Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Currently its only available for ppc32. My G5 Void install is broken and i haven't had time to reinstall yet.

The newest browser i have for ppc64 would be Pale Moon from about 8 months ago.

Last edited:

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Currently its only available for ppc32. My G5 Void install is broken and i haven't had time to reinstall yet.

The newest browser i have for ppc64 would be Pale Moon from about 8 months ago.

Ahh cool, yeah I'm already using that one. :) It does a really nice job with a lot of sites!
Curious are there build instructions available? I've never compiled a browser from source, but I'd be happy to let my G5 crunch a build on Void64 if you can point me in the right direction.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Well... i can point you in the right direction, but without previous knowledge of the mozilla source and the quirks of powerpc it might be too much to handle. For starters here are the basics required to build UXP/Mozilla based browsers. You'll also need to compile the latest ICU as Void doesn't have a new enough version required by UXP. You may also run in to issues that require some hacks or work-a-rounds for powerpc. Then if it compiles successfully, you need to swap out the little endian icu.dat file with your newly built big endian icu.dat file. If it's still something you want to tackle i can assist, but it isn't as straight forward as building on x86 Linux or Mac.

Cheers

Reactions: Raging Dufus

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi All,

I successfully tested the new SeaLion 32.2.1 on MintPPC today.

Additionally, I added my preferred theme from an old version of SeaLion and I installed Greasemonkey and ViewTube successfully.

The new SeaLion works great and this is definitely my preferred web browser on Linux PPC currently.

Many thanks to Wicknix for this great browser. Well done!

Cheers,
Christian

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
32.2.2 is now available for both Mac and ppc32 Linux. (x86_64 Linux build is in the works)

Cheers

Reactions: B S Magnet
32.2.2 is now available for both Mac and ppc32 Linux. (x86_64 Linux build is in the works)

Cheers

Good work and thanks, wicknix. :)

One of these days, I’m going to drop in with a post here satirizing sealioning with SeaLion, ending with something like, “I’m only asking questions.”

• Haha
Reactions: wicknix

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017

Cheers
This is based on Firefox right? Does it support ES2022 (the latest version of JavaScript)?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It's loosely based on Firefox yes. However since about 2018, UXP has diverged and become it's own platform. It's javascript capabilities are improving. It now scores 30 out of 30 on html5test.com.

SL-javascript.png

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I added another extension to the sealion-extras.zip. This time i modified and semi-rebranded Ambassador (a fork of ChatZilla). Only 1 quirk i haven't been able to fix yet is the XUL overlay that lets it show in the tools menu drop down. So for now, just start it by typing: irc:// in the url bar. It will open in it's own window. If you've never used ChatZilla before, here is a good guide.

SeaIRC.png

I also recently added OverBiteFF as well. It's an extension that allows the browser to access Gopher sites.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks. As for the vimeo issue, i can’t reproduce it. Videos play fine. If you have any ad blockers or script blockers installed make sure they aren’t blocking vimeo or it’s subdomains.

vimeo-sealion.png

Reactions: TheShortTimer

speculative

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2023
Very interesting. I was able to play the video you linked, and most of the videos on vimeo. But a few (and I can't figure out the common denominator) just show a spinning wheel instead of loading. Here are a few videos that had that behavior. I would be curious if they play just fine on your instance?

1)
2)
3)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
You are right. Some don’t play. Here is the output of the error console on those videos:

Timestamp: 8/1/23, 5:20:02 PM
Warning: Cannot play media. No decoders for requested formats: video/mp4; codecs="hvc1", video/mp4; codecs="hvc1.2.4.H150.90", video/mp4; codecs="dvh1", video/mp4; codecs="dvh1", video/mp4; codecs="av01.0.31M.08.0.110.01.01.01.0", video/mp4; codecs="hvc1"
Source File: https://player.vimeo.com/video/846838559
Line: 0

So… it looks like that hvc1 codec isn’t supported “yet”.

I did find a converter however that may or may not work to convert downloaded videos.

speculative

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2023
Now here's a real brain bender – I stepped away from my computer for a bit, and when I came back one of the ones that wouldn't load WAS playing. But then when I reloaded the page it went back to just circling.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
software decoding hevc is going to be painful on a low-end processor anyhow.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi @wicknix,

I´ve been trying to use greasemonkey with the 32.2.2 and although it installs
and runs when I try to install a script the install on the popup dialog does not seem to
work.
Any idea what might be the problem?

Best regards,
voidRunner

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi @wicknix,

I´ve been trying to use greasemonkey with the 32.2.2 and although it installs
and runs when I try to install a script the install on the popup dialog does not seem to
work.
Any idea what might be the problem?

Best regards,
voidRunner
I have the same issue. Temporary solution for example for ViewTube:

logo.png

1. Download the SeaLion-Extras.zip package.
  2. Unpack it and install the addon greasemonkey-3.10.0.1rc3pre-sw.xpi
  3. Download the new ViewTube SeaLion package
  4. Delete the old folder gm_scripts
    rm -rf /home/<your user directory>/.wicknix/sealion/<profile directory>/gm_scripts
  5. Unpack the package and copy the folder gm_scripts to /home/<your user directory>/.wicknix/sealion/<profile directory>/
    For example:
    Code:
    cp -R Downloads/ViewTube_SeaLion_v2/gm_scripts /home/amigaone/.wicknix/sealion/iykmgak4.default/
  6. Restart SeaLion

Reactions: vddrnnr

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi @xeno74,

Thanx it worked.
I was in fact trying to get viewtube working so I can use the vlc webplugin
so it was exactly what I needed :-D

Best regards,
voidRunner

Reactions: xeno74

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yeah, it’s a known issue with GM on SL. That’s the only version i could find that even remotely worked, and it was already a modified GM for SeaMonkey when i found it. Copying your /gm_scripts/ folder from another browsers profile (arcticfox/interweb/spiderweb/tenfourfox/etc) seems to be the only way to install scripts. Otherwise it seems to work fine.

On Mac it’d be located in /Users/YourName/Library/Application Support/SeaLion/Profiles/xxxxxx.default/

Cheers

SecretSquirrel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
U.K.
SeaLion 32.3.1 is now available.

Cheers
Thanks @wicknix - really appreciate all the work you do for the community 😁

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Updated SeaLion-Extras.zip
Modified SeaIRC to include irc.libera.chat and irc.oftc.net by default.
Added ChatZilla (to replace ambassador/seairc) as it works properly now. (icon found in customize window).
Added DOM inspector.
Modified user_agent_switcher to include some modern UA's and deleted the old default IE UA's.
Added bbcodextra - it's a must have for forum users. Right click in a reply box to see what i mean.
Added fireshot - for taking web page screen shots.
Added pdf-js - for viewing PDF's via the browser.
Updated palefill to the latest version.

Oh, and i modified and included another theme. Modern2. Looks good with the Bluebird gtk theme on Linux.

modern2-theme.png

Cheers

Last edited:

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
SeaLion 32.3.1 is now available.

Cheers
Great! It works on MintPPC! Thanks a lot! Goanna 6.3! - It isn't a small bug fix release. ;-)

But Void .... :-( I love Void ... mmmmhhhh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.