Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Brick as in battery life. I still have one or two iPhone 6, too, in a box. I changed one of the batteries in one as well. When one is buying phones, they are buying primarily for 1) performance and 2) battery life. While Apple has improved on performance decrease in the past few years, battery life is terrible after updates. I know, because I just change the iPhone 8 battery where I gained maybe an hour extra of usage. That really shouldn't be the case. As usual, will have to wait till EU decides to do something about this. :confused:

I am now at the point of asking myself why buy thousand dollar phones if in two/three years, the battery life will be half, and can never be repaired with battery change? Even if the brand new iPhone SE 2022 sits in a box for two years, and updates to the latest iOS after two years, its battery life will be severely nerfed after the update. EU, please fix this. :(
What could the EU do about it?

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
What could the EU do about it?
They could intact a law, or a requirement for phone companies, to pursue longevity of mobile phones with easy battery change. They already started with USB-C cable connection requirement. And I believe there is a Right To Repair law in the works which may have been hampered by Covid-19. Currently, these phones (android and iPhones) are unnecessarily disposable. Software updates should not make any product disposable. And ultimately, disposable products are costly to society.

Oh, and EU nitpicks about waste. Consumers around the world benefits from their nitpicking. :cool:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
They could intact a law, or a requirement for phone companies, to pursue longevity of mobile phones with easy battery change. They already started with USB-C cable connection requirement. And I believe there is a Right To Repair law in the works which may have been hampered by Covid-19. Currently, these phones (android and iPhones) are unnecessarily disposable. Software updates should not make any product disposable. And ultimately, disposable products are costly to society.

Oh, and EU nitpicks about waste. Consumers around the world benefits from their nitpicking. :cool:
Making the battery easily replaceable wouldn’t solve the problem you’re taking about (battery life supposedly being “terrible after updates”). Unless you’re planning to swap two batteries in and out like it’s 2009…

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Making the battery easily replaceable wouldn’t solve the problem you’re taking about (battery life supposedly being “terrible after updates”). Unless you’re planning to swap two batteries in and out like it’s 2009…
Why not? Because Apple made it the norm to design phones with batteries that are hard to replace doesn't mean that it should stay that way. Replaceable batteries means you can have more than one plus an external charger for immediate reuse.

Swappable batteries solve this problem. Especially for smaller phones.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
O
Why not? Because Apple made it the norm to design phones with batteries that are hard to replace doesn't mean that it should stay that way. Replaceable batteries means you can have more than one plus an external charger for immediate reuse.

Swappable batteries solve this problem. Especially for smaller phones.
So iPhone users buying an extra battery, plus an external charger, reduces waste?

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
O

So iPhone users buying an extra battery, plus an external charger, reduces waste?
A new iPhone every 2-3 years isn't? Add the silicon, metals, plastic, glass.

If the standard of battery + charger (size spec + adapter) stays the same for lifespan of 10-15 years, then it's not waste.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Almost no one wants to swap batteries on the go, you are member of tiny minority.. hope eu will no try to pass such a stupidity you propose here

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Almost no one wants to swap batteries on the go, you are member of tiny minority.. hope eu will no try to pass such a stupidity you propose here
Tiny minority? How do you come to this conclusion? Was it the same tiny minority that wanted all device connections in EU to be USB-C? ?

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
If that feature was that important, there will be many makers with removable batteries… are there any?

And more, what about trade offs? How many of potential buyers would accept not water/dust resistance (or at leats lower reisstance), thicker phones, probably heavier, etc.. my guess, very very tiny minority…

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Since this thread has taken so many irrelevant turns and brought out people's pet peeves about Apple in general, I assume that means that people are liking their new SE 2022 pretty well.

I have no complaints about it!

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
O

recharging is not the real problem.

and owning two batteries will NOT at all produce more garbage, it is just the opposite: If you are a heavy user without the possibility to recharge you have just the same energy consumption as you have with just one battery. Because both of the two are used just 50% they will serve you exactly the same time as if purchased one after the other. ;)

BUT it is easy to sell the old phone to someone who just needs to swap-in a new battery and then gets a usable phone.

exchanging a swappable Li-Battery when no more usable after 1000 charging is by far more environmental friendly than sending it somewhere to let someone 2 hrs put the phone in its pieces, solder it together, and sending it back… and this is even less and less the case… many Mobile phones are put somewhere in the house for the rest of their product life without any use for anyone. Often enough they get thrown 10 years later in the normal garbage instead of being recycled, empoisoning our envirement…

I am old enough to know all the nice exchangeable batteries of the early phones. It is completely nonsense to construct a device in a manner that you have to put it always in its pieces just to exchange a keyboard, a screen, or a simple battery.

