Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FruitSodaa

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2022
Went from an iPhone SE 2020 with 92% battery health, and the difference is night and day.

The iPhone SE 2022 lasts over a day of heavy usage and even little bit more, very impressed. I had to charge my old SE at least 2-3 times a day.

The speakers are also noticeably better, louder and more crisp.

It’s also faster than the 2020. It just blazes through everything and feels more responsive.

Display quality is really good, the screen looks more balanced and more brighter than the SE 2020.

I’ll definitely keep it. I’m glad apple still produces LCD screen phones as an alternative for those of us who can’t stand PWM.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Went from an iPhone SE 2020 with 92% battery health, and the difference is night and day.

The iPhone SE 2022 lasts over a day of heavy usage and even little bit more, very impressed. I had to charge my old SE at least 2-3 times a day.

It’s also faster than the 2020. It just blazes through everything and feels more responsive.

Display quality is really good, the screen looks more balanced and more brighter than the SE 2020.

I’ll definitely keep it. I’m glad apple still produces LCD screen phones as an alternative for those of us who can’t stand PWM.

It’s a great phone. Used it for about a month and I had a good time with it. If only they included Night Mode, it would be the most best-for-value iPhone of all time.

theriddler

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2011
UK
I came from my beloved SE1 after not being able to get used to the 13 Mini. TouchID is blazing fast compared to people struggling with FaceID when using Apple Pay. The camera coupled with Apple's post-processing has better low light and colour rendering than Google Pixel 4A. My SE1 overheats and crashes as it doesn't have enough memory for Duolingo and Candy Crush Friends lags on Google Pixel 4A.

Only problems are I tend to drop it because it's too big, and I accidentally pick it up upside down because the black bezel blends in.

It’s a great phone. Used it for about a month and I had a good time with it. If only they included Night Mode, it would be the most best-for-value iPhone of all time.
NeuralCam enables night mode https://neural.cam

Reactions: arkitect

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
TouchID is blazing fast compared to people struggling with FaceID when using Apple Pay.
To be fair, in latest updates it recognizes me even on my wife's ip13pm in a mask. Otherwise, it is faster to use touch id because even if unlocking fast in a mask it still requires to look at it, while with touch id you don't look at your phone.

theriddler

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2011
UK
The angle of tapping the phone onto the payment terminal requires one to tilt the phone up for a second to get FaceID to unlock.

Bring back TouchID. It works well on the iPad Mini 6 on the lock button.

• Love
Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
TouchID is blazing fast compared to people struggling with FaceID when using Apple Pay.
👍👍👍
The angle of tapping the phone onto the payment terminal requires one to tilt the phone up for a second to get FaceID to unlock.

Bring back TouchID. It works well on the iPad Mini 6 on the lock button.
100% Agree.

I've just moved from iPhone SE 2020 to an iPhone 13 Mini.
I love everything about the Mini, apart from Face ID! It drives me nuts.

Definitely a step back compared to Touch ID.

Using Apple Pay with Touch ID is flawless, Face ID is just not as reliable.

Ah well...

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

It is a very surprising upgrade over the previous generation. As Apple usually does, every aspect is upgraded from the aluminum and glass to the speakers and display.

iPhone SE probably benefits most from the efficiency cores of the A15, since battery life has been excellent.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
is it really faster and better battery like significantly than se2020?

I feel like im hearing mixed things there that its not much better in practice in either regard. and then other posts like that ^

And the display quality being better is most likely just panel lottery imo

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

I feel like im hearing mixed things there that its not much better in practice in either regard. and then other posts like that ^

And the display quality being better is most likely just panel lottery imo

I’d say yes.

The A13 is already quick enough for a 720p display, but where the A15 really shines is in the battery life. I’ve only run my iPhone SE battery down all the way once, and that may have been due to neglecting to charge it overnight.

Computational photography also makes the camera appear more similar to the iPhone 13 line.

As far as the display, Apple is pushing color calibration to its very limits. It looks fantastic for all types of content. The second-generation iPhone SE already had a high-contrast display, whereas the latest generation has a calibration that’s even more vivid and color-accurate.

It’s improved in all possible ways.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’d say yes.

The A13 is already quick enough for a 720p display, but where the A15 really shines is in the battery life. I’ve only run my iPhone SE battery down all the way once, and that may have been due to neglecting to charge it overnight.

Computational photography also makes the camera appear more similar to the iPhone 13 line.

As far as the display, Apple is pushing color calibration to its very limits. It looks fantastic for all types of content. The second-generation iPhone SE already had a high-contrast display, whereas the latest generation has a calibration that’s even more vivid and color-accurate.

It’s improved in all possible ways.

interesting. guess ill have to take a look sometime in stores of this model and do some anecdotal screen compares (though its tough under that lighting) to my se2020 if I can remember to bring it (its my backup)

sounds like a nice upgrade then! better battery alone thats significant would address the fundamental flaw of the se2020

im staying put because it is a backup but if se2020 was my daily driver id give it consideration

so se2022 and smart battery case must provide excellent battery and then some!

are kernel panics still an issue? that worries me a bit.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
interesting. guess ill have to take a look sometime in stores of this model and do some anecdotal screen compares (though its tough under that lighting) to my se2020 if I can remember to bring it (its my backup)

sounds like a nice upgrade then! better battery alone thats significant would address the fundamental flaw of the se2020

im staying put because it is a backup but if se2020 was my daily driver id give it consideration

so se2022 and smart battery case must provide excellent battery and then some!

are kernel panics still an issue? that worries me a bit.

No issues with kernel panics. I have seen that happen on iPhone 13, although I haven’t personally experienced it.

The display looks significantly inferior to the iPhone 13 under Apple Store lighting at max brightness, while in practice it’s quite good.

I ran my iPhone 13 Mini battery down all the time, but I pushed it harder. This new iPhone SE would last a long time with a battery case.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Reactions: thadoggfather

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020

I find the 2022 SE a very worthwhile upgrade from the SE 2020. I now charge every two days instead of every day. I don't do anything very demanding, but I did snap a sunset panorama photo the other day (including a moving train) and was surprised at how well it turned out – so the processing capability is impressive, too. My friend's 13 did a better job of sleeping fireside dog in dim light, but I wouldn't trade the touch ID button for that and I don't want a bigger phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.