshi iVisor AG. I ordered it after it got great reviews from Federico Viticci. Got it a few weeks back. While the screen clarity is slightly distorted, I think it actually makes videos even better. No rainbow effect.

IMG_1659.jpeg

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I have screen protector for all my devices (even nintendo switch & my laptops Lol), just to protect it. It's easier to swap screen protectors than just to get the screen replace.

It makes a ton of sense on a Switch due to the plastic screen.

OP I've not used a screen protector on an iPad for years and no scratches. My kids had iPad Mini 2's for many years when really young and you can just BARELY make out the most minor of blemishes if the screen is perfectly clean, turned off so showing black, and you hold it at the perfect angle with a good light source. No way you'd see them otherwise.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Please let us know what you think of the Paperlike when get it. I have been looking at possibly getting this one as well. My concern is how much it reduces the clarity of the screen. What is the name of the one that you normally get from Amazon? Thanks
I have a v2 PaperLike on my iPad. I LOVE it - for the pencil in particular it gives a bit of tooth that does make my writing and sketching much better; and it stops fingerprints completely.
It was a bugger to get on without dust - normally I don’t have a problem with them but the PaperLike’s for some reason are especially difficult. But now it’s on it’s not coming off.
And there is a marginal reduction in clarity but I very quickly got used to it and it’s much better than the old ones. Make sure you get a v2, they are less ‘cloudy’.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

For what it's worth, I ordered the Akamai from Amazon and have been pleased with it in every respect other than wishing it were as crystal clear as a glass screen protector - oh well! :D

Reactions: WhoDatWayne

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I like the JETech ones. Great value for the money.

i ended up ordering one of these since the other ones i ordered were taking so long (THREE WEEKS for delivery and then they didn't deliver them yesterday as promised! didn't even ship them til yesterday and they are supposed to arrive Tues! THREE WEEKS AND THREE DAYS for amazon prime two day shipping! UGH!)

anyways.... i like the JETech. it went on easily with their little tabs and looks great! works great for coloring with my pencil! ?

Reactions: madrigal77

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Another vote for JETech. Love it. Just like not having a screen protector on. I used to love PaperLike but too expensive and I notice with the JETech that the PaperLike does dull the display a little.

kenni417

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2019
Ontario, Canada
i use spigen's tempered glass. not a bad protector and very smooth to the touch, probably smoother than the iPad's actual glass. just wish they came with an installation tray. the guide tabs are okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.