The only logic is to get more money in the aftermarket from customers who are even willing to pay two times for their iPhone or their Macs … this is NOTHING but pure neverending greed of an enterprise.
nothing else….

BTW: the e-cars could also be much more environmental friendly if they had easily swappable batteries, which are much lighter And you need just to stop and wait 3 min. Until a robot has exchanged you empty battery against a full one. This would even be faster than classical fuel/gas tanking Of classic cars.

cheers

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
If that feature was that important, there will be many makers with removable batteries… are there any?

And more, what about trade offs? How many of potential buyers would accept not water/dust resistance (or at leats lower reisstance), thicker phones, probably heavier, etc.. my guess, very very tiny minority…
No one is dipping their phones in water. At least, not 99%. Removable batteries are not cost productive for manufacturers, who make money by selling more and more phones, not selling batteries.

But I want to keep on topic about SE 22.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
recharging is not the real problem.

and owning two batteries will NOT at all produce more garbage, it is just the opposite: If you are a heavy user without the possibility to recharge you have just the same energy consumption as you have with just one battery. Because both of the two are used just 50% they will serve you exactly the same time as if purchased one after the other. ;)

BUT it is easy to sell the old phone to someone who just needs to swap-in a new battery and then gets a usable phone.

exchanging a swappable Li-Battery when no more usable after 1000 charging is by far more environmental friendly than sending it somewhere to let someone 2 hrs put the phone in its pieces, solder it together, and sending it back… and this is even less and less the case… many Mobile phones are put somewhere in the house for the rest of their product life without any use for anyone. Often enough they get thrown 10 years later in the normal garbage instead of being recycled, empoisoning our envirement…

I am old enough to know all the nice exchangeable batteries of the early phones. It is completely nonsense to construct a device in a manner that you have to put it always in its pieces just to exchange a keyboard, a screen, or a simple battery.

The only logic is to get more money in the aftermarket from customers who are even willing to pay two times for their iPhone or their Macs … this is NOTHING but pure neverending greed of an enterprise.
nothing else….

BTW: the e-cars could also be much more environmental friendly if they had easily swappable batteries, which are much lighter And you need just to stop and wait 3 min. Until a robot has exchanged you empty battery against a full one. This would even be faster than classical fuel/gas tanking Of classic cars.

cheers
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I’m also old enough to have owned phones with removable batteries (and they were thin & light enough for me). I disagree with some of your points, but it’s moot – my main point was that this issue has nothing to do with battery life sometimes taking a hit after software updates (which can’t be legislated away).

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Okay so the latest iPhone SE is better than I’ve been giving it credit.

It’s still a dramatic difference compared directly to iPhone 13 Mini, but it does a lot right.

The display is calibrated to be the best it possibly could be for a 326ppi LCD. Colors are vibrant and appealing. Even movies don’t look bad by any means.

iPhone SE feels like it wants to be put down more often whereas I could stay on iPhone 13 Mini for extended periods. I’ve been impressed with the battery life despite not stressing it yet. It does seem like it could last a reasonably long time. At the same time I want to put it down the second I respond to all notifications.

Text still looks so-so and switching back and forth with iPhone 13 Mini makes me even more sensitive to the OLED flickering. The camera is fine and in decent conditions isn’t as big of a difference as would be expected. In fact, a Night Mode might be more comparable than expected if apps simulating it are any indication which may be why Apple left it off as a premium feature.

Maybe I could ride out the wait to iPhone 14 with this iPhone SE hoping Apple continues improving PWM rates. I’ll have to decide, it’s just hard to know without any rumors about a newer brightness controller.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
No one is dipping their phones in water. At least, not 99%. Removable batteries are not cost productive for manufacturers, who make money by selling more and more phones, not selling batteries.

But I want to keep on topic about SE 22.
Again, if that feature is so wanted, why noine is offering that? Would make fortune. Still dont get where is the problem - need more battery on the go, buy that one you can slap on any ip12/13.. tou need new battery inside, go to appme servis and for reasonable price you get one…

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Okay so the latest iPhone SE is better than I’ve been giving it credit.

It’s still a dramatic difference compared directly to iPhone 13 Mini, but it does a lot right.

The display is calibrated to be the best it possibly could be for a 326ppi LCD. Colors are vibrant and appealing. Even movies don’t look bad by any means.

iPhone SE feels like it wants to be put down more often whereas I could stay on iPhone 13 Mini for extended periods. I’ve been impressed with the battery life despite not stressing it yet. It does seem like it could last a reasonably long time. At the same time I want to put it down the second I respond to all notifications.

Text still looks so-so and switching back and forth with iPhone 13 Mini makes me even more sensitive to the OLED flickering. The camera is fine and in decent conditions isn’t as big of a difference as would be expected. In fact, a Night Mode might be more comparable than expected if apps simulating it are any indication which may be why Apple left it off as a premium feature.

