Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
32.4.1 released for Mac. Linux builds will follow in the upcoming days.
Also updated the main github page with a list of supported extensions and themes.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Just wanted to write in to say how much I really appreciate you keeping older Intel OS X versions alive with browser projects like these.

My workflow on my "recent" MacBook Air pretty much died overnight thanks to WebCatalog autoupdating to a new version which doesn't work on Mojave, sending me scrambling to Chromium Legacy and SeaLion.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Just wanted to write in to say how much I really appreciate you keeping older Intel OS X versions alive with browser projects like these.

Same here - and @wicknix does this all without any request or expectation of remuneration. There's some fantastic people within this community. :)

My workflow on my "recent" MacBook Air pretty much died overnight thanks to WebCatalog autoupdating to a new version which doesn't work on Mojave, sending me scrambling to Chromium Legacy and SeaLion.

Which MBA model are you using? I primarily run Catalina on my 2GB C2D 2010 MBA thanks to the DosDude patcher. You could probably follow suit if you need a more recent version of macOS.

Thanks. It calms me when i do stuff like this. Takes my mind off of other things.

It's a nice feeling isn't it? The reward that comes from throwing yourself into positive pursuits when things aren't 100% in our lives.

Also i didn't update the post, but i just updated BrassMonkey if you like the full suite experience.

Cheers

Thank you! :D

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Which MBA model are you using? I primarily run Catalina on my 2GB C2D 2010 MBA thanks to the DosDude patcher. You could probably follow suit if you need a more recent version of macOS.
I'm still going strong on the last pre-retina MacBook Air, the 2017 13" MacBook Air 7,2, which I bought as an official Apple refurb in 2019. I did a fair bit of research on the T2 chip in the 2018/post-2018 MacBooks, and decided that I didn't want yet another piece of Apple hardware that was relentlessly locked down. I joke about how it's the first daily driver Mac I've bought that I chose purely on philosophical grounds...

Anyway, I digress! I could simply upgrade to 10.15, but I've got a lot of older 32-bit apps like games on my system, and I don't want to lose easy access to them. I suppose I could set up a dual-boot system with both Mojave and Catalina, but that would take an amount of energy and time that I simply don't have right now.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
SeaLion 32.5.0 is now available for Mac and Linux. This is a major development and security update. PowerPC Linux build will be available within the next 24 hours.

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
I compiled it for Linux PPC64 with AltiVec support yesterday.

Download: sealion-32.5.0.linux-powerpc64-altivec.tar.gz

It is also available in the Fienix software repo.

Kernel_6.6-final_PowerPC.png

Dt-Sea-Lion-32-5-0.png

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
I compiled the new SeaLion 32.5.0 for old 32-bit Linux distributions like Void PPC without AltiVec support today.

Download: sealion-32.5.0.linux-powerpc-void-gtk2.tar.bz2

.mozconfig

Code:
export CC="gcc -m32"
export CXX="g++ -m32"
mk_add_options PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2
mk_add_options AUTOCONF=/usr/bin/autoconf-2.13

# Set GTK Version to 2 or 3
_GTK_VERSION=2

ac_add_options --target=powerpc-linux-gnu
ac_add_options --host=powerpc-linux-gnu 
ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg 
ac_add_options --enable-application=navigator
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-jxl
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-devtools
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --disable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-gconf 
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-precompiled-startupcache 

export MOZ_TELEMETRY_REPORTING=0
export MOZ_ADDON_SIGNING=0
export MOZ_REQUIRE_SIGNING=0

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
SeaLion 32.5.1 is now available for Mac. Linux x86 build is in the works.

@xeno74 feel free to compile the ppc linux version when you have time. My G5 is down for awhile for repasting/cleaning so i'm skipping building this release.

Cheers

Reactions: xeno74

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Please, pardon my ignorance, but, is there a way to set bookmarks toolbar and tabs a bit taller and increase font size in adress and bookmarks windows? userChrome? about:config?
They are a bit too small for what I'm used to (Firefox) and font is definitely too small for my eyes.
I do not configure web browsers on a daily basis, so I'm lost here.

Last edited:

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I've tried setting layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to values between 1.02 and 1.05, but the result looks kind of strange.
Is there any other way to change the sizes of UI elements?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Please, pardon my ignorance, but, is there a way to set bookmarks toolbar and tabs a bit taller and increase font size in adress and bookmarks windows? userChrome? about:config?
They are a bit too small for what I'm used to (Firefox) and font is definitely too small for my eyes.
I do not configure web browsers on a daily basis, so I'm lost here.
Sure. You could add this to your userChrome.css.
Code:
/* Global UI font */
* { font-size: 11pt !important;
  font-family: Verdana !important;
}
Change the font and size to your liking.

More info can be found here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Here is the code to make the tabs larger.
Code:
/* Larger browser tabs */
tabbrowser tab {
  min-height: 30px !important;
}

tabbrowser tab {
  min-width: 400px !important;
}

And to adjust bookmarks bar:
Code:
toolbar#PersonalToolbar {
  max-height: 50px !important;
  height: 50px !important;
}

Adjust to your liking.

I suppose i should ask… are you using the Mac version or Linux version? The Linux version should follow your GTK2 settings and/or theme preferences. For best results try the gnomerunner theme (Linux only). The Mac version is a little trickier as i’m using the 10.7sdk to build these. I noticed on older OSX the fonts are normal size, but on Monterery and up they are much smaller. You could try a few of the other included themes and see if that helps. Or maybe give the menuwizard extension a shot. Or just apply these userChrome.css tweaks.

I’ve attached a custom userChrome.css below if you’d like to use it.

Cheers

Attachments

• SL-BM-userChrome.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: ojfd

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
@wicknix
Thank you very much! :)

Now that I've applied changes to all elements mentioned above, I am much more happy. I still have to think for a moment which button to press when switching between Firefox 78 and SeaLion because of different locations of Tab and Bookmarks toolbars and because of my 'learned behaviour', but, summa summarum, your creation is a real life saver!

I've ended up with following settings for the time being:
Code:
/* Global UI font */
* { font-size: 10pt !important;
  font-family: Lucida Grande !important;
}

toolbar#PersonalToolbar {
  max-height: 30px !important;
  height: 30px !important;
}

/* Larger browser tabs */
tabbrowser tab {
  min-height: 28px !important;
}

That is on a 13" non Retina MacBook Pro running modified Yosemite (Lucida Grande as system font, pre-10.9 icons, high contrast UI, reduced transparency, thicker scrollbars, traffic lights untouched.)

Btw, for those who are wondering why I am so eager to change the appearance of various elements - it's all science based ;)

More from the godfather of Mac UI design himself:

Reactions: wicknix

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
There's one thing you might find interesting. I don't know whether it's a bug or graphics glitch on my side.
The top toolbar, in all settings, except 'text only' show a darkened area at the bottom across the whole toolbar. This happens without using userChrome.css too.

darker area.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.10.45.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.10.45.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.11.28.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.11.28.png
    59 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.11.55.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.11.55.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.12.25.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.12.25.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.13.47.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.13.47.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
UPD. The darkened area dissappear if you set it to 'Use small icons', but then there's small lighter patch at the top right corner.

Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 13.12.58.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.