Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuesca

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Can anyone recommend a screen protector that is warm/hot water proof? The one I had was fine with cool pool and ocean water but with warm/hot water it started peeling right away.

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Can anyone recommend a screen protector that is warm/hot water proof? The one I had was fine with cool pool and ocean water but with warm/hot water it started peeling right away.

I’m trying out a glass one on my wife’s 7. Very strange install with the liquid adhesive but seems to be very nice. I can’t imagine hot water affecting it at all.

Previously on her S4 I used LK screen protectors that I mentioned previously. On her S4 these would last a very long time before needing to be replaced.
On her S7 they don’t seem to last. They start to peel in a month. This is the reason for trying out a glass sp. We’ll see how well the glass holds up.

Reactions: Cuesca

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
I use Ghost Armor on my apple watch. its damn near invisible, covers the full face of the watch and is inexpensive. Plus if you do damage the screen protector they will replace it for just $5. I've already had it replaced once because i banged my watch into a door knob. Watch had no damage, but the screen cover got a scuff. $5 later I had a fresh protector. its swim & shower proof and survived the heat in Mexico with no issues.

Reactions: Cuesca

Cuesca

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Thank you for the replies. Let me rephrase a bit, it didn't quite peal off, it felt more like it slid off or at least it came loose(these are I am assuming tempered glass). Of course these were the $10 cheapo ones from Amazon. I will look into your recommendations but I kinda wish there was something that works similar to Watchshell which I had on my Rolexes. Those are also applied using a liquid adhesive they supplied with the kit, so far with Watchshell I can swim and shower without issue.

Update: Unfortunately Ghost Armor does not seem to have a protector for my model. LK does but it seems to not be water resistant when I tried to shower with it. Someone on reddit recommended ESR and so far it works pretty well, unlike the other protectors this one covers the entire bezel and has a gasket underneath. To me it kinda interfere with the overall aesthetics of the watch, but it does seem to hold up pretty well over the long weekend. I'll keep it on for now, or maybe just go without a protector. I've banged it a few times before and so far there are no dents or scratches so I might just go without.

IMG_1477.jpg

Last edited:

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
Though I'm a long time Apple user, this 45mm series 8 aluminum is my first watch. Reading about horror stories of super scratched screens I started looking for something to protect mine and after reading page after page of iffy products here (hate the orange peel effect of some of the wet install films, tried it on an iPhone once) I bought the LK films. Other than aligning them, they are pretty easy to install once you've done it (and screwed up) the first one. So far I get about two weeks out of one before having to replace it. I put a new one on just now due to paint smears (or something) on the previous one after a few hours of yard work. It had started bubbling on the edges which is usually what leads me to replace them.

I'd prefer a glass protector but I remember the nightmares of trying to get one to work when Apple was selling phones with curved edges, so I probably won't go there. These films go on without affecting the performance or look of the watch.

Has anyone found a case that works with the LK films? I bought a rugged armer Spigen case but it just adds so much bulk and immediately starts peeling these films. I'm not as worried about the aluminum finish, it's a watch after all, but like the screen to stay as pristine as possible. It would be nice to have a case compatible with these films in certain situations though.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Reactions: johnc22

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
I think I tried it and lost it in the swimming pool while swimming crawl. I personally find better the Misxi plastic cover, never lost it accidentally but I can remove it mainly for washing the watch from sweat or salt/chlorine. I don’t notice a decrease on the touch screen, about the look it’s a matter of taste but I find the transparent one not too invasive. And if I don’t want it for one evening I can remove it when I want. Without the covers I scratched my watch in no time.

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Made it a year and a half and tons of use, scuffs, etc but the corner finally bubbled up and won't stay down.
Installing the 2nd of the 3 they included with the sale and hoping for another 18 months of worry free protection.

Attachments

• tempImageYQ9HJO.png
    tempImageYQ9HJO.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 84

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I've just had the opportunity to try a Kamita clear protector on my Apple watch 8.

Easy enough to fit. And, initially, seemed OK.

But it became more and more annoying that it made the watch's touch screen less sensitive. And reflections from the surface were off-putting.

Have ended up deciding not to use it.

If I had a job that involved paint, dust, grease, etc., I can certainly see why protection is needed. But for my everyday life, I'm not convinced. Having had the watch for the best part of a year, and no obvious scratches or other damage just doesn't seem worth it.

Think I'd either take the watch off or use something like ordinary kitchen cling wrap if I were doing some decorating.

AaronParan

Suspended
Jan 16, 2024
New York
My brother in law has one. He works in selling large construction equipment and kept destroying his Stainless. And the Aluminum watch may was well just come with a case. I liked a leather case I got years back but I can't remember who made it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.