Maybe I could ride out the wait to iPhone 14 with this iPhone SE hoping Apple continues improving PWM rates. I’ll have to decide, it’s just hard to know without any rumors about a newer brightness controller.
Thx for feedback.. still did not buy one, as i would rather have better camera.. so still rocking trusty ip11

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Since this thread has taken so many irrelevant turns and brought out people's pet peeves about Apple in general, I assume that means that people are liking their new SE 2022 pretty well.

I have no complaints about it!
No complaints. Camera performance is on-par with what I got out of my iPhone X. It struggles at distance, but again; software + the new A15 chip really gives the photos some life to them post-processing.

Nice to have smaller phone again. Yes, shoot me for not getting the iP13 Mini.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Apple must be sensing that people are adopting the SE because they're sick of ridiculously heavy, fat phones and also want the home button back. I say that because I recently got a longish questionnaire from Apple, and quite a few of the multiple choice answers featured the home button, size, and weight as options.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
I've a SE2 and I was curious about the update, but looking at the design it's basically the iphone7/8 design with the rounded edges (which is slippery AF). I don't think I will update then, because it's funny with the newer phones they went back to straight edges like 5S design. Mabye SE4 will go back to straight edges.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I've a SE2 and I was curious about the update, but looking at the design it's basically the iphone7/8 design with the rounded edges (which is slippery AF). I don't think I will update then, because it's funny with the newer phones they went back to straight edges like 5S design. Mabye SE4 will go back to straight edges.
Slim, sleek and rounded was the design/fashion of the time (the cost was small batteries) to move past the chunky phones of the past. Flat and boxy is the new fashion to allow for bigger batteries. Rounded and smooth will come back around, like all things.

Reactions: janeauburn

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The iPhone SE display is quite nice once iPhone 13 Mini has been off to the side for the past few days.

Excellent white point, a solid black level that provides a relatively strong contrast, and vibrant colors that are deep and accurate. It’s warmer as well, which is my preference. I feel that I got a strong panel on my first unit and there are no apparent issues with this phone, which makes me want to hold onto it. This is important since my second iPhone 13 Mini had a noticeably inferior OLED panel. There was also a scratch on the antenna line I noticed the second I took it out of the box, which isn’t a practical issue but tolerances are notable.

Perfectly suitable for standard smartphone usage and YouTube. The main drawback to movies is not having the ability to zoom in on cinematic content. This calibration is otherwise well-suited to videos, including 4K content.

I’ve found that there’s more of a difference in camera detail and capability. The sensor is definitely showing its age comparatively, and that’s one area that Apple could have upgraded but would have required new tooling to accommodate.

The feel is also premium and better yet than the second-generation device. The aluminum and glass do feel fantastic, and very much modern Apple. The overall design is very refined and mature. I like FaceID but TouchID works equally well.

Another surprising point to me has been that battery life seems to be the same or even possibly better than iPhone 13 Mini. I can get 5-6 hours of screen on time before the battery dies, without using high-performance apps.

This is surprisingly adequate overall as my main device, and I will complement it at some point this year with a 14” Mini LED MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
The iPhone SE display is quite nice once iPhone 13 Mini has been off to the side for the past few days.

Excellent white point, a solid black level that provides a relatively strong contrast, and vibrant colors that are deep and accurate. It’s warmer as well, which is my preference. I feel that I got a strong panel on my first unit and there are no apparent issues with this phone, which makes me want to hold onto it. This is important since my second iPhone 13 Mini had a noticeably inferior OLED panel. There was also a scratch on the antenna line I noticed the second I took it out of the box, which isn’t a practical issue but tolerances are notable.

Perfectly suitable for standard smartphone usage and YouTube. The main drawback to movies is not having the ability to zoom in on cinematic content. This calibration is otherwise well-suited to videos, including 4K content.

I’ve found that there’s more of a difference in camera detail and capability. The sensor is definitely showing its age comparatively, and that’s one area that Apple could have upgraded but would have required new tooling to accommodate.

The feel is also premium and better yet than the second-generation device. The aluminum and glass do feel fantastic, and very much modern Apple. The overall design is very refined and mature. I like FaceID but TouchID works equally well.

Anither surprising point to me has been that battery life seems to be the same or even possibly better than iPhone 13 Mini. I can get 5-6 hours of screen on time before the battery dies, without using high-performance apps.

This is surprisingly adequate overall as my main device, and I will complement it at some point this year with a 14” Mini LED MacBook Pro.
Just swapped to an se3 from a 13 mini. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how snappy this thing is. I still have my mini and may hold onto it. Or trade it in for Apple store credit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.