Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Never for iPad..

Glass/Tempered its only advantage if u drop ur iPad it will save u from cost of replacing the entire screen whenever u drop it head high or above. However As we know the iPad is durable enough to handle the light scratch, but most of the time its screen is also covered by the case isn’t it? And add to that it will leave u so much Reflection, a bit of distortion as well as responsive touch isn’t as responsive compared to its naked skin..

matte/anti glare is even Worse, it’s only good for drawing, gaming, and the responsiveness of the screen is still there however it dramatically affects the screen quality, and color..

no offense even the expensive ones still reduce the benefits of iPad Air/Pro Anti reflective coating.. making your own reflection appears on the screen when watching movies.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’ll chime in as well regarding JETech. That’s the only brand I ever order anymore. I have them on all my Apple stuff as well as my Nintendo Switch. They are very high quality for the price, don’t show fingerprints nearly as badly as the naked screen, and are very easy to clean off. The only downside is that they make the screen a lot more slippery for Apple Pencil use.

I do have one on my new iPad Pro, and this is the first time in a long time that I’ve put one on an iPad. Because the Magic Keyboard is finally a real keyboard, it is much more likely to get gunk from the environment and your hands inside the keys. That’s just nature of keyboards—goes with the territory. But I worry about anything abrasive getting in there and then falling out at some point and rubbing around on my iPad screen.

So I’m sticking with a protector for now, but at some point the slippery-ness will probably start annoying me during an Affinity Designer project and I’ll probably rip it right back off. Lol
That’s the brand I use for everything including my switch like you. They are easy to install, do not distort the screen and last forever. I’ve had the same one on my ipad since July 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman0616

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I second JETech. It's the only thing that's holding my screen together ?
View attachment 912111
I dropped my old ipad mini 5 in my garden onto concrete tiles. It’s the only time I’ve ever dropped an ipad and it had a JTECH glass screen protector on. The screen protector was smashed to smithereens but the ipad screen was not impacted at all. It saved me that day.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Never for iPad..

Glass/Tempered its only advantage if u drop ur iPad it will save u from cost of replacing the entire screen whenever u drop it head high or above. However As we know the iPad is durable enough to handle the light scratch, but most of the time its screen is also covered by the case isn’t it? And add to that it will leave u so much Reflection, a bit of distortion as well as responsive touch isn’t as responsive compared to its naked skin..

matte/anti glare is even Worse, it’s only good for drawing, gaming, and the responsiveness of the screen is still there however it dramatically affects the screen quality, and color..

no offense even the expensive ones still reduce the benefits of iPad Air/Pro Anti reflective coating.. making your own reflection appears on the screen when watching movies.
I use matte glass screen protectors on my three iPads. They’re not good for just drawing (which I don’t do much, and not as much as I hope to) and gaming. Most of my iPad use is web surfing, social media, and various apps.

They also don’t reflect…at all. They hide fingerprints beautifully. They don’t show marks from the pencil that the PET ones do. The glass ones don’t “sparkle” like the PET ones do.

I dropped my iPad Pro 11 flat face down on a vinyl plank over concrete floor. Shattered the screen protector (which was still quite usable), iPad was undamaged.

I’ve used screen protectors on almost all my electronic devices for probably at least 25 years. The matte glass ones I use now are better than the large variety of protectors I’ve used previously.

• Love
Reactions: GDF and Vivian125

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I've had a few iPads and never used a screen protector; however, I am getting ready to use mine for playing music. When it's sitting on my music stand, I don't want to risk it getting knocked off. I am also worried about glare when performing outside. Not sure if an anti-glare is what I need or if that would bother me too much with a loss of clarity. I would also like to consider one of the paper covers because I'm using a pencil but, again, don't want to lose screen clarity.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I use matte glass screen protectors on my three iPads. They’re not good for just drawing (which I don’t do much, and not as much as I hope to) and gaming. Most of my iPad use is web surfing, social media, and various apps.

They also don’t reflect…at all. They hide fingerprints beautifully. They don’t show marks from the pencil that the PET ones do. The glass ones don’t “sparkle” like the PET ones do.

I dropped my iPad Pro 11 flat face down on a vinyl plank over concrete floor. Shattered the screen protector (which was still quite usable), iPad was undamaged.

I’ve used screen protectors on almost all my electronic devices for probably at least 25 years. The matte glass ones I use now are better than the large variety of protectors I’ve used previously.
I prefer matte screen protectors on my 12.9 Pro iPad too. Makes it much better for reading with no reflections and really helps cutdown on the fingerprints. A naked iPad screen is a fingerprint magnet. Wish Apple would develop a screen that cuts down on fingerprints.

Which matte screen protector do you use